Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

NickSeiler's Thanksgiving Day Mock Draft

Alright, it's Thanksgiving, which means the college football season is wrapping up, and the pro season is only a couple months from the same. It's pretty darn early to start prognosticating what's going to happen in April, but when has that ever stopped me from thinking about the draft?

So with that said, here's an early (and I emphasize early) look at how I think the first round may go down, based on what we know now. Draft order is current through Week 11.

1. Houston: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    -The Texans need a complete blow-up of their team, but one thing they've been right about the last few seasons is the need for a franchise left tackle. D'Brickashaw is just that, and is the perfect selection for a team that would probably be hesitant to spend huge money on another first-overall QB.

2. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    -Is there really a better situation for Leinart? I mean, not only are you going to a team that has some offensive potential already in place, but you're also reuniting with your college offensive coordinator. Under Norm Chow, Leinart will develop into a great quarterback.

3. NY Jets: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    -Curtis Martin was one of the feel-good stories of 2004, as he had a really great season that hardly anyone expected. But he's not getting any younger, and with the Jets averaging only 76.8 yards on the ground through 11 weeks of football, Reggie Bush is the no-brainer choice here.

4. New Orleans: AJ Hawk, LB, Ohio State
    -The Saints have a couple of needs they could address, but linebacker has been an area of concern for a while. Who better to fill that need than the best linebacker in the country, AJ Hawk? He's had a tremendous season and will instantly become a leader for the Saints defense.

5. San Fransisco: Jimmy Williams, DB, VA Tech
    -The ***** have had way too many injuries in the secondary for it to not rank as one of their biggest needs this spring. Jimmy Williams could step in as an immediate starter at either cornerback or safety, where Ahmed Plummer, Mike Rumph, and Mike Adams have failed to produce results.

6. Green Bay: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    -With the top cornerback and linebacker off the table, the Packers really have no choice but to address their offensive backfield, especially after critical comments from GM Ron Wolf were made about the running game, as well as the fact that Ahman Green is up for free agency this spring.

7. Miami: Eric Winston, OT, Miami
    -The Miami Dolphins have tried to fill holes on the offensive line through free agency with Stockar McDougle, but he was benched in favor of Vernon Carey, who is still probably a better fit at guard. Drafting Winston would allow Miami to move Damion McIntosh to RT and Carey inside.

8. Arizona: Ahmad Brooks, LB, Virginia
    -The Cardinals have one of the worst run defenses in the league this season, so upgrading the front seven is a priority. Ahmad Brooks has had some injury problems this year, but is a physical freak of nature and is one of the best LB prospects in years. I suspect if he comes out, he'll be too good to pass up here.

9. Baltimore: Mario Williams, DE, NC State
    -The Baltimore Ravens have been quite disappointing this season, and the defense is partially to blame. The Ravens are middle-of-the-pack in sacks this year, a problem that could be solved by adding Mario Williams, who is considered by some to be the best defensive end prospect since Julius Peppers in 2002

10. Buffalo: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    -The loss of Pat Williams on the defensive line hurt the Buffalo Bills more than they originally thought, and the loss of Ron Edwards for the season added insult to injury. Ngata is the top defensive tackle in this class, and should work efficiently next to Adams on the line.

11. St. Louis: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
    -The Rams have needs on both sides of the ball, but with one of the worst defensive units in the league, the choice between units seems clear. St. Louis would have loved Jimmy Williams, but Greenway is a talented, disciplined player who will provide an immediate upgrade.

12. Cleveland: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    -The Browns chose LJ Shelton over Ross Verba as their starting left tackle, and all indications point to Shelton not living up to expectations. Should Joe Thomas come out, he would be a solid pick here for the Browns with Ferguson and Winston off the table.

13. Detroit: Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
    -Marcus McNeill's stock has fallen a bit, but he still projects as a very good right tackle prospect, and that's one of the positions of need for the Lions after they let McDougle go last season. With McNeill at RT, the Lions' offense should make significant strides both through the air and on ground.

14. Oakland: Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
    -With the top linebackers off the table, the Raiders have to add youth to their defensive line. Tackles Warren Sapp, Ted Washington, and Ed Jasper have a combined age in the triple digits, and there's virtually nothing behind them. Watson is a big force that would be a nice fit in their rotation.

15. Philadelphia: Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    -While Jevon Kearse has already amassed seven sacks this year, N.D. Kalu only has one for 2005. On top of that, Jerome McDougle has dealt with a number of setbacks that have kept him off the field. Kiwanuka is a huge prospect that could really take advantage of the extra attention Kearse receives.

16. Minnesota: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    -Do the Vikings have a running back they can count on? Michael Bennett has been disappointing and is probably gone after this season. Mewelde Moore is perhaps nothing more than a situational back. The Vikings need Maroney, whom people in Minnesota are more than familiar with.

17. Denver (f/WAS): Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
    -Tight end may not seem like a huge need, but the Denver offense would benefit from another target in the passing game, and I don't think they would pass up the chance to grab one of the best tight end prospects in this class to finally fill the hole left by Shannon Sharpe.

18. Atlanta: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    -The Falcons have tried to address their weakness at safety with players like Ronnie Heard and Keion Carpenter, but neither are more than journeymen players. It's time the position was upgraded with legit talent, and LaRon Landry fits the bill, as he can play both safety positions.

19. New England: Michael Huff, DB, Texas
    -Injuries and depth are finally catching up to the New England Patriots as they look beatable for the first time since 2002. There are a number of disappointments in the secondary, which is why a player like Michael Huff would be a perfect fit due to his versatility.

20. Kansas City: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    -The Chiefs have managed top-tier offensive production despite one of the weakest groups of receivers in the league. By drafting Santonio Holmes, the Chiefs not only get a quality player at great value, but are able to upgrade their passing game with a player who could be a starter very quickly.

21. San Diego: Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise St.
    -Colledge is quickly rising up many draft boards as one of the top tackles in the country, and while San Diego does have a very strong offensive line, left tackle Roman Oben is 33-years-old and there isn't much depth behind him. Colledge is a great selection to ensure the future of the line.

22. Tampa Bay: Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
    -With Carnell Williams in the backfield, the offensive mindset of the Buccaneers should be clear: pound the rock. But they're not going to be able to do so unless they upgrade their offensive line. With a number of the top tackle prospects off the board, the Bucs should take Jean-Gilles to upgrade the interior.

23. Chicago: Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    -Leonard Pope is an athletic freak and is arguably the best tight end in this class. For the Bears to get him in the mid 20s is great value. Pope would give the Bears, be it under Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton, yet another target in the passing game, which they desperately need.

24. Carolina: Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas
    -After moving Jordan Gross back to his more natural position of right tackle, the Panthers find themselves with questions as to who is manning the left side of the line. It sounds as if the Travelle Wharton experiment may be over, at least as a left tackle, so Jon Scott makes a lot of sense here.

25. Jacksonville: DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia
    -The Jaguar secondary is an area of strength, especially with the kind of season Rashean Mathis is having, but I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed depth there, considering the undersized Terry Cousin will be 31 in the spring, and Kenny Wright is getting up there as well.

26. Cincinnati: Darnell Bing, S, USC
    -The Bengals have really had a stellar year, specifically on the offensive side of the ball with Carson Palmer taking the next step as a QB. But the defense could still use an upgrade, especially at the SS position. Adding Bing to play next to Madieu Williams in the secondary would be a great decision.

27. Pittsburgh: Davin Joseph, OL, Oklahoma
    -The foundation of a good running attack is the offensive line, and while the Steelers have a number of young candidates that could step up and fill some shoes, I don't think they can pass up a tackle/guard 'tweener in Davin Joseph here, who could at worst provide excellent depth.

28. NY Giants: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
    -The Giants have seen a lot of different names in their group of linebackers this season, many forced into their roles because of injuries. After upgrading the group through free agency with the addition of Antonio Pierce, the Giants could upgrade once more by drafting a playmaker like Ryans.

29. Dallas: Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
    -Offensive tackle is a priority, but many of the top candidates are off the table. The Cowboys would like to see better results from their offense in the red zone, and nothing helps a red zone offense better than a big target to throw to. At 6'5", Martin Nance is a quality receiver who would fill that role.

30. Seattle: Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
    -Despite the play of linebackers like Lofa Tatupu and LeRoy Hill, the Seahawks could use an upgrade at the linebacker position. Extremely fast and atheletic, Thomas Howard is a quality player overshadowed in part by the top-tier strength of the linebackers in this class.

31. Denver: Rodrique Wright, DT, Michigan
    -Playing the waiting game pays off for Denver, who went tight end earlier and now can address their defensive line at this later position by taking Wright in a less risky position. Rodrique has been inconsistent as a linemen in college but has a load of potential and upside.

32. Indianapolis: Abdul Hodge, MLB, Iowa
    -At 10-0 it's hard to find a clear cut area of need for the Indianapolis Colts, but I think MLB is an area that could be addressed. Gary Brackett has overachieved as a starting middle linebacker, and despite his strong play, the Colts would benefit from adding a player like Hodge to their defense if only for depth.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

Re: NickSeiler's Thanksgiving Day Mock Draft

Nice work Nick. I think our LB's are serviceable for now. Meaning, I'd like to see the Rams get a ball hawk DB in the 1st round. Are you assuming the best defensive player available for us which happens to fill a need? Would it be too early to take Michael Huff? Do you think he could significantly improve our secondary?

I thought about a couple of guys at that spot in the draft before concluding that Greenway was the way to go.

First was Huff, and as you said, I thought it was a bit too early for him. I'm not sure if he projects as a corner or a safety. Maybe he could fill an Aeneas Williams-type role and rotate between safety and slot corner. But I'd feel better about selecting him if we were closer toward the 15-18 range. Plus, I also suspected that if the first round shaped out like this, there would be some solid corners available in the second and perhaps third rounds.

I also thought about Kiwanuka, but I've read there are some concerns about his ability to defend the run and his motivation, so I'm not convinced we should take him at that position despite being a huge natural pass rusher off the end.

Tight end is an option, but I really think the Rams would be making a mistake devoting their first pick to the offense.

That really only left me with interior D-line or linebacker, and I felt linebacker was the choice. We do have bodies at linebacker, but if I had to pick between rotating in Chillar or Greenway, I'd take Greenway every time. Great size, good open field tackler, great recognition skills, solid in coverage. Had a great INT in the Iowa/Minn game.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-24-2005 at 01:02 AM.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User
    Nice job Nick. I'm just gonna throw this out there. I think that if the Titans have the number 2 pick like you suggested they take Reggie Bush. I can see the Titans replacing Chris Brown and Travis Henry has been a bust for them. Then the Jets get Leinart because I think Pennington is done.

I know you put alot of thought into your post, but what do you think about my suggestion? Just curious thanks.

Oh also Nick you sure that the Lions won't take another WR? They have to replace Charles Rogers now. LOL LOL LOL
    Last edited by Nick; -11-24-2005 at 02:21 AM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

viper is offline Registered User

Thanks Nick. I'm just convinced that until we find a playmaker or two in the secondary we will continue to struggle defensively. The cost in the F/A market for DB's is very expensive, so I'm hoping we can do it through the draft.

Here's a link to Greenway if anyone is interested. He's a pretty big boy!

http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.c...ay_chad00.html

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I'm just gonna throw this out there. I think that if the Titans have the number 2 pick like you suggested they take Reggie Bush. I can see the Titans replacing Chris Brown and Travis Henry has been a bust for them. Then the Jets get Leinart because I think Pennington is done.
    It's certainly a possibility. Henry may very well be gone after this year, because he has a large bonus option that will have to be picked up this spring if he's to remain on the team. Brown has been dinged up in the past and is a free agent after 2006, so the Titans might take Bush and let Brown walk after next season.

The Jets could take Leinart, but I think they're too financially committed to Pennington to spend a high first round pick on a QB already.

Chances are though Houston tries to trade down from the #1 spot, so really it's anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Thanks Nick. I'm just convinced that until we find a playmaker or two in the secondary we will continue to struggle defensively.
    I agree, and sadly, the Rams are kind of stuck where they are now. I'm not convinced they're high enough in the draft order to get Jimmy Williams, and they're probably too high to take any other DB right now. That may change in the coming months as players move up and down the value board, though. And I agree with you that free agent corners are pretty expensive.

That said, even though he's only 5'10", I wouldn't rule out Tye Hill as a possibility in our secondary. I know everyone wants a bigger corner to be able to contend with bigger receivers, but 6'1" and 6'2" corners aren't really that common to begin with, and Hill is a very good cover man. He plays the ball well and has great speed. Probably not a good value pick right now on the outskirts of the top ten, but if he's there in round two or if we slide down the order towards the middle of the first with Williams and Huff already gone, I'd really consider taking him.

BoomGoesTheDynamite! is offline Registered User

Nice write up Nick. Good Job.

Just sad that we're talking about the draft in week 12.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

nice job nick, that looks like a lot of work, thanks for the information.

I'm working on a three-round mock to be posted soon, either this week or next.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Great job!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Great Job! Nick that was a great mockdraft. Thanks man I can't disagree with that Draft!
    RamsFan16

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice. I guess the real wild cards for the early first round will be the decisions of Vince Young and Brady Quinn about entering the draft.

Holt81Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Great job Nick!! Greenway would be a great pick for us.

socalramfan is offline Registered User

Vince Young stays?

Quote Originally Posted by socalramfan
    Vince Young stays?
    Two weeks ago when I made this draft, I thought he might. Since then he's kind of backed off the comments about him staying, and it sounds like he might come out. I'm including him in my next mock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast