Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Official 2012 NFL Combine Thread

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: The Official 2012 NFL Combine Thread

Floyd did well to up his stock. I don't like how slow he is out of his breaks though, his speed doesn't really come through. Blackmon and Wright are 'slower', but still play faster and get out of breaks faster than Floyd. Blackmon is a way better route runner than any of the other players which gives him probably the highest floor.Wright plays so fast that I think he'll get the benefit of the doubt, and the Joe Haden treatment (who ran 4.5+ and got a second chance at his pro day)

AJ Jenkins did really well today and I think he'll be up in the second/third round. Really smooth, fast, and had good body control.

Hill is a machine. 4.35 dash and 11'1 broad jump is ridiculous. He also has good body control and hands.He looks bad running routes that aren't straight line, but I think he can be coached into running better routes. I like him way more than Streeter, who looks even more raw and ackward running routes. Hill is also probably the best run blocker (of receivers) in the draft.

Since the Rams have Pettis and Salas (big and slow possession receivers that have trouble separating) I think Sanu, Dwight Jones, Alshon, Criner, Fuller, ect.. are off the board or fall a lot. Plus Alshon apparently ruined his stock in horrible interviews and not participating without giving a reason.

My Rank for Rams WR needs - Blackmon, Wright, Floyd, Randle, Hill, Jenkins, Toon, Sanu, Quick, Streeter, ect...
    Last edited by codeman123; -02-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Doug Martin's 40 times (unofficial): 4.57 and 4.47.

Particularly if the Rams end up with multiple 2nd round picks, he's a guy I'm very interested in looking at. He is built like Emmit Smith, and could be an every down back when Steven Jackson moves on.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Rammed is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Doug Martin's 40 times (unofficial): 4.57 and 4.47.

Particularly if the Rams end up with multiple 2nd round picks, he's a guy I'm very interested in looking at. He is built like Emmit Smith, and could be an every down back when Steven Jackson moves on.
    Quite the comparison

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So, with Hill, Randle, Jeffery(he'll be there) and Sanu looking like they could be available at the start of the second round... what do the Rams do? Hill's a late riser, and doesn't have a lot of production, but was definitely one of the stars of the WR group. Randle has the same college production issue.

Do we try to stay in that top 6 where we might still have a chance at Blackmon, or do we gamble and trade a second time or welcome a lower first pick where we could grab a big time offensive lineman, DT, or even CB? I love Blackmon's raw talent, but with guys who are taller and probably (timed in spandex) faster than him and maybe have just as high of a ceiling, do we grab playmakers at a couple other positions and take our chances at 2.1?

That second/third tier of WR's got a little more crowded today.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Some solid RB's.

Vick Ballard: 5'10, 219 lbs, 4.63 forty
    Cyrus Gray: 5'10, 206 lbs, 4.41 forty
    Ronnie Hillman: 5'9, 200lbs, 4.41 forty
    LaMichael James: 5'8, 194 lbs, 4.37 forty
    Doug Martin: 5'9, 223 lbs, 4.47 forty
    Lamar Miller: 5'11 212 lbs, 4.38 forty
    Isaiah Pead: 5'10 197 lbs, 4.41 forty
    Chris Polk: 5'11, 215 lbs, 4.46 forty
    Chris Rainey: 5'8, 180 lbs, 4.37 forty
    David Wilson: 5'10, 206 lbs, 4.40 forty

I realllllly like David Wilson and if he was available in the 2nd it'd be hard not to take him.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Rotoworld notes -

Per SI.com's Tony Pauline, Georgia T/G Cordy Glenn is "skyrocketing" up draft boards and could go as early as No. 14 overall to the Cowboys.
    While Glenn has the length and athleticism to play tackle, the Cowboys like their guards big and he fits the description at 6-foot-6, 346. We suspect Dallas would go for Stanford OG David DeCastro first, but Glenn could be a fine fallback option as the No. 2 guard (and arguably No. 4 tackle) in the 2012 draft.

I was looking forward to Glenn dropping to a range we could draft him. He really helped himself this week and went from a borderline first, early second round pick to a mid first rounder.

Officials from two AFC teams told SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline that they "would not draft" South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery before the middle portion of the second round.

Jeffery backers may chalk up this story as a pre-draft "smokescreen," but question marks abound about his athleticism after a healthy Jeffery declined to participate in any Combine drills with his receiver group. The South Carolina Pro Day is scheduled for March 28, so we're a ways away from learning anything more about Jeffery. He'll be a draftnik pinata until then.

I wouldn't touch him before the third round either.

A "number of teams" have reportedly moved Iowa OT Riley Reiff to guard in their draft positional rankings.

The same rumblings surfaced two years ago when fellow Hawkeye tackle Bryan Bulaga measured in with short arms at the Combine. Reiff's arms are 33 1/4 inches, also sub-optimal for an NFL offensive tackle. The team that drafts Reiff likely wouldn't do so to play guard, but his draft stock may have taken a hit in Indy. He's not in Matt Kalil's area code as a left-tackle prospect.

I don't know if that makes any sense. Someone will draft him as a tackle, and no ones over drafting him to be a guard. I can't believe he would be there at 22, but maybe he will. Jonathon Martin won second best tackle without lifting a finger.

Brockers hurt himself with only 19 reps, and his 35 inch arms only make a small excuse. I wonder how that affects him in the top 10.

Luck and Griffin will go in the first. I think Tannehill will definitely be a first rounder, and I'm willing to bet Kirk Cousins sneaks in their too. If someone freaks out about the QBs being taken so early Weeden might be taken early second round too. That only helps the talent pool we choose from.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Brockers hurt himself with only 19 reps, and his 35 inch arms only make a small excuse. I wonder how that affects him in the top 10.
    This is usually the part of every off-season draft discussion where someone points out that Warren Sapp only did 17 reps and that power and explosion can't be measured in the bench press. I'll fall on this grenade.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I will add, Blackmon looked very smooth running the gauntlet and made some nice catches (no less with a bad hammy). I really want him.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    This is usually the part of every off-season draft discussion where someone points out that Warren Sapp only did 17 reps and that power and explosion can't be measured in the bench press. I'll fall on this grenade.
    Nice point you bring up DE. I didnt know Sapp only put it up 17 times.

Poe put it up 44 times.

Rammed is online now Registered User

Seems the Bengals found a new CB! Or a headcase for Fisher he had a couple in the past

Clark Judge

Janoris Jenkins: Honesty is a good thing, especially with NFL teams who will find out about players no matter what. But that doesn't mean that Jenkins looked good*when he told reporters that he has three arrests on his records and four kids at the age of 23. And even though he said he's done with marijuana "forever," there are going to be a lot more questions coming his way from teams. At least those that still even have him on their draft board.

Peter King

I think whoever takes Janoris Jenkins, the former Florida cornerback who finished his career at North Alabama, is going to have some sleepless nights. He's 23. He's a top talent, and likely will go in the first round. He's also been arrested three times, once for a bar fight and twice for marijuana possession. He has four children three or younger (Janoris Jr., Legend, Janorian and Paris) by three different mothers. "I've made a few mistakes and I've learned from them,'' he said at the combine. Question is, who will take a shot on a very good talent at a vital position, who is such a risk?
    Last edited by Rammed; -02-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    And Jared Allen only did something like 11 or 12, maybe 13. Some crazy low number for a DL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I will add, Blackmon looked very smooth running the gauntlet and made some nice catches (no less with a bad hammy). I really want him.
    Yeah, I thought Blackmon looked very sharp in drills. Looked fluid running routes and catching the ball as well. It was a good decision for him to do something at the Combine rather than sit the whole thing out. I'm anxious to see how he runs at his pro day. If he runs well and the Browns aren't the ones who move up for RGIII, I think Cleveland would be very interested in him @ 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And Jared Allen only did something like 11 or 12, maybe 13. Some crazy low number for a DL.
    Jared Allen did 13 reps as a prospect.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Dontario Poe is a heck of an athlete, to go with his great strength. I think he is worth a look by Fishead. Im not sure how Fisher likes his D-lineman though. ??
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Dontario Poe is a heck of an athlete, to go with his great strength. I think he is worth a look by Fishead.
    Heck of an athlete, really knocking the Combine out of the park with the numbers he's putting up. But you've got to wonder why someone with his physical talent didn't do more in the C-USA.

Any 3-4 teams picking in the teens in need of some DL help are probably salivating, though. A lot of people are viewing him as a nose, but I think he'd be fine as a five-technique end as well. Certainly has the size and strength for it.

Sounds like some of the DL prospects have really been shining today. I'm not in front of a TV to watch the coverage, but I'm hearing good reports about Fletcher Cox, Brockers, Ingram, Upshaw, and Coples.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Poe just ran a 4.87.

Brockers with a 5.33

Cox with 4.79. cox's 10-yard split was 1.63 - tied with coples and irvin. wow. tied for third behind branch and crawford.

Sapp said of all the D-linemen prospect Cox reminded him of himself the most.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -02-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast