Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

I think the way we should look at it. If we want Claiborne don't sign Porter.

If we sign Porter that means we don't mind drafting someone other than Claiborne. If Blackmons available then thats perfect, if not then trade down

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post

If we sign Porter that means we don't mind drafting someone other than Claiborne. If Blackmons available then thats perfect, if not then trade down
    I think going into the draft relying on a draft pick to fill a hole on your team is a bad way to do business. Even with the possibility of drafting Claiborne, you should sign someone like Porter. Then let them battle it out in camp, letting Claiborne learn the defence and how to play in the NFL.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post

I think your right. If we get Porter no Claiborne.

I do think that if Richardson or Blackmon are still on the Board we'll pick one of them. But if Blackmon isnt there i have no problem moving down.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You keep using the word "reach." I do not think it means what you think it means.
    'Reach' means that a player who is ranked lower than other players is taken above those higher ranked players. If the grade is very close, or the ranking is close (6th ranked player taken over 4th ranked player) it doesn't matter.

In this situation, Claiborne is clearly a better prospect and it isn't even close. Reilly Reiff, Fletcher Cox, Jonathan Martin, David DeCastro, Dontari Poe and Michael Floyd aren't anywhere near as good as Claiborne. Its a reach for that reason, AND because a trade back would land any one of those players anyway. It would also be considered a reach if a player is taken at 10, for example, when they would still easily be there at 17.

Of all those players, DeCastro is the only one who's play dictates he be a top ten pick. However, I'm pretty sure there has never been a guard taken in the top 10.

Poe has unimpressive gametape and is the defensive version of Stephen Hill. Taking either one in the top 15 is a huge gamble. Fletcher Cox is alright, but he has barely separated himself from any of the other top DTs that are all going to be taken much farther down then he would be taken at 6.

I don't like Reiff and a prospect and I don't think he can hold up at tackle against superior competition. I also don't see the mean tough guy streak everyone else does. Jonathon Martin is liked by some and hated by others. I think he is a better prospect than Reiff, but taking him over Claiborne is a colossal reach based on the need at tackle. If you can say anyone of those players (besides DeCastro) has a grade close to Claiborne you're joking yourself.

By the way, teams shouldn't change the way they draft because of FA signings, especially pedestrian ones like signing Porter to be a #3 CB. You take BPA unless it's close, and then you take the position that makes most impact in a game. The person who improves the team the most. If the Rams had the same grade on Doug Martin and Stephen Hill in the 2nd round (and missed out and Blackmon), Stephen Hill would be the pick, easily.

*Note - the Rams are interested in Porter because they have zero shot at Claiborne. The Vikings might take him, the Browns are a dark horse to take him, and the Bucs will absolutely take him no questions asked.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    So if we were to sign porter, and then Claiborne was the guy left at our turn, what would we do?
    If we get porter and claiborne is the guy that remains i think if the trade down is not possible jump all over Michael Brockers the guy is so physically gifted and powerful with his bull rush...forget about the entire "reach" concept you draft the player that you think will provide the biggest impact on your team not the guy "experts" rank a certain way...Brockers will complete our D-line and the giants showed just how big an impact the D-line is there secondary was awful there linebackers were average yet they won the superbowl

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    'Reach' means that a player who is ranked lower than other players is taken above those higher ranked players. If the grade is very close, or the ranking is close (6th ranked player taken over 4th ranked player) it doesn't matter.
    I got a question for you; WHo is doing all this ranking bs? A GM and coach that are building a team or some guy who claims he knows so much about college athletes can physically tell us who will bust and who wont?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep this thread on topic, folks.

This is for Rams FA news, rumors, etc.
    THOLTFAN81 and FolsomFan like this.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

Just read a Jim Thomas Tweet saying that the Rams were still interested in Steve Smith. Anyone one know if he's healthy? Him and Blackmon would instantly give us a #1 and a decent #2, and with Amendola/Salas in the slot with DX as a 4 receiver set it wouldnt be the same ol' Rams lining up.

I really hope they get this guy if he is healthy. Also Tracy Porter is a guy id love to see in Horns......and i bet he would like to pop Marshawn Lynch in the mouth for making him look like a fool 2 years ago in the playoffs

as always GO RAMS

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Also Tracy Porter is a guy id love to see in Horns......and i bet he would like to pop Marshawn Lynch in the mouth for making him look like a fool 2 years ago in the playoffs
    But only if he does so gently; don't want to risk the wrath of Goodell.
    FolsomFan and GROUND DOG 39 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Porter is not getting signed until he's cleared and will not get suspended and if he's getting suspended I would imagine he will come cheap.

According to the Canton Repository, Browns president Mike Holmgren "would rather not burn" the No. 4 overall pick on a wide receiver.
    The only receiver in the 2012 draft considered by some to be worth a top-five pick is Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon. After selecting the best player available at No. 4, the Browns could wait for a wide receiver like Kendall Wright (Baylor), Rueben Randle (LSU) or Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech) at the No. 22 pick.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    According to the Canton Repository, Browns president Mike Holmgren "would rather not burn" the No. 4 overall pick on a wide receiver.
    The only receiver in the 2012 draft considered by some to be worth a top-five pick is Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon. After selecting the best player available at No. 4, the Browns could wait for a wide receiver like Kendall Wright (Baylor), Rueben Randle (LSU) or Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech) at the No. 22 pick.
    This is where league sources and truth come together, after the tradewhine I wouldn't believe it coming out of his mouth in person. Here's why Les did a good job as 'straightshooter' : credibility.

The Rams will host free agent LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar on Thursday.
    St. Louis lost defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to an indefinite suspension, but it hasn't stopped pursuing his former players. Dunbar can play middle and strong-side linebacker. He started 14 games for New Orleans last season.
    Related: Saints
    Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

San Francisco free-agent offensive guard Chilo Rachal visiting Rams. He has 38 starts in 4 seasons with *****. Rams need starting left guard -- Jim Thomas (@jthom1)

#Rams hosting free agent OG Chilo Rachal, per @JThom1. Was 39th overall pick in '08 draft. Looked like future stud just a few years ago. -- Evan Silva (@evansilva)
    Last edited by Rammed; -03-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    San Francisco free-agent offensive guard Chilo Rachal visiting Rams. He has 38 starts in 4 seasons with *****. Rams need starting left guard -- Jim Thomas (@jthom1)
    A former second round(39) pick in 2008 by the *****. Rachal is a 6-5 and 323 lbs guard out of S.Cal.