Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Official 2010 NFL Combine Thread

Catching Up with Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen
    Posted >Sat, February 27, 2010 04:00
    by Nick Wagoner

INDIANAPOLIS -

- Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen has plenty of people wondering how he fits in the NFL because of the prominent perception that he isn't a capable leader. He faced plenty of questions about that on Saturday and held up well to the scrutiny.

- Clausen also discussed his recovery from toe surgery and the ways that coming from Charlie Weis' pro style offense should help him adjust to the NFL.

(What kind of quarterback coach is Charlie Weis?)
    "He's a great quarterback coach, one of the best I've ever had. He's probably the smartest coach I've ever been around. Coach Weiss definitely knows what he's doing. He puts me in a great position to go out there and just play football and make plays."

(What is the update on your injury?)
    "I hurt it the third game of the season in the second quarter against Michigan State. I tore two ligaments in that game and I played the rest of the season taking painkillers for every single game. At the end of the season I got another MRI. From playing on the two torn tendons, my sesamoid bones in my toe retracted about one centimeter. So Dr. Mark Myerson out of Baltimore had to reattach the tendons and put two pins in there to hold those tendons and he also had to move those sesamoid bones back up.

(Which foot?)
    "It's my right big toe."

(Do you have any regrets playing through the season with that injury?)
    "All they told me was that it was turf toe. So I just had to gut it out for my team and went out there each and every game and tried to give it my best."

(How much do you think you've matured at Notre Dame and how do you respond to your critics?)
    "I've grown tremendously since I came into Notre Dame. I came in early as a senior. I came out early to Notre Dame, got in there in January, and tried to get a head start on my college career. There have been some ups and downs, a lot of lessons I've learned through that time. I overcame a lot of adversity during my past three years at Notre Dame. It's just been the greatest time of my life and I've learned some of the greatest experiences that I could. Just being away from my home and family in California has definitely changed me as a person."

(Do you think you're ready to lead an NFL team?)
    "I think I'm ready. That's one of the reasons why I went to Notre Dame; to best replicate what it was going to be like playing big-time football in the NFL as a rookie. There's obviously been history shown that a lot of quarterbacks that come into their rookie season in the NFL have struggled. I kind of went through that at Notre Dame. I struggled my first year, got a little better my second year and made a drastic change my junior year in college."

(What kind of feedback have you gotten about your injury?)
    "I went through that process yesterday and it took quite a bit of time. They said, 'It looks really good and it's healing.' They told me just to take my time and not push it too much."

(Are you on schedule to workout in South Bend, Ind. the first week of April?)
    "Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for and that's when the doctor said I'll be ready. My scheduled date is April 9 at Notre Dame, to have my pro day."

(Will you be able to fully workout at the point?)
    "Yes."

(How do you react to people who doubt your abilities to be a leader?)
    "You know, to be honest, some of the people that say those things just don't know me as a person. A lot of people don't really know me as a person. That's why I was so excited to come here, talk to all the coaches and the GM and owners - so they get a feel for me as a person. Being at Notre Dame, the quarterback and the head coach get all the credit when things go right and get a lot of blame when things go wrong. It's a tough situation being in a fishbowl at Notre Dame. Like I said, I was so excited to come out here and just to meet a bunch of the guys, I know a lot of the guys that are out here working out, just to meet those coaches and for them to get a feel for me as a person."

(Do you feel capable of being the No. 1 overall pick and is that a goal?)
    "If that's the team that wants to pick me. I just want to go somewhere where they want me as a person and a player, to go to that organization and help them win games. That's all I'm about. I'm about going there and trying to make my team better. Whether it's being on the practice squad, helping the defense, whether it's being the staring quarterback - that's a coach's decision. My goal is just to go in, whoever drafts me, go in there and learn the playbook as quick as I can and get out there and do everything I can to help the team win."

(How much does being in that fish bowl at Notre Dame prepare you for what’s ahead in the NFL?)
    That’s why I went to Notre Dome was because it could best replicate what it would be like as a NFL rookie in the National Football League. That progression went from freshman year to sophomore year to my junior year this past season what it’s going to be like and I just want to jump from whatever I was this year to wherever I am going to be and help my team win games.

(What are the inaccurate perceptions about you out there?)
    Some people say I am cocky, I am arrogant, I am not a good leader, I am not a good teammate. I think the people out there saying those things really don’t know me as a person. I am a humble kid. I love my teammates, have guys over to my house. During days off, I watch a lot of film with the receivers. During the offseason, have a bunch of my guys come back to work out with me and stay at my house with my family. Those are just some of the things I like to do. I am a fun kid and I have had to overcome adversity at notre Dame and it has made me a better person and a better player.

(Do you think you need to overcome those perceptions in the eyes of NFL decision makers?)
    I think they just want to see me up close and personal, get a feel for me as a person. I think that’s the biggest thing they want to see.

(Do you think that leadership issue will come up when you talk to teams or do you think they are cognizant of the perceptions that are out there?)
    I think they are cognizant of the perceptions out there and to be honest, I am just going in there and talking to them about some of the questions they have for me and just getting to know them and for them to get to know me as well.

(Do you think it’s unfair that the leadership issue is a question?)
    That comes with the territory of being the quarterback at Notre Dame. That’s just the way it is. Just going in to the meetings with the coaches and GM’s I like it. I like for them to get to know me as a person just one on one.

(You play general manager: Who do you take Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford?)
    You’d have to ask a general manager that question.

(What do you think you bring to the table as a quarterback?)
    I would say some of my strengths are taking care of the football, my accuracy, playing under center in a pro style offense under coach Weis for the past three years, my durability, playing when I’m hurt and bringing my team back in the fourth quarter. I think those are some of the things that are my biggest things.

(What about your weaknesses?)
    The biggest thing I want to do is become more of a gym rat in the film room. Being in college you only have a certain amount of hours to watch tape and go in there with your team and watch tape with them. You always hear guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are always in the film room watching tape. That’s what I want to do. It’s my profession now and that’s what I want to be. I want to be a gym rat in the film room and do everything I can to help the team win.

(How have you dealt with the outside perceptions?)
    I knew Notre Dame was really big but until I got there and had to deal with it a little bit it was a lot bigger than I thought. There was ups and downs like I thought but I have definitely learned from some of the mistakes I made and had to overcome adversity. I am a better person and player for that.

(What was your support system to help through that?)
    I talked to my family. My family is very supportive of me. Coach Weis was also a big influence. That’s the reason I went to Notre Dame. He’s a great guy. Not a lot of people really know him but he loves his family to death and loves his players to death and he treats me like his son Charlie Jr. He’s a family guy and that’s what I love about him.

(How much do you think your experience at Notre Dame will help you with a rebuilding team?)
    It’s definitely going to help me. Going through adversity, being 3-9 my first year at Notre Dame, going 6-6 or 7-6 the next year and just progressively getting better as a quarterback and as a team. We were really young my freshman season and we got better and I think we made drastic changes this last season.

(Do you think those misconceptions were misconceptions or did you change?)
    I think the misperceptions in a sense that people talked about my leadership skills and different things like that. But there have also been adverse times that I have had to overcome, different situations I have been through that I realized being in the fish bowl at Notre Dame and being the quarterback at Notre Dame, you have to act in a certain way and it has helped me. I’m going to become the face of the franchise somewhere and being at Notre Dame will definitely help me do that.

Catching Up with Texas QB Colt McCoy
    Posted >Sat, February 27, 2010 05:08
    by Nick Wagoner

INDIANAPOLIS -

- Texas QB Colt McCoy spent most of his college career as part of a holy trinity of signal callers alongside Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford. Both of those players are getting plenty of interest as the draft buildup begins but for some unknown reason, McCoy isn't getting much attention.

- McCoy is OK with that but it doesn't mean he believes he doesn't measure up even if he's a few inches shorter. He shared his thoughts on being shorter than the top quarterbacks, how his nerve injury is doing and where he stacks up in this draft.

(How is the shoulder doing?)
    Yeah, my shoulder is doing great. I’m way ahead of schedule. It’s unfortunate I’m not going to throw here, I’m bummed out, I would love to get out there and compete, I’d love to get out there and throw. But I sat down with Dr. Andrews and the physical therapist and it was in my best interests to just wait to my Pro Day to throw. Not that I can’t get out there and throw, but we don’t want to do anything that’s going to set it back. But it’s healing up great, I’m throwing every day. I’m on a strict routine, but I’m confident that everything is going well and I’ll be 100 percent ready to go in a couple weeks.

(When is your pro day?
    March 31, in Austin

(What was the injury exactly?)
    I just had a nerve injury in my deltoid. It’s not even actually my shoulder. And just weird injury. Hard to describe, hard to explain. Only thing I can say is, there was no pain, there was never pain involved in the whole injury, the whole situation. It was just completely dead. My arm was dead, my fingers were dead, I couldn’t grip anything, really couldn’t throw anything at all to raise up my arm. During the game was tough. Couple days later, regained all my feeling in my fingers and in my arm. Just been battling the weakness part of it ever since.

(Is the arm getting stronger?)
    It’s a lot stronger. In the weight room, in the activities that I do, I can’t tell a difference. My arm is coming along great, it’s healed great, so I’m very excited about that.

(Was that the hardest hit you’ve taken?
    I’ve taken a lot of hits in my career in the last four years, I’ve been hit a lot harder than that. It seemed (Marcel Dareus) just caught me the right way and I was very disappointed. You gotta take a positive out of every situation and there’s nothing structurally wrong with my shoulder. It’s going to be completely
    healed up, completely fine. It’s not something that’s more likely to happen now than any other injury. Everything’s fine.

(What’d you measure in at?)
    6-1 and a quarter. 217. I’d like to say I was 6-4, but this is what God gave me.

(What kind of lifting can you do now?)
    It’s a lot of shoulder rehab. Work with my physical therapist every day, getting sick of it at this point. I work hard. The last four years, I’ve had to physically get my body ready to go each game, so I’m not going to get away from that by any means. But I’m doing everything I can.

(You are often compared to Drew Brees, do you embrace that?)
    That’s great. Drew’s a tremendous quarterback, one of the best in the league. If my name’s mentioned in the same sentence as his, that’s an honor to me.

(Why are compared to Brees in your opinion?)
    Well, I think they compare us because we’re not the typical 6-4 guys standing back there at quarterback, but I work very hard, I’m determined, I have a lot of intangibles that I can’t measure. But I’m excited about this process and my shoulder’s going to be completely fine.

(You talk to Vince Young much?)
    I’ve talked to Vince a lot. He’s always there for support, always there for any questions I have through this whole process. He’s awesome. He had a tremendous year this year, once he came in. I was definitely pulling for him. The next year, it’s crazy to think we might be playing against each other.

(Do you think it’s worse to have the injury when you did or at the beginning of the year like Bradford?
    I think getting hurt period is…. As the quarterback, you can’t think about that at all. As a football player, you’re going to get hit, it’s a physical sport. You can’t think about that at all. When it happens, it’s one of those things that’s not that fun. I talked to Sam a lot through this process, Shoulder injury, I know he was extremely bummed out about what happened, obviously. For me, it was tough. You work for something you’re whole career; you dedicate yourself for four years to reach a certain point. There’s no hire place that you can get to than playing in the National Championship in the Rose Bowl your
    senior year… and five plays into it, it’s taken away. So you can imagine how tough it was.

(You competed with Sam Bradford all through college for stuff but aren’t now. Why is that?)
    Sam and I are great friends. We’re pulling for each other in this whole deal. We talked about our shoulders, we’ve talked about our rehab, and the process and how it’s
    not that fun. But at the same time, he’s a guy I’ll be playing with in the NFL for the next 10 years. Definitely pulling for him, I know he’s pulling for me, you just gotta compete through this whole process. I’m excited about my pro day. Ready to go out there and show my shoulder’s fine. I can make every throw and I’ll be 100 percent ready to go.

(Why do you think you are not in the conversation for the top pick with Bradford and Clausen?)
    I set huge expectations for myself. I definitely see myself up there. For me, I’m not worried about what people say, what people think about me. I did my absolute best in college. I played for four years, I started 53 games in a row and so I don’t know what more anybody can ask of me. My height’s a knock. It is. 6-1 and a quarter. That’s what God gave me. I’m going to use it the best I can.

(How many teams have you met with?)
    I can’t even tell you. They walk you around everywhere.

(Shoulder nerve injury)
    "It was tough because you work for something your whole career , you dedicate yourself for four years to reach a certain point and there's no higher place you can get to than playing in the national championship in the Rose Bowl your senior year. And five plays into it, it's taken away. You can imagine how tough it was.

(how hard is it now to be compared to Sam Bradford)
    "Sam and I are great friends. We're pulling for each other in this whole deal. We've talked about our shoulders. We've talked about our rehab and the process and how it's not that much fun. But at the same time, he's a guy I'll be playing in the NFL with for the next 10 years. So I'm definitely pulling for him. I know he's pulling for me. So you just have to compete through this whole process. I'm excited about my pro day (March 31 Austin). I'm ready to go out and show that my shoulder is fine and I can make every throw.
    And I'll be 100% ready to go.

(Why aren't you up there in the conversation for 1st pick with Bradford and Clausen)
    I've set huge expectations for myself. I definitely see myself up there. For me, I'm not worried about what people say and about what people think about me. I did my absolute best in college. I played for four years. I started 53 games in a row. So I don't
    know what more anybody can ask from me. My height's a knock. It is. 6-11/4. This is what God gave me. I'm going to use it the best I can.

(You were the winningest QB in college football?)
    Absolutely. I feel one of my greatest strengths is being a winner, finding a way to win.
    We won more games in college than anybody else.

(What people look for in a QB is leadership skills, as far as your skills?)
    "Leadership is a tough word. It's hard to talk about. A lot of guys can say things about it, but can't back it up. I was fortunate enough, God gave me the ability and opportunity to play for four years at the U. of Texas which was a dream for me. I learned a lot of lessons on leadership through those four years. My freshman year, I stood in the huddle with five guys who had just won the national championship and just played with Vince Young. You can imagine what that's like in spring ball trying to call a play in front of them.
    And they're like, I'm not listening to you, dude. You're a freshman.' Overcoming that and where I am today, a lot of leadership lessons learned and a lot of lessons that will carry on into the NFL.

(The lesson of the BCS championship game?)
    "That'll stick with me for a long time. The memory of not being able to compete, not being able to play. Not being able to lead your team in the national championship. You've got to find a positive. Move on from it. Continue to fight. For me, it made me step back and realize, 'Hey, how hard are you working? Do you want to play this game anymore? That's fueled me. I can't wait to get back on the field. I'm working my tail off to get my shoulder back. And that's a positive I took for that. My best football is ahead of me and I'm going to work for that.

(What is a team getting in you?)
    I'm a hard worker, I'm the first one to get there the last one to leave, you can ask my teammates, my coaches. I'm committed to winning, finding a way to win, whatever it takes. One of my greatest strengths is, when it's uncomfortable in the pocket, when you have to make a play and sling the ball, throw it around, when you're just in shorts and t-shirts and look pretty. When it's uncomfortable, when we have to make a play, I feel like that's one of my greatest strengths.

(If you're Rams GM Billy Devaney and you're good friends with Sam Bradford and seeing how good Ndamukong Suh is who would you take first overall)
    I've played against both guys. I've also played against Gerald McCoy. I've played against a lot of guys who are here. I have a meeting with the Rams today. If they'r asking a question, I'll give them an answer.

(Hindrance of the shotgun)
    If you go back and look at my freshman and sophomore years, we were about 30% under center so it's not foreign to me at all. I realize that's something I really need to work on because the last two years we didn't spend that much time underneath center. We probably were three, four, five times a game underneath. We ran some play action out of it, but that's about it. We played to our personnel, we played with what we had and we won a lot of games. But playing underneath the center is not foreign to me. The good thing with my shoulder after the game for about three weeks I wasn't able to throw, so I committed myself to working on my feet, working on my drops, my play-action drops. My feet are going to be perfectly fine.

(Competition with you and Sam Bradford)
    You have to compete if you want to play this game. There's great players going through this process as rookies. There's great players in the NFL they've all done it. We're all going to compete with each other, but we're all pulling for each other at the same time.
    I know some people think the idea of Texas and OU guys getting along is pretty strange, but it is what it is.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I saw a great mock interview on NFL.com where Steve Mariucci and Jim Mora jnr sat down with Cincinnati QB Tony Pike.

What i saw is that the interview process is pretty thorough. Pike was asked where he ranks football in the grand scheme of things, and he answered third, behind faith and family. Mariucci went up on the board and drew his favourite play. Then they asked a few more questions, stuff like whether Pike ever had any problems at school or in his personal life, which he answered no. Mora said if you have anything that we are going to find out about, now is the time to reveal it, but Pike still said he had nothing (which isnt surprising). They also asked what QB Pike basis his game around. He said three. Roethlisberger for the way he moves in the pocket, Flacco because he is a shotgun guy who never lets his emotions overwhelm him on the field, and during the week Peyton Manning for the way he is always prepared for an upcoming game.

Then Mariucci got Pike up on the board to draw Pike's favourite play for a 3rd and middle/long situation. After that Mariucci got Pike to draw the favourite play that Mariucci put up earlier, to remember as much about it as possible, and i thought Pike did a pretty good job.

Overall Pike seemed like a smart QB. He also seems like one of those quiet leader types, similar to someone like Bulger

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I saw a great mock interview on NFL.com where Steve Mariucci and Jim Mora jnr sat down with Cincinnati QB Tony Pike.

What i saw is that the interview process is pretty thorough. Pike was asked where he ranks football in the grand scheme of things, and he answered third, behind faith and family. Mariucci went up on the board and drew his favourite play. Then they asked a few more questions, stuff like whether Pike ever had any problems at school or in his personal life, which he answered no. Mora said if you have anything that we are going to find out about, now is the time to reveal it, but Pike still said he had nothing (which isnt surprising). They also asked what QB Pike basis his game around. He said three. Roethlisberger for the way he moves in the pocket, Flacco because he is a shotgun guy who never lets his emotions overwhelm him on the field, and during the week Peyton Manning for the way he is always prepared for an upcoming game.

Then Mariucci got Pike up on the board to draw Pike's favourite play for a 3rd and middle/long situation. After that Mariucci got Pike to draw the favourite play that Mariucci put up earlier, to remember as much about it as possible, and i thought Pike did a pretty good job.

Overall Pike seemed like a smart QB. He also seems like one of those quiet leader types, similar to someone like Bulger
    Yea, I saw that and it was somewhat funny. Pike seems like a good kid.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

NICK? Just want to thank you for these updates, very good job. Hopefully one of these days ALL OF US can hang out at the Super Bowl and laugh about these last 4-5 years. We'll pick a restaurant and talk about the decisions the Rams made to get them to the Super Bowl !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    NICK? Just want to thank you for these updates, very good job. Hopefully one of these days ALL OF US can hang out at the Super Bowl and laugh about these last 4-5 years. We'll pick a restaurant and talk about the decisions the Rams made to get them to the Super Bowl !!!!
    No problem, I'm glad we're able to provide a centralized place for people to find good combine news!

Some more combine updates, from Rotoworld...

Syracuse WR Mike Williams was timed at 4.49 in the forty-yard dash Sunday at the Scouting Combine.
    At 6'2" and 221 pounds, a sub-4.5 is very good for Williams. One of the draft's most talented receivers, Williams projects as a middle-round pick only because of off-field issues. Those aside, he'd likely have a first-round grade.
    Fordham QB John Skelton recorded a 4.85 forty-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine Sunday.
    He also had a 33.5-inch vertical. Skelton is an above average athlete, but won't be able to make defenders miss as he frequently did in the non-scholarship D-IAA ranks. His awesome arm strength remains his biggest asset.
    Texas QB Colt McCoy officially ran a 4.79 forty-yard dash at the Combine on Sunday.
    Quarterbacks rarely run forty yards in real games, but McCoy's time is slower than anticipated. He was a positive-yardage running threat in college. McCoy, who goes just 6-foot-1, also posted a nine-foot, six-inch broad jump.
    Central Michigan QB Dan LeFevour, officially, ran a 4.66 forty-yard dash at the Scouting Combine Sunday.
    He also had a nine-foot, two-inch broad jump. LeFevour, who has drawn lots of criticism for skipping passing drills at the Combine, is not an explosive athlete. His forty time is good, but he won't be a dual threat in the pros.
    West Virginia QB Jarrett Brown ran a 4.54 forty-yard dash at the Scouting Combine on Sunday.
    He also had a 34.5-inch vertical and a nine-foot, six-inch broad jump. Unlike most of the 2010 quarterback field, Brown has the potential to be an effective scrambler in the NFL. He will likely be "redshirted" for his first year.
    Texas WR Jordan Shipley ran unofficial forty times of 4.57 and 4.60 at the Combine on Sunday.
    The times won't help Shipley, who might've benefited a tick from cutting his 'fro before the Combine. He didn't. Shipley isn't going to be viewed as a future starter in the league. The 24-year-old is ticketed for the slot.
    Florida ILB Brandon Spikes plans to skip the forty-yard dash at the Combine.
    He can forget about being drafted in the first round, then. Spikes is a big-time hitter with play-making cover skills, but his straight-line speed has long been a concern. It appears he wants to wait for the Gators' Pro Day.
    Notre Dame WR Golden Tate officially ran a 4.42 forty-yard dash at the Combine on Sunday. Unofficially, he was timed as fast as 4.36.
    Tate, who NFL Network's Mike Mayock considers the draft's best run-after-catch receiver, also had a 10-foot broad jump. The forty time is excellent for Tate, who we saw get caught from behind on more than one occasion last season. Tate can get vertical, though, and his timing confirms it. He's making a very strong case to be drafted in the first round.
    Florida QB Tim Tebow posted a 38.5-inch vertical jump on Sunday at the Combine. He also ran an official 4.72 forty.
    Tebow's jump ties Josh McCown for the best ever vertical posted by a quarterback at the Combine, and the 38.5 inches is a half inch higher than Michael Vick's 2001 leap. Tebow is clearly in great shape, but it's too bad he's not jumping much while playing QB. Unless, of course, you count his famed "jump pass." His revamped throwing technique is what teams really want to see.
    Illinois WR Arrelious Benn ran an unofficial 4.48 forty on Sunday.
    Benn measured in at 6'1/219 on Friday and put up 20 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press on Saturday. There have been questions about his long speed, but a 4.48 time really helps his stock. Benn clearly has been working very hard over the past two months.
    Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard ran an unofficial 4.52 forty on Sunday.
    Gilyard is more quick than he is fast. He did show up to the Combine with some added on weight so that may have contributed to a higher forty time than many expected. Gilyard's stock is still high after an impressive Senior Bowl performance.
    Clemson WR Jacoby Ford ran an unofficial 4.22 forty at the Combine on Sunday.
    Ford came into the Combine guaranteeing a 4.2 and said he would break Chris Johnson's record of 4.24. He was one of the top risers at the Senior Bowl and this blazing forty time should help his stock.
    Kansas WR Dezmon Briscoe ran an unofficial 4.66 forty on Sunday.
    Not very encouraging. Briscoe also only managed to put up nine reps of 225 pounds on the bench press yesterday and has looked slow out of his breaks on Sunday. It hasn't been a great Combine for him, and he clearly wasn't prepared for Indy.
    Oklahoma State LT Russell Okung suffered a groin injury during a drill and can't finish the Combine.
    A Combine official describes the injury as "minor," but it's enough to keep him from participating in the vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle, and three-cone drill. Okung did have a nice Combine, though, putting up the second-most 225 bench press reps with 38 while running a solid 5.17 forty. He could go as high as No. 2 overall to Detroit in April.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I just decided that no matter what happens in the draft, if we find Mr. Toby Gerhart at any point in the draft as our selection, I will be happy.

He just disproved my last fear (size means lack of speed). He just busted out a 4.53 on the 40 and he is built like a freaking brick chimney. 230lbs of lean nasty. He looks like an ideal #2 for the moment who could become a solid #1 in 3-4 years when Jackson is hitting that 30 year wall.

Combine Dish: Campbell wows scouts with speed, athleticism
    Feb. 27, 2010 Print it
    By Russ Lande

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Offensive linemen and tight ends took center stage on Saturday with the workout phase of their Combine performance. Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts evaluate how the workouts and weigh-ins affected the draft status of prospects.

•Maryland OT Bruce Campbell has been the early star of the Combine. Not only was he impressive at the weigh-in Friday, but he stunned scouts with his athleticism Saturday. He had a blazing 40 time of 4.85 and looked like an elite athlete in the position drills. Campbell showed flashes of such athleticism at Maryland, but he had only 16 college starts and must prove he can be consistent with his technique and production.

•Oklahoma OT Trent Williams came into the Combine as one of the top-rated tackles. He showed elite quickness in the kick-slide drills and ran a 4.88 40, putting to rest any notion that he isn't athletic enough to play left tackle in the NFL.

•Rutgers OT Anthony Davis showed natural athleticism and flexibility. He flashed the ability to bend his knees and sink his hips very easily to slide out on the kick-out drill. He demonstrated that he clearly has the athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL and solidified himself as a first-round pick.

•Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga was decent Saturday, but to us he still looks more like a guard than a tackle. He appeared a bit stocky with short arms.

•USC's Charles Brown showed good flexibility and quickness in the mirror drill, sliding from side to side much better than we anticipated.

•Though some scouts still list Indiana's Rodger Saffold at guard, he was very impressive at left tackle in the all-star games and continued to improve his stock Saturday, showing great quickness and agility in position drills.

•Hillsdale OT Edwin Veldheer had a great day, running the third-fastest 40 among the offensive linemen (5.09) and posting scores near the top of virtually every other category. However, teams need to remember that he struggled with his consistency at the Texas vs. The Nation game and wasn't always impressive in game film. Because of his raw athleticism, he will be drafted much higher than his on-field play warrants.

•Iowa G Dace Richardson looked slow in all the drills and ran a 40 in the 5.80 range. At this point, he will be lucky to be drafted.

•Abilene Christian OT Tony Washington looks the part and was very quick and athletic in all the drills. He showed excellent knee bend while sliding in the kick-out drill.

•Pitt TE Dorin Dickerson ran an unofficial 4.40 40 and had a 43-inch vertical, which will likely boost his draft stock. However, after evaluating him on film, we believe he is more of a straight-line athlete who does not show the fluidity in his hips to consistently gain separation from NFL linebackers.

•Missouri State TE Clay Harbor helped himself Saturday with an unofficial 4.68 40 along with 30 reps in the 225-pound bench press. He also showed a good burst off his first step in drills. He may have moved into third-round consideration.

•Before a knee injury put him out for the season, Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham was billed by some as the top tight end prospect. He ran a respectable 4.76 40 on Saturday, which is about what we expected from him. Though Gresham is certainly a good athlete, he didn't do anything in drills to clearly separate himself from the other tight ends.

•Oregon TE Ed Dickson ran a 4.73 40 and looked fluid and natural during receiving drills. He also was impressive catching the ball, showing soft, natural hands. Dickson demonstrated the same burst off the line that we saw in his game film.

•Miami TE Jimmy Graham definitely helped himself by running an unofficial 4.57 40 and posting a 38-inch vertical. A former basketball player at Miami, he continues to intrigue scouts with his size, raw athleticism and untapped potential. Considering the success of former hoops standouts Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez at tight end, Graham's big day could boost him into second-round consideration.

•Not known as a blazer, Iowa TE Tony Moeaki ran a very respectable 4.69 40.

•Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung, the top-rated tackle prospect, ran a solid 5.17 in the 40 and showed off his athleticism in position drills until tweaking his groin. The injury does not appear to be serious and will not do anything to hurt his draft value.

•Arkansas G Mitch Petrus pulled a hamstring while running his 40, and Florida TE Aaron Hernandez did not run a 40 after straining his back.

•Though LSU WR/KR Trindon Holliday displayed lightning-fast track speed with a 4.34 40, he actually wasn't as fast as he predicted.

•Alabama DT Terrence Cody took a step in the right direction by weighing 354, 16 pounds lighter than his weight at the Senior Bowl. To further improve his stock, he must convince teams in interviews that he will continue to drop weight and show better speed and quickness in his on-field workout than he did during his college career.

•Today is Cincinnati QB Tony Pike's big day, as he gets his chance to shine as a passer in front of NFL personnel. With the likes of Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy not throwing for various reasons, all eyes will be on Pike. On film, he flashed the ability to make every NFL throw, but he will need to prove he can be consistent with his accuracy and technique.

•DE Derrick Morgan weighed in at 266, lighter than he was listed at Georgia Tech. But on film, he has demonstrated excellent natural strength and leverage at the point of attack and should shine in athletic drills during his workout on Monday.

•Jermaine Cunningham was an undersized but extremely productive defensive end at Florida, and he continually outshined his more athletically gifted teammate Carlos Dunlap on film. Though many believe Cunningham needs to play outside linebacker for a 3-4 team, his weight Saturday (266 pounds) was encouraging to teams that use a 4-3 defense--especially if he shows the same athleticism at the higher weight.

Snead enjoys strong throwing session
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 28, 2010 3:23 PM ET

The NFL allows a group of journalists in to the NFL Scouting Combine each year on Sunday to watch a set of quarterbacks and wide receivers run through there drills.

Since they have loose rules on what qualifies as a journalist, I went in to watch the second group of quarterbacks Sunday. I'll have some thoughts on the general atmosphere inside the antiseptic stadium later, but I'll pass along what I saw in the meantime.

Cincinnati's Tony Pike was the highest regarded quarterback in the group, but had an up-and-down day. He threw well between the hash marks early, but struggled quite a bit on any vertical throws late in the session.

Ole Miss' Jevan Snead appeared to have the strongest day of the group by consensus. He was accurate on every level, and had some nice throws deep. West Virginia's Jarrett Brown got the best reviews by far among a weak morning quarterback group.

We'll be back with some thoughts on the wide receivers in a bit.

D-linemen bring power, intensity to bench press
    Posted: February 28th, 2010
    Frank Tadych

INDIANAPOLIS — The defensive linemen might have just completed the most entertaining two hours of bench pressing at the NFL Scouting Combine. Sunday’s bench-a-thon was pretty amped as the prospects became competitive.

The high man for the day was Georgia DT Jeff Owens, who worked the rest of the prospects into a frenzy as he did 44 repetitions. Mammoth East Carolina DT Linval Joseph was next with 39 reps, followed by Georgia DT Geno Atkins and UCLA DT Brian Price with 34 each.

As much as the prospects were cheering for each other, the second session was energized when Jets coach Rex Ryan and Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan briefly got into the action. The latter Ryan, with his long gray locks, looks very much like The Dude these days. I’m a Ryan, you’re a Ryan.

The highest-rated prospects represented well Sunday. Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh put up 32 reps, doing nothing to hurt his stock and besting Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy (26). Other notables included Ohio State DE Thaddeus Gibson (32), Michigan DE/OLB Brandon Graham (31) and USC DE Everson Griffen (32).

Overall, 50 of the 66 linemen lifted, and 13 players did 30 reps or more.

Stanford DE Erik Lorig strained his right pectoral during his lift and had to stop. Alabama NT Terrence Cody and George Tech DE Derrick Morgan were among those who didn’t lift.

McCoy sends out a warning to Bradford
    Jason Feller

INDIANAPOLIS — Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy issued a foreboding message to former Sooners teammate QB Sam Bradford if he plays against him in an NFL game: “I’ll kill Sam.”

McCoy had earlier made clear how close a friend Bradford is, and that the two have known each other since they were kids, but he left no doubt that he is yearning for the chance to take down Bradford.

“A lineman’s dream is a clean move and a clear path to the quarterback. At practice that happened a lot. But I go to Sam, and they blow the whistle,” said a crestfallen McCoy. “Oh, I’m going to kill him.”

Nearly every reporter erupted in laughter. With McCoy being one of the last players to speak before the media center closes down for good Sunday evening, many members of the press had already left. The ones in attendance were treated to perhaps the most entertaining interview session of the week.

Not only did McCoy reveal his eagerness to go after Bradford, but he elicited guffaws throughout the exchange, including when he let loose a big grin and bragged about how awesome a smile he possesses.

Perhaps the best moment came when McCoy explained the moment he first realized he was a gifted football player at the age of 11.

“One time in little league I tackled three people,” McCoy proudly shared. “They ran, and I came through. And the quarterback didn’t know who to give it to, so I just grabbed everybody,” McCoy said as he mimicked the tackle.

Butler leads way for linebackers in bench
    Frank Tadych

INDIANAPOLIS — The linebackers took part in the final workouts of the day Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium, with three standouts leading the way during bench press drills.

Washington ILB Donald Butler hoisted an impressive 35 repetitions, matching the level of the top defensive linemen from earlier in the day. Missouri OLB Sean Weatherspoon wasn’t far behind with 34 reps, followed by Kentucky ILB Micah Johnson (31).

Two other ‘backers considered likely first-round picks were Penn State’s Navorro Bowman (26) and Alabama’s Rolando McClain (24).

You can track all of the combine’s best performances, in all of the categories, here.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

weatherspoon needs to stop showing out so he can fall to us at 33.....

if he runs what i thin he is going to run (4.5) its a done deal..

Combine thoughts from Daniel Jeremiah (Move the Sticks scout) via Twitter...

MoveTheSticks McCluster might have ran himself out of the 2nd
    round and into the third... 172 lbs and high 4.5s in the 40 scares some teams
    20 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks Tate ran much better than most anticipated but
    he was up/down catching the ball during the workout. 3 drops in gauntlet, 1 double catch
    19 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks I think Gerhart landed a spot in the 2nd round
    with the 4.53 he ran today... Moved around smooth on the field too
    18 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks 3 SEC playmakers ran slow today: McCluster,
    Lafell and Hodge were all supposed to be faster than they performed today
    13 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks RT @CF4L: how did Briscoe look?>> bad day at
    the office... ran poorly
    11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks Lafell and Gilyard both ran slower than expected
    but had solid workouts running routes and catching the ball
    11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks I was disappointed in Tony Pike's throwing
    today... He throws a very loose ball. Not much velocity either
    7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks I said it yesterday, Ryan Matthews will end up in
    the 1st round... He ran really well and had a solid workout.
    6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks McCluster did have a good positional workout. He
    is a classic quicker than fast type... I still like him but high 2nd rd might be too rich
    5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks Some people were killing Lefevour for not
    throwing b/c he would've been the star of the show. QB group very average at best
    3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks RT @sgw94: Question, what are you hearing
    about georgia d tackle Geno Atkins?> good upside, tape is average..has inside pass rush potential
    half a minute ago via TweetDeck

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I still love Mccluster and am not worried about a 40 time (which can be greatly skewed by anything from swerving to rolling out a stance). I hope he falls to teh top fo the fourth so we don't have to use a third rounder on him.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast