Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The odds of Trent Richardson over Blackmon?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: The odds of Trent Richardson over Blackmon?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    To me, all that "You can find RB's late" stuff is absolute garbage.
    I didn't say that you cannot find good RB's late in the draft...
    I give up.
    San Diego Ram likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Regardless of where he's selected, thought it might be nice to give old Trent some love - read on ..

Tide's Richardson has few peers physically

In the case of Alabama junior running back Trent Richardson, weight room numbers tell just part of the story when you start to dissect what a freak of nature physically he truly is.

Ask his teammates about him and watch them gasp in amazement.

“You ever seen him with his shirt off?” asks Alabama center William Vlachos. “It’s scary.”

Offensive guard Barrett Jones adds, “You look at him, and the guy is a freak. You watch him work out, and he’s one of the strongest human beings I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to see what he does this year on the field.”

That said, he concedes that the weight room in a lot of ways is his sanctuary.

“I feel lost if I don’t work out,” Richardson said. “It’s a part of me. It’s who I am. I’ve got to do something extra every day. I don’t care what it is. Maybe it’s wrestling my brother, but I’ve got to do something. If I don’t, I feel like something’s missing.”

Richardson’s exploits in the weight room are the stuff of legend at Alabama.

For starters, you’re talking about a 225-pound guy who’s run a 10.4 in the 100 meters and a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash.

If he sees a sliver of daylight, he’s gone.

But he combines that speed with brute strength and explosive power.

You see, Richardson doesn’t know for sure how high he could go on some of the weight-room lifts at Alabama.

He said the Alabama strength staff stopped him at 465 pounds on the bench-press.

“They didn’t want me straining anything,” Richardson explained. “But I wonder what I could do for real.”

The same goes for squats and the power clean. Richardson said he wasn’t allowed to go higher than 600 pounds on squats and “did that easy.”

He’s gone all the way up to 365 pounds on the power clean, but added, “I was doing right around that in high school.”

He said his vertical jump is 36 inches, and he possesses just 6 percent body fat.

“I don’t feel like I’m a weight-lifter,” Richardson said. “I’m a football player who has natural strength, crazy strength, really. I’ve got a lot of God-given talent, and it’s up to me to build on that talent and get the most out of it.

“That’s why you never stop working, and you never think you’ve done enough.”

Even though he was banged up with an assortment of injuries last season, Richardson averaged 6.2 yards per carry and was second only to Kentucky’s Randall Cobb in the SEC in all-purpose yards per game (145.5).

One of the things that makes Richardson such a specimen is his blend of power and speed. He’s a bruising runner who’s adept at making yards after contact, and yet, he’s also a burner when he gets on the outside.

And while Richardson doesn’t think there are many players in the SEC who could beat him in a straight-up race, he jokes that there’s one who definitely could.

“I thought I was pretty fast, and then I went up against my boy, Jeff Demps, in a high school track meet,” Richardson said. “The race started, and I kept up with him for a couple meters and was thinking, ‘He doesn’t look that fast. I’m in this race.’

“But just like that, he pulled away and was celebrating before he finished. Now, that is one fast dude.”

Indeed he is, but Richardson is one freakish dude in his own right.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I give up.
    WORDING REMOVED by ADMIN ------------------- are you serious right now? What I meant by my first statement was everyone is saying you can go out and grab RB's in rounds 5-7 and they will be pro bowlers, while I was simply saying the fact that you can go out and find all these amazing players late and not to take them early is absurd. Obviously you can find good RB's late, I meant that just because you can find the occasional RB gem its no reason to pass up on a TRICH at the high first round.

Why do you pretend like you cannot comprehend my point? I obviously didn't mean You cant find RB's late in a literal sense, I was trying to prove the argument of "No need to take RB's high because many are found later" is incorrect by stating that you cant find RB's late meaning out of 5 late RB's taken 4 are no where in 2 years.

I obviously know (like everyone else on earth) that every position can be found later ...
    Last edited by RamDez; -02-22-2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Use of words

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Regardless of where he's selected, thought it might be nice to give old Trent some love - read on ..

Tide's Richardson has few peers physically

In the case of Alabama junior running back Trent Richardson, weight room numbers tell just part of the story when you start to dissect what a freak of nature physically he truly is.

Ask his teammates about him and watch them gasp in amazement.

“You ever seen him with his shirt off?” asks Alabama center William Vlachos. “It’s scary.”

Offensive guard Barrett Jones adds, “You look at him, and the guy is a freak. You watch him work out, and he’s one of the strongest human beings I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to see what he does this year on the field.”

That said, he concedes that the weight room in a lot of ways is his sanctuary.

“I feel lost if I don’t work out,” Richardson said. “It’s a part of me. It’s who I am. I’ve got to do something extra every day. I don’t care what it is. Maybe it’s wrestling my brother, but I’ve got to do something. If I don’t, I feel like something’s missing.”

Richardson’s exploits in the weight room are the stuff of legend at Alabama.

For starters, you’re talking about a 225-pound guy who’s run a 10.4 in the 100 meters and a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash.

If he sees a sliver of daylight, he’s gone.

But he combines that speed with brute strength and explosive power.

You see, Richardson doesn’t know for sure how high he could go on some of the weight-room lifts at Alabama.

He said the Alabama strength staff stopped him at 465 pounds on the bench-press.

“They didn’t want me straining anything,” Richardson explained. “But I wonder what I could do for real.”

The same goes for squats and the power clean. Richardson said he wasn’t allowed to go higher than 600 pounds on squats and “did that easy.”

He’s gone all the way up to 365 pounds on the power clean, but added, “I was doing right around that in high school.”

He said his vertical jump is 36 inches, and he possesses just 6 percent body fat.

“I don’t feel like I’m a weight-lifter,” Richardson said. “I’m a football player who has natural strength, crazy strength, really. I’ve got a lot of God-given talent, and it’s up to me to build on that talent and get the most out of it.

“That’s why you never stop working, and you never think you’ve done enough.”

Even though he was banged up with an assortment of injuries last season, Richardson averaged 6.2 yards per carry and was second only to Kentucky’s Randall Cobb in the SEC in all-purpose yards per game (145.5).

One of the things that makes Richardson such a specimen is his blend of power and speed. He’s a bruising runner who’s adept at making yards after contact, and yet, he’s also a burner when he gets on the outside.

And while Richardson doesn’t think there are many players in the SEC who could beat him in a straight-up race, he jokes that there’s one who definitely could.

“I thought I was pretty fast, and then I went up against my boy, Jeff Demps, in a high school track meet,” Richardson said. “The race started, and I kept up with him for a couple meters and was thinking, ‘He doesn’t look that fast. I’m in this race.’

“But just like that, he pulled away and was celebrating before he finished. Now, that is one fast dude.”

Indeed he is, but Richardson is one freakish dude in his own right.
    This guys a MONSTER! If I had a choice for a predecessor to SJAX, hands down TRICH.

" He’s gone all the way up to 365 pounds on the power clean, but added, “I was doing right around that in high school.”

Is this supposed to be funny?

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    He said the exact same thing about Andre Smith when he was there.

What I meant by my first statement was everyone is saying you can go out and grab RB's in rounds 5-7 and they will be pro bowlers
    Actually, everyone is not saying that.

I meant that just because you can find the occasional RB gem its no reason to pass up on a TRICH at the high first round.
    You're mischaracterizing the argument.

I'm not talking about gems; I'm talking about late first and second round guys that are identified as known values that teams can acquire without spending premium resources. You're making it sound as if we're talking about a sixth-round QB that a team just stumbles upon who becomes a star.

The list I provided illustrates that there is value at the position beyond the top of the first round. Your earlier claim that the premium running backs are picked at the top is simply not backed up by fact. A few premium runners are, but more actually are not. Teams are realizing that they don't have to spend high first round picks on RB to get a quality player at that position, especially in a league that's moving away from the stud 300+ attempts per year running back.

Richardson is a very good prospect. I'd grade him among the Top 5-6 in this class. But his position is working against him, and teams are going to consider prospects at more important positions (QB, LT, pass rusher, WR, CB) before they'll consider Trent with that top pick. Trent could (and should) get picked in the Top Ten if his grade is far superior to the other available prospects, but the ability to find capable running backs outside the Top Ten and even outside the first round is going to weigh on GMs' minds as they debate between a running back and a more premium position, especially if the grades are closer.

Consider this: the New York Giants just won the Super Bowl despite having the league's absolute worst running game this season. They beat the New England Patriots, whose top running back this season only achieved 667 yards on 181 carries. These are the same New England Patriots that just drafted running backs in the second and third round of last year's draft.

Why do you pretend like you cannot comprehend my point?
    Let's recap.

In one post, you said the idea that teams can find running backs late is "absolute garbage." Then, you followed that up by claiming you never said teams can't find running backs late. Now, you wonder why I'm "pretending" to not comprehend your point.

There's no pretending here; your contradictory statements make it difficult to understand what you're actually saying. If you believe teams actually can find good running backs late in the draft, then it might not be wise to call that opinion "absolute garbage."

These situations can be avoided in the future by removing the hyperbole and over the top statements that you'll only have to backpedal from later, and just presenting an informed, supported opinion. No one here is a mind-reader; the only window we have into your opinion are the exact words you choose to present.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Odds are high Richardson > Blackmon. the market is too nice for pro-bowl wideouts in freeagency

ludairv is offline Registered User

How bout this? Sounds ridiculously out of the realm of possibility, but what if the rams traded down with cleveland , picked up richardson. and trade the 22nd to Pitt for Mike wallace lmao

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think I understand what Sosa is saying. Yeah you can get solid running backs late in the draft. But only once in a while do we get a prospect like TRich at RB.

So he is worth thinking about picking up than trying to find that gem in the later rounds. Lately, I've been really thinking about picking up Richardson as well. I do also think that the only way I would like this is if we got 1.4 and 1.22...and we picked up colston or vjax in FA

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Reggie Bush was a once in a lifetime RB.
    Ingram was a once in a lifetime RB.
    McFadden was a once in a lifetime RB. I remember hearing guys on the radio demand we trade the often injured Jackson for the can't miss McFadden.

At Alabama, Richardson was a between the tackles runner. We'll see what his 40x is at the combine because if you are limited in your running tracks (all inside versus the threat of running outside), you aren't worth a top 10 pick. Upper body strength and size are over rated for a RB. It's about speed and leg strength. note Jones-Drew and Turner. To be premier, you must be able to threaten an outside burst to keep LBs honest.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Nick you pointed out the RBs drafted in the top 10 and one name sticks out and that is Adrian Peterson its tough to argue against a talent like that. With Jackson mentoring and Richardson's work ethic it can really work in our favor...

Plus if Rich can excel in his first year we have 2 big advantages: Trade asset and Cap relief hate to say it but Jax is getting old and we never know when his wheels will run out just look at shaun alexander he had the greatest year of his career in 2005 1880 yards 5.1 YPC 27 TDs thats pretty amazing then all of a sudden the next year he was either injured or ineffective 896 yards 3.6 YPC 7TD

It happened just like that and i do not want to go down that road with the rams

And that whole thing of finding RBs late...you do know that many many RBs are taken late and although some turn out to become stars most do not you need to break it down into a percentage...Also in previous years the game has been about running the ball to set up the passing game...now teams pass more often to take men out of the box to run it

" I'm not talking about gems; I'm talking about late first and second round guys that are identified as known values that teams can acquire without spending premium resources. You're making it sound as if we're talking about a sixth-round QB that a team just stumbles upon who becomes a star.

The list I provided illustrates that there is value at the position beyond the top of the first round. Your earlier claim that the premium running backs are picked at the top is simply not backed up by fact. A few premium runners are, but more actually are not. Teams are realizing that they don't have to spend high first round picks on RB to get a quality player at that position, especially in a league that's moving away from the stud 300+ attempts per year running back. "

Obviously there is going to be great players at all positions that are picked in rounds 2 and 3. I didn't mean that all RB's that are picked in Rd 1 are guaranteed to be great. Most of the RB's that are taken high were drafted that high because of terrible scouting. There all about the big play in the NFL so once again, why was Reggie Bush even considered for #1? C.J Spiller up there? Guys like TRICH or McFadden or AP should be because their excellent players in all phases of the game.

Plus, that 300+ carry thing worked pretty well for the ***** who arguably could have been SB champs had Kyle Williams not screwed up 2 times... Look at their WR's, laughable. Kyle Williams and Michael Crabtree? Our WR corps was better than that... They had a power running game and solid TE. TRICH and SJ could easily provide that (with a fix in the offensive line).

If teams choose RB's that fit their scheme and type of offense, than no matter where their chosen or found, they will pan out. RB is like any other position. If you put Jacob Bell in a man to man blocking scheme he'll blow like he did because hes a ZBS type of player. Same goes for RB's like I said. Players like TRICH are universal. They can work in any type of system. But a guy like Tim Hightower or Arian Foster who are 1 cut and go runners need that ZBS running scheme to succeed, in which they did.

Thats my theory on people finding many successful non 1st round RB's. Plus most RB's slide because that position has so many aspects. To be considered top 5 you must be a solid blocker, great pass catcher, a monster in the run game, a consistent runner, a durable runner, and one who can go in the middle or on the edge. There isn't many RB's that can do that, which is why many 1st Rd RB's sucked. Like Bush, the only thing he's ever been good at is coming out on the flat and taking the ball for a 1st down, and as soon as he starts and barely cracks 1,000 everyone is saying "We're idiots, looks like Reggie can run up the middle and can be a featured back!".

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Reggie Bush was a once in a lifetime RB.
    Ingram was a once in a lifetime RB.
    McFadden was a once in a lifetime RB. I remember hearing guys on the radio demand we trade the often injured Jackson for the can't miss McFadden.

At Alabama, Richardson was a between the tackles runner. We'll see what his 40x is at the combine because if you are limited in your running tracks (all inside versus the threat of running outside), you aren't worth a top 10 pick. Upper body strength and size are over rated for a RB. It's about speed and leg strength. note Jones-Drew and Turner. To be premier, you must be able to threaten an outside burst to keep LBs honest.
    Agree and Disagree on a couple parts.

Agree, I am a little worried about Richardsons ability to run outside. That is needed in todays NFL. Sometimes you see that with our own Steven Jackson. Never able to get that huge run for a TD. If not never, just usually not. So if he had that as well (kind of an adrian peterson look) then Richardson will be worth it.

Disagree, not everyone agreed that all those guys were once in a life time. When those guys came out, I know a lot of people including me that never said Bush or Ingram was once in a lifetime. I will say that I had high hopes on McFadden though. But never thought ingram would actually turn into a starter in NFL, nor will Bush be able to be the premier starter with 90% carries on any team

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Agree and Disagree on a couple parts.

Agree, I am a little worried about Richardsons ability to run outside. That is needed in todays NFL. Sometimes you see that with our own Steven Jackson. Never able to get that huge run for a TD. If not never, just usually not. So if he had that as well (kind of an adrian peterson look) then Richardson will be worth it.

Disagree, not everyone agreed that all those guys were once in a life time. When those guys came out, I know a lot of people including me that never said Bush or Ingram was once in a lifetime. I will say that I had high hopes on McFadden though. But never thought ingram would actually turn into a starter in NFL, nor will Bush be able to be the premier starter with 90% carries on any team
    Richardson and Jackson are premier runners when going through the middle of the field.. Richardson can also break them outside easily, he's got very deceptive speed for a monster. He did break one against LSU in the National Championship for a good 40+ yards on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Nick you pointed out the RBs drafted in the top 10 and one name sticks out and that is Adrian Peterson its tough to argue against a talent like that.
    Adrian Peterson is a great player, but he's one success story over the last decade. Count McFadden if you'd like to bring your total to two. Two stand out successes when taking a RB in the top ten over the last decade, and more than twice as many flops. That's not exactly a great argument for pursuing that draft strategy, IMO, especially when you look at the equally successful guys who have come from outside the Top Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    And that whole thing of finding RBs late...you do know that many many RBs are taken late and although some turn out to become stars most do not you need to break it down into a percentage...Also in previous years the game has been about running the ball to set up the passing game...now teams pass more often to take men out of the box to run it
    Yes, I'm aware that there are a number of running backs taken later in the draft that do not pan out. My scars of the Brian Leonard pick are still visible.

But when you see so many late first, second, or third round running backs among the top players at the position in the league right now, it speaks to the fact that teams are able to find talented players at that position without spending premium resources to do it.

It's not a guarantee, but then again, nothing is. You simply have to look at value and trends. The trend is that this is a passing league, and capable backs can emerge from outside the Top Ten. We're not talking about random gems that beat the odds to become something; we're talking about legitimate second and third round talents who can function at high efficiency in the league in the right situation.

Plus, that 300+ carry thing worked pretty well for the ***** who arguably could have been SB champs had Kyle Williams not screwed up 2 times...

Frank Gore only had 282 carries on the season for the *****, so I have no idea what you're talking about here.

If teams choose RB's that fit their scheme and type of offense, than no matter where their chosen or found, they will pan out.

Statements like this support my side of the argument, which is why it's difficult to figure out your real position at times. If you really believe what you've said here, then you of all people should understand why teams wouldn't spend premium resources on a running back.

If teams can find a runner in the second round or later who fits their scheme, and he's going to pan out, then take him and use that premium pick on a position that is not only historically tougher to fill (QB, LT, pass rusher, CB, WR) but also has a larger impact on your team's success.

Again, this is all assuming the grades are close. If Richardson is far and away the highest graded player on your board, and the next option carries a much lower grade, then a team should take him. But if it's close, you go with the value position, which in today's NFL is simply not RB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast