Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Re: NickSeiler's 2005 Mock Draft v1.0

OK! Where were we? Anybody up for a dominant LB that can stop the run?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    OK! Where were we? Anybody up for a dominant LB that can stop the run?
    I'm ready for one. The fact that Blackstock has entered into the draft means that there's a good chance we could get a quality linebacker. I know some people who have Blackstock rated as the second highest prospect after Johnson, which boasts well for us.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I think Cody from OU would be a great push for the somewhat dismal D-LINE we have now!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that I'd rather see us choose a player that's not a defensive lineman.

rampete is offline Registered User

personally i'd like to see the rams get a chance to get a Carlos Rogers CB or a Ernest Shazor FS/LB who's 6'4" 230...

k. barnett reminds me polley in that he gets pushed around by o-linemen on consistent basis...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    personally i'd like to see the rams get a chance to get a Carlos Rogers CB or a Ernest Shazor FS/LB who's 6'4" 230...

k. barnett reminds me polley in that he gets pushed around by o-linemen on consistent basis...
    Shazor would be a better project at strong safety, I believe. Rogers might be a nice addition, but I don't think he's worth a first round pick, and I doubt he's there in the second.

As for Burnett, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a linebacker to win a battle against an offensive lineman. If he was struggling with tight ends or fullbacks, then I'd be concerned. Everything I've read about him has been very strong, although he could stand to add some weight. I'd feel more comfortable with him on the field at this point than Polley.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Hey Nick, Please clue me in as to who is Mr. Blackstock. And what are his measurables and bio if you will. Thanx in advance.

WHAT SAY YE?

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Shazor would be a better project at strong safety, I believe. Rogers might be a nice addition, but I don't think he's worth a first round pick, and I doubt he's there in the second.

As for Burnett, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a linebacker to win a battle against an offensive lineman. If he was struggling with tight ends or fullbacks, then I'd be concerned. Everything I've read about him has been very strong, although he could stand to add some weight. I'd feel more comfortable with him on the field at this point than Polley.
    yeah, rogers and shazor may not be worth a 1st rd. pick...

...but in regards to burnett, i've watched two tennesse games on telecast this past season and frankly i wasn't wowwed by him at all...he reminded me alot of polley; tall, lanky, good in pursuit but gets stucked to and pushed around by opponent blockers...

sure, nobody expects a 230lb LB to overwhelm a 300lb guard or center but the good LBs in this league either out runs their opponent to the ball carrier or manage to use technique and leverage to maintain a stalemate...

i think you may want to check out a kid from maryland by the name of Shawne Merriman: 6'4" 245 and runs a reported 4.6...i think he'll go somewhere in 2nd or 3rd rd...

RAMarkable, Darryl Blackstock is an outside linebacker from Virginia. He's spent time in the 3-4 system there and has probably been overshadowed by guys like Ahmad Brooks, but he's a good pass rusher from the outside. 6-4, 240 lbs, so good size. And he runs somewhere in the 4.7 range from the site I'm looking at, so I'd say he has pretty decent speed. He doesn't tend to overrun plays, but he's not great in coverage, especially in a zone. He's probably a top three outside linebacker in this class depending on how you rank him with Burnett.

Rampete, you're the second Ram fan I've heard make a comparison to Polley, so I'll definitely take that under advisement for the second version of the draft. If Polley isn't working for us, Polley v2.0 won't be much better. Thanks for the info!

elAcky Guest

I think we should go for Heath Miller - he may well be there when it comes to our pick

I've thought about it and looking at what is available around our pick (and unless we get a gift like last year) i don;t think there will be anyone that can make an immediate impact on D..

I think with a better scheme we are set at DL and FA seems the route for LB's.. so DB looks like the obvious choice.. but i am not seeing a stud there at 25 this year...

We will not be able to address our OL problems totally this offseason and we need immedaite help so maybe we need to work with what we have but plan a scheme that will disguise our short comings - to me that means a genuine short passing game hence my prediction. I've go OL in round 2

Heath Miller is a pretty intriguing pick, especially when you consider the play (or lack there of) of Brandon Manumaleuna this season. Miller's ability as a receiver makes him an ideal fit in a system like Martz's that could use a big TE target down in the red zone, and while he's not dominating as a blocker, he does a decent enough job.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

sure, nobody expects a 230lb LB to overwhelm a 300lb guard or center but the good LBs in this league either out runs their opponent to the ball carrier or manage to use technique and leverage to maintain a stalemate...
    This may say more about the deficiencies of the UT d-lineman than Burnett. If O-lineman are getting free shots at Burnett, I'd say there are DTs and DEs not doing their job.
    i think you may want to check out a kid from maryland by the name of Shawne Merriman: 6'4" 245 and runs a reported 4.6...i think he'll go somewhere in 2nd or 3rd rd...
    Merriman is an outstanding 'tweener, and will be a great OLB/DE for some team, but I think he's gone by our 2nd pick, and would be something of a gamble with our 1st pick, but certainly worth consideration in the 1st.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Merriman is an outstanding 'tweener, and will be a great OLB/DE for some team, but I think he's gone by our 2nd pick, and would be something of a gamble with our 1st pick, but certainly worth consideration in the 1st.
    Probably better suited for a 3-4 system as well.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The Rams have too many glaring weaknesses on D to draft a TE in round 1. Besides, Heath Miller is a pretty bad blocker I'd say. And that's the TE's main purpose in Martz's offensive scheme.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Anyone know anything about Ronald Bartell? He's a 6'2 CB from Howard that runs a 4.4.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast