Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Re: The Official 2010 Senior Bowl Thread

Yeah Weatherspoon is a bit of a jaw-jacker but its all in good fun. Actually met the guy before and he's pretty cool, also very good physique and size. The guy is a hitter and can make plays. Looking forward to seeing more of him in practices. He's just one of those rowdy college guys but he's not a team distraction type player like a TO by a long shot.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Terrence Cody at weigh-ins...

Yikes!

Iupati shines with power and tenacity
    By Todd McShay, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl
    Scouts Inc.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. -- Day 2 of Senior Bowl week saw the action pick up with the players in full pads and the intensity level rising.

Here's a look at those players from the North squad who impressed on Tuesday morning and those who had disappointing showings:

North Team: Good Days

Illinois TE Mike Hoomanawanui -- He is not an elite tight end prospect and he lacks explosiveness out of his cuts, but Hoomanawanui is showing the tools to quickly develop into a solid No. 2 tight end at the next level. He is a crisp, physical route-runner who does not get pushed around and catches the ball well in traffic. We'd like to see a more violent punch as a run-blocker but he showed good leg drive on Day 2 and is by far the best inline blocker among the North tight ends. Hoomanawanui also showed some versatility by lining up at fullback and could develop into a good lead blocker. He exploded into and sealed off Iowa OLB A.J. Edds at one point during the team run period.

Idaho OL Mike Iupati -- There is not a weakness in Iupati's game when he's lined up at guard. His quick first step, lateral quickness, and long arms make him a dominant force inside, and he is a nasty finisher who is not satisfied until defenders are on their backs. And while he struggled a bit when moved to left tackle during practice, Iupati is stepping up against the higher level of competition and based on what we've seen we have no problem giving him a late-first round grade as a guard. In fact, he's the best guard prospect we've seen in the last two drafts.

Virginia CB Chris Cook -- We were impressed with Cook's overall fluidity. He moves better than we expected for a big corner. Cook opens his hips well when forced to turn and run and should be right at home as a press corner in the NFL, much like former Utah and current Miami Dolphins CB Sean Smith. It's rare to find a bigger corner with Cook's ability to move well in space and attack the ball when it's in the air.

North Team: Bad Days

Missouri WR Danario Alexander -- Alexander looked a bit stiff even considering his size, and we have concerns about his lack of separation skills. He looked heavy-footed on Day 2 and was slow getting off the line against press coverage, and he struggled to transition out of his breaks because he has to gear down and drop his weight so much. He also showed inconsistent hands, dropping balls and lacking the body control to make catches outside his frame.

Fresno State RB Lonyae Miller Miller weighs 220 pounds but is trying to run like scatback. He has to do a better job turning his shoulders upfield and getting downhill. He did a better job as the day went along stabbing linebackers with a strong punch during pass protection drills, but he didn't anchor as well as we'd like from a back his size. Making matters worse, Miller was chastised by the coaches for lack of effort during punt coverage drills.

The Notre Dame offensive linemen -- Irish G Eric Olsen looked stiff and showed slow feet. He did not play with leverage and was driven back into the quarterback several times. Purdue DT Mike Neal owned Olsen all morning long. As for Notre Dame OT Sam Young, he is tall and has a big frame but is also somewhat stiff and struggled to play low and anchor against bull-rushers. Young also failed to get good push in the running game. Because of his frame Young could be drafted in the fourth or fifth round, and Olsen could come off the board late, but neither has much in the way of developmental qualities.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.

Day 2 updates from the Senior Bowl
    Scouts Inc.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Practice is getting under way for the North team on Day 2 of Senior Bowl week, and there are plenty of storylines to follow. Now that the players are in full pads, the intensity is ratcheting up and there is more on the line.

The struggles of Florida QB Tim Tebow were the biggest news of Day 1, but there are other players to watch on Day 2. The North team is up first, and we're interested to see how Oregon TE Ed Dickson responds after fighting the ball on the first day and whether the North offensive linemen can carry over the momentum they gained.

South team
    • Practice has wrapped on Day 2, and we have a lot to digest. Be sure to check back throughout the week for our full reports on each day's practices, and for full scouting breakdowns and practice reports on six big-name players taking part in the festivities here in Mobile.

• South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood showed in college that he can block punts, and he just got another one here during the special teams period.

• Georgia DT Geno Atkins is showing good quickness today and looks like a solid fit as a 3-technique in the NFL. At one point, Atkins abused Alabama G Mike Johnson with a quick first step and good hand use.

• Florida WR Riley Cooper is having a solid day, making a spectacular one-handed catch over South Florida's Jerome Murphy.

• West Virginia's Selvish Capers has been the best offensive lineman on the South team during Day 2. He is showing good mobility, is getting to the second level well and would be a good fit for a zone-blocking team. Capers stopped Georgia DL Jeff Owens cold twice during drills.

• LSU RB Charles Scott has been relentless as a blocker during nine-on-seven drills. Scott also showed great focus during seven-on-sevens by catching a pass that bounced off the hands of South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood.

• Alabama RB Roy Upchurch made a nice catch on a wheel route and ran with good balance during nine-on-seven drills.

• Drills have not been kind to USC S Taylor Mays, who needs to show this week that he can hold up in coverage. He looks stiff and is having trouble opening his hips out of his backpedal during one-on-ones.

• Ole Miss RB/WR Dexter McCluster has been quick in his routes during one-on-one drills, catching the ball well and making a nice diving grab on a deep ball from Tim Tebow.

• South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood tried to jam Auburn RB Ben Tate early in his route but whiffed and could not recover. Tate tracked the ball well despite looking back into the sun and made the catch down the seam.

•Texas MLB Rod Muckelroy moved well laterally and exploded up into the hole during bag work early but looked stiff during one-on-one coverage drills.

• A pair of defensive backs are looking good early. Both Oklahoma State CB Perrish Cox and South Florida S Nate Allen have been very fluid changing directions so far in drills.

• Depth in his drops and inconsistent accuracy still are problems for Tim Tebow as today's practice gets under way. He also appears to be pushing the ball rather than snapping it out of his hand.

• As the South team gets loose for practice, we're wondering how Florida State S Myron Rolle will respond after his body lagged behind his mind on Day 1. The rust was showing for Rolle, who spent the past year studying at Oxford. And the big buzz here in Mobile is that Tim Tebow has come down with strep throat, although he has said he will continue practicing.

West Virginia QB Jarrett Brown also will be under the microscope after struggling with his drops and footwork on Day 1, and we'll be watching where Ole Miss WR/RB Dexter McCluster lines up as he tries to find a role in the NFL.

Finally, Alabama NT Terrence Cody has to show the endurance to be effective for the entire practice. He looked pretty bad while weighing in at 370 pounds, and there are enough concerns about his weight and discipline that his stock could start taking a big hit.

North team
    • Michigan DE Brandon Graham already has emerged as the leader of the North defense. Graham is quick with good upper-body strength and technique. He never stops working, either. His motor is just ridiculous.

• UMass OL Vladimir Ducasse is talented but is being exposed a bit on the first day in pads. His lack of technique and playing experience is showing today.

• Idaho's Mike Iupati is clearly the best offensive lineman on the North roster. He is quick, powerful, balanced and nasty. He struggled when moved to tackle and might fit best at guard in the NFL, but he is good enough to consider late in the first round.

• Cincinnati QB Tony Pike was very efficient during the seven-on-seven period, throwing with good rhythm and making solid decisions. He found Dickson on a post route after looking off Nebraska S Larry Asante in the middle of the field.

• Iowa LB A.J. Edds did a good job of jamming and rerouting Wisconsin TE Garrett Graham during seven-on-sevens but stumbled when forced to turn and run, so we're a little concerned about his man cover skills.

• Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard is having a strong overall day. He's running good routes and making a lot of plays during seven-on-seven drills after showing off his quick hands and feet early in practice.

• Missouri OLB Sean Weatherspoon and Wayne State (Mich.) RB Joique Bell battled during pass-rush drills. Weatherspoon dominated with power early but Bell did not back down, a good sign for the small-school prospect.

• Pass-rush drills were a good showcase for Virginia FB Rashawn Jackson, who played with an edge, anchored well and reset his feet well.

• Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard is showing quick feet and hands early in practice, doing a nice job getting off press coverage at the line. He beat California CB Syd'Quan Thompson over the top just now after beating the jam.

• Illinois TE Mike Hoomanawanui is not an explosive player but was crisp during cone work and is showing good leg drive during blocking drills. He impressed us Monday and is on a roll again today.

• Virginia CB Chris Cook is a rangy player with good size, and he is doing a nice job tracking the deep ball in drills.

• Missouri WR Danario Alexander looks stiff early on, struggling to get a clean release against press coverage in opening drills. He was very productive in college but will have to get off the jam better to succeed in the NFL.

• The weather is once again beautiful here in Mobile, and the players have an extra hop in their step now that the pads are on and the contact is coming. There is more energy and urgency on the field, and it looks like we're in for a good day.

I finished watching NFL Network's coverage of the North team practice a little bit ago, and while they obviously don't show as much as you'd like, I came away with a couple of impressions...

-Washington's Donald Butler looked very good in one on one pass rush drills against running backs. I'm not sure I saw him get held up once. He had 15.5 tackles for loss in 2009, so he knows how to get into the backfield. I thought Sean Weatherspoon was impressive going up against the RBs as well.

-Didn't see much of the quarterbacks from today, but of the little bit I saw, I thought LeFevour had the edge over Pike and Canfield. Though again, this is based on very little screen time for the QBs. But it seemd like LeFevour had more arm strength than I expected from him.

-Arkansas State DL Alex Carrington made some nice moves off the edge in pass rushing drills, getting by a couple of different guys. He showed more explosion and quickness than I would have expected from reading his scouting reports.

-Vladimir Ducasse didn't wow me today. It sounded like he generated some hype yesterday, but I think the first round talk may have cooled down a bit if what I saw was indicative of his entire day. He has potential certainly but looked like he was having trouble adjusting to the higher talent level.

-I'd read that Mardy Gilyard had a poor opening day on Monday, but I thought he looked pretty solid today. I was specifically impressed by his moves at the line of scrimmage to break press coverage. That's something he's going to need to do in order to be successful at the next level.

-Michigan DE/OLB Brandon Graham just looked unstoppable out there, from what I saw. He was a heat-seaking missile into the backfield from the DE position, even though his best fit in the NFL may be as a 3-4 OLB.

-There's a lot of buzz about Idaho OL Mike Iupati, and while I liked what I saw of him while he was inside at guard, I wasn't blown away by his showing when they moved him outside to tackle. Still, I don't think he hurt himself today.

-Some other North team DL that I thought had some nice showings from the footage I saw were Mike Neal (Purdue), Jard Odrick (Penn State), and D'Anthony Smith (LA Tech). I think Odrick is making a strong case so far to be taken in the first round.

-I wasn't blown away by Notre Dame OT Sam Young, but his size was impressive. Still, he got beat a little too much for my liking.

-Boise State CB Kyle Wilson continued to impress from what I saw. I thought he looked physical and stayed with his man very well.

Looking forward to catching up on the South practice sometime tonight!

Tuesday Morning in Mobile
    Posted >Tue, January 26, 2010 08:30
    by Nick Wagoner

MOBILE, Ala. -

- Good morning from Mobile. Just wanted to give everyone an idea of what is to come today and how the schedule down here will work this week.

- Getting ready now to head over to Ladd-Peebles Stadium where the North team will begin practice at 9:30. Upon the completion of that practice, I'll do some interviews and then head back to write up a blog and some feature stories. In addition, I'll be doing my chat this afternoon around 1:00 for anyone with questions about stuff going on down here.

- I'm efforting a new feature with an independent scout with takes on various players throughout the week so you can get the perspective of someone who has been watching these guys and knows them better than I.

- After the chat session, I'll be heading out to practice for the afternoon session, featuring the South team. Haven't had a chance to see that squad yet so should be some new nuggets from the afternoon.

- Of course, I will also have my eye out for Rams personnel, including coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney. Any news from them will be included as well in the daily reports.

- The padded practices begin today. This is what the NFL world comes to watch so it should be a good first look at some of these guys.

- As for what else to expect: caught up with a lot of players so far including Sean Weatherspoon, Danario Alexander, Myron Rolle, Stafon Johnson, Sean Canfield, Tony Pike, Dan Lefevour, among others. Will be posting some of their thoughts as well as featuring some on the site in the coming days.

- So long for just a while.

Tuesday's North Practice: Mixed Results for Mizzou
    Posted >Tue, January 26, 2010 12:31
    by Nick Wagoner
    - MOBILE, Ala.

- Just back from Tuesday morning's North team practice where the players went through their first paces in full pads and the NFL world looked on in curiosity. It was a spirited practice to say the least with mixed results for certain guys. Some had better days than Monday, some struggled and others stayed about the same. Let's get right into it.

- Let's start with the bad news. Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield has a torn ACL and will miss the rest of the draft season. Tough break for a projected second or third round pick.

- Illinois guard Jon Asamoah has an undisclosed injury and missed Tuesday's practice. He stood on the sideline in a sweatshirt.

- On the field, the competition was good and everyone seemed fired up. Nobody moreso than Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon had an excellent day and though he is moving all over the place, is clearly the best linebacker here. He really stood out in the blitz pickup drills where a running back takes on a linebacker in space. He got by his man easily nearly every time. He also continues to win the award for most vocal player on the field.

- Meanwhile, Weatherspoon's Mizzou teammate Danario Alexander had a rough day at receiver. He looks the part and is a legitimate 6'4 plus with a chiseled 221 pounds. But Alexander has been inconsistent catching the ball the past two days. He dropped one early in individual drills then caught everything thrown his way for about 10 minutes. Then, he really struggled in team and seven on seven. He's been fine getting off the jam and running routes but his hands, something that was never in question before, have plagued him this week so far.

- That blitz pickup drill was perhaps the most spirited of the day. For the most part, the linebackers got the better of the running backs. The notable exception? Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount. He's a big man and did a nice job in the drill.

- While Alexander has struggled, some other receivers have been quite impressive. Mardy Gilyard was good on Monday but dipped a little Tuesday. Ohio's Taylor Price and Clemson's Jacoby Ford have had no such change. Both have been very good so far this week. Price is extremely smooth and catches about everything. Ford has nice burst, is quick in and out of cuts and also has good hands. So far, the best two receivers on the North squad.

- Idaho guard Mike Iupati is getting a lot of love from scouts and some think he can play outside at tackle. He's worked both spots the past two days. He's downright dominant at guard but not so much at tackle. He got beat badly on a few pass rush drills at tackle. He could be a Pro Bowl guard. The difference, it seems, is that great.

- Michigan DE Brandon Graham is high energy all the time. Another solid practice for him.

- Like Iupati, Massachusetts T Vladimir Ducasse is also getting looks inside and out. The difference is Ducasse is the inverse. He's solid at tackle but struggles inside.

- Once again, the best quarterback on the field was Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour. He has a solid arm and can make many of the necessary throws for NFL success.

- Cincinnati QB Tony Pike had a better day on Tuesday. He threw a really nice deep ball for a touchdown to Oregon TE Ed Dickson. Dickson had a good day and showed some nice route running skills.

- Boise State CB Kyle Wilson looks to be the best in coverage right now. He had a strong day with a couple of pass breakups on deep balls.

- As for small school guys making an impact, Wayne State RB Joique Bell had a nice, long run for a touchdown in team drills. Arkansas State DL Alex Carrington had some moments in the one on one pass rush drills.

- That's it for the North. Back this afternoon with a report from the South practice and my first look at Tim Tebow.

Tuesday's South Practice: TebowMania
    Posted >Tue, January 26, 2010 05:20
    by Nick Wagoner

- The South team just completed its first fully padded practice down at Ladd-Peebles Stadium and what a scene it was. Since about half the South roster is composed of SEC players anyway, there were plenty of fans there but nobody brings them out like Florida QB Tim Tebow.

- Let me set the scene a little for those of you who have never been to Mobile before. The stadium is older and set up in a neighborhood sort of like Lambeau Field without the history. Normally the parking lot is about half full and those in attendance are scouts, coaches, media types and some others. Today, when practice started, the entire parking lot was full. Fans were decked out in their Tebow No. 15 Florida jerseys and screaming for him at the top of their lungs. And that was just the adults. There was one young female fan on the south side of the stadium holding a sign and screaming every time Tebow did anything: complete a pass, throw a pass, drop a snap, tie his shoes, you name it.

- As for what TebowMania translates to on the field, it really doesn't mean much. Tebow is battling strep throat and a 103 degree temperature and went to a local hospital on Monday night. Of course, that didn't keep him from practicing. After hearing some things said about his performance yesterday I had to wonder how bad it could be but Tebow looks just fine for the most part. When he drops to throw in seven on seven or individual drills, he can make all the throws and he has a pretty strong arm.
    - The problem arises when Tebow has to go under center which is understandable because he's really never had to do it. By my count, he only botched one snap during the team portion of drills. Still, even when he took the snap, he was a bit slow getting out from under center. He threw a couple of interceptions in team drill and struggled a bit when he was pressured. To his credit, he threw well on the run and did a nice job on rollouts and play action.

- The other quarterbacks, West Virginia's Jarrett Brown and Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson, also come from spread offenses and have had trouble taking snaps under center. Brown had some nice moments and seems to have a pretty strong arm.

- One of the standouts of the day is Mississippi Swiss Army Knife Dexter McCluster. McCluster did individual drills with the receivers then moved to running back during team portion of practice and also worked as a punt and kick returner. Some teams view him as a slot guy but he says he's an "O.W." which stands for offensive weapon. As a receiver, he made one tremendous diving catch on a deep ball down the sideline. On the pass, McCluster said he lost it in the sun but stayed with it and saw it in time to dive for the catch. He seems like the type of kid who can do it all and make big plays. Think Darren Sproles after a few Red Bulls. Impressive kid.

- Tennessee DT Dan Williams is a strong, powerful kid who plays with a lot of leverage. Dominant in one on one pass rush drills.

- Say what you want about Alabama DT Terrence Cody but the big man can't be blocked by one person.

- Miami tight end Jimmy Graham doesn't come with a ton of experience but he's big and has a lot of athletic ability. Intriguing prospect who caught a nice deep ball today in team drills.

- I'm not sure how fast he is but Alabama CB Javier Arenas sure is feisty. What a competitor.

- USC TE Anthony McCoy made a nice diving catch deep down the seam during team drills.
    - Tebow's teammate, WR Riley Cooper had some nice moments during the workout but also dropped some balls that cost Tebow some completions.

- Mississippi offensive lineman John Jerry, brother of 2009 first-round pick Peria Jerry, looked solid in one on one pass rush drills at both guard and tackle.

- That's it for today, gotta get hammering on some feature stories for the front of the site. But I'll take a longer look at some non-Tebow stuff for the South tomorrow morning.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

USC saftey Taylor Mays reportedly has stiff hips and has been getting beaten a lot in one on one drills. This is leading to some teams believing he may be a better fit at weak side linebacker.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Danario Alexander had a rough day at receiver. He looks the part and is a legitimate 6'4 plus with a chiseled 221 pounds. But Alexander has been inconsistent catching the ball the past two days. He dropped one early in individual drills then caught everything thrown his way for about 10 minutes. Then, he really struggled in team and seven on seven. He's been fine getting off the jam and running routes but his hands, something that was never in question before, have plagued him this week so far.
    Best report I've heard yet. Keep 'em coming! The more of these reports get out there, the farther down Alexander will slip. Maybe we can get him with our 4th or 5th instead of our 3rd.

Read what you will, but this kid is going to be a solid receiver in the NFL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Terrence Cody at weigh-ins...

Yikes!
    So which trainer is he going to work with.......Bob or Jillian?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    USC saftey Taylor Mays reportedly has stiff hips and has been getting beaten a lot in one on one drills. This is leading to some teams believing he may be a better fit at weak side linebacker.
    I've been kind of thinking the same thing the past couple of days. There are some people who think Mays is still a top 15-20 pick, and that very well may be. But if he slips towards the bottom of the first round because teams are hesitant about him being a DB in the pros, I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong team like New Orleans take him as a potential OLB on their defense.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've been kind of thinking the same thing the past couple of days. There are some people who think Mays is still a top 15-20 pick, and that very well may be. But if he slips towards the bottom of the first round because teams are hesitant about him being a DB in the pros, I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong team like New Orleans take him as a potential OLB on their defense.
    That, or a tweener that could play either position, depending on the package/situation. There are already a lot of stories to follow leading up to the draft. It definitely won't be boring.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

I hope Mays is selected in the first so our chances of grabbing someone who deserves to be in the first, in the second, will increase. I'm really torn between Weatherspoon and Graham at this point..

DAY TWO: Tebow improves, receivers inconsistent, defensive backs solid
    Jan. 27, 2010
    By Rob Rang
    NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    Tell Rob your opinion!

MOBILE, Ala. -- NFL scouts came to Mobile hoping to see one of the quarterbacks emerge from the pack.

After two days of practice, they're still hoping. There's no getting around the fact that quarterback Tim Tebow will be a daily story this week.

Tebow did not have a good day of practice Monday, but one NFL talent evaluator said, "People made too much of [that]. We all know he needs work ... but his intangibles are just off the charts, and he'll only get better."

On Tuesday, he did not have issues taking snaps and set up well in his drop. When he rolled out to his left or right, he set himself before throwing and was typically on target. However, it took him too long to set and throw on the move. It was obvious he worked on shortening his delivery, but he fell back into old habits as the practice went on, winding up and allowing cornerbacks to jump out routes.

Tebow displayed nice touch on deep balls and the zip down the seam that he has always had. When he held onto the ball too long or faced pressure, however, Tebow made bad decisions, throwing two near-interceptions that bounced off the chest of South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood and the hands of Miami middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton.

With all of the talk about Tebow, some people might not have noticed that the ball flat-out jumps off the hand of West Virginia quarterback Jarrett Brown. His accuracy was not deadly, but he gave tight ends running down the seams and receivers on the sideline every opportunity to make a play. Brown is still working on getting the ball from under center and is stiff in his drop. His solid arm and ability as a runner, however, bodes well for his future as a playmaker at the next level.

Cincinnati's Tony Pike is the most gifted thrower of the class, demonstrating the arm strength, accuracy to all levels of the field and mobility rare for a player of his 6-5 frame. The North's starter in each passing drill, Pike zipped passes through tight windows, consistently placed his deep outs low and wide so that only his man could get them and seemed increasingly comfortable dropping back from center.

Unfortunately, for each series of impressive throws, Pike would leave scouts scratching their heads with inaccurate passes, especially in the intermediate zones. Some of this is from not developing a rapport with his new teammates, as well as gusty conditions that were prevalent Tuesday. However, much of it is traced to inconsistent footwork. Pike also has a tendency to rely upon his fastball, and he didn't have enough touch to fit the ball between the linebacker and safety. Analysis

Touch, however, is one thing Oregon State's Sean Canfield has been able to show. It is his lack of arm strength that has scouts concerned. Canfield rode a breakout senior campaign into an invitation to the Senior Bowl, but has done little thus far to show he has the arm necessary to be successful in the NFL. Canfield has to go into a full windup to get the ball to the sideline. Though the throws do get there, they arc and are slow in arriving, which will result in interceptions in the NFL. While the zip isn't there for the intermediate routes, Canfield was the North's most accurate deep-ball passer due to impressive touch and good trajectory.

Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour lacks Pike's big arm, but was able to drive the ball with more authority than Canfield. However, he was the most erratic thrower Tuesday, struggling to hit his receivers in full stride. He has been limited in practice, as he has been asked to remain strictly in the pocket. Without the threat of scrambling, LeFevour's less-than-ideal accuracy is being exposed a bit against the North's quality defensive backs.

Who's catching?

Some of the North's quarterback issues are a result of inconsistent play from the receivers.

Small-school wideout Andre Roberts (The Citadel) was the surprise standout among the South receiving corps Monday and Ohio's Taylor Price might be continuing that theme. The 6-0, 200-pound Price is quick off the snap and catches the ball cleanly.

The same could not be said for the North's two most highly-touted receivers entering this week's practices: Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard and Missouri's Danario Alexander. Gilyard dropped numerous passes Tuesday. These sudden struggles have only added to the questions about how his spindly frame and lack of upper-body strength will hold up when pressed.

The 6-5, 221-pound Alexander, on the other hand, has plenty of size. He'll need a system in the NFL that allows him to catch passes while on the move as he did when starring for the Tigers, as he has the straight-line speed to run away from cornerbacks, but is a long strider who struggles to change directions and gain separation. Perhaps most disappointing is how often he has allowed passes to enter his chest plate, resulting in some ugly drops. According to scouts in attendance at Monday's North practice, Gilyard and Alexander were just as disappointing then. They'll need strong bounce-back Wednesday practices if they are to save their falling stock before most scouts leave.

Clemson's Jacoby Ford is proving among the more secure handed receivers at the Senior Bowl this week -- a bit of a surprise to some who had labeled as only a big-play threat. Though short, the 5-9, 181-pound Ford has good strength to gain his release off press and has the speed to eat up the cushion. He has impressed scouts so far this week with his ability to adjust to poorly thrown passes and haul in tough catches.

Pittsburgh's Dorin Dickerson is as a tight end, but he played exclusively at wide receiver Tuesday. He lacks the speed to challenge corners deep and struggled to generate consistent separation.

On the South side, Riley Cooper, Tebow's favorite receiver and roommate, both helped and hurt the Gators quarterback. Cooper extended only one hand out on one pattern instead of running through the play, but later tracked a ball over his right shoulder, bringing it in with one hand down the sideline. Cooper saw another ball bounce off his chest after making a nice deep square-in to free himself of coverage. His inconsistency will cost him draft position despite his obvious athletic ability.

A receiver on the rise is Roberts. Scouts expected him to be closer to 5-10, 180 pounds, but he measured in at 5-11, 192. His quickness has not been hurt by the added weight, and his routes were outstanding. Roberts has the feet to run effective comeback routes, the suddenness to free himself on slants, and the vertical to leap up and grab a high pass on the sideline. Typically one FCS receiver is selected in the top 100, and it looks like Roberts fits that ball in the 2010 draft.

Other wideouts like Shay Hodge (Ole Miss), Jeremy Williams (Tulane), and Joe Webb (UAB) all had their moments. Hodge and Williams aren't explosive off the line, but caught everything thrown their way. Webb takes time to get going, but started to revert to his 2007 form at the position, using his body to shield defenders. None of the three can separate downfield or burst to the ball, but will be solid No. 2 or 3 receivers.

Who's covering?

Inconsistent passing and catching has helped a strong roster of North cornerbacks gain even more confidence.

Chad Reuter characterized Boise State's Kyle Wilson as being the star at the position Monday and the former Bronco only helped himself further with another strong performance. Blessed with great foot quickness, balance and the acceleration to catch up when beaten on a double-move, Wilson is gaining momentum here to be considered the best cover corner of this senior class and a potential first-round pick. However, if he hopes to achieve that status, he'll need to prove more willing to come up in run support than he has been throughout much of his career in the WAC.

Rutgers' Devin McCourty and California's Syd'Quan Thompson have also helped their causes this week. McCourty has the agility and straight-line speed for man coverage. He breaks on the ball quickly and has the active hands to rip away passes at the last moment. Thompson (5-9, 182) lacks the size and straight-line speed teams want as a press corner, but his instincts and physicality make him arguably the draft's top zone coverage cornerback. Unlike Wilson, McCourty and Thompson are standout run defenders, who haven't been able to show off their physicality and aggression in practice due to the no-tackle rules being enforced.

A pair of lanky ACC corners, Virginia's Chris Cook and Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee, have struggled locating the ball and making the plays necessary to earn a high-round pick. At 6-1 and 6-0, respectively, each has the height scouts like. They have shown enough agility in their back-pedal, but they have been far too complacent in coverage, allowing easy receptions.

Things were different for the South secondary players.

The success of the receivers Tuesday today came at the expense of the cornerbacks, a group which scouts already considered weak. Oklahoma State's Perrish Cox, Florida State's Patrick Robinson, South Florida's Jerome Murphy and Kentucky's Trevard Lindley all had similar issues staying with their receivers and closing on the ball or making a play on it if in position to do so. Javier Arenas was the shortest of the bunch at under 5-9, but weighs the most (195) and played the strongest, keeping in contact with his man and ripping the ball away from Webb during a catch on a short route.

The South safeties didn't have much luck locking on receivers, either, especially in one-on-one drills. USC's Taylor Mays struggled to plant and drive coming out of his backpedal, looking like Fred Flintstone churning his feet without any resulting forward movement. Harry Coleman also looked like he had played linebacker this season at LSU, pedaling high and slow and struggling to change directions in space. USF's Nate Allen is much more fluid in coverage than Coleman or Mays, and scouts know all about his speed and range in the deep half.

Other notables

• The top playmaker on the South offense was Ole Miss running back/receiver Dexter McCluster. He snatched just about every throw away from his frame, showed exceptional quickness in the open field, and a knack of finding the smallest of creases and exploiting it as a runner. The issue is that he is only 165 pounds and is a liability as a blocker. But any team looking for a dynamic player in the late second or early third round will look seriously at McCluster.

• Fullbacks and tight ends also made some nice plays Tuesday. Ed Dickson from Oregon looked like former Texas Longhorn and current Green Bay Packer Jermichael Finley as a route-runner, showing good concentration to bring in high and wide throws in traffic and running fluidly enough to make it tough for linebackers to stay with him across the middle or on corner routes.

• Wisconsin's H-back prospect, Garrett Graham, had trouble getting off coverage at times because of his marginal suddenness, but when linebackers did not check him at the line, he found holes to the outside and easily secured passes to move the chains.

• Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount also impressed, looking like a clone of Jacksonville fullback Greg Jones as a tough runner and willing blocker. A bit raw in pass protection technique and as a route runner and receiver (quarterback Dan LeFevour had a talk with him after they failed to connect on a throw to the flat), Blount has a ways to go to improve his overall game. But he ran strong and finished every play, even spinning off tackles inside. And it is obvious Blount does not back down from mixing it up on the field as a blocker. Don't be surprised if he comes up big in the game Saturday.

• Rashawn Jackson has been the top true fullback in NFLDraftScout.com's rankings for quite some time, and his receiving and blocking skills did nothing to change that rating. Though he needs to work on his punch and hand placement when facing oncoming blitzers, Jackson is athletic enough to be effective in pass protection and be a good positional blocker for the run. His hips are flexible enough to adjust to passes to the flat, elude a defender outside, and get more than a first down after the catch.

• It's easy to see how anxious the North linebackers were to show scouts they like to hit, as frequent repetitions against the run led to play-action plays that usually saw all three guys on the field taking two false steps toward the line of scrimmage.

• Washington's Donald Butler stood out as a run-stuffing middle linebacker teams usually look for late in the draft. He attacked run plays from inside-out, finding his way to get to the ball carrier.

• Daryl Washington played inside in TCU's 4-2-5 defense this year, but his move to the strong side seems likely after watching the past two practices. His ability to knife through traffic to rein in running backs and stay with Oregon tight end Ed Dickson down the field (and knock the ball away on one corner route in particular) was impressive. Though a bit high-cut, his speed and aggression makes up for it in space.

• Another Mountain West product, Utah's Koa Misi, again looks to be a legitimate outside linebacker prospect. He has the speed to handle tight ends and running backs in pass coverage, as well as the strength to take on fullback blocks. He has already shown his ability to rush the passer.

• There's nothing flashy about Iowa outside linebacker A.J. Edds, but he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Whether blowing up fullbacks or covering up receivers in the flat, he flashed the skills to be a Ben Leber-type coverage linebacker who will play for 10 years in the NFL.

• Another player making a change in position this week is Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. There's no questioning his production, and he could have the size to play inside at 6-1, 241, if he can stay at that weight during the season. He slid through trash to make plays in the run game Tuesday, and made life tough on running backs running routes in his area by pounding them within the five-yard window.

• Miami tight end Jimmy Graham had a phenomenal practice Tuesday, looking extremely fluid as a runner and catching everything in sight. The former Hurricanes basketball player left safeties and linebackers without a clue on where or when his cut would come; the out routes and square-ins were equally crisp and strong. That sort of route-running ability for a one-year contributor, and at 6-7, 258 pounds, is rare. Watch for his name to climb up boards all the way to draft weekend.

• The other South tight ends, Anthony McCoy (USC) and Colin Peek (Alabama) also impressed as able blockers and showed very good hands as receivers. Peek worked over Texas' Sergio Kindle in the BCS Championship Game and did the same Tuesday, while McCoy sealed the edge on run plays as he had done many times before for the Trojans. McCoy also used his long stride to get behind linebackers, making a nice diving grab down the seam.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Day 3 updates from the Senior Bowl
    Scouts Inc.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Day 3 of Senior Bowl practices has wrapped up but Scouts Inc. was there all day and has all the info on players who impressed and those who struggled.

South team

• Oklahoma CB Perrish Cox just intercepted passes on back-to-back plays, showing great anticipation when breaking and good ball skills to bring the passes in.

• Tulane WR Jeremy Williams did a nice job finding a seam in zone coverage during red zone drills and made a nice adjustment to a ball thrown behind him in 1-on-1 drills, but he did drop two passes during individual drills.

• Alabama NT Terrence Cody is providing nothing in 1-on-1 pass rush drills. His lack of moves is really showing up today. In the same drill South Florida DE George Selvie got Tennessee OL Chris Scott on skates and knocked him to the ground in embarrassing fashion.

• Arkansas OL Mitch Petrus is an undersized prospect and appears to lack the power base to get movement off the line of scrimmage.

• Mississippi WR Shay Hodge takes too long to gear down before making breaks but he is catching the ball well.

• Alabama CB Javier Arenas looked good during 1-on-1 drills, doing a nice job jamming Citadel WR Andre Roberts and Tulane WR Jeremy Williams during press drills.

• Alabama NT Terrence Cody is showing a lack of balance today, getting knocked off his feet by a down-block during double-team drills.

• Florida WR Riley Cooper continues to show strong hands. He snatched the ball out of the air with a nice one-handed catch.

• Sorry for the delay, folks. Practice is getting off to a late start and the players are still warming up, but Alabama RB Roy Upchurch is having trouble tracking the ball.

• We're looking for a big bounce-back day from USC TE Anthony McCoy, who we thought would be the best tight end here but has struggled to this point. And we want to know which Patrick Robinson will show up today. Other cornerbacks are on the rise and he has to step up his game.

North team

• Oklahoma RB Chris Brown is in pads and is stretching with the team every day but he tweaked his hamstring on Monday and is not taking part in any drills.

• Penn State DT Jared Odrick is showing quickness and power in the team period and disrupting the offense.

• We liked Oregon TE Ed Dickson's hands coming in but he's taking it to another level today and catching everything thrown at him.

• Oregon RB LeGarrette Blount is catching the ball well but he still looks stiff in the passing game. He has to prove he can contribute in that area to boost his stock.

• Fresno State RB Lonyae Miller has good speed for his size but he is not a good pass blocker and he is showing little discipline as a runner.

• Maryland DB Terrell Skinner is anticipating routes, closing on the ball well and is not afraid to lay a hit on the receiver.

• Clemson WR Jacoby Ford is finding seams in zone coverage and he beat Boise State CB Kyle Wilson over the top in 1-on-1s. Ford's big-play ability is finally showing up but he dropped another pass and hands continue to be an issue.

• The struggles continue for Utah OT Zane Beadles. He was late getting off the ball on one play during a twist drill and was knocked to the ground by California DL Tyson Alualu on the next play.

• Arkansas State DL Alex Carrington showed his explosiveness when running a twist, absolutely train-wrecking fellow DL Tyson Alualu to the ground. Impressive for a 280-pounder.

• On a side note, the weather could not be nicer here in Mobile. There is not a cloud to be seen, temps are slowly rising and there is only a light breeze. Perfect day for football.

• Penn State DT Jared Odrick looks better than he did early in the week. He looked quick during bag work and is showing a quick first step and getting penetration in 1-on-1 drills.

• Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard got off the line better than any other wideout duping 1-on-1 drills against press coverage. He beat both Ohio State S Kurt Coleman and Virginia CB Chris Cook cleanly.

• Wayne State (MI) RB Joique Bell is catching the ball naturally. He is quick with a good center of gravity.

• A tough week continues for Missouri WR Danario Alexander, who looked stiff getting in and out of the bags during individual work and also dropped one pass and body-caught another.

• We're looking for a little more consistency from Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard today. He has shown good quickness during the week but he dropped too many balls on Day 2 and has to clean that up.

• The players are loosening up and things are about to get busy here in Mobile. The second day in pads is always the most intense so we're looking forward to lots of action today.

Oregon TE Dickson shines on Day 3
    Scouts Inc.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. -- The North team has wrapped up practice on Day 3 at the Senior Bowl, and several players stood out.

Here's a look at who had the best days and who struggled, and be sure to check back later in the day for a full report, including the best and worst from the South team's practice.

North team: good days

Nebraska S Larry Asante -- Asante is showing above-average range on the back end of coverage and the ability to match up in underneath coverage. He stayed with Wisconsin TE Garrett Graham well during team period, and showed a bit of a mean streak later in the team period when he laid Graham out on a play down the seam. Asante doesn't have elite man coverage skills but did an adequate job of staying low in his backpedal and closing quickly when the ball was caught in front of him. He appears to have the ability to limit production after the catch, and while it's hard to judge his tackling ability in this controlled environment our film study and what we've seen here indicate that he has the instincts and discipline to get into position and be effective in run support.

Oregon TE Ed Dickson -- He fought the ball early in the week, but Dickson caught everything thrown at him on Day 3. He looked comfortable running routes, and his athleticism showed when he was able to separate from Nebraska LB Phillip Dillard and make a nice catch over his shoulder down the field. Dickson also made two catches in traffic and didn't appear to flinch. He is undersized, though, and will have to add some bulk to his lean frame if he hopes to be more than a sub-package H-back in the NFL. Dickson played to his potential on Day 3, though, and showed that he is by far the best athlete among the North tight ends.

Penn State DT Jared Odrick -- What stood out most for Odrick was his quick first step off the ball and his power and motor. He was stout against the run today, and his quickness allowed him to get into the backfield all day, and he never quit moving. He is still learning to use his hands and needs to keep them inside a bit more, but he is shooting gaps, finding the ball, and reacting well and disrupting the offense.

His size is an asset, but Danario Alexander's hands need work.

North team: bad days

Missouri WR Danario Alexander -- Alexander has good size (6-4, 221 pounds) and threw his weight around at times, but he also had a hard time sinking his hips and getting in and out of cuts. He is not nearly as fluid as fellow North receivers Jacoby Ford and Mardy Gilyard, and we also have concerns about his hands. Alexander beat California CB Syd'Quan Thompson down the field during one-on-one drills and elevated to go after the jump ball, but the pass bounced off his hands. Alexander has to make that play and make more plays in traffic. He did flash the ability to shield the ball from defenders but his overall receiving skills need work.

Arizona State G Shawn Aluavo -- It was an underwhelming day for Aluavo, who was slow out of his stance and lacks core strength at the point of attack. He catches defenders and needs to be more aggressive because he lacks the upper-body strength to be effective in that way. Arkansas State DL Alex Carrington absolutely ran Aluavo over on a twist during drills. Aluavo looks like a late-round pick at this point.

TCU LB Daryl Washington -- Washington's lack of size was exposed on Day 3. He has good athleticism and instincts and is generally in good position in coverage and against the run, but the lack of size is an issue. We saw a running back dictate his route on an angle route, and he was knocked back by a tight end when trying to press him off on the line. Washington also got lost in traffic at times and dropped a sure interception, and based on what we saw today, he needs to get on a team that runs a Tampa 2 defense that emphasizes speed and quickness over size and strength.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-27-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Wednesday North Practice: Defense Dominates
    Posted >Wed, January 27, 2010 01:10
    by Nick Wagoner

MOBILE, Ala. -

- The North team finished its final fully padded practice Wednesday morning on a crisp, sunny day at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. And for the most part, it was a day dominated by the defense.

- Let's get to the injury front first where Missouri receiver Danario Alexander appeared to be the only ailment of the day. Going up to contest a deep pass, he landed awkwardly on his leg. Detroit offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, former head coach of the Rams, said Alexander banged up his knee. Linehan was unsure of the extent of the injury but Alexander did not finish the practice.

- As for the action on the field, it was a defensive kind of day, particularly for the linebackers and defensive backs.

- Some of the standouts included Virginia CB Chris Cook, Boise State CB Kyle Wilson and Rutgers CB Devin McCourty.

- All are considered among the top five or so players at the position in this year's draft and all showed why on Wednesday.

- Perhaps none stood above the rest more than Cook. At 6'1, Cooks towers above a lot of the corners, plays physical and shows good ball skills. On one deep out in team drills, Cook sat on the route, baited Cincinnati QB Tony Pike into the throw and jumped the route. In one motion, he picked off the pass and tight roped the sideline for what would have been a pick-6.

- Wilson and McCourty, meanwhile, continue to just be as sticky as possible in coverage and show a high level of feistiness in run support. Wilson is very polished for a young corner. McCourty might have the most upside of all of them.

- At linebacker, Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon continues to impress as does TCU's Daryl Washington. Washington dropped an easy interception after reading a screen pass but he seems to be a good athlete with a nose for the ball.

- Another strong performance from Oregon TE Ed Dickson, who continues to have good success separating from defenders.

- Boston College C Matt Tennant isn't the biggest guy but boy does he compete. He holds his own surprisingly well against much bigger players. He does a really nice job of using leverage to hold up against the bull rush.

- California CB Syd'Quan Thompson also had a nice day with a couple of pass breakups.

- Ohio WR Taylor Price had probably his worst outing as he struggled to get separation and even dropped a few passes. Same for Clemson's Jacoby Ford.

- North Carolina DL Cam Thomas had a better day and is trying to match Weatherspoon's vocal presence.

- Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo spent the morning watching practice from the sideline alongside Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin. Spagnuolo said he and Tomlin talked about some of Tomlin's experiences in his first two years as a head coach and joked about how they both sort of gravitated toward the defensive players on the field.

- Will have more on Spagnuolo and the Senior Bowl later today with a feature for the front of the site. And, of course, I will have a blog from this afternoon's practice as well. Feel free to shoto questions to the mailbag too. I'll answer anything Senior Bowl related you want to throw in there.

Wednesday's South Practice: Down on the Corner
    Posted >Wed, January 27, 2010 07:30
    by Nick Wagoner

MOBILE, Ala. -

- The South team completed its Wednesday afternoon practice with a spirited session, ending the fully padded portion of the week as the teams switch to shells tomorrow and a walk through on Friday before Saturday's game. And, like earlier in the day, the defense won the day.

- South team cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Patrick Robinson had strong days and South Florida safety Nate Allen also emerged.

- Cox was perhaps the best player on the field on Wednesday, playing sticky coverage and even coming up with a couple of interceptions in the team portion of practice. He could end up in the first round if he runs well at the combine in February.

- Robinson isn't far behind. He's easily as skilled as Cox. The only question with him is how much effort he will put forth on every play. If he maintains intensity, he's as good as any corner in the draft this side of Florida's Joe Haden.

- Today was Florida quarterback Tim Tebow's best day. He handled snaps better, got out from under center quicker and generally looked more polished. It doesn't mean a ton but Dolphins coach Tony Sparano had Tebow doing more stuff out of the shotgun with spread looks. Perhaps that helped make Tebow more comfortable.

- After a close race, I think the quarterback in attendance with the most physical tools to excel in the NFL is West Virginia's Jarrett Brown. Brown has a rocket for a right arm and is a good athlete. You can tell he's a bit raw but he put the ball on a string for a couple of long touchdown throws. Seems like a more polished Tarvaris Jackson with similar physical skills.

- South Florida defensive end George Selvie was once considered one of the best pass rushing prospects in college football. Selvie flashed why in one on ones by just obliterating Tennessee tackle Chris Scott on one play.

- USC safety Taylor Mays continues to struggle in coverage. He can run with anyone but he just lacks the ball skills necessary to cover the back end.

- Kentucky CB Trevard Lindley is really struggling this week.

- Lost in the hype for fellow SEC defensive tackles is Georgia's Geno Atkins. He is a squat guy but plays with good leverage and seemingly has some upside.

- USC TE Anthony McCoy caught another deep ball today and is the best combination of blocker and pass catcher among the tight ends though he wasn't terribly productive for the Trojans.

- That will do it for our practice reports from here this week. It's been fun chatting, blogging, etc with all of you. I'll have a Senior Bowl wrap up chat on Friday after I spend tomorrow traveling back to St. Louis. Until then...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast