Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Official 2012 NFL Combine Thread

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: The Official 2012 NFL Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Heck of an athlete, really knocking the Combine out of the park with the numbers he's putting up. But you've got to wonder why someone with his physical talent didn't do more in the C-USA.

Any 3-4 teams picking in the teens in need of some DL help are probably salivating, though. A lot of people are viewing him as a nose, but I think he'd be fine as a five-technique end as well. Certainly has the size and strength for it.

Sounds like some of the DL prospects have really been shining today. I'm not in front of a TV to watch the coverage, but I'm hearing good reports about Fletcher Cox, Brockers, Ingram, Upshaw, and Coples.
    I think just as long as a lineman is athletic enough, then the bigger the better. Short arms dont really help though. It doesnt add up having all that raw talent, and not showing up in that conference. Id like to think the Rams will grab a DT this year, so I hope its a strong crowd. Thanks for filling in the gaps Nick.

P.s. Watching the combine on NFL.com is a nightmare, so I know less than you.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Sapp had 19.5 sacks in 3 seasons at Miami and ran like a 4.7 or 4.8 40 yard dash. He showed explosiveness and had success as a rusher.

I like Brockers and his stoutness against the run (and his ability to two gap), but he would be going in the top 10 purely on upside. I don't know how many sacks he had in his third year, but he had 0 in his first year playing and 2 this year. He didn't show that he has the strength and explosiveness to become a monster pass rusher, other than his size and body type. I'm not sure he separated himself enough from Still, Poe, and Cox since experts have been looking for a number 1 DT since the season ended.

I don't really want Poe, but wow is he ever athletic for his size.
    I'm a fan of Reyes and a couple weeks ago I thought we could get a steal in the third round. Now he might be a first round pick. Don't know if I like him that much.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Heart, passion and worth ethic show up on the field. Poe appears to be a tremendous athletic talent (freakish) but since his production is lacking against lesser talent, I'd question the passion and work ethic.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Two notes:

1- Very excited for DBs tomorrow to see Mo Claiborne. My ideal scenario is Justin Blackmon or Claiborne in round one.

2- Vontaze Burfict is an absolute embarrassment. A ridiculous amount of god given talent that you just throw out. Ran a 5.01...Poe ran a 4.9 and is 100 pounds heavier. Then suddenly, Burfict just vanished from on-field drills and didn't perform any. Also interviewed poorly. As Tom Petty sang, "Free Falling".

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A guy climbing my charts is Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina. He measured at 6 feet, 1/2 inch and weighed in at 190 lbs. His official 40 time: 4.40. At this point, he's clearly vaulted over Alfonzo Dennard and is battling Janoris Jenkins for the No. 3 CB on the board (behind Claiborne and Kirkpatrick). I'd say he has a late first/early second grade.
    lostsoul likes this.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A guy climbing my charts is Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina. He measured at 6 feet, 1/2 inch and weighed in at 190 lbs. His official 40 time: 4.40. At this point, he's clearly vaulted over Alfonzo Dennard and is battling Janoris Jenkins for the No. 3 CB on the board (behind Claiborne and Kirkpatrick). I'd say he has a late first/early second grade.
    I think Trumaine Johnson will go in the first as well, and someone might take Jenkins just because of his ability. Could be 5 CBs in the first round.

After WR Kendall Wright ran the horrible 40 I thought it wouldn't change that much since he's so explosive on tape. At his pro day he has another chance to wright the ship
    From Rotoworld -
    The Sideline View's Adam Caplan suggests Baylor WR Kendall Wright's slow "official" (4.61) forty time at the Combine was due in large part to an inability to get cleanly out of his stance.
    "Keep in mind he won't be playing out of a track stance at the next level," wrote Caplan. Wright was hand-timed as fast as 4.45, and he plays in the 4.3-4.4 range in games. "He’s the most explosive wide receiver in this draft and it’s not even close," Caplan adds. "...Any scouting staff that drops his draft grade significantly after one subpar workout should not keep their jobs."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    After WR Kendall Wright ran the horrible 40 I thought it wouldn't change that much since he's so explosive on tape. At his pro day he has another chance to wright the ship
    As I see it, there are two categories of prospects.

Prospects whose workouts accurately represent their on-field play.
    Prospects whose workouts do not accurately represent their on-field play.

In Wright's case, I don't think his slow forty time accurately represented his on-field play. I feel as if he plays faster than a 4.6 forty would lead you to believe. So then you have to ask yourself, why did he test poorly? I think the "trouble out of the gate" excuse is probably accurate. Every year, we see guys struggle with that set-up when running, and it costs them time.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

How did Ronnie Hillman do? Anyone know?

JM7
    JM7 is offline Registered User

I didn't catch Hillman in positional drills, but he ran a 4.45 and had a 37 inch vertical, some pretty solid numbers.
    San Diego Ram likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Mo Claiborne looked awesome. Deion Sanders was raving about him, saying his only weakness is that he plays a little high, but that can easily be coached up. Said he has elite talent.

At the end of the 2012 Scouting Combine, it is a 2-man race for who I want most:
    1- Justin Blackmon
    2- Morris Claiborne.

Really why I am PRAYING Cleveland mans up and trades with us. I find them as a MUCH better trading partner than Washington. Washington the best player left may be TRich. With Cleveland, we are GUARANTEED one of Blackmon, Claiborne or Kalil (who most likely goes 3).

Overall though, great combine as always and I look forward to seeing how the off-season progresses. How it goes, will determine who I want. If we sign a Finnegan, then I will 100% want Blackmon. If we sign a Colston, then I will more than likely lean towards Claiborne with the pick.

Don't think we go wrong with either, though I think at the end of the day Claiborne may have the better career.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    How did Ronnie Hillman do? Anyone know?
    I was impressed with Ronnie Hillman. He looked one of the smoothest athletes of all the RB's, in the drills. Wilson was the most impressive athlete I saw, though. Followed closely by Boise State's Martin, and his powerful stature.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345