Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Not a lot of trade partners for the #2 pick

There are a number of reasons why a trade down to acquire more choices might make sense for the Rams, but I'm not sure there are many potential trade partners.

The most likely reason a team would trade up to #2 is to acquire one of the top QBs in the draft (presuming Stafford and Bradford both declare). However, most of the teams at the top of the draft don't need QBs. Kansas City, sitting at #3, would probably take a QB, so they could be willing to give up a pick (maybe a 3rd rounder) to swap with the Rams. Of course, that requires a bluff on the Rams' part (convincing KC that the Rams won't simply pass on a QB).

After that, the next several teams are unlikely to draft a QB:

(4) Seattle - possible, as Hasselbeck is getting up there and coming off an injury, but would they make an intra-division trade?
    (5) Cleveland - no (Brady Quinn)
    (6) Cincinnati - doubtful (Carson Palmer)
    (7) Oakland - no (JaMarcus Russell)
    (8) Jacksonville - no (David Garrard)
    (9) Green Bay - no (Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm)
    (10) San Fran - yes (but, in division)

As for teams with multiple first rounders, there are only two. Detroit, which has the first and 20th, does not present as a trade partner. Even if the Rams wanted to trade for the 20th and 33rd picks (not a match on the value chart), I doubt that Detroit wants to pay the first and second picks in the draft. The Eagles will have two of the last 12 selections (depending on the playoffs), but that also would not be a good swap. Unless the Eagles are planning to get rid of McNabb, I doubt they'd trade three top picks (two 1s and 2 or 3, for example) to jump up and take a QB.

So, don't be surprised if the Rams stay at #2, whether they wish to or not.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.

STLRAMSFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Not a lot of trade partners for the #2 pick

I hope we keep it and draft Graham Harrell. He is smart, accomplished, and he compliments a running offense. If we draft him and then concentrate on the offensive line with our fourth and fifth pick in the draft and also in free agency we could build a line to protect him. Not to mention Bulger is finished with the Rams he is like a turd in a punch bowl, so we need a good young QB who can move around in the pocket.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Great summary, Av. I agree completely, I'll be pretty surprised if we end up moving from the two-spot.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    I hope we keep it and draft Graham Harrell.
    With the second overall pick? Uhh, rather unlikely. Graham Harrell has about as much chance being drafted with the second overall pick as I do.

STLRAMSFAN is offline Registered User

After todays performance probably not, but then again the Rams make a lot of crazy draft choices. While I'm not a Texas Tech fan at all I thought that Graham had a pretty good overall career as a Red Raider. The Rams need a quarter back now and he rarely turns the ball over, usually makes smart decisions, and he scrambles well. So what are your reasons for not believing that we could draft him? You think he is too good, not good enough, or too much money required? As for the topic of you being drafted into the NFL you really shouldn't compare yourself with talented athletes there chief. I guess I hurt your feelings talking about Bulger huh since he was probably the best quarter back the Mountaineers have ever had? So lets hear who your choice would be for the 2009 draft Mr. Sarcasm.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -01-02-2009 at 06:03 PM.

After todays performance probably not, but then again the Rams make a lot of crazy draft choices. While I'm not a Texas Tech fan at all I thought that Graham had a pretty good overall career as a Red Raider. The Rams need a quarter back now and he rarely turns the ball over, usually makes smart decisions, and he scrambles well. So what are your reasons for not believing that we could draft him? You think he is too good, not good enough, or too much money required? As for the topic of you being drafted into the NFL you really shouldn't compare yourself with talented athletes there chief. I guess I hurt your feelings talking about Bulger huh since he was probably the best quarter back the Mountaineers have ever had? So lets hear who your choice would be for the 2009 draft Mr. Sarcasm.
    Guess you missed Mr. Sarcasm's (I thought that was my name) complete first round mock.

You also missed Nick's point. He never said that Harrell won't be drafted, or even that he won't be a good player. He merely said that he won't be taken #2 in the draft. I agree entirely. Absent an off-the-chart workout, I seriously doubt he'll go in the first round. If he's available at the top of Round 3, I think the Rams should give him some consideration. You clearly have him rated higher than most.

As for your tone... consider this your only warning.

Let's get this topic back on track, shall we?

Anyone see a viable trade partner for the Rams' first round selection?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There are a number of reasons why a trade down to acquire more choices might make sense for the Rams, but I'm not sure there are many potential trade partners.

The most likely reason a team would trade up to #2 is to acquire one of the top QBs in the draft (presuming Stafford and Bradford both declare). However, most of the teams at the top of the draft don't need QBs. Kansas City, sitting at #3, would probably take a QB, so they could be willing to give up a pick (maybe a 3rd rounder) to swap with the Rams. Of course, that requires a bluff on the Rams' part (convincing KC that the Rams won't simply pass on a QB).

After that, the next several teams are unlikely to draft a QB:

(4) Seattle - possible, as Hasselbeck is getting up there and coming off an injury, but would they make an intra-division trade?
    (5) Cleveland - no (Brady Quinn)
    (6) Cincinnati - doubtful (Carson Palmer)
    (7) Oakland - no (JaMarcus Russell)
    (8) Jacksonville - no (David Garrard)
    (9) Green Bay - no (Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm)
    (10) San Fran - yes (but, in division)

As for teams with multiple first rounders, there are only two. Detroit, which has the first and 20th, does not present as a trade partner. Even if the Rams wanted to trade for the 20th and 33rd picks (not a match on the value chart), I doubt that Detroit wants to pay the first and second picks in the draft. The Eagles will have two of the last 12 selections (depending on the playoffs), but that also would not be a good swap. Unless the Eagles are planning to get rid of McNabb, I doubt they'd trade three top picks (two 1s and 2 or 3, for example) to jump up and take a QB.

So, don't be surprised if the Rams stay at #2, whether they wish to or not.
    Oddly enough, AV, I was thinking about this subject last night. The thought occurred to me of a team that is built to win right now with an aging and now somewhat injured QB who may or may not be back next year. Moreover said team is now looking for a new HC. If you guessed the NY Jets you'd be correct. Bear with me for a bit on this one.

If Favre does, in fact, retire that would leave the Jets with something called Kellen Clemons as their only QB. Sure they could go out and sign some bum from the garbage heap, but, dang it!!, this is NEW YORK we're talkin' about and I can't believe they are gonna sell many tickets to their new stadium next year with Elmer Fudd as their starting QB.

So how about the following scenario: The Rams trade the 2nd pick in this years draft for:

1.) The Jets first (17th overall) pick and their 2nd this year.

2.) The Jets also trade their 1st and 3rd round picks for next year.

While I realize that this is rather speculative at best stranger things have happened.

WHAT SAY YE?

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I cant see the jets giving up two 1st rounders, a second and a third for one 1st rounder(granted its the #2 overall pick). On the other end, while it would be a great deal for the rams, its hard to imagine the #2 pick being traded down to a 17, i dont rememeber anyone with a top #1, or #2 pick trading down to the range of #17. its just unconventional.

richtree is offline Registered User

You forgot someone...eagles have 2 picks., we could trade them for both first round picks....plus...

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Bears, Vikings,Bucs,Panthers and others

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

What about a team that wants Crabtree? I could see Oakland wanting him (they always take the big name skilled players in the first round IE McFadden last year) They don't have a big name Receiver or any good ones IMO, and the play of CJ this past year on an awful detroit team might make them consider that. Just a thought...

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    What about a team that wants Crabtree? I could see Oakland wanting him (they always take the big name skilled players in the first round IE McFadden last year) They don't have a big name Receiver or any good ones IMO, and the play of CJ this past year on an awful detroit team might make them consider that. Just a thought...
    The problem there is that Oakland has nothing that resembles an OL. If they're intent on allowing Russell and McFadden to thrive, OL is the best bet. I don't see anyone looking to take a leaf from the book of the Detroit Lions, either.

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    All are picking later on, and what they'd have to give up would be rather steep. Of those, I don't see the Bears, Vikings or Panthers looking towards a QB anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

If Favre does, in fact, retire that would leave the Jets with something called Kellen Clemons as their only QB. Sure they could go out and sign some bum from the garbage heap, but, dang it!!, this is NEW YORK we're talkin' about and I can't believe they are gonna sell many tickets to their new stadium next year with Elmer Fudd as their starting QB.

So how about the following scenario: The Rams trade the 2nd pick in this years draft for:

1.) The Jets first (17th overall) pick and their 2nd this year.

2.) The Jets also trade their 1st and 3rd round picks for next year.
    It's interesting... but I think the Giants gave up something similar in order to get Eli Manning from Pick 4. The Rams would be missing out on a lot of high-end talent and I'm not sure that the Jets 1st and 3rd next season will be motivation enough. If they were in the top 10- certainly an option. It's just a long way down.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I was thinking about this the other day. Came down to this...

We are staying at #2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I agree Moose, why should we give up the #2 , this will be the a great opportunity to get a franchise OL.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You forgot someone...eagles have 2 picks., we could trade them for both first round picks....plus...
    Actually, if you read my first post, I mentioned them. Their two #1s are not worth the 2nd pick in the draft. They'd have to throw in at least their third round choice (though I'd probably hold out for their second round pick). That's a lot of picks to trade for Stafford or Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan
    What about a team that wants Crabtree? I could see Oakland wanting him (they always take the big name skilled players in the first round IE McFadden last year) They don't have a big name Receiver or any good ones IMO, and the play of CJ this past year on an awful detroit team might make them consider that. Just a thought
    Interesting thought. I guess with Al Davis, anything is possible. For the Rams, dropping to the seventh pick would still likely give them a shot at a top OT. I'd think Oakland would have to throw in their #2 or perhaps a #3 and a player.

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08
    Sure, any of those teams might want a top QB, but what do they have to offer the Rams? Absent a trade involving a 2009 and 2010 first round pick (even that might not be enough), those teams would have a hard time putting together an attractive package for the Rams.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-04-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So what are your reasons for not believing that we could draft him?
    We could draft him at some point, I'm not disputing that.

What I disagree with is that the Rams do it with the second overall pick. Because that's what this thread was about, meaning that when you said, "I hope we keep it and draft Graham Harrell," there's a clear implication that you think we should spend the second overall pick on Harrell. If that's not what you meant, feel free to clarify.

But Graham Harrell isn't a lock to go on the first day of the draft, let alone in the first round, or on top of that second overall. If the Rams want to look at him on the second day of the draft in round three or later, that's more realistic. Using the second overall pick on him? Uhh, no.

I guess I hurt your feelings talking about Bulger huh since he was probably the best quarter back the Mountaineers have ever had?
    No, you didn't hurt my feelings. Why would critical comments about a Rams player hurt my feelings?

And no, Bulger was not the best quarterback the Mountaineers ever had. IMHO, that title belongs to the guy that's been leading WVU to four bowl wins over the last four years - Patrick White.

So lets hear who your choice would be for the 2009 draft Mr. Sarcasm.
    Nick's Holiday Season First-Round Mock Draft

If you view Harrell as a contender for the top five in this draft, then I'd be interested in seeing your full first-round projection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast