Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Glenn Dorsey Pro Day Results

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    40 Yard Dash - 5.14
    Not that it matters, but I expected less.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I just hope this guy stays away from the rest of the NFC West. Whatever team he gets on he's going to wreak havoc eventually.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Weight - 297 lbs.
    Not that it matters, he looks kinda fat.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

So did Manu Manu the Slender but boy could he hit....

Hint to bison....that's a movie reference

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    According to LSUsports.net...
    Bench Reps - 27 of 225 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not that it matters, but I expected more.
    Weight room strength is overrated when it comes to playing football IMO. Think 40 yd dash .. We have all seen guys with blazing 40 times wash out when it comes to actually playing NFL football. How many times have NFL teams fallen in love with a guy's measurables only to find out millions of dollars later the guy can't cut is as a football player.

As a 12 yr old kid, I can remember my then 46 yr old father literally ripping a Los Angeles telephone book in half with his bare hands, the same hands that could bend railroad spikes. He never lifted weights that I knew of, and most certainly didn't "workout". He did play a little college football at USC back in the day(DT) 2nd or 3rd string, at the respectable weight (at the time) of 230 lbs.

Glen has natural strength he was born with which is best measured on the playing field. His teammates have raved about his hand strength, and coaches have noted his ability to "rag doll" opposing linemen .. I am beginning to get a gut feeling that this kid may be the best player overall in this year's draft. I know lots of you feel differently, but I sure won't be "knashing my teeth" if the Rams select Dorsey .. Tex .. I'm with you man .. I really like this kid !!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by maui
    Weight room strength is overrated when it comes to playing football IMO.
    Don't get me wrong, maui. I hear ya. In fact, who holds the record for the most bench reps at the Combine? Mike Kudla. Yea, that's right, who the flip is Mike Kudla?

And I'm taking nothing from Dorsey. However, I'd be lying if I said 30+ reps wouldn't make me feel better.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Forget the record for reps, the greatest lifting performance in the history of the combine (and one that may stand forever) is adam archuleta who weighed 210 at most lifting 41 reps at 225. Think of that as a percentage of body weight. Meanwhile, it didnt help him cover anyone and didnt eliminate his whiffs trying to tackle.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Technique trumps bench presses any day of the week. I'm more interested in what the scouts saw than what his numbers were. Thanks for the post & link though, Bald!

:l

-jake-

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: The Official 2008 Pro Day Thread

Rotoworld's take...

Glenn Dorsey measured 6'2/297 and ran the forty-yard dash in 5.14 seconds at LSU's Pro Day on Wednesday.

His arms measured nearly 35 inches, considerably longer than any other ex-Tiger. He benched 225 a respectable 27 times and performed his 20-yard shuttle in 4.95. Dorsey's vertical was 25.5" and his broad jump 8.40'. Nothing here is overly impressive, but the numbers shouldn't damage his stock.
    I basically agree with the write-up. Nothing here blows me away, but nothing hurts him either. If Dorsey needed a phenomenal workout to rise back to the top of the Rams' draft board however, he'll have to depend on the position drills because these testing measurements won't do it. The real issue though will be how much if any medical testing he went through today, and what that shows.

EDIT: Adding Great Blue North's take...
    (3:00 PM): Top DT shows at LSU pro day… In many ways the biggest question at LSU’s pro day earlier today was would star DT Glenn Dorsey be able to workout. Dorsey did not participate in this year’s combine as he rehabbed from a nagging leg injury that has been slow to heal fully since originally injured in 2006. In fact, concerns about the injury had resulted in serious concerns about Dorsey’s viability as a top 5 prospect for the 200 draft. Dorsey, though, was able to participate fully in LSU’s on-campus workout today where he ran a respectable - albeit not necessarily great - 5.14 seconds in the 40, while posting decent numbers in the other drills. What should also help Dorsey’s overall draft grade is that while he’s not huge at 6-2, 297, he does have relatively long arms with a wingspan of almost 35 inches. In fact, it wasn’t exactly a speed fest at today’s LSU workout. WR Early Doucet, another former who did not run at the combine, was only able to run the 40 in the 4.55 range today, while his times in the quickness and agility drills were nothing special. Similarly, FS Craig Steltz, a third former LSU star who was kept out of the combine by injury, could only stop the clock in 4.63 seconds in the 40, although his times in both the short shuttle (4.19) and cone drill (7.10) were relatively quick. Meanwhile, OLB Ali Highsmith, who left scouts scratching their heads in Indianapolis when he barely broke the 5.0 second mark for the 40, rebounded today by stopping the clock in 4.74 seconds, although that’s still not overly fast for an undersized LB.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-26-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Just saw the feature on Sportscenter. Looked really quick with his hands and technique, I liked how cut his upper body was for a man his size. He has definitely not wasted any time in the months leading up to the draft. Todd McShay inputted that he would be a great fit for us, as well as Atlanta and Oakland.

I'm going to watch Path to the Draft at 6:30, let's see if Mike Mayock makes another absurd comment!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, the highest ranking Rams coach in attendance apparently was Jim Haslett. Scott Linehan attended Chris Long's workout.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So did Manu Manu the Slender but boy could he hit....

Hint to bison....that's a movie reference
    Indeed it was.

"Okay, Wally....send in your defense."

"NOT A G** D*** THING'S been working for us. Like this g**d*** suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this g**d***ed shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A G**D*** WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A G**D*** RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR F***ING HEADS OFF, AND YOU S**T DOWN THEIR NECKS!

Let us pray."
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I appreciate the position of many (including our own draftNick) that Dorsey would not be fully utilized by the Rams as he would occupy the same space as Carriker. I get it, and I agree it would cause a problem. But what a problem to have!

This guy, IMNSHO, is the most complete player in the draft. And if the injuries are indeed over-blown (I'm not saying they are or aren't), then he is the safest prospect as well. DT has a huge boom-or-bust ratio to it, but Dorsey may lean as far to the boom end of that spectrum as possible a month before the draft.

So, if we get him (and I'm not advocating it at this point), what would we do with him? Yea, I'm not sure either. Pay me Haslett's salary, and I'll work on it.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

27 Reps at 225 with 35'' arms is solid, IMO.

I'm still sketchy on Dorsey because of the injuries, but that bench number was fine with me.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

All from Rotoworld...

USC TE Fred Davis ran a disappointing forty at the Trojans' Pro Day Wednesday, timing in the 4.7s.
    NFL Network's Mike Mayock said Davis also struggled to finish his change-of-direction drills and did not appear fluid. Davis relied on his vertical skills during a breakout senior campaign, so the poor workout may send up a red flag. It was the first time Davis (knee) has worked out this offseason.
    NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports USC LB Keith Rivers ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Wednesday.
    Mayock said Rivers "almost hit the ceiling" of the USC weight room with his 42" vertical. Rivers will likely be limited to the weak side in an NFL 4-3, but should be an impact player regardless. He's a certain first-round pick.
    USC DT Sedrick Ellis ran a 5.01 forty at the Trojans' Pro Day, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.
    Ellis' forty at the NFL Combine was 5.24, so this is remarkable improvement. He's shed about 10 lbs since February and now is just under 300. Ellis added 36 reps of 225 on the bench press. He posted a 30" vertical jump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12