View Poll Results: Should the Rams consider using their first round pick on an offensive tackle?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they have to at least consider it.

16 53.33%
  • No, they shouldn't consider it at all.

14 46.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offensive tackle?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Offensive tackle?

It'll be interesting to see how the play of DeMarcus Ware affects the discussion.

macrammer is offline Registered User

We do not have receivers that have speed and can get open. Does this help to translate to a line that is ineffective or is the need for speed more pressing and will aid the line in reducing the time required for Sam to hit open receiver? This topic is one of the more disappointing aspects of this season. I truly believed we had turned a corner with our o line drafts and FA acquisitions. For now, I expect (hopeful??) line comes together. Draft WR.....

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I honestly feel the Rams have the players here now, to make this line work.? It's just a matter of the players getting the necessary coaching and experience.? I would not give up on these players just yet.!
    Moving some of the players to guard, could be an option too. I still feel its easier getting a good lineman later in the draft, than it is to find a No.1 WR. I dont know very much about this years WR crop, I just hope we get a better than average chance, to draft our man.?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The one main reason I was down on Saffold when we drafted him was his height. Being under 6'5, I suspected Saffold would have a tough time against bigger, lankier defensive ends. If a tackle is under 6'5, he must have a great anchoring center of gravity, with great strength. Saffold doesn't have great strength, and from what we've seen so far, the only thing he is anchoring is his butt to the turf.

I feel that Saffold is too much of a finesse blocker who is lacking in strength and size to be a premier offensive tackle. He needs to gain strength and become more aggressive.

With Matt Kalil, the guy is a brick wall. At 6'7 300lbs, his tape shows that he is a mammoth in the run game, and he is a wall in the passing game. He does have some flaws, but I love scouting linemen, and he looks like he'll be a future elite tackle. He has a very, very high ceiling.

Which ever team gets him will be set at LT for a long time.

chiguy is offline Registered User

The only answer that makes any sense to me -- BPA. Everyone on this roster should be considered replaceable outside of Bradford.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how the play of DeMarcus Ware affects the discussion.
    Saffold pretty much held Ware to only 1 sack but who seriously doesn't? Any questions regarding Saffold's capabilities of being the future at LT?

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Saffold pretty much held Ware to only 1 sack but who seriously doesn't? Any questions regarding Saffold's capabilities of being the future at LT?
    He's too weak.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Draft Kalil for the LT spot and move Saffold to the RT. He can either fight it out with Smitty and the loser goes to the bench or left guard.

We simply MUST fix this OL or Sam will be "Bulgerized" into submission.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

At first, I disagreed with the majority. Smith may be a 2nd pick bust, but that doesn't mean he has no value. I think if the Rams think Kalil is a necessary upgrade, go for it and get what value you can by trading smith. The suggestion of keeping both smith & drafting kalil is a cap killer though... those funds will be needed to shore up other positions.

But then I got to thinking more. Saffold's got what it takes to hold down the LT. He's not perfect, but he's solid in year 2, despite the mental lapses. The cadence and hiking in this offense is way different than before. (Notice all the fake qb leg stomps intended to identify the defense packages and coverage?).

So why spend a tippity top pick on fixing something that ain't broken? Drafting Kalil would be for LT. Too high a pick for RT.

General consensus is the RT spot does not need the same talent level as the blind side LT spot. I heard many guffaws when Saffold went to the left and the high picked Smith stayed at RT. "What a waste" was a common quote regarding that. So, now my feeling is this. If a 3-4 round RT talent exists, you can still trade Smith, grab a functional RT at moderate price, and use the higher picks & cap space to shore up other bpa/needs.

At this point, I don't see any other way to do it. If they can't trade Smith, which would surprise me, then he's gonna have to battle it out with the rookie RT. That's a no good scenario for Demoff by keeping a giant cap anchor on the team, but would force him to step it up and the mid round tackle gets to learn the ropes and the Rams get to cut ties with Goldberg, Wragge and co.

So my new stance is NO. Bypass Kalil for a solid RT, and dangle Smith for bait. If he's snatched up, great. If not, then the team gets a young tackle as an OL backup, rather than an old vet that was scooped up from another teams' trash heap and the teams not stuck with even more money sucked up by having Kalil on the OL too.
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -10-24-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: low on coffee. reasoning needed help to be clearer

Rambos is online now Registered User

Dallas game was a good game for the o-line only giving up one sack and they did protect better. I think the impact of a WR that can get open will helped a lot. Lloyd was targeted 11 times and the ball came out fast and on time. Adding Clayton and possibly Blackmon would really make a differences. It doers matter how quickly a WR can separate or be near the spot where the QB is going with the ball. Bradford has taken a lot of coverage sacks. He's only thrown 2 INT but has taken a beating, he has not forced the ball into coverage. he's not rolling out so he can't just throw the ball away like he did a lot last year to avoid the sack.

I think Saffold will play better he is in his second year, think he will settle down.
    Smith not so sure about, I kind of like trying him inside on the right side next to Saffold.
    Dump Bell which I think will happen regardless. Draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round. Possibly add a RT via FA. Center may have to be addressed as well. Run blocking is another issue inside will Bell and Brown both not playing well IMO.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The only way we pick an OT over a WR is if it is Matt Kalil...kalil should be number 1 on our draft board over every other player including Andrew Luck (we have bradford)...Lets say Spags is still coach...Spags goal was to build up the trenches on both sides and right now our O-line is not getting the job done. Our O-line should not be good it should be elite...Jason Smith may seem like a bust right now but he was talent (not #2 pick talent) so why dont we maximize that talent by taking Kalil moving Saffold to RT then bumping Smith to inside guard make him utilize that mean streak he has....It is more important to keep Bradford up right then get him a receiver he worked well with Danny boy and Mark Clayton last year.
    Rambos likes this.

Again, Saffold is going to have a hard time on the right side, especially since there are a lot more stronger bull rushers on that side.

Smith better take a pay cut if he moves inside.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Again, Saffold is going to have a hard time on the right side, especially since there are a lot more stronger bull rushers on that side.

Smith better take a pay cut if he moves inside.
    wat do you mean saffold is to weak to play one side of the field and not the other. Being on the left side he has experience vs. bull rushers. I agree there are better bull rushers on the right side but it is an adjustment and saffold has great footwork and it is worth a try. I think as long as Saffold stop committing stupid penalties he will be fine on the right side. He was originally projected as our RT when drafted.

I doubt smith will take a pay cut being on his rookie deal. If he plays really well we pay him till the end if he struggles inside we cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    wat do you mean saffold is to weak to play one side of the field and not the other. Being on the left side he has experience vs. bull rushers. I agree there are better bull rushers on the right side but it is an adjustment and saffold has great footwork and it is worth a try. I think as long as Saffold stop committing stupid penalties he will be fine on the right side. He was originally projected as our RT when drafted.

I doubt smith will take a pay cut being on his rookie deal. If he plays really well we pay him till the end if he struggles inside we cut him.
    Yes, I will say it again. Usually more bullrushers play LE than RE.

With Saffold, he isn't the strongest guy, and he will get bullied. Fixing footwork won't majorly much here, he has to get stronger. And getting stronger isn't an adjustment, it's an improvement.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

OT is our #1 need imo. Followed by CB and then DT. I know people are going to think I'm crazy but I like our receivers. As long as Lloyd and Clayton are resigned I'm happy with our receiving corps. Add Amendola, Salas, Pettis and Alexander and we have a solid group with guys to fit every role. Lloyd and Alexander are deep threats. Clayton, Lloyd, and Salas route runners. Alexander and Pettis big guys and Amendola and Salas slot threats.

To me we take the best player available really. If there's a superstar wr then we take him but if there are equally great OT(Khalil), DT or Cb I'd prefer them.

Btw I hate the argument that we shouldn't take a tackle because we already have. We all said that after we picked all those dts and now we are wishing we had picked a great dt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast