throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Odd Draft Question

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Odd Draft Question

One of the things I like to do is through the year check out the mock draft sites to see who they think we'll take. I find it interesting to see how change comes from Aug, then sept, oct, then post playoffs, combine, etc.

Anyway to the point of the question. Unfortunately the sites once updated discard the previous mock. Does anyone know if there is a site, database, or someone that keeps that information through the year? I know can't give links but I could guess.

If not, maybe that is something I could do with my spare time. Go through the sites, get the consensus pick for that wk and let people like me check it out. Not a huge amount of informational value but fun to see the mindset through the year. Be a fun way to learn to put a website together, and implement the database(which I would like to learn as well), MySql, access, or whatever. But if someone has done it already I like to check it out.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Odd Draft Question

Unfortunatly I don't know this, but I'm not surprised about this.

Quite simply, by destroying the evidence these sites get rid of the fact that they were once wrong, but can still quote back to the fact that their 60th mock accurately predicted the Texans first overall pick correctly.
    HUbison likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

You're wanting to Nate Silver on the pundits? Works for me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Anyway to the point of the question. Unfortunately the sites once updated discard the previous mock. Does anyone know if there is a site, database, or someone that keeps that information through the year?
    turbo, that's an excellent question, and an intriguing (though probably frustrating) project to take on. Here's the thing......the Draft is like golf. Everyone can get some clubs go through the same 18 holes of golf as the professionals, and then call themselves a golfer. This time of year everyone fills out a mock draft and now considers themselves a professional. The problem being is that the media and fans are, in fact, not professionals. Some fans have enough self-perspective to understand this. Some do not. The common denominator being that the results in May prove the "draftniks" to be only marginally correct, even the day before the draft. And no where close to accurate weeks and months out. This is too much for some of these folks to handle; and therefore they have to get rid of all previous mocks once available for public consumption.

That's what I like about here. Most (I emphasize "Most") of the folks around here display their mocks for what they are.....one fan's opinion. It then becomes a fun topic to discuss.

What's frustrating is when a fan (read: anybody who is not a professional scout currently working for an NFL team) builds their golden calf, er I mean mock draft, which they feel is above reproach. That schtick truly gets old.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

The wayback machine might work for you: Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

You can go through a calendar of previous crawls of their content.

I used CBS Sports as an example and they had most days crawled from this year. Here's one from a few weeks ago as an example:

2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    turbo, that's an excellent question, and an intriguing (though probably frustrating) project to take on. Here's the thing......the Draft is like golf. Everyone can get some clubs go through the same 18 holes of golf as the professionals, and then call themselves a golfer. This time of year everyone fills out a mock draft and now considers themselves a professional. The problem being is that the media and fans are, in fact, not professionals. Some fans have enough self-perspective to understand this. Some do not. The common denominator being that the results in May prove the "draftniks" to be only marginally correct, even the day before the draft. And no where close to accurate weeks and months out. This is too much for some of these folks to handle; and therefore they have to get rid of all previous mocks once available for public consumption.

That's what I like about here. Most (I emphasize "Most") of the folks around here display their mocks for what they are.....one fan's opinion. It then becomes a fun topic to discuss.

What's frustrating is when a fan (read: anybody who is not a professional scout currently working for an NFL team) builds their golden calf, er I mean mock draft, which they feel is above reproach. That schtick truly gets old.
    To me it is fun to see where they (pro/fan/combo) mocked us to pick. Not only player and position, but what number. Was it way off or pretty close to it. Was a college player a sure thing at the beg of the season still a sure thing or a don't touch with the ten foot pole.

Like I said not too informational other then how trends can be seen. The draft process fascinates me no matter how well or poor we are doing. We could be 15-1 and superbowl champs year after year and I'm still going to check here and other sites to see who we will get. Just my likes I guess. So if they won't do it, maybe I will. :-) I'm sure we could get a kick out of it. :-)

It is stricktly