• 2 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: The Noel Devine era already is over in Philly

Rambos is online now Registered User

The Noel Devine era already is over in Philly

The Noel Devine era already is over in Philly
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
    991806543 AP

If the Eagles will indeed be a Dream Team in 2011, they wonít have on the roster a guy who was a YouTube phenom in high school.

Former West Virginia running back Noel Devine, signed by the team on Tuesday, was released Saturday.

The Eagles tucked the news into the tail end of the announcement that defensive tackle Broderick Bunkley, a first-round pick in 2006, had been traded to the Browns for a fifth-round selection. No details were provided on the teamís website regarding the reason for the move.

Devine joined a crowded backfield, and he likely had a small margin for error. Also, if he hadnít kept himself in top shape, it likely would have been obvious.

For now, Devine has lost his ability to control his NFL destiny. Heíll pass through waivers, and anyone who would want to sign him as a free agent would be foolish not to put in a claim on a contract that surely pays out only the minimum salaries.
    Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles,

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Re: The Noel Devine era already is over in Philly

I would love for the rams to take a look at this guy.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

heard rams are going to land Norwood as our third back and an even better 2nd back. If this is the case I'll be fine without Devine. Although I did want him.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I'm not seeing any of that so far. So I would just be happy with devine at this point.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Plus he did the mandatory time in Philly to be considered being able to coming to the Rams lol
    Bar-bq and C-Mob 71 like this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Philly castoffs have been worthwhile before; Gibson and/or Amendola,no?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Interesting report on Devine from Rotoworld:

Free agent RB Noel Devine reportedly "walked out" on the Eagles.

Devine was waived on Saturday, but apparently "left the squad on his own." If true, it would raise an immediate red flag for any potential future suitors. The deck is already stacked against the under-sized (5-foot-8, 170 pounds) back, so it would be a shame if he gave teams another serious reason to overlook him.

Source: Scout.com Jul 31, 8:41 AM

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Noel Devine walked out on Eagles
    by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, July 31, 2011 at 7:48 am ET

Undrafted rookie running back Noel Devine was abruptly released Saturday, the Philadelphia Eagles announced.

What they didn't announce is that the former West Virginia star actually left the squad on his own, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

It's unclear exactly why Devine left the Eagles, but the diminutive runner could have been frustrated with his practice snaps since Philadelphia has plenty of backs.

Undersized at 5-foot-7, 179 pounds, Devine struggled with a toe injury last season and rushed for 934 yards and six touchdowns as a senior.

"I'm healthy now," Devine said in a telephone interview prior to the NFl draft. "I'm ready to go. I've always had the odds against me. I'll prove myself all over again, no matter what. Don't ever count me out."

Devine's lack of size and a rough senior year hurt his draft stock. He was helped by former NFL star Deion Sanders with advice and financial support. Devine's birth parents both died of AIDS.

Devine was projected as a later-round draft target, but was passed over while there was a run on backs in the final day of the draft.

As a freshman, he rushed for 627 yards with six touchdowns.

As a sophomore, he was second-team All-Big East with 1,286 yards and four touchdowns and 35 receptions.

As a junior, he gained 1,486 yards and scored 13 touchdowns while catching 22 passes for 177 yards and another touchdown.

"I just want a chance to show what I can do," Devine said. "I'm a great football player and I'll show people that. I just need the chance."

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Interesting report on Devine from Rotoworld:

Free agent RB Noel Devine reportedly "walked out" on the Eagles.

Devine was waived on Saturday, but apparently "left the squad on his own." If true, it would raise an immediate red flag for any potential future suitors. The deck is already stacked against the under-sized (5-foot-8, 170 pounds) back, so it would be a shame if he gave teams another serious reason to overlook him.

Source: Scout.com Jul 31, 8:41 AM
    I heard the Philly locker room ran out of toilet paper & the linemen wrapped Devine's head in a towel & were passing him under the stall doors like a Q-tip.
    TekeRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I heard the Philly locker room ran out of toilet paper & the linemen wrapped Devine's head in a towel & were passing him under the stall doors like a Q-tip.
    That would make me walk out.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

What a waste of talent if this is really his attitude: "Wahh! I'm awesome, how can I not be starting even though I'm an undrafted rookie and there's a bunch of more talented, actually NFL sized, veteran backs in front of me! Wahh!"

Only a couple guys that small can put up with NFL punishment, if we do take a look, I hope he's that guy.
    I believe!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Not sure what to make of this story. The Scout story really doesn't elaborate on why exactly Devine left. I wouldn't be shocked if Noel thought he was too big for his britches and just walked out, but there could have been other reasons as well. It'll be interesting to see if he gets another opportunity after this.