Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

The obsession with WR at 14 in the draft!

I realise the Rams are in dire need for a stud WR for the offense. That's crystal clear.
    But to add another reciever at 14, to an already super inexperienced group, could make this offense's progression even slower. Let's not forget there will be a new scheme aswell. I think this recieving group needs some veteran help, so unless A.J Green somehow falls to 14. There isnt a WR worth mentioning in the first round.
    Free Agent WR is my hope, and draft the BPA for our needs. Im desperate for some run blocking beast's this offseason, and for once I genuinely have faith in the scouting at Rams park, and expect them to do the right thing. Strange feeling. HA HA.
    GO RAMS.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: The obsession with WR at 14 in the draft!

there is probably gonna be more value at other positions with the 14th pick for sure.

i think the "obsession" faded to an almost passing interest when Blackmon and Floyd returned to school. i would still be interested in Julio Jones if he was still there when we pick..the chances of that happening are debatable tho.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I realise the Rams are in dire need for a stud WR for the offense. That's crystal clear.
    But to add another reciever at 14, to an already super inexperienced group, could make this offense's progression even slower. Let's not forget there will be a new scheme aswell. I think this recieving group needs some veteran help, so unless A.J Green somehow falls to 14. There isnt a WR worth mentioning in the first round.
    Free Agent WR is my hope, and draft the BPA for our needs. Im desperate for some run blocking beast's this offseason, and for once I genuinely have faith in the scouting at Rams park, and expect them to do the right thing. Strange feeling. HA HA.
    GO RAMS.
    My sentiments exactly, Ground Dog. It looks to me that many on the Board are just focusing on our WR issue without taking into consideration that it is the youngest position on the team. IMHO we do not need another rookie to coach up; rather, we need a young veteran to help these young guys to grow.

For this among other reasons I predict the Rams will NOT go wideout @ 14 in this draft, but will select an impact player on the defensive side.

We may go wideout later in the draft if the value is there but that's a big "if".

WHAT SAY YE?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I too prefer a WR in FA, assuming we can get a free agent I think our pick would be better suited for Robert Quinn or Mark Ingram. But if we cant land a free agent we should try to grab Julio Jones.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think this recieving group needs some veteran help, so unless A.J Green somehow falls to 14. There isnt a WR worth mentioning in the first round.
    Julio Jones.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

At 14 isn't Julio Jones the BPA IMO fills need and is also BPA. I highly doubt the Rams are taking a lineman at 14 when they already have spent big money in FA on the line and spent high picks on the line.

The receiving core could use some experience, but this team is still young and building and we want guys who will develop for a long time with bradford. Julio Jones is 20, 5 years younger than Sidney rice the youngest FA receiver. Ya the Rams have young recievers already, but none are as talented as Julio Jones. You talk about switching to a new system, but the FA reciever we get will most likely be a young guy switching to a new system also.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I highly doubt the Rams are taking a lineman at 14 when they already have spent big money in FA on the line and spent high picks on the line.

...You talk about switching to a new system, but the FA receiver we get will most likely be a young guy switching to a new system also.
    Two very good points.

Ill be a lot more specific in future in my posts Avenger. Of course Julio Jones is a first round reciever. Personally, he just doesnt excite me enough for us to warrant taking, especially at 14. He remind's me of Alexander (DX). RAW. I will be interested to see what his 40 time is at the combine.
    Im always wary of taking WR's in the first, Its such a tough position to gauge.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-17-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    At 14 isn't Julio Jones the BPA IMO fills need and is also BPA. I highly doubt the Rams are taking a lineman at 14 when they already have spent big money in FA on the line and spent high picks on the line.

The receiving core could use some experience, but this team is still young and building and we want guys who will develop for a long time with bradford. Julio Jones is 20, 5 years younger than Sidney rice the youngest FA receiver. Ya the Rams have young recievers already, but none are as talented as Julio Jones. You talk about switching to a new system, but the FA reciever we get will most likely be a young guy switching to a new system also.
    At what point did I write that I wanted the Rams to use the 14th pick on a OL?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    there is probably gonna be more value at other positions with the 14th pick for sure.

i think the "obsession" faded to an almost passing interest when Blackmon and Floyd returned to school. i would still be interested in Julio Jones if he was still there when we pick..the chances of that happening are debatable tho.
    I would generally agree. Just a short while ago, it looked like there were going to be 3 to 4 legitimate first round receivers in the draft, and the odds that we would take one of them looked pretty good. Now the scenario has changed. Jones is still a legit option, but we definitely have to consider the possibility that he may not be on the board when we pick or he may not be the best value.

At what point did I write that I wanted the Rams to use the 14th pick on a OL?
    I think it was assumed from the mention of "run blocking beasts".

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think that we could consider trading down for extra picks in the 2nd thru 3rd rounds, concentrate on LB and OL help and find some help at WR in FA or further down the draft. I just don't see an outstanding choice at #14 being able to neatly fill our undoubted need there and we do need help at RG, OLB, RB and SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I think that we could consider trading down for extra picks in the 2nd thru 3rd rounds, concentrate on LB and OL help and find some help at WR in FA or further down the draft. I just don't see an outstanding choice at #14 being able to neatly fill our undoubted need there and we do need help at RG, OLB, RB and SS.
    Love your thinking Fatty Pang, lets hope and pray we can keep up are new drafting prowess?

richtree is offline Registered User

I think we can get a Sidney Rice or a top WR in Free Agency, that with Clayton and a low-tier pick up like L.Naanee would give us a nice core.

Then we can focus on a J.Rodgers Running Back #2 and a Guard for our OLine....

Draft DE/OLB/SS and have a nasty defense for the future.

Free Agency is key as soon as the NFL works out this labor dispute we should go after a WR...

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Provided a new CBA is in place by the deadline (c. beginning of March i believe?), Free Agency will start March 3rd or 4th. The draft is in April. Can we afford to sit back and watch all the FA WRs (Rice, VinnyJ, etc.) get scooped up in hopes that Julio Jones is there when we pick at #14? Seems like too big a gamble. I personally would like to see them aggressively pursue either Rice or VJax in FA and get some impact players on the defensive side of the ball.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Let's not forget there will be a new scheme aswell.

GO RAMS.
    Your right! we are getting a new offensive system. But unless the player has already played for McDaniels wouldnt the FA WR have just as much experience in McDaniel's system as a rookie.

Also the pending CBA will make it hard for players to hit Free Agency and people like V-Jax and Sidney Rice will command wayyyy more money than a 14th pick.

Also we are not getting a WR just for the sake of depth or anything. We will be getting a WR that is a playmaker regardless of age. WE NEED OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS.

One more thing McDaniels offensive scheme is majority of passing dont expect S-Jax to carry more than 30 anytime next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast