smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Is the O Line the Rams #1 need?

Simple question that I thought I knew the answer to but I maybe wrong now. So is the O Line still the #1 need of this team or is maybe the D Line? With the addition of Brown I feel very good about the starting interior line but they will need to resign some depth. Pace can still play and should be healthy to start the season and Barron while not the pro bowler we hoped he would be, was average last year. Now look at the D line, DE Long is o.k., UT AC while good when healthy might not be at 100% to start the year, NT fill in the blank here, DE Little is going to file for social security along with Glover this year. Glover can file for disablity as well.
    So was wondering what others thought. Maybe try and trade down and get B.J. Raji.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Is the O Line the Rams #1 need?

The DL needs one big NT and it will be fine. Cuz right now little is our best speedy pass rusher. So we need that speed off the edge. Carriker is doing fine at UT and when Little retires u will probably see Long to LE and Carriker to RE. and Chris Long will be the player everyone thinks he is going to be. That leaves a major void at the most important DL position NT. Cliff Ryan could be inserted in however i would like to draft Ron Brace in the 2nd. and Cliff ryan and Brace can become great in Spags DL substitution packages. I think Victor Adeyanju (sp) is an underrated player on our team. I think he could be like Justin Tuck on the Giants. Victor can come in on important subs and he can take over if there is an injury.

The outside of our OL needs help. I think if we fix this problem this year our Offense can score points. This will give our expensive backfield time to make plays. We can get Jason Smith and use him as the cornerstone to our OL for the next 10 years.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

IMO...

If Pace stays NT is our greatest need and I have wanted Raji to be our pick for awhile now. It's not a popular pick for the high number 2 pick and a trade down they say is just not likely... but I would love it if we could.

If Pace leaves than LT is our greatest need. I'm very reluctant to have a 2nd round OT step into the most important position on the line.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    The DL needs one big NT and it will be fine. Cuz right now little is our best speedy pass rusher. So we need that speed off the edge. Carriker is doing fine at UT and when Little retires u will probably see Long to LE and Carriker to RE. and Chris Long will be the player everyone thinks he is going to be. That leaves a major void at the most important DL position NT. Cliff Ryan could be inserted in however i would like to draft Ron Brace in the 2nd. and Cliff ryan and Brace can become great in Spags DL substitution packages. I think Victor Adeyanju (sp) is an underrated player on our team. I think he could be like Justin Tuck on the Giants. Victor can come in on important subs and he can take over if there is an injury.

The outside of our OL needs help. I think if we fix this problem this year our Offense can score points. This will give our expensive backfield time to make plays. We can get Jason Smith and use him as the cornerstone to our OL for the next 10 years.
    Carriker would never play RE, if Long gets comfortable on the right side he would most likely stay there.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    Simple question that I thought I knew the answer to but I maybe wrong now. So is the O Line still the #1 need of this team or is maybe the D Line? With the addition of Brown I feel very good about the starting interior line but they will need to resign some depth. Pace can still play and should be healthy to start the season and Barron while not the pro bowler we hoped he would be, was average last year. Now look at the D line, DE Long is o.k., UT AC while good when healthy might not be at 100% to start the year, NT fill in the blank here, DE Little is going to file for social security along with Glover this year. Glover can file for disablity as well.
    So was wondering what others thought. Maybe try and trade down and get B.J. Raji.

To answer your question: no O-line is not our biggest need, we have several other glaring holes that need to be addressed, which is why its sad that the collective seems so dead set on drafting a OT and moving on to the 2nd round when we could trade down possibly pick up another draft pick and address more of our needs.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    To answer your question: no O-line is not our biggest need, we have several other glaring holes that need to be addressed, which is why its sad that the collective seems so dead set on drafting a OT and moving on to the 2nd round when we could trade down possibly pick up another draft pick and address more of our needs.
    Going into the offseason, the O-Line certainly was the biggest need. The interior line needed a Centerpiece (pun entirely intended) and the situation outside was questionable at best. I think now we can narrow the field. Addressing the O-Line, collectively now doesn't appear as great a need as the need for an Offensive Tackle, potentially two.

OT certainly will quickly become the Rams #1 need if it is not addressed early this year. Pace will probably only be here for one more season and the same can likely be said of Barron. Thereafter: who do we start? It's not likely that we can find two starting tackles next offseason and give them the time necessary to establish themselves, so a little foresight is helpful in this instance. I'd say it's the number one need sheerly because of the void it could create next season-- especially if Pace goes down.

To trade down, one requires a partner and fiscally speaking, finding one who wants to pay Second Overall Pick money is unlikely.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

O line is definitely a prioty, but I would still take Curry. The draft is heavy with o-line folks, but my gut say's take BPA IMO that's Curry.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Trade down? what a great idea! why had no one else thought of that?
    /sarcasm

Honestly i would love to trade down, like most here im sure. But like it was said before, we cant if no one wants to. Trading down would be sweet, but honestly how many times has the #2 overall been traded? my guess closer to zero

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I still believe that the linebacker position is our biggest need. IMHO we only have one player of starting caliber out of the three spots, and that of course would be Spoon at WILL. I don't think Draft should be manning the most critical piece of a run stopping defense, and I don't think Pisa will hold up at SAM. I personally like Clifton Ryan NT, but still think we need another big body for a rotation.

This of course all comes down to whether or not Pace is still a Ram come opening day, which at this point in time doesn't seem likely. But even without OP I'm still not entirely sure the OL is more pressing, seeing as how Barron has played DECENTLY at LT two years ago. I guess it comes down to the fact that I would rather have Barron and a rookie(even a second or third rounder) starting than Chris Draft and Pisa out of his position.

My best case scenario, Pace stays and we draft Curry and Laurenitis in rounds 1 and 2- yeah thats how much I think we need new LBs.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

alot depends on what is done with Pace,if he stays than maybe they go for Curry,but if Pace goes than there is no other choice but OT,our offense is horrible and it starts up front,IMO we have the best all around back in football and are wasting him with that horrible o-line,we have a good not great QB who needs max protection to be successful and last I checked the object of the game is to score more points than the other team,so yes I would say the o-line is the #1 priority.