Richbert88 is offline Registered User

No QB in the draft next year.

This team still has alot of things to do before becoming a playoff caliber team. Young players maturing..............players staying healthy.

I would much rather see the Rams address other needs. If things go poorly again, which with they're luck with injuries it will, then next year they might have a shot at Locker. And that may well be the last very high pick this team sees in a while.

I think Suh in the first, then chase BPA in round 2 and 3, then needs in the rest of the draft. Continue to sign young FAs.

Whose going to play QB? Whose playing it now.

Little may retire? who knows. Let's get the rest of the base team fixed up before the QB of the future arrives. Rothsburger style.

Semper Fi!

ImOnFire15 is offline Registered User

Re: No QB in the draft next year.

Nah, I want QB in 2nd or 3rd rd.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I agree that the Rams need to think about value and not merely try to fill spots, but I'm not convinced that there won't be value at the QB spot in Rounds 2 or 3. I think there are at least three players: Colt McCoy, Tony Pike and Ryan Mallett, who would be worth considering with the 33rd pick. That said, if all three were available at #33, but I was convinced that one of them would likely still be there at the top of Round 3, I'd probably take a WR in Round 2.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If there are other players of greater value than QB in the second round, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to waiting on a QB until later. I think there will be some value at WR, and perhaps some value at a number of defensive positions too. I think that a solid cornerback or defensive end could be there, for instance.

That being said, I think this team should draft someone at least in the mid rounds, anywhere from round two to round four or five, whom they think has a reasonable chance of being groomed to be a starter in this system. We can't bank on being able to draft Player X next year, because there's no guarantee we'll be in a position to take him. If we're going to pass on a QB in round two for another player of good value, then we're going to need to have our eyes peeled for someone later on in the draft.

One thing that might negate the need to spend a higher pick on a quarterback is if we find someone in free agency whom we view as having more potential than just being a stop-gap veteran. If the team thinks a Jason Campbell or Tarvaris Jackson could come in here and develop into a good starter, maybe they sign him and bypass a QB until the mid to late rounds. Then if that person doesn't work out, they can view QB as a priority in 2011.

licketyblue is offline Registered User

I think they will keep Bulger, he is a proven Q-back, especially with competent players starting along side of him. He played at pro bowl caliber twice, therefore he realistically could accomplish that again given the protection and the other pieces of the puzzle. Bulger is 32, he should be able to play a few more years. Null looks like a #2 if the coachs continue to coach him up. Depending on what the brass do in the off season as to FA, the top two picks should be used appropriately, maybe lineman, backers or corners.

todd1 is offline Registered User

I agree with the OP, no QB is worth a pick at #1 in the first round or even at #1 in the 2nd round. The only QB that I would take at that spot may be Tony Pike, he has great accuracy and plays with great confidence. But he seems injury-prone and I want to see his arm strength in workouts. Colt McCoy, to me, is right up there with Tebow for guys I wouldn't even consider as a potential franchise QB. He's Tim Couch part 2. Seriously, the guy hardly ever throws the ball more than 10 yards down the field. He wins, but guess what, about 50 other college QB's could win at Texas. In his 2 games this year against good defenses (Oklahoma and Neb) he struggled mightily. He does have decent mobility, but I really question if he has NFL throwing ability. Please, for all that is good and holy, stay away from McCoy. As for Mallett, he is intriguing, but I think he would be a major project after one year as a starter as a RS Soph in college.

I would go with Suh in the first, Jahvid Best (if he comes out) in the second, and Danario Alexander in the third. I see everyone pleading for more D, and our D has certainly struggled, but have you guys seen how many points we've scored this year? 169, or 11.23 per game. That's putrid. The next worst is Cleveland at 220. This team needs offensive playmakers in the absolute worst way. Even that is an understatement. We have no backup RB (or nobody to even help S-Jax carry the load) and a bunch of #3's and #4's at WR. At this rate, S-Jax is going to be completely burned out by the time the Rams are competetive again.

As a caveat, I do think Jimmy Clausen is going to be a good one. But I just don't know if he's worth the #1 pick when the best, most dominant DT of this generation is there for the taking.
    Last edited by todd1; -12-29-2009 at 01:07 AM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

One of the few things i agree with ESPN commentators on is that the NFL is a passing league. Tavaris Jackson and Campbell are most likely restricted because of an uncapped year. Ruling FA out.

The more QBs that come out the better. More options, more to analyze more to compare. Rams are going to need to analyze all QB options available in the first 2 rounds. IMO QB evaluation by our scouts and staff should be an emphasis. That is why you have to take really long looks at Bradford and Claussen. If that is the case and you fall in love with that guy you explore a trade down first for a team seeking Suh, but if that doesn't happen you can't be afraid to take the guy you love.

Ryan Mallet could be the key to this draft if he comes out. 3 first round talent QBs are in the draft then. If the Rams like what they see in him, I think Devaney understands the importance of a strong QB and would trade up to get him. I think he gets drafted in the same range as Josh Freeman and the Rams would probably handle him similarly with 1 or 2 vets ahead of him.

In all I just don't see the Rams getting out of the first 2 rounds without a young viable QB. Whether it drafting a guy first overall (never know who rises), trading for someone elses promising QB, trading up to get your guy, or just drafting one at the top of the second. IMO the Rams can't afford to wait to 2011 to find their franchise guy.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think there is enough of a drop off at QB to take one with the 33rd pick.

I can't think of too many teams searching for a new QB anyways. So, if I'm doing all this thinking correctly, we should have a QB fall to us in round two.

We do need a new QB without a doubt. I think round two is the ideal spot to pick one.

First over all pick? I'd pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I think there is enough of a drop off at QB to take one with the 33rd pick.

I can't think of too many teams searching for a new QB anyways. So, if I'm doing all this thinking correctly, we should have a QB fall to us in round two.

We do need a new QB without a doubt. I think round two is the ideal spot to pick one.

First over all pick? I'd pass.
    From the top of my head, Oakland, Seattle, Carolina, Buffalo, Washington, Minnesota perhaps San Francisco and perhaps Arizona are the teams who could legitimately target a QB early.

I'm not particularly well versed just yet on team needs and priorities and so on etcetera for next year's draft but I'd be willing to wager that there's more than one team who will jump early at a QB, especially a team with time to let him develop around an already solid group of developing and veteran players, much in the same way Big Ben was nurtured in Pittsburgh. Minnesota and to a lesser extent Carolina and (should they choose to abandon Leinart) Arizona are the teams that jump out at me immediately.