Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

Everybody sing along!

Sign, sign... someone better sign.
    All this Twitter nonsense is twisting my mind.
    Visits, who gives a crap?
    Can't somebody just sign!?!?
    Nick and RAMarkable like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Everybody sing along!

Sign, sign... someone better sign.
    All this Twitter nonsense is twisting my mind.
    Visits, who gives a crap?
    Can't somebody just sign!?!?

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Wrong song...

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed, especially considering Meachem was had for less.
    You'd honestly rather have Meachem over Manningham? Meachem hasn't proven squat over his whole NFL career, whereas Manningham proved he is a legit WR last season (Pre-Cruz) with 940+ yards and 9 touchdowns.

I'll take Manningham any day over Meachem.

Super Mario was my #2 available WR behind VJax (since Colston signed before FA)

We CANNOT let him leave without a contract. Pair him up with hopefully Blackmon in round 1, or at worst Stephen Hill in round 2/round 1 trade up, and I'd suddenly feel very happy about our 2012 WR crew

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

Hallways of Rams Park literally jammed with free agent visitors: Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Shaun Hill, Scott Wells, Travelle Wharton.
    This tweet got me all excited. I would literally love signing every person in this list.

Fisher: "Ok, everyone time for a quick fire drill into Les' office."
    Les: "Standard Procedure for Free Agency Visit."
    *Move into Les' office*
    Fisher: "Cortland, get the door."
    *Finnegan closes door*
    Les: (Nods head as always) "Alright gentlemen, time to talk contract."
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone is big on Mario just because of his super bowl catch. I was upset when he slid to the 3rd round 4 years ago and we missed him. I've watch quite a few games of his as well, and one catch in the superbowl wouldn't sway my opinion on anyone.

With the money that's been thrown at WRs so far, and how badly we need a WR, I don't think 6-7 mil for Manningham would be TOO bad depending on the amount guaranteed. Probably could sign him for less, since no one is rushing to sign him, but do the Rams want to risk lossing him? Only problem is some people think he might still have knee problems. While every team needs at least 1-2 possesion WRs, they also need explosive ones. I think we need a deep threat more than another slow receiver who's specialty is running good routes. For people that want us to get a weapon on offense. This is our guy (if healthy).
    Last edited by md8; -03-16-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    You'd honestly rather have Meachem over Manningham?
    Yup.

Both have had consistency issues during their pro careers, but Meachem has superior physical tools and I think is going to benefit from a change of scenery and the opportunity to prove himself. I think he has a higher ceiling as a potential #1-type receiver, and hasn't had as much opportunity to show it in New Orleans while playing in an offense that has a lot of talent they like to spread the ball to.

Manningham feels he's already proved himself a #1 receiver (he hasn't) and wants to be paid like one as he's seeking a contract in the range of $7-8 million annually. He has a lesser set of physical tools to work with, and I question whether he's going to put it together mentally to overcome those consistency issues. He's the kind of player that I'm worried would get a big contract and then underachieve after his payday.

So yeah, if I'm going to pay either of them $6-8 million annually to be this team's top receiver, I'd rather it be Meachem than Manningham. If the Rams can get Manningham for less than what Meachem signed for, then I'm more open to the idea. While I'm not particularly high on him, we are at a point in free agency where he's one of the best remaining receivers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yup.

Both have had consistency issues during their pro careers, but Meachem has superior physical tools and I think is going to benefit from a change of scenery and the opportunity to prove himself. I think he has a higher ceiling as a potential #1-type receiver, and hasn't had as much opportunity to show it in New Orleans while playing in an offense that has a lot of talent they like to spread the ball to.

Manningham feels he's already proved himself a #1 receiver (he hasn't) and wants to be paid like one as he's seeking a contract in the range of $7-8 million annually. He has a lesser set of physical tools to work with, and I question whether he's going to put it together mentally to overcome those consistency issues. He's the kind of player that I'm worried would get a big contract and then underachieve after his payday.

So yeah, if I'm going to pay either of them $6-8 million annually to be this team's top receiver, I'd rather it be Meachem than Manningham. If the Rams can get Manningham for less than what Meachem signed for, then I'm more open to the idea. While I'm not particularly high on him, we are at a point in free agency where he's one of the best remaining receivers.
    I have to be honest... while I'd be happy to see the Rams sign Manningham, and I would have been happy if they signed Meachem, neither player (borrowing a phrase from the late Jim Mandich) makes my toes tingle.

This is classic supply/demand economics. The demand for WRs was great but, after Bowe was franchised and Colston and Wayne re-signed, the supply of No. 1 WRs was reduced to arguably only one player, VJax. As a result, some No. 2 guys (Garcon, Meachem, possibly Manningham) are able to get big $ contracts.

To me, this is exactly why the Rams cannot pass on Blackmon if he is available. The best way to get an elite WR, at a young age and at the right price is to draft one.
    ramsbruce, Tampa_Ram and berg8309 like this.

To me, this is exactly why the Rams cannot pass on Blackmon if he is available. The best way to get an elite WR, at a young age and at the right price is to draft one.
    Couldn't agree more.
    ramsbruce likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Completely agree. FA is for plugging holes only, if you try to build your team with it, you'll run out cap space fast.

Dolphins DL Langford left the Bengals' facilities this morning; he had previously scheduled a visit with the Rams so we'll see if he's on his way.

Cincinnati left guard Nate Livings is visiting the Rams. He turns 30-years-old today and has started the last two seasons for the Bengals.

Thomas is now reporting that Langford is at Rams Park.

Frankly, I'd rank him only a hair below Jones, so if his price is substantially more reasonable, I'd pull the trigger on him and move on to the next position.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Thomas is now reporting that Langford is at Rams Park.

Frankly, I'd rank him only a hair below Jones, so if his price is substantially more reasonable, I'd pull the trigger on him and move on to the next position.
    surprised the Phins let him walk and that other 3-4 teams haven`t chased him more aggressively. as for him coming to us.i guess all that we can do is hope that the change of role wont make him a lesser player.

Jim Thomas-
    Yes, Denver free agent QB Brady Quinn was at Rams Park yesterday. He threw to Philly free agent WR Steve Smith. Quinn is with Jets today.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Cincinnati left guard Nate Livings is visiting the Rams. He turns 30-years-old today and has started the last two seasons for the Bengals.
    the Bengals have had some underated interior linemen in recent years IMHO and Livings is one of them...for me i`d say that being on the Bengals or Browns O-line is one of the toughest gigs in football,a quarter of your season is spent trying to keep the Ravens and Steelers D`s from hitting your lil guys. it does probably breed better linemen tho through trial by fire.

Pro Football Focus rated Livings in the 50s in terms of best guards in the league last year and the year before. That'd still be an upgrade over the Bell/Brown left guard combo from last year though, as they ranked in the 60s.