Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

No doubt Michael Crabtree is fast enough for the NFL

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
    cjwilliams@star-telegram.com
    Friday, Feb 13, 2009
    Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2009

MCKINNEY ó Cornerbacks have talked a lot of trash to Michael Crabtree over the years. Theyíve called him every name in the book.

"But I seem to show them when itís time to show," the former Texas Tech receiver said Wednesday. " ... I donít do too much talking. I like to prove my point."

The one thing a cornerback has never been dumb enough to call Crabtree is "slow."

Crabtree always has been fast enough on the football field. Fast enough to catch 231 passes for 3,127 yards and 41 touchdowns in 26 games. Fast enough to twice win the Biletnikoff Award as the nationís best receiver. Fast enough to finish fifth in voting for the Heisman Trophy in 2008.

Yet, Crabtreeís speed now is being questioned. Itís the one negative on his scouting report.

That has brought Crabtree to the Michael Johnson Performance Center, where Johnson, the four-time gold-medalist and nine-time world champion, has been charged with making Crabtree faster. Crabtree has been training with 13 other draft prospects, including Mississippi offensive tackle Michael Oher, Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew and Virginia Tech defensive back Victor "Macho" Harris, since Jan. 6.

"[Crabtree] has got it," said Lance Walker, the director for performance at the Michael Johnson Performance Center. "Iíve seen bursts of what heís got. ... Now, can we get him to funnel all that together for some silly 40-yard dash thing? I donít know. I can tell you this: Heís not 4.55 on the field. Thereís no way. The guys that know, they know what Iím talking about. Thereís field speed, and thereís 40-yard dash speed."

The NFLís all-time leading rusher, Emmitt Smith, ran a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. The NFLís all-time leading receiver, Jerry Rice, ran 4.71.

Crabtree is being compared to Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald. At 6-foot-2 1/2 , 208 pounds, Crabtree is close to Fitzgeraldís build (6-3, 225), and Fitzgerald ran a 4.55 at his Pro Day in 2004. Scouts expect Crabtree to run something similar.

"The quickest way to understand Crabtreeís potential is to consider the possibility that he is the second-coming of Larry Fitzgerald," NFL Draft Scoutís report of Crabtree begins. "There, itís said. ... He may not impress with his clock time in 40 yards, but neither did Fitzgerald or Jerry Rice."

Crabtree wonít run at the NFL Scouting Combine, which begins next Wednesday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. He will wait until his personal Pro Day at John Kincaide Stadium in Dallas in late March.

Crabtreeís high right ankle sprain, which limited him to a career-low four catches for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl, is "85 percent, maybe even 90" percent healed. But he said it isnít a big issue since he played hurt during the season.

Ultimately, Crabtreeís speed wonít be a big issue either.

No matter what Crabtree runs in the 40, he isnít likely to have a long wait on draft day. NFL Draft Scout, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper and Scouts Inc. all have Crabtree as the top player in the draft, though he isnít likely to go first overall to the Detroit Lions.

"Crabtree is a big kid with great hands, great competitiveness," Kiper said in a conference call Wednesday. "He doesnít have great 40 speed, because people forget how big he is. Heís a big kid. Heís kind of like a Larry Fitzgerald-type, that power forward playing wide receiver.

"Crabtree could go four to Seattle and even earlier than that. I think heís the best player in the draft."

Crabtree said he hasnít been timed in the 40-yard dash since high school, when he ran a 4.5. When asked if he was "fast enough," Crabtree responded, "You tell me."

"A football player is a football player," he added. "The slowest guy can score touchdowns and shake people and make moves the next man canít do. I see a football player as a football player."

Thereís no arguing Crabtree is that.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: No doubt Michael Crabtree is fast enough for the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
    cjwilliams@star-telegram.com
    Friday, Feb 13, 2009
    Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2009

MCKINNEY ó Cornerbacks have talked a lot of trash to Michael Crabtree over the years. Theyíve called him every name in the book.

"But I seem to show them when itís time to show," the former Texas Tech receiver said Wednesday. " ... I donít do too much talking. I like to prove my point."

The one thing a cornerback has never been dumb enough to call Crabtree is "slow."

Crabtree always has been fast enough on the football field. Fast enough to catch 231 passes for 3,127 yards and 41 touchdowns in 26 games. Fast enough to twice win the Biletnikoff Award as the nationís best receiver. Fast enough to finish fifth in voting for the Heisman Trophy in 2008.

Yet, Crabtreeís speed now is being questioned. Itís the one negative on his scouting report.

That has brought Crabtree to the Michael Johnson Performance Center, where Johnson, the four-time gold-medalist and nine-time world champion, has been charged with making Crabtree faster. Crabtree has been training with 13 other draft prospects, including Mississippi offensive tackle Michael Oher, Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew and Virginia Tech defensive back Victor "Macho" Harris, since Jan. 6.

"[Crabtree] has got it," said Lance Walker, the director for performance at the Michael Johnson Performance Center. "Iíve seen bursts of what heís got. ... Now, can we get him to funnel all that together for some silly 40-yard dash thing? I donít know. I can tell you this: Heís not 4.55 on the field. Thereís no way. The guys that know, they know what Iím talking about. Thereís field speed, and thereís 40-yard dash speed."

The NFLís all-time leading rusher, Emmitt Smith, ran a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. The NFLís all-time leading receiver, Jerry Rice, ran 4.71.

Crabtree is being compared to Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald. At 6-foot-2 1/2 , 208 pounds, Crabtree is close to Fitzgeraldís build (6-3, 225), and Fitzgerald ran a 4.55 at his Pro Day in 2004. Scouts expect Crabtree to run something similar.

"The quickest way to understand Crabtreeís potential is to consider the possibility that he is the second-coming of Larry Fitzgerald," NFL Draft Scoutís report of Crabtree begins. "There, itís said. ... He may not impress with his clock time in 40 yards, but neither did Fitzgerald or Jerry Rice."

Crabtree wonít run at the NFL Scouting Combine, which begins next Wednesday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. He will wait until his personal Pro Day at John Kincaide Stadium in Dallas in late March.

Crabtreeís high right ankle sprain, which limited him to a career-low four catches for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl, is "85 percent, maybe even 90" percent healed. But he said it isnít a big issue since he played hurt during the season.

Ultimately, Crabtreeís speed wonít be a big issue either.

No matter what Crabtree runs in the 40, he isnít likely to have a long wait on draft day. NFL Draft Scout, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper and Scouts Inc. all have Crabtree as the top player in the draft, though he isnít likely to go first overall to the Detroit Lions.

"Crabtree is a big kid with great hands, great competitiveness," Kiper said in a conference call Wednesday. "He doesnít have great 40 speed, because people forget how big he is. Heís a big kid. Heís kind of like a Larry Fitzgerald-type, that power forward playing wide receiver.

"Crabtree could go four to Seattle and even earlier than that. I think heís the best player in the draft."

Crabtree said he hasnít been timed in the 40-yard dash since high school, when he ran a 4.5. When asked if he was "fast enough," Crabtree responded, "You tell me."

"A football player is a football player," he added. "The slowest guy can score touchdowns and shake people and make moves the next man canít do. I see a football player as a football player."

Thereís no arguing Crabtree is that.
    The more I hear about the guy the more convince I am he will be a playmaker in the NFL...

punahou is offline Registered User

how many of the recent really good wide outs have had blazing speed?

Jerry Rice
    Isaac Bruce
    Tory Holt
    Cris Carter

Football- no matter the position, isnt TRACK AND FIELD.

Football playing speed is a lot different than spandex + track spike running speed.

Production against top flight competition and peers is the be all end all of measuring.

Lord almighty, mother of mary, every year we see some gym rat wow the combine with fabulous 40 times, feats of strength, and bursts of kinetic energy, but how many of those perform well on the field?

Vernon Davis
    Ohio State Linebacker- I cant even remember his name
    Mike Ill train specifically for the combine Mamula
    to name a few

djdeeznutz Guest

Honestly the 40 time doesnt mean anything.

How easy is it to run in shorts. Then you put on all that padding and then run. And as a WR in the NFL you just do not run down a line you run a route (unless its a go route).

Crabtree is not a burner. He will get those tough hards by breaking takles. This would mightly help our transition to a WCO.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If spags and billy d believe he is an elite talent at the level of a fitzgerald i would be supportive of selecting him. I havent heard a single expert state that any of the offensive tackles are at the orlando pace level coming out of college. We CANT afford to take a robert gallery take pick at this point. We can NOT afford to draft for greatest need, we have too many holes and we cant reach just for the best guy available at a particular position if a better player is also available for us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramone is offline Registered User

I am all in for Crabtree! Remember this, if we dont pick him, Seahawks will and then, we'll have two opportunities per year, too see what a disastrous mistake we done. We must change something totally! I am fully aware about our need for tackle (something we talk about every year prior to draft), but we all saw Crabtree and we all know what kind of player he is, so everything except taking him, would be another 1st round mistake. To change something myself, I send DenisSerbia (my old profile) to dark history and resurrected as Ramone, as well as Rams will resurrect in 2009!