Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Official 2008 NFL Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    McFadden to face tough questions in Indy
    By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
    Feb 21, 1:45 pm EST

INDIANAPOLIS

McFadden will be under tight scrutiny because if he is one of the top three picks, he could get a contract with well over $20 million in guarantee money. Last year, No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell reportedly received $29 million in guarantees and another $3 million in easily-obtainable bonus from the Oakland Raiders. Projecting increases in the pool for rookie players, the first player selected this season could get more than $31 million in guarantees.
    These young men/kids are being paid entirely to much money. I don't blame them for going for as much as they can get but shoot when are the owners in the NFL going to wake up???

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The more I learn about Jake Long at the combine and just getting more information from him the more i start to like him and the faster he moves up my board. The guys measurable's are crazy almost a foot long hands benches like a maniac. You get enamored with his combine numbers, but he is also a great player who has only given up two sacks in his career. He does two thing Barron doesn't he leads and he lifts weights

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Apparently Cal receiver DeSean Jackson only measured in at 5'9" and 169 pounds at the combine today. Jackson has been listed as tall as 6'0" but was more realistically expected to be about 5'11". This could really cause him to drop a little bit, perhaps out of the first round. But if he does drop, I can't help but wonder if Mike Martz lobbies for him for the ***** at the end of the first round.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

I have been watching the combine for almost a couple of hours now, and from what I have seen, Jake Long is not making me squeal with enthusiasm. His big negative that I saw was how he handles the pass rush, which was my biggest turnoff. The guy who made my eyes pop out as far as Carriker did last year was Mike Pollak. He ran 2 sub-5 40's, and on his first, he ran a 1.00 10-yd split. His reactions were amazing, and his movements were as clean as a sewing machine. Here's my dream scenario:

Take Chris Long with the #2 pick, then trade Little and Glover to NE for the #7 pick they got from SF, and take Mike Pollak with the #7. That would free up 12.5 million in space, rob NE of their only chance at a first-rounder, and addresses 2 needs within the top 10 picks of the draft.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    I have been watching the combine for almost a couple of hours now, and from what I have seen, Jake Long is not making me squeal with enthusiasm.
    That's kind of strange, because I think he's been having an excellent combine so far. He came in chiseled at weigh ins and dominated the bench press. I thought he looked clean and showed good leverage in some of the blocking drills, though I didn't get to see his three-cone... I'll have to rewind on the DVR.

The consensus opinion is that he needs to improve his footwork and lateral agility to handle elite speed rushers at the next level, but he's done nothing to cause him to waver from being the top OL in this class.

He ran 2 sub-5 40's
    Which means very little for offensive linemen, IMO. I do like Pollak as a mid to late first day selection, though. We could certainly use some help at center.

Take Chris Long with the #2 pick, then trade Little and Glover to NE for the #7 pick they got from SF, and take Mike Pollak with the #7.
    New England is not taking that deal, and Pollak is no where near valued that highly. Sorry, MOM.

Weigh ins from today...

Chris Long - 6'3'' 272
    Vernon Gholston - 6'3'' 266
    Philip Merling - 6'4'' 276
    Derrick Harvey - 6'4'' 291
    Calais Campbell - 6'8'' 290
    Sedrick Ellis - 6'0 309
    Glenn Dorsey - 6'1'' 297
    Kentwam Balmer - 6'4'' 308
    Trevor Laws - 6'1'' 304
    Marcus Harrison - 6'3'' 317
    Keith Rivers - 6'2'' 241
    Dan Connor - 6'2'' 231
    Erin Henderson - 6'3'' 244
    Xavier Adibi - 6'2'' 232

Some Chris Long comments from the combine...

Q: What did you measure in today at? And how do you feel about 3-4 versus 4-3?
    A: I measured in today at 6'3" and 272 pounds. I feel this is a good weight for me. This is what I played at about or maybe a little bit lighter. I feel that I could play at either scheme. Interestingly enough, people talk about what a transition it would be for me to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. But, let's not forget that I never played in a 4-3 in college either. I was a base defensive end in a 3-4. Either position would be a fresh start for me and an opportunity to learn and an opportunity for me to progress as a player.

Q: What would it mean to be the number one pick in the Draft?
    A: It would mean I have to show up and work hard. No matter where I was picked, any opportunity to play in the National Football League is an opportunity I would cherish. To be in that position you have to work even harder and show up with more humility and more of an open mind, because people will be looking at you. Wherever I go and whoever I go play for, I'm a football player. I enjoy playing football, I enjoy the game, I enjoy being a teammate. I won't change. I'll be the same guy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Chris Long - 6'3'' 272
    Vernon Gholston - 6'3'' 266
    Looks like one has been trimming down, and the other bulking up. Hard to believe these guys are just 6 pounds apart now.
    Derrick Harvey - 6'4'' 291
    Holy buffet buster, Batman!!! Nick, tell me that's a type!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Holy buffet buster, Batman!!! Nick, tell me that's a type!
    Yeah, it appears it was inaccurately reported to the NFL Network. What I'm hearing now is that Harvey weighed in at 271.

291 Harvey, mamamia. Carl Nicks clocked in at an impressive 5.12 faster than Jake Long, Chris Williams, and Anthony Collins. Quite impressive for a 330+ guy.

My second round big board
    1. Brandon Albert
    2. Jeff Otah
    3. Carl Nicks

all have the size and ability to play guard until they replace Pace at tackle.

271 is still pretty big for Harvey couple pounds less than Long. He played at 250 intresting to see how fast he could be at 271 bigger than Gholston and a little smaller than Long

Nick are you as impressed with Long as I am. He is shooting up my board
    Last edited by Nick; -02-24-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Merging back to back to back posts, just edit next time instead of making two replies

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Nick are you as impressed with Long as I am. He is shooting up my board
    Which Long? Jake? I've said for a little while now that he'd be the best combination of need and value on the board if Chris Long is gone. He came into this weekend as a legitimate top five pick in this class, and I think he helped himself. I still need to see all the numbers from some of his drills as some weren't televised, but I was impressed with what I saw from him. He led the pack in the bench, which isn't easy for a guy with long arms. I liked his performance in the mirror drill as well - he stayed low and didn't bend at the waist, and he moved pretty well laterally while following his guy.

What do you suppose we do with Barron or Pace if draft Long who is currently number 2 on my board behind Chris Long.

What do you suppose we do with Barron or Pace if draft Long who is currently number 2 on my board behind Chris Long.
    Keep Pace @ LT, allow Long to compete with Barron for the RT job. If Long wins out, then Barron becomes your third OT and he can spend more time practicing on the left side to see if he has a future there. But if Barron wins out, Jake can compete at either guard spot for immediate time. Or you could basically give him one of the guard spots so he can be a Day One starter (immediate impact) and allow Setterstrom/Incognito to fight it out for the other one. In any case, you're going to have better depth along the O-line, which we seem to need year in and year out.

So you don't see us trading either? What if we see Long as a beastly LT and an upgrade over Pace at this stage of his career with his injury issues
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -02-24-2008 at 01:45 AM.

So you don't see us trading either? What if we see Long as a beastly LT and an upgrade over Pace at this stage of his career with his injury issues
    I think trading makes a lot of sense, and I'd be open to listen to all deals. I would much rather prefer to address our need for a pass rusher with that first round pick, and moving down if Chris Long isn't there puts us in a better position to do just that. However, I just don't think it's very realistic. So if Chris Long is off the board and we can't make a trade down, I think Jake Long makes the most sense to me in terms of best addressing both a need and getting good value for the selection.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast