Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Not so fast Mr. Locker

Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET
    For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Not so fast Mr. Locker

Not a surprise, in my opinion Locker wont even be the top QB next year if Mallet decides to come out.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I like Locker's skill set but if you read my post from earlier when the Locker hype came out, I always wondered how a guy who hasn't had a 3000 yard passing season, hasn't thrown for 25 touchdowns, and hasn't even thrown for 60% of his passes in a season is being considered for the Number One Overall pick. Don't get me wrong. I love Locker's skill set, namely his athleticism and speed, but you have to show you can get it done in college before you can get it done in the pros.

I understand he's playing for Washington, which is not a top team, but at number one, he'd be going to the consensus worst team in the NFL and expected to lead that team to greatness.

I want to see Locker throw for at least 3000 yards next season and get that completion percentage to around 63% at least while getting at least 23 touchdowns.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Man it would be nice if THE HAIR and his girlfriend ( and others)were somehow held accountable, that way when they make outlandish statements you would know they had something riding on it, but until they're judged by there accuracy they are just a couple more jokers we have to sift threw to get decent information.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I was always confused myself as to how he was so easily projected as such a high pick. I think with the popularity of spread offenses now, it's easy to jump all over the pro style passers, saying they're "nfl ready". He also got a lot of slack from being on a poor team. He never looked that impressive to me, personally.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't think it matters where your drafted. I think it matters how you prepare at the next level. If you give it %110 and the front office gives you a chance. You could be a great QB.

To become a QB you need HEART!

How about QB Pat Haden for rams. Everybody said to short.
    Drew Brees
    Drafted by Green Bay Packers Kurt Warner not given chance then Cut.

The people who don't care and don't give %110 QB Jamarcuss Russell. He has all the tools to be a great QB but just dosen't care.

I was one of those fans that want the Rams to draft Locker or Mallett.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

In other news, I finally finished my Christmas shopping. Thank goodness!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

lol...indeed, this is old news. he still would have gone in the first and probably pretty high anyways.

How is it old news that he didn't receive a first round grade? You know, since it just came out and all....

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Rebel, I think they're pointing to the Dec. 18, 2009 stamp on the article.

Nonetheless, it's news to me, and I suspect to many others as well. I know that long after Dec. 18 I still heard many people claim that if Locker had declared, he'd be the slam dunk pick for the Rams.

Edit: Also, I know on clanram here I still frequently see the argument along the lines of 'why draft Bradford when we can wait a year and maybe grab Locker' which of course implies that Locker is quite a bit better than Bradford.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So....

What grade did the draft advisory board give Bradford last year?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So....

Im also curious to know that. I'd imagine it would be higher or along the lines of what they gave Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So....

Did he request a grade?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Rebel, I think they're pointing to the Dec. 18, 2009 stamp on the article.
    Sorry, didn't notice that! You are all very much correct, it is old news.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I tried to find that out myself, apparently the panel makes the recommendations confidentialy. I did find that they gave DE Michael Johnson a 3rd round grade though, so it seems as though they might be onto something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast