View Poll Results: Should the Rams consider using their first round pick on an offensive tackle?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they have to at least consider it.

16 53.33%
  • No, they shouldn't consider it at all.

14 46.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offensive tackle?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Offensive tackle?

I've been looking at some mocks from analysts and fans, and while the majority of them still seem to view WR as a major priority for the Rams, I've started to see the name Matt Kalil sneak into a couple of projections for the Rams.

For those who may not know, USC's Matt Kalil is viewed by many as the draft's top rated offensive tackle and a potential Top Five choice.

So far this season, the play of Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith has left a lot to be desired. If that trend continues through the season, how would you feel about the Rams considering using another high pick on an offensive tackle to try and better protect their franchise quarterback?

It might be a tough pill to swallow, having just drafted Jason Smith with the second overall pick in 2009, and with big needs at receiver as well, but it's a projection I'm starting to see more and more, and I was curious to see where Rams fans would weigh in.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Offensive tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So far this season, the play of Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith has left a lot to be desired. If that trend continues through the season, how would you feel about the Rams considering using another high pick on an offensive tackle to try and better protect their franchise quarterback?
    I feel protecting your franchise quarterback is of the highest priority. Too bad about J. Smith, but Sam was a number one overall pick. Sure wide receiver is a priority, but if Sam is getting consistently mauled, it won't matter who our receivers are. If at the end of this season it is apparent we need an upgrade at left tackle and a really good one is available when we pick in 2012, then I'm all for it. It would be nice if Saffold pulls out of his slump, but who knows? The guy on the other end (Smith) is beginning to look more and more like a bust given how high he was picked and the money he is being paid. I'm sure the jury will be out by season's end. For now I'll just keep hoping and my fingers crossed ..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No. We just cant afford to do this again. I mean he is an excellent player but we just cant afford to pass up on big weapons again for another tackle.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely not.

As far as I'm concerned its WR, WR or WR.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I feel ya on e the T position but we need a WR badly, if not wR then a CB... then maybe T!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Absolutely not.

As far as I'm concerned its WR, WR or WR.
    So you are convinced that Saffold and Smith will eventually round out into solid players for us?

While we're on the subject (OT vs WR), which of those two positions do you believe will be more talent laden in the 2012 draft Nick?

Treeram is offline Registered User

Here's the issue: Can these tackles be effective? are they really gaping holes like receiver? Yes and no. It doesn't matter how well you protect a guy if no one gets open...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Im with the majority of people on this, NO NO NO. we've used to much on OT's and they just need to step up. Im not against grabin a tackle in 3rd or above though. but for our 1st round pick, it'd knock the wind out of me if it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeram View Post
    Here's the issue: Can these tackles be effective? are they really gaping holes like receiver? Yes and no. It doesn't matter how well you protect a guy if no one gets open...
    Conversely it doesn't matter how "open" a receiver is if the QB is on his back with a 300 lb lineman draped across him .. I'm hoping our two tackles can show some solid improvement by this season's end, but it isn't a lock for either one. As Nick stated when starting this thread, it would be a bitter pill to swallow if we have to replace a busted OT.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If Marquis Johnson doesn't step up his game and our secondary is still getting burned on a weekly basis, then I would consider a CB or even safety. But if Bradford keeps getting sacked from week to week, then I would consider finding a new OT while we could move Saffold at RT and Smith at OG.

Treeram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Conversely it doesn't matter how "open" a receiver is if the QB is on his back with a 300 lb lineman draped across him .. I'm hoping our two tackles can show some solid improvement by this season's end, but it isn't a lock for either one. As Nick stated when starting this thread, it would be a bitter pill to swallow if we have to replace a busted OT.
    It's a lot easier to implement a short passing game than keep adding offensive linemen. Best way to slow down a pass rush is a consistent running game and a solid screen game. We have bookends that can be great tackles...we just need to grow a little.
    It's a josh mcdaniels system which likely means that the offensive line play is a bit more complicated...more worried about the wideouts and then pick up a nice OT in the second or third round.
    ALSO, remember the teams we have had to play...they all excel at getting to the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeram View Post
    We have bookends that can be great tackles...we just need to grow a little.
    Hopefully they do improve enough that we don't have to find a replacement for either, in which case we could select an OT later in the draft for depth and bring him along slowly. BUT, if one or the other (God forbid that it be both) doesn't pan out ... then we'll have to cut our losses and fix it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really feel like our O-line is taking to much blame for the sacks allowed this season.

Last season I thought they did a pretty good job. Why? West coast offense and Bradford rolling out "alot".

Even though we made an upgrade by bringing in Dahl it looks like the O-line isn't playing as well this season. (referring to sacks only)

My defense for the O-line goes like this.

New offense
    Bradford is not rolling out
    Amendola's injury has taken away Bradfords security blanket.
    Receivers are just not getting open on time consistently enough.

So my answer is no way do I want to see us put the O-line as a top priority for next seasons draft.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nick,

I've been noticing the same thing. In fact, I've got the Rams taking Kalil on my own mock at this point in time with Saffold moving to RT and Smith to guard.

While it looks to me like Kalil is a legit top 5 pick who could be a 10 year starter, I am not convinced that the same could be said for Blackmon or Jeffrey.

Regardless of what the Rams do we MUST get value for this pick; we can ill afford any reaches because of perceived "needs".

That is always the recipe for disaster...

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast