Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KoaKoi

Thread: Niners Almost Sure To Trade Up

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Niners Almost Sure To Trade Up

Last year the Niners filled a big need by dealing up to get Eric Reid.

A team in the Niners position is looking for impact guys to fill need, not a bunch of depth guys.

This year, the Niners have 6 picks the first three rounds, with an extra #2 from KC and TWO extra #3 picks, one 13th overall in that round.

There is no question that the Niners will be looking for a move

One of those late #2 picks and one of the threes would be enough to move the Niners from 30th to 15th.

The Rams need a speed receiver, and at 15 they could get Cooks, Lee, Beckham, Benjamin, whoever they covet most.

Could the Niners really go for it and try to get Mike Evans with a huge deal up?

Probably not.

With Alden Smith off the felony hook, a pass rusher isn't the same need now for SF, and their other big need, at CB, would not seem to need a big deal up, just a smaller one.

Whoever it is for, I don't see the Niners holding their water for 29 picks.

Barry Waller

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Niners Almost Sure To Trade Up

Quote Originally Posted by Waller
    their other big need, at CB, would not seem to need a big deal up, just a smaller one.
    Depending on who they want, they might have to move as high as #10 to get their CB. Of course, if they're fine with any of the top 3-5, they may not have to move much at all. Do you see them moving as high #10 to shoot for Gilbert (or whomever they see as #1)?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams need a speed receiver, and at 15 they could get Cooks, Lee, Beckham, Benjamin, whoever they covet most.
    I don't get this comment. First, the Rams have two speed receivers: Austin and Givens. Second, on that list you include Benjamin, who is a big receiver, not a speed receiver, and Lee, who ran a disappointing 40 time at the Combine.

Whoever it is for, I don't see the Niners holding their water for 29 picks.
    I hope they do trade up. I'd rather see them take a flier on one player who, hopefully, would not pan out, than see them stockpile quality players on Day 2.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't get this comment. First, the Rams have two speed receivers: Austin and Givens. Second, on that list you include Benjamin, who is a big receiver, not a speed receiver, and Lee, who ran a disappointing 40 time at the Combine.

I hope they do trade up. I'd rather see them take a flier on one player who, hopefully, would not pan out, than see them stockpile quality players on Day 2.
    I'm going to assume he wrote Rams instead of Niners by mistake since his entire post had to do with their draft strategy.

Completely agree on the second point. It is known that this is a particularly deep draft so if they want to surrender a bunch of their mid-round picks to move up for one guy then I hope they do so.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Oh I see.... ***** moving from 30 to 15 is part of his hypothetical. Got it. Yeah, he meant ******.

On another note, I can see quite the opposite occurring as well. Certainly, if the premise is true, then they are just as likely to want to spread their wealth. They could just as simply stay where they are and get great quality with a few of their high picks, and trade some of them for additional picks next year.

On a personal note, I find it massively disappointing that the ****** have that many picks in the first 3 rounds in a year where the consensus is that the draft class is very deep in talent. (But at least I can rest easy with the knowledge that the Rams have 12 picks total.... just wish half of them weren't in the 6th and 7th round)
    Randart likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the ***** could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

***** GM Trent Baalke is working with 11 picks, including six selections in the top 100, so he has plenty of ammo to execute a trade up. Mort suggested the ***** targeting Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, perhaps with a move into the top five. Mortensen said Oakland is "open for business" at No. 5 overall, and compared the hypothetical scenario to Atlanta's 2011 trade up for Julio Jones. Anquan Boldin is entering his age-34 season; Michael Crabtree is in a contract year.
    Good call Waller.