Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

No more Jimmy Williams for the Rams, his stock is falling after poor Pro Day

According to the Sporting News, Williams' Pro Day was in fact disappointing, and will likely cause him to fall into the latter half of the first round. The article itself is a subscription only article, but I'll post some tidbits:

-Says a couple coaches told the War Room scouts that Williams is off their radar completely.

-Williams measured in at 6'2" and 216 pounds. He ran his forties around the mid 4.4 range, which was fine. But his vertical jump was only 33 inches, his broad jump was less than ten feet, and he could only bench 12 reps of 225.

-His three cone drill was 6.69 and short shuttle was 4.10, which is reportedly very average for professional cornerbacks. He was inconsistent in catching drills as well.

Look for Williams to fall behind Huff, Clemson's Tye Hill, and perhaps even Florida State's Antonio Cromartie (who had a stellar pro day workout) in the DB rankings. All indications are that he is no longer a viable option at 11th overall.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: No more Jimmy Williams for the Rams, his stock is falling after poor Pro Day

Wow! Looks like I'm going to have to revise my Draft Board in the near future. With Williams' reputation for being headstrong and cocky, he could not afford to have anything worse than a stellar Pro Day. I'm surprised by his numbers.

I'm starting to warm up to Tye Hill, though his size concerns me a bit with the number of big WRs emerging these days.

Re: No more Jimmy Williams for the Rams, his stock is falling after poor Pro Day

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm starting to warm up to Tye Hill, though his size concerns me a bit with the number of big WRs emerging these days.
    Hill's size is a bit worrisome, especially in a division with Arizona's tall receivers, but the guy can just flat out cover people. Looked great during the Senior Bowl. I have few qualms about selecting him at 11th overall, because I think Hill could develop into a true #1 cornerback, which like it or not is something the Rams do not have on their roster right now.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Cromartie looks pretty good at that 11 pick now,he has al the credentials to become a lockdown corner or we could trade up for Huff

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

I too am warming up to the idea of selecting Hill also. I heard him on Sirius Nfl Radio and he sounded very humble and confident. They were also talking about his 42 inch vertical. As for Cromartie, his lack of experience worries me. Too bad you can't take Hill's speed and covering along with Cromaritie's size.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-20-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Probably not a great idea to post pay articles

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here's a guy on the rise.

Brodrick Bunkley DL, (6-2 5/8, 304) ran 4.16 in the short shuttle and 7.33 in the cone drill. He did everything else at the Combine.

The players ran outside on FieldTurf under very good weather conditions. All 32 teams were represented, which included Tom Coughlin, Jim Haslett, Scott Linehan, Lovie Smith, Ernie Accorsi and a lot of position coaches.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    According to the Sporting News, Williams' Pro Day was in fact disappointing, and will likely cause him to fall into the latter half of the first round. The article itself is a subscription only article, but I'll post some tidbits:

-Says a couple coaches told the War Room scouts that Williams is off their radar completely.

-Williams measured in at 6'2" and 216 pounds. He ran his forties around the mid 4.4 range, which was fine. But his vertical jump was only 33 inches, his broad jump was less than ten feet, and he could only bench 12 reps of 225.

-His three cone drill was 6.69 and short shuttle was 4.10, which is reportedly very average for professional cornerbacks. He was inconsistent in catching drills as well.
    thanks for the update!

i don't buy that williams hurt himself that much with his recent workout, unless you talk to a numbers type guy in evaluating players...i think most nfl scouts go by more than just workout numbers, unless it's horrendously bad or exceptionally great...

mid 4.4s for a guy his size is exceptional...even the high touted sean taylor at 6'3" 225lb ran in the mid 4.5 at his workout in miami two seasons ago...

his bench press and lackluster vertical and broad isn't on the level of "horrendous" imo, so i can't see that factor alone dropping him in to the mid first round...

a 6.69 in the 3-cone and a 4.10 in the short shuttle is exceptional for a guy his size...even tye hill, with his superb agility, did a 6.63 and a 4.01 respectively...

as far as catching the ball...that's an oxymoron isn't it? you don't usually expect defensive backs to catch balls well...if they did, they'd be playing WRs...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Wow. My Draftboard is changed.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    a 6.69 in the 3-cone and a 4.10 in the short shuttle is exceptional for a guy his size...even tye hill, with his superb agility, did a 6.63 and a 4.01 respectively...
    None of these numbers by themselves really concern me all that much, except maybe the vertical, but all of them combined together are very disappointing, no matter how you cut it, IMO.

Tye Hill did put up similar numbers in the three cone and short shuttle, this is true. But he also excelled in the forty (4.30), in the vertical (41 inches for a guy who is 5'9"), and in the broad jump (nearly 11 feet).

Williams' attitude is horrible, so he needed a great workout to maintain his status. He didn't have it.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

Tye Hill did put up similar numbers in the three cone and short shuttle, this is true. But he also excelled in the forty (4.30), in the vertical (41 inches for a guy who is 5'9"), and in the broad jump (nearly 11 feet).

Williams' attitude is horrible, so he needed a great workout to maintain his status. He didn't have it.
    williams may not be looked on as an elite cornerback prospect with those numbers but he may be suited rather nicely for FS, something our defense is in dire need of...

i think williams reported incident in his last bowl game, in which he got tossed by the ref, is slightly blown out of proportion...if he'd been tossed frequently in the past then i'd consider that a chronic problem. but as far as i know he is just a loud trash talker, in line with guys like deion sanders, fred smoot, henry thomas, etc...

he comes off as brash because the perception is that he talks before thinking, but i haven't read about any on or off field incidents at v-tech that mentions him getting in trouble with his big-mouth...

tye hill may be the better CB prospect but i believe j. williams is right up there in terms of value for his size, quickness, hitting ability and versatility...i think williams is a more athletic version of ken hamlin of the hawks...let's just hope williams don't get into bar fights too often...
    Last edited by rampete; -03-20-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

He ran 4.4 on a fast track at Va Tech too!

He chose not to compete when many of the other guys were laying it on the line (at the combine). Several scouts mentioned his strength may be a problem and his Bench press was lousy.

#11 is too high for Williams and too High for Tye Hill....

We should go after Huff.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-20-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Williams outweighs Huff by nearly 30 pounds (26) and yet Huff Bench pressed 20 reps to Williams sub-par 12 reps.

Huff also ran a blistering 4.37 and impressed in every facet on the same track as all the WRs and RBs (in Indy).

Huff was eager to compete and Williams choose to sit on the sideline.

Williams will end up as a safety in the NFL. He may play some corner, but most scouts say the fluidity in his hips (or lack of) will make it hard for him to cover the small, quick wideouts one on one.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I've always been a bit wary of putting too much faith in numbers alone, preferring to look at what they guy did when he was on the field.

Look at how many draftees who posted great work out numbers get picked then can't play.

Williams still goes in the 1st. Whether we take him or not is another matter.

To me the biggest thing is Huff is within reach and he's being called (by Mel Kiper) the next Ronnie Lott. He is a blue-chip player.

With all the QBs going in the top 10 (at least 3) and outstanding LB (Hawk), Franchise RB (Bush), Best OT, Two best DEF Lineman.... you can see Huff is moving close to the #8 or #9 spot .. That is within reach for us.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Within reach but expensive. I'd almost prefer to see us move down and pick up two later round picks if Huff or Ngata are gone by then.

Kiper has been known to have blown it in the past Tony. Not saying that Huff would be a bust but I think our D needs a couple of solid additions in this draft and we need draft picks.