Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Not All Pundits Believe Blackmon Worthy of Top 10 Pick ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Not All Pundits Believe Blackmon Worthy of Top 10 Pick ..

From another forum: By Not An STL Homer

Rob Range of NFLDraftScout.com, CBSSports.com, and a member of the Sports Xchange was a guest on 101 ESPN's "Pro Football Sunday" with host Howard Balzer.

The topic of Justin Blackmon came up. Howard mentioned he was guest hosting Bernie's show Thursday and Friday and had Greg Cosell on as a guest. Cosell said he had been watching a lot of film of the WR's and he wasn't sure if Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd wasn't the best WR in this draft. And that he had to watch more tape but had some reservations about Justin Blackmon.

Rob Range did not pull any punches. He said he thought it would be a mistake if Cleveland, St.Louis, or any other team in the top 10 took Justin Blackmon. He cited things such as the lack of press coverage in the Big XII, Blackmon not having an elite quality about his game, the system he played in at Oklahoma State, the fact he had a Pro QB in college, and a lot of teams have red flags on his character.

Howard Balzer said he had not heard this and asked Range to explain. Range said that several teams had told him that Blackmon was aloof during interviews and acted as if he didn't want to be there. There were also teams that noticed when Justin didn't get the ball early he would often whine to the QB and the OC. There was also a lot of show boating by him on the field. And there is also some "other stuff" that is turning teams off.

Range then said he had spoke to several GM's and Head Coached and there are about as many that have Michael Floyd as their #1 WR as there are those that have Blackmon as their #1 WR. And before the Combine, Baylor's Kendall Wright was #1 on several boards. And he expects after Wright's Pro Day, that Wright will climb back into that upper echelon at WR.

He said currently he has Blackmon as his 9th best player and Floyd as his 12th best overall. So not a lot separating them. But he does not think either should bee a top 10 pick and that the talent in the 2nd and 3rd round at WR is as good, and in the long run will likely be better than the top players at that position.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Not All Pundits Believe Blackmon Worthy of Top 10 Pick ..

Blackmon to me is still the top ranked WR, but Floyd is definitely up there. I wouldn't mind one bit if we go with Floyd even if Blackmon is available.

Floyd just does not drop catches, and makes insane catches.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Rob Range did not pull any punches. He said he thought it would be a mistake if Cleveland, St.Louis, or any other team in the top 10 took Justin Blackmon.
    He said currently he has Blackmon as his 9th best player and Floyd as his 12th best overall. So not a lot separating them. But he does not think either should bee a top 10 pick.
    He wouldn't take his 9th best player in the top 10, what an ass-clown.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

At least from what I've seen of OSU and ND games (I have cousins who went to both schools), I feel like there's a pretty significant gap between Blackmon and Floyd. He does make good catches, but when do you ever see him run out the back end of the defense into open field? Floyd might be a little more consistent, but you have to love that Blackmon was a major part of the most successful seasons in his school's history.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rob Range did not pull any punches. He said he thought it would be a mistake if Cleveland, St.Louis, or any other team in the top 10 took Justin Blackmon. He cited things such as the lack of press coverage in the Big XII, Blackmon not having an elite quality about his game, the system he played in at Oklahoma State, the fact he had a Pro QB in college, and a lot of teams have red flags on his character.
    I don't understand the notion that Blackmon doesn't have an elite quality about his game. Every time I watched him play, he was nothing short of dominant, and his career numbers are hard to dismiss.

As far as red flags on his character, it's nonsense. He's made some youthful indiscretions, but nothing of a violent or serious nature. He's a good kid who's done some incredibly good things, as witnessed here:

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    He wouldn't take his 9th best player in the top 10, what an ass-clown.
    That really stuck out to me too. How on earth can you rate a guy as one of the ten best players and in the same breath say he is not worthy of a top ten pick? That makes no sense at all

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This sort of thing happens every year.

There's a concensus top player at a position and, as the draft nears, a couple of "experts" try to come up with an argument to downgrade that player, or to even put some other prospect above him.

Remember the "Gerald McCoy is a better pass rusher than Suh" articles?

Anyone who watches Blackmon's game tapes and fails to see an elite prospect is TRYING not to see an elite prospect.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Hahah I remember for a while I was saying if we don't draft Bradford we should go with McCoy over Suh.

God, I am dumb sometimes
    Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    That really stuck out to me too. How on earth can you rate a guy as one of the ten best players and in the same breath say he is not worthy of a top ten pick? That makes no sense at all
    It might make sense to a team hoping he will fall out of the top 10 (and to them). Rumors have to be started somewhere. It wouldn't be the first time ..

The only way we'll ever find out what the Rams really think of him will be if Blackmon lasts until the sixth pick in round number one ..
    HUbison, Rambos and ramsbruce like this.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't understand the notion that Blackmon doesn't have an elite quality about his game. Every time I watched him play, he was nothing short of dominant, and his career numbers are hard to dismiss.

As far as red flags on his character, it's nonsense. He's made some youthful indiscretions, but nothing of a violent or serious nature. He's a good kid who's done some incredibly good things, as witnessed here:

this broke my heart when i saw it. but man, i heard he had character issues before. a DUI charge I believe. But doing stuff like this lets me give him a second chance. They say he had passive Big 12 d, so did Dez Bryant and hes doing well. I'm afraid Floyd is a product of Notre Dame hype and Mayock doing their games.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

People just want to bring attention to themselves by saying ridiculous statements and trying to get people thinking.Blackmon is clearly worth a top 10 hands down.I like Floyd but not over Blackmon he is a game changer this guy is a moron.And not to mention he put Blackmon as his 9th best player but wouldnt take him in the top 10???Hmmm basic common sense and numbers dont add up this guy is truly a retard.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I don't know about this.

Rang has Blackmon going sixth to the Rams in his latest mock, and that's been the case since the Redskins trade I believe. Here's how he describes the pick.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
    Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State: With glaring holes at cornerback and wide receiver, the Rams are gambling a bit by trading down to the sixth spot if they have their eyes on the top talents at each position. If Claiborne or Blackmon make it this far, he's likely to be the target. Sam Bradford is desperate for a playmaker and Blackmon, the two-time defending Biletnikof Award winner as the nation's top receiver, will fit the bill perfectly.
    As for his rankings, the latest NFL Draft Scout on CBS Sports prospect rankings have Blackmon as the 5th best prospect and Floyd as the 16th best prospect. Blackmon has been rated their fifth overall prospect since at least his pro day, according to the site's blog.

So I'm a little dubious about this write-up, to be honest. Either the other forum got this one wrong, or Rang can't keep up with what his site is saying.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Great story/video man. It doesn't matter if it is football players, celebrities, or regular people. I love reading/seeing stories where the true meaning of a human being is shown. Thanks for sharing, I love watching stuff like this. A goal in my life is to help out humanity in anyway possible. I don't need all the money in the world, enough to survive and be able to eat. I would rather help people in need. Blackmon seems like a great character.

The guy here, the pundit is full of ****
    Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Yeah, and alot of the result depends on the player getting into the right system and developing....

I am sure we will have one of the top 5 WRs in the draft and maybe 2 of the top 10...

Obviously, we would take Blackmon at 6...but if he isn't there and we take Trent...we will be trading up for Hill or our next 'favorite' WR after Floyd....

So, round 3 or 4 will be a WR for depth and then if things aren't looking good, I am sure we can trade one of our next years draft chocies for a WR since we have multiple 1st rounders......

That would make shipping out a 2nd , 3rd, or 4th not bad at all

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    At least from what I've seen of OSU and ND games (I have cousins who went to both schools), I feel like there's a pretty significant gap between Blackmon and Floyd. He does make good catches, but when do you ever see him run out the back end of the defense into open field? Floyd might be a little more consistent, but you have to love that Blackmon was a major part of the most successful seasons in his school's history.
    It's the same story every year after the combine. Teams start either overvaluing or undervaluing players, due to a unexpected forty time. However, when you start to watch the same players on tape. It's doesn't take too long to realize how misleading the stopwatch can be when judging players.
    For example Michael Floyd for his size, ran a brilliant forty time at the combine. But when you put the tape on, his speed doesn't jump out, like you would have imagined it would. Blackmon on the other hand, is timed slower, but he reminds you of a rat up a drain pipe, once he grabs that ball.
    An even more difficult one to fathom is K.J.Wright's forty time.
    Awfully slow time at the combine, yet on tape, he looks like he is getting shot out of a cannon. I think much more stock should be put into whether a player GETS IT. Which is the biggest reason why I have confidence in Justin Blackmon making a name for himself in the NFL.
    I think he will be a gamer, to which ever team drafts him.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-19-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast