throwback week

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Official 2012 St. Louis Rams Free Agent News Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh I agree, there's still a lot of time left in this free agency period and the draft. No one should be in panic mode yet, because I anticipate the Rams will do something to address the position at some point.

But thus far, what we know is that the Rams have expressed interest in three receivers, and all three have gone elsewhere. Use whatever wording you want, but that's the reality of the situation to date.
    Thanks for the recap.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree with that characterization. The at bat is far from over.
    I am glad the Rams didn't pay silly money for a free agent wide receiver. I'd rather characterize the "at bat" at worst as a walk. There's a difference between kicking the tires and offering a contract. The draft is still the best way to build a team, and it appears that Les and Fish feel there is a decent group of receivers out there come draft day. We may yet sign or trade for a receiver, but if we don't, there is some decent talent that should be available in rounds 2 through 4. Fish and Snead are hopefully light years ahead of the likes of Martz, Zygmunt/Shaw, Spagnolo/Devaney (their 1st rodeo as HC & GM).

Stan K. didn't become a billionaire by accident. It was Stan's wisdom and experience that brought Fish and Snead here. All three agree the best way to build a team is through the draft. We've got a lot of choices over the next 3 years, so let's give these guys a chance. I am going to resist the urge to second guess every personnel move these guys make or don't make. The Rams are under their watch now - perhaps we should stand back a bit and give them their due .. This is certainly not their first rodeo. Not Stan, not Jeff Fisher, and not Les, although it is his first while wearing the GM title. Les acquitted himself pretty well in the trade with the Redskins, and probably strengthened his credibility around the league (IMO), by actually telling each team who coveted our #2 overall pick, that he wouldn't play them off against one another, rather he said to each of them respectively: Make your very best offer, and I will take the best one - period.

I believe we will get some great players in the upcoming 2012 draft. We may not get our "fan favorites," but when all is said and done, we should come away with some very good football players. My personal hope is that we find a couple of serviceable veterans to plug in on both sides of our lines, and maybe a safety or outside linebacker. Finnegan was a good start!
    viper and PacFish like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sounds like Jason Jones may leave and make that free agent visit in Seattle after all.

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/sta...89132058173440
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Do you think this is a bargaining manouvre on behalf of Jones' agent to get more money?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Surprised at the lack of interest manningham is receiving, yet meachem and garçon signed inflated contracts on the first day.

A winner with good career stats. I wonder if we've inquired. I'd much rather have Super Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Do you think this is a bargaining manouvre on behalf of Jones' agent to get more money?
    I believe there is legitimate interest there, as Seattle wants a pass rusher next to NT Brandon Mebane on the interior of the DL. I'm sure the scheduled visit to Seattle came up while negotiating with the Rams, though.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    You're kidding right? If I was a free agent player and my agent told me several teams were interested in me, I'd want to know what each one was willing to offer. The agent is doing his best to earn his percentage fee as he should be.

As I said in another thread: Fisher knows this guy well, and probably made an offer commensurate with his perception of Jason's ability to help the Rams. This is precisely what Jeff and Les should basing their offers on to any free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Surprised at the lack of interest manningham is receiving, yet meachem and garçon signed inflated contracts on the first day.

A winner with good career stats. I wonder if we've inquired. I'd much rather have Super Mario.
    Meachem's deal averages out to less than $6.5 million per year; in this market, I don't think that's inflated for a guy that's going to fill the #1 WR role.

Schefter just tweeted that San Fran, Miami, and Buffalo are all having early conversations with Manningham.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Sounds like Jason Jones may leave and make that free agent visit in Seattle after all.

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/sta...89132058173440
    not sure how you arrived at Jones may leave and make the visit from this tweet: Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
    Follow

#Rams can't afford to let Jason Jones get away to #Seahawks. Premium young interior rusher. Would hurt STL, help division rival.

I read this as we better sign him or the Seahawks will get better..

Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

Tennessee defensive lineman Jason Jones has not yet agreed to terms, but is in the building at Rams Park.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    not sure how you arrived at Jones may leave and make the visit from this tweet: Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
    Follow

#Rams can't afford to let Jason Jones get away to #Seahawks. Premium young interior rusher. Would hurt STL, help division rival.

I read this as we better sign him or the Seahawks will get better..
    https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfor...87039205343232

Jones has scheduled a visit with the Seahawks (which is what Silva is responding to). It's not a leap to assume that players who schedule additional visits "may" leave and actually make them.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wasn't Jones' meeting w/Seattle reported yesterday?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

I'm not at all interested in Mario Manningham, don't mind if we take a complete pass on him. A good possession receiver, but if we go after him hard to try to make him #1 or #2 receiver for next year, no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wasn't Jones' meeting w/Seattle reported yesterday?
    Yes, and given that the Rams went from possibly being able to sign him last night to still negotiating and possibly being wrapped up as of this afternoon, I'm still not sure I see anything wrong with saying Jones may leave and make that free agent visit in Seattle after all.

How quickly things can turn i thought this was a slam dunk.

by Ryan Van Bibber on Mar 14, 2012 12:02 PM CDT in NFL Free Agents 2012

Tennessee Titans free agent defensive tackle Jason Jones was still in the building at Rams Park according to head coach Jeff Fisher. The St. Louis Rams are still in the process of wooing Jones, but it is far from a done deal, even after it was reported on Tuesday night that the team expected to have an agreement by morning. The Titans, according to Terry McCormick of the Tennessean, are very much still in the race to keep Jones.

Fisher praised Jones at his Wednesday morning press conference. It was all part of the team's pitch to get his signature, or at least nod of approval, on a contract to join the Rams.

Seattle is still interested in Jones, and has a visit scheduled sometime in the near future as well.

Jones fills a huge need for the Rams, who just released their two starting defensive tackles from last season to clear cap space and rebuild a younger roster. Not only that, he could make the team's pass rush a force to be reckoned with in 2012.

Check out what NFL Films guru Greg Cosell had to say about Jones in comparison to Quinton Coples, the UNC prospect that leads the 2012 NFL Draft class of pass rushers:

Jones is best suited to the inside, and has had the most success in his career there. But thing about this move in terms of an impact for this season.

The Rams already have a solid foundation on defense, a couple of edge rushers, a stud corner and a top-notch middle linebacker. The unit had its share of problems last year, but it could be a very good defense in 2012 with a little health and the right moves. Getting Jones would only make it better, and capable of keeping the Rams competitive this year in case the offense is still getting caught up, which it probably will be.

Fisher and Snead are pretty competitive guys. I suspect Jason Jones can expect a full court press on Wednesday afternoon.

Yes, and given that the Rams went from possibly being able to sign him last night to still negotiating and possibly being wrapped up as of this afternoon, I'm still not sure I see anything wrong with saying Jones may leave and make that free agent visit in Seattle after all.
    No worries Nick... I just thought the link would lead to he has left the building without signing..
    Nick likes this.