Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NickSeiler's 2005 Mock Draft v1.0

Based on the most recent draft order I could find, I decided to attempt a first-round mock draft for the second year in a row. Comments are welcome, and will help me structure the next version.

1. San Francisco -- Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    -The ***** won't miss the chance to take a franchise quarterback. Regardless of whether or not Carroll is going to be a part of their organization, the ***** will probably take Leinart here if they can't trade out of this pick. Even with Rattay and Dorsey, the prospect of bringing a stud QB is too tempting if they have to pick here.

2. Miami -- Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
    -Another team probably looking to trade down and address multiple needs. The 'Phins could take a QB or RB here, but the offensive line in Miami has been horrible, and no skill player is going to do well until that is secured. Despite drafting O-line in round one last year, they're going to do it again.

3. Cleveland -- Aaron Rodgers, QB, California
    -With Barron off the table, the Browns will take Rodgers and find a franchise quarterback that will grow alongside Kellen Winslow. With Garcia, Holcolm, and McCown on their roster, the Browns could use a top signal-caller, and they'll get one in Rodgers.

4. Chicago -- Mike Williams, WR, USC
    -This seems like a no-brainer pick, and it's amazing how a guy projected in the bottom of the top ten last year can see his stock rise after not playing a year. But I rank Williams over Edwards right now, and Chicago is in need of a receiver. With a good work-out, Williams will look like less of a reach here.

5. Tampa Bay -- Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
    -The Buccaneers could go RB with this pick, but Gruden probably wants a 'back with receiving abilities here, and neither Benson or Williams are strong receivers. Ronnie Brown would be a reach, so I think the Bucs address their defense with a stud defensive tackle who will replace Warren Sapp on the line.

6. Tennessee -- Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
    -The Titans need help on the offensive line, and McNeill is an amazing player at 6'9" with a lot of upside. Considering the Titans are in danger of losing both of their starting tackles because of the salary cap, drafting McNeill here makes a lot of sense in my mind.

7. Oakland -- Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
    -The Raiders need a stud running back for their offense, and while taking someone like Benson could be tempting here, the Raiders will froth at the mouth when Johnson falls to them. If Oakland is going to continue running the 3-4, Johnson will be a great addition.

8. Arizona -- Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
    -The Cardinals are going to need a playmaking running back to depend on when Emmitt Smith calls it quits, but Dennis Green likes speed in his 'backs, and none of the top running backs are burners. So I think Green addresses his defense in the first round by picking Rolle.

9. Washington -- Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    -Washington needs a pass rusher, and James is an absolute beast on the line of scrimmage. He's struggled with some injury problems, but his natural ability and upside make him too tempting for the Redskins to pass up. His stock really rose this last year.

10. Detroit -- Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
    -Detroit takes local product Jackson here not only because of their need at safety but because of injuries to Dre Bly and Fernando Bryant. Jackson has experience at both corner and safety and thus could help at either position, but could probably challenge Bryant for a starting role in a disappointing secondary.

11. Dallas -- Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
    -A playmaker is what the Cowboys secondary is seeking, and Pacman Jones has a nose for the ball. Plus, Jones is good in run support and isn't afraid to take a hit while making a tackle. After losing Mario Edwards, the Cowboys will welcome Jones to their secondary.

12. San Diego (f/NYG) -- Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    -Let's face it, Shane Olivea isn't your ideal right tackle, and the Chargers need to add some youth to that offensive line. With two picks in the first round and needs at cornerback and defensive end, I think the Chargers wait and address their defense later, picking the best offensive tackle on the board here.

13. Houston -- Marcus Spears, DE, L.S.U.
    -The Texans have only used one first-day pick on a defensive lineman in three years. That changes in 2005, when they draft Marcus Spears, who projects to be an ideal fit in a 3-4 scheme. Spears could probably play either tackle or end because of his versatility, and is a playmaker that the Texans need.

14. Carolina -- Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
    -The Panthers would love some offensive line help, but the top three tackles are off the board. With Muhsin Muhammad seeking a big contract in free agency, I think the Panthers will let him walk and take Edwards, who is a big receiver that will compliment Steve Smith and Keary Colbert.

15. Kansas City -- Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
    -At 5'11" and 200 lbs, Miller fits the mold of a typical Chiefs cornerback. He's a playmaker that would really improve the AFC's worst pass defense, and also is an excellent return man, a threat that could possibly help free up Dante Hall for a larger role in the Chiefs offense.

16. New Orleans -- Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
    -The Saints could really use some help at linebacker, but I don't think they pass up the kind of talent and potential that Davis has shown. Davis is a strong physical defensive back that can move up to the line to support the run because of his strong tackling abilities. If worse comes to worse, the Saints could try to move him to linebacker.

17. Cincinnati -- Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    -A beast at 345 lbs, and while Lewis might prefer smaller defensive tackles, he needs a stud lineman to stop the run, and Ngata fits the bill. He has amazing athletic ability and speed for a man of his size, and will help as a pass rusher as well.

18. Minnesota -- Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
    -Chris Hovan is most likely gone from Minnesota, which means the Vikings need to look for someone to compliment Kevin Williams. Johnson can penetrate as a one-gap pass rusher and improved his stock dramatically during his senior season. I think he'll be better in run support for the Vikings than someone like Cody out of USC.

19. St. Louis -- Kevin Burnett, LB, Tennessee
    -The Rams need help on the offensive line, but the top tackles have been taken. The next position of need is linebacker, and Barnett is the best on the board. He's a leader with excellent ability and good size, as well as the kind of speed that will allow him to make plays all over the field. This pick would allow the Rams to let Tommy Polley walk and free up money to be spent addressing other need areas.

20. Dallas (f/BUF) -- David Pollack, DE, Georgia
    -The guy's got a hell of a motor, and the Cowboys probably won't be picking up the bonus on Wiley, who has been a disappointment this season. Pollack is a good pass rushing defensive end and will be a productive member of the Dallas defensive line.

21. Jacksonville -- Ernest Shazor, S, Michigan
    -The way I hear it, Donovan Darius isn't pleased about being given the franchise tag the last two seasons. Considering Jacksonville entertained trade offers last spring for him, I don't think they're willing to sign him to the kind of deal he wants. Therefore, they'll take Shazor here, who is also a big hitter and in the Darius mold.

22. Baltimore -- Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
    -If the Ravens don't make a run at one of the top free agent receivers this offseason, and I wouldn't blame them if they didn't after the TO fiasco, then I could see them taking Clayton here as he's the best receiver on the board at this position. I'm confident that Boller can be a good quarterback, but the first step in getting him there is giving him some targets.

23. Seattle -- Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
    -Running backs have been going lower and lower in the last few drafts, and I couldn't see a team that really needed a running back as their top priority over other positions. And while the Seahawks will probably want to address their weak defense in the draft, they won't be able to pass up on the talent of Benson, who should compete immediately for a job if Shaun Alexander isn't retained.

24. Green Bay -- Alex Smith, QB, Utah
    -If ever Brett Favre was going to retire, I think it's going to be this year. I don't anticipate that some of the better young quarterbacks (Brees, Hasselbeck) will be available in free agency, so the Packers will take Smith here, which might be considered a bit of a reach but I think Smith's intelligence and leadership abilities make him a good pick for Green Bay.

25. Denver -- Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
    -The Broncos have needed a presence at tight end since Sharpe retired, and while they could easily use this pick on the defensive side of the ball, I think they'll jump at the chance to take the best tight end in this year's class. Miller provides not only a great receiving target but also a decent blocker. Giving Plummer yet another target to throw to should only help him continue to develop in the Broncos offense.

26. New York Jets -- Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    -The Jets would have loved to nab someone like Pacman Jones, but they're not getting a raw deal by taking Rogers here. The Auburn cornerback has good size and speed with a lot of experience to back his play up, but might need some motivation. Still, the Jets will be more than willing to take a chance on a very naturally talented young man.

27. Atlanta -- Brodney Pool, S, Oklahoma
    -Atlanta's defense has been the talk of the town this season, but there's certainly room for improvement. In a secondary that boasts upwards of 12 interceptions on the year, free safety Cory Hall doesn't have a single one. Pool has a nose for the ball and a lot of upside, and I think he would be a great fit at free safety for the Atlanta Falcons.

28. San Diego -- Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
    -San Diego addressed their offensive line earlier in the first round, and I think they stay on that side of the ball with this pick. At 6'2", Williamson has good size but more importantly displays excellent speed and is a big threat whenever he gets the ball. The San Diego offense is slowly but surely gaining some valuable weapons, and they'll benefit from having another young target to throw to.

29 Indianapolis -- Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon State
    -Who in the world are Joseph Jefferson and Von Hutchins? They're players who have seen more time than they should have because of injuries to a Colts secondary already in need of help. Browner is a beast at 6'4" and shows excellent speed with a nose for the ball. He's still a bit raw, but has really done well in the Pac-10 over his career and would add a great player in a need position for Indy.

30 New England -- Jason Allen, DB, Tennessee
    -The Patriot secondary was so decimated by injuries this season that Troy Brown had to play cornerback for them. That usually means it's a position of need, and I think the Patriots will jump on a young junior with versatility and good physical skills. Allen could either stay at corner or replace Eugene Wilson at free safety, allowing Wilson to move back to cornerback himself. Allen's ability to play the run is an added benefit for the Patriots.

31 Philadelphia -- Channing Crowder, LB, Florida
    -Neither Mark Simoneau or Jeremiah Trotter are the future for the Eagles at this position, so why not take a player who many feel would be a steal here? Crowder has some character issues that might need to be addressed, but has been an extremely productive player. He's aggressive with good size and speed, making plays all over the field. The Eagles will be happy to add another defensive player to their already dangers group.

32 Pittsburgh -- Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
    -Kimo von Oelhoffen is on the downside of his career. Nearing 34-years-old, the Steelers need to add another playmaker to their defensive line if they want to continue ranking in the elite levels. Cody is a good athlete, a solid pass rusher, and a team leader. He could also be used as a linebacker in Pittsburgh's 3-4 system, which makes him an ideal pick for the Steelers at the bottom of the first round.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: NickSeiler's 2005 Mock Draft v1.0

17 hours, not one comment. Maybe I should have posted it in the Ram forum...

Plus, it seems this is already outdated, as Jason Allen has decided to stay at school.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-13-2005 at 09:28 PM.

GSOT is offline Registered User

Cody will GO MUCH HIGHER prob top 10 trust me.

Another change - Marcus McNeill is staying in school.

viper is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    17 hours, not one comment.
    Don't you hate it when that happens?

I'm afraid I don't follow college ball enough to be of any assistance here, Nick. But, I do know a good effort when I see it. You've obviously put a lot of time into this. It appears to be well thought out. Good job!

I think a LB would be a good pick in the 1st round for the Rams if there are no top tier O-linemen left.

elAcky Guest

I can;t see Miami going for an OT in the first round with their many needs. I can see them going WR or even QB but i agree that there best shot is to trade down. I also think that Alex Smith will go higher.. maybe Arizona, Detroit, Dallas !!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I have read it Nick, just a little early for me to think of the draft. Besides I got us picking last ;-)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Once the season is done, we'll open a Draft Forum, and the talk will pick up then.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Another change - Marcus McNeill is staying in school.
    Maybe (Hopefully) I'm wrong, but aren't we looking at the 25th spot at best since we are in the final 8?

With Ferguson and now McNeil staying in school, I'm quite sure there will not be a 1st round OT left by the time we pick. So, I'd agree with you Nick, Burnett is the way to go.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Excellent analysis Nick. The Dolphins need to address their RB and QB problems as well if not in the draft then in Free Agency.

I can accept the Rams not taking OT in the first round if they do so later. I would rather see some secondary help in the first round though.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't think there's any real way to predict what Miami is going to do with Saban coming in. No loyalties to past players as well as no NFL head coaching experience/tendencies from Saban. I happen to think they (Miami) will go after Edgerrin to fill their rb needs and a FA qb will likely be the route Miami takes to compete with now incumbent starter Feeley. They've got a lot tied up in Feely so I don't know that they're too anxious to see he lose the starting job. Again though, the new coach is too much of a wild card at this point to make any realistic predictions. It all depends on how much control Saban is given by ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    I can accept the Rams not taking OT in the first round if they do so later. I would rather see some secondary help in the first round though.
    Other than OT, I go back and forth between a LB or help in the secondary in the 1st round. I have nightmares of opponents converting on 3rd and 25 over and over as they have in the past. Edwards has been a solid addition. But, I'd still like to see a shutdown corner or safety. Someone like Trufant would work.

Leinart's staying in school, so that's another top pick on here that's gone.

Leinart's staying in school, so that's another top pick on here that's gone.
    Come on Nick, where were you getting your intel? Close to 10% (and climbing) have fallen by the wayside. Apparently, your people have been having difficulty judging the intentions of these young men. Just kidding...I do appreciate the analysis you have done. It has given me a starting point for consideration. Some things to think about. Thank you.

By the way, I'm with RamWraith, my board (ya right) has us picking last! :redface:

Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -01-15-2005 at 01:40 PM.

That's what happens when you do a mock before the deadline for declaration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast