throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Oakland - Russell out, CJ in?

DRAFT BUZZ: The Raiders returned from the NFL Scouting Combine less convinced that Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell is their man for the top pick and with more questions than before after taking a long look at him during the process. Publicly, the Raiders said nothing about Russell or any of the other players who attended the Combine. Privately, several Raider officials questioned Russell's work ethic, said they are concerned about his weight as a long-term issue, and cautioned against making Russell a lead-pipe cinch as the top pick. It now appears just as likely that the Raiders will target Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson in light of his posting a 4.31-second 40-yard dash and saying all the right things during an interview.
    Source: Steve Corkran (Contra Costa Times) through The Sporting News

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Oakland - Russell out, CJ in?

I really doubt the Raiders will draft Quinn or Russell.

They can draft Calvin Johnson in R1 and Drew Stanton in R2.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

While Calvin Johnson is amazing, what good is he to the Faiders if they have no one to throw the ball to him? Unless they have some trade brewing no one knows about or someone they like from the 2nd round, they'd be stupid not to take Russell or Quinn. But Al Davis hasn't been known for his good decisions, so anything is possible...

general counsel is offline Registered User

Johnson ran a 4.35, not a 4.31. Again, watch out for the disinformation. THe raiders may be testing the market to see if someone will trade up to #1 so they can pick up extra picks and still get one of the qb's. Lord knows they need a lot of help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

keith m. klink Guest

well, take a look at what qb's are out there in FA,and who they have , they have ANDREW WALTER, he is good , but their offensive line was crap, so they are making many moves already, a total reshuffle and some replacing. if they we to bring in , say a drew bledsoe, take calvin johnson in the 1st and a drew stanton , or edwards from stanford, in the 2nd rd.,that, and some offensive line and RB depth would really put the raiders in a great position to win some games, their defense doesn't need anything right now.so this could be and would be my move. i think russell should have worked out and not just hang out at the combines, and when he weighed in , he had a flabby gut, and i was more impressed with brady quinn.

Dominator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Johnson ran a 4.35, not a 4.31. Again, watch out for the disinformation. THe raiders may be testing the market to see if someone will trade up to #1 so they can pick up extra picks and still get one of the qb's. Lord knows they need a lot of help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The times are all over the board. Read Gil Brandt. His times are different than some of the "posted" times because there are several timers. It's very possible somebody had CJ at 4.31. Testing the market sounds good. I certainly would if I were the Raiders and looking for a QB. Personally, I'd pick CJ. He seems to be a can't miss, once in a decade or more wr prospect. Picking for need, especially at the top of the draft is a sure way to get a starter instead of a cornerstone.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner.

Allow me to translate. When it reported the Raiders are......"just as likely to target Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson", what they're actually saying is......"We are willing to listen to any and all offers for the top pick".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Country Guest

Calvin is a better prospect.

Deal Moss for a QB.