Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

Here's a place to consolidate pro day reports and articles!

Re: The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

Aaron Donald validates dominant combine workout
    By Gil Brandt
    Published: March 3rd, 2014

Representatives from 30 NFL teams — including new Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien, as well as Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur — gathered at Pittsburgh’s pro day on March 3, where 10 players worked out indoors on FieldTurf.

Fast-rising 2014 NFL Draft prospect Aaron Donald (6-foot-1, 287 pounds) stood on his impressive numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran a 4.68-second 40-yard dash, had 35 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, registered a 32-inch vertical jump and 116-inch broad jump, and drew rave reviews for his performance.

Donald only went through field drills and looked very good, showing fluid movement and substantiating the performance he displayed at the combine.

There were two other players from Pitt at the combine, and here is how their pro days transpired:

Tom Savage, QB (6-4, 225) — Savage stood on his numbers from the combine, and only threw at the pro day. Savage displayed velocity on his throws, which were all to receiver Devin Street.

Street, WR (6-3 1/8, 195) — Street ran the 40-yard dash again, and improved on the 4.55 time recorded in Indianapolis. Street ran the 40 in 4.50 and 4.48 seconds at Pittsburgh’s pro day, and also did the 60-yard long shuttle in 11.25 seconds.

More on Savage...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Houston Texas coach Bill O'Brien at Pittsburgh pro-day for QB Tom Savage...requested Savage throw specific routes at the end of workout...

Entire Vikings coaching staff witnesses Minnesota’s pro day
    By Gil Brandt
    Published: March 3rd, 2014

Representatives from 20 NFL teams — including the entire coaching staff for the Minnesota Vikings — were on hand for Minnesota’s pro day on March 3 to see 25 players work out indoors on FieldTurf.

Ra’Shede Hageman, DT (6-foot-6, 311 pounds) — stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine and only went through position drills.

Brock Vereen, FS (6-0, 199) — Vereen was at the combine, stood on his numbers from that event and only did position drills at Minnesota’s pro day.

Aaron Hill, LB (6-0 5/8, 231) — Hill ran the 40-yard dash in 4.64 and 4.69 seconds. He was not at the combine and is a priority free-agent pickup possibility following the 2014 NFL Draft.

A player from Concordia of Minnesota also participated in the pro day.

Zach Moore, DE — Moore kept his height and weight (6-5, 269), as well as his other numbers, from the combine. He only participated in position drills. Moore lacks experience, but has some upside as a player due to his height/weight/speed combination (he ran a 4.84 40 at the combine). Moore set a school record for sacks with 33, including 14 sacks in 2012 (the fourth-highest total in Division II football).

RealRam is online now Registered User

More on Donald...

Former Pitt players meet NFL scouts, coaches at pro day
    By Jerry DiPaola / Pitt Football Reporter / Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Monday, March 3, 2014, 10:17 p.m.
    Updated 16 minutes ago

Aaron Donald said he doesn't know if he will get invited to the NFL Draft on May 8 when he is
    expected to be among the first defensive players selected.

But just like all other times in his life, he won't be caught unprepared.
    “I got a couple of suits ready,” he said.

Donald concluded the formal part of his draft preparations Monday when he joined nine of his former Pitt teammates at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex in a workout session for NFL scouts. Twenty-eight teams were represented, including coaches Bill O'Brien of the Houston Texans and Chip Kelly of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Donald, who ran a 4.68-second 40-yard dash and lifted 225 pounds 35 times Feb. 24 at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, said he believed he had little to prove after dominant efforts during the season for Pitt and in the Senior Bowl. Chances are he might not have matched his combine efforts Monday and only managed to raise questions before the draft.

“I retired my ‘40' cleats,” he said. “I know what I did. I was happy with my time.”

Donald, though, said he is unsatisfied and will remain that way until he retires.

“Right now, I have a lot of work to do,” he said.

Donald, who said he gained 2 pounds to 287 since the combine, has spoken with most NFL teams in the past two months, including the Bengals, who gave him five words to remember at the start of the interview and asked him to repeat them at the end.

“I got three out of five,” he said.

[Former Pitt wide receiver Devin Street said he was asked how many uses he could find for a paper clip in a minute (seven) and whether he would rather be a cat or a dog (he chose dog because, he said, it's more aggressive).

“They want to know what's upstairs,” Street said.

Street said he improved from the combine in two important drills, the 40 and the 3-cone shuttle.

“A lot of teams had me at 4.46, in between 4.46 and 4.50,” he said after running a 4.55 40 last week.

He said his shuttle time went from 6.89 to 6.65 seconds, something that indicates how quickly he can get in and out of breaks.

“It's all about the progressions,” he said. “I don't want to be second best. Now, everyone is working for checks. The ante is higher.”

Other Pitt seniors who worked out Monday were quarterback Tom Savage, linebacker Shane Gordon, defensive tackle Ty Ezell, cornerback K'Waun Williams, linebacker Emanuel Rackard, wide receiver Ed Tinker, safety Jason Hendricks and punter Matt Yoklic.

Ezell measured in at 6-foot-3, 310 pounds, and he recorded 21 lifts.
    “I feel like I'm pretty marketable already,” said Ezell, a Steel Valley graduate. “I just have to work on my pass rush and get stronger.”

Ezell said he has a Plan B if he can't secure an NFL contract: professional wrestling. He already has chosen a persona.

“I want to be a bad guy,” he said. “It's more fun. You get to do whatever you want and say whatever you want.”]

Brackets mine
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-04-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Paragraph correction

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 14m

Rams met with Matthews after pro day.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Any word on if they spent time with Evans as well? I heard Snead was there as well as scouts.

Rambos is offline Registered User

2014 Pro Days: Texas A&M OT Matthews draws crowd
    By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
    March 5, 2014 12:17 pm ET

For the second consecutive day, the St. Louis Rams were front and center leading the pro day workout of a top-ranked offensive tackle.

After directing Auburn's Greg Robinson, NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2 overall prospect, through his position-specific routine Tuesday, Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau pushed Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews -- our third-ranked prospect -- through drills in College Station, Texas, at the Aggies' pro day Wednesday.

The Rams contingent included general manager Les Snead, widely regarded as the top target to deal down in the 2014 draft from No. 2. Because St. Louis is set at defensive end and, as the Rams maintain, quarterback, moving down would open the possibility of drafting Matthews, projected to be drafted anywhere from No. 6-12. Boudreau is a 27-year veteran with a notable list of first-round pick pupils including seven-time Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace, left tackle Todd Steussie (Vikings, Panthers) and Lomas Brown (Lions).

"I want to reiterate what I've put on film all year," Matthews said last month. "I want to put up good numbers and show I'm the best tackle."

Bills general manager Doug Whaley and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert -- teams with needs at offensive tackle -- were also spotted Wednesday. The Atlanta Falcons were represented and general manager Thomas Dimitroff has spoken highly of Matthews. Atlanta owns the sixth overall pick; the Bills pick ninth.

The son of 19-year NFL veteran and Hall of Fame tackle Bruce Matthews, Jake played right tackle -- 33 consecutive starts -- until shifting to the left side to replaced 2013 second overall pick Luke Joeckel.

Like Joeckel, Matthews is just 22 years old, technically sound and athletic enough to remain at left tackle regardless of offensive scheme. In direct comparisons with Robinson, many observers give Robinson the runaway advantage. Matthews is still a solid athlete. He was a high school quarterback until he grew into an offensive lineman's frame midway through his sophomore season. Scouts see him as a plug-and-play left tackle, but he could line up at any of the five offensive line positions and succeed.

He is one of three Aggies with first-round grades from NFLDraftScout.com. Quarterback Johnny Manziel and wide receiver Mike Evans were in attendance Wednesday but will wait to work out for teams until March 27.

Jake Matthews takes center stage at Texas A&M pro day
    Posted by Darin Gantt on March 6, 2014, 8:46 AM EST

With quarterback Johnny Manziel and wide receiver Mike Evans opting to work out for scouts on March 27 rather than at Texas A&M’s pro day yesterday, it still didn’t lack for star quality.

Because there’s a chance the highest-drafted Aggie was out there anyway.

Offensive tackle Jake Matthews was the big draw with the highlight-reel players on the sideline, but that was enough for many personnel men.

“We’re all here today because of the way [Jake] played,” Rams General Manager Les Snead said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “But just in the workout today, you can tell that the guy probably was in the crib doing this stuff and did it at the dinner table, it comes so natural to him. He knows what to expect at the next level, because his dad’s played in it, coached in it, so he’ll be able to handle all the weather that comes with the high-pressure job on the offensive line.”

The son of Hall of Fame guard Bruce Matthews (and nephew of Clay Jr., who has kids you may have heard of also) could be a top-five pick in his own right, however.

He had private meetings with the Rams (picking second) and Browns (picking fourth) after the workout. While the Browns figure to go quarterback early, Matthews is the kind of talent that would require their attention, even without the family background.

Matthews headlines A&M pro day

March, 6, 2014
    By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Jake Matthews bypassed his first opportunity to enter the NFL draft for two reasons.

One was to move over to left tackle after spending the previous three years as a right tackle and show NFL personnel he was versatile enough to handle both. The other was to play on the same offensive line with his younger brother, Mike, Texas A&M’s starting center in 2013.

By the end of the season and throughout the pre-draft process, Jake Matthews appears to be plenty happy with the decision he made to return to Aggieland for his senior year. On Wednesday, the latest in a long line of football-playing Matthews men took another step toward his future as a pro, headlining Texas A&M’s pro day at McFerrin Athletic Center.

Because he performed all drills last month at the NFL scouting combine, the 6-foot-5, 308-pound Matthews did not perform any of the same testing measures on Wednesday but performed several offensive line drills for scouts and NFL player personnel people.

“I thought I did well,” Matthews said afterward. “They put me through a bunch of different stuff and showcase what I'm capable of and that I'm able and I thought it went well."

After the pro day, he met with the St. Louis Rams and said he did some work on the whiteboard, among other things. The son of NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, Jake has numerous people in his own family to draw advice from in these types of situations.

"It helps a lot,” Matthews said. “It's kind of like I've been training for this process for my whole life. I think we calculated it earlier and I'm the seventh Matthews to go into the NFL. It's really humbling, especially being a part of this family and all the tradition with football that we have and such a great background: I'm truly blessed to be a part of it."

The opportunity to spend 11 out of 13 games starting at left tackle was something Matthews felt was valuable when it came to assessing his NFL future.

"It helped a lot, especially after playing three years of right tackle showing I was capable of going over and playing well on the left side,” Matthews said. “[It showed] how versatile I am and that I'm able and can do anything teams want me to do."

Most projections have Matthews going in the top 10 of the draft and possibly being the first offensive tackle drafted. He wasn’t the only potential first-round pick present at the pro day on Wednesday -- quarterback Johnny Manziel and receiver Mike Evans were in attendance too -- but both were simply there to support their other teammates performing and did not work out for scouts or NFL personnel. Both are performing at their own pro day on March 27 at Texas A&M and performed at the NFL combine last month.

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams were present at Texas A&M’s pro day.

Other Aggies performed at the pro day included Nate Askew, defensive tackle Kirby Ennis, cornerback Tramain Jacobs, linebacker Steven Jenkins, receiver Travis Labhart, running back Ben Malena and receiver Derel Walker. Because of their rehabilitation from injuries, tight end Nehemiah Hicks and defensive back Toney Hurd Jr. did not perform, and Ennis -- who is recovering from knee surgery -- performed only in the bench press.

Askew had perhaps the most impressive day among Aggies outside the “big three” projected first-rounders. The linebacker, who began his Texas A&M career as a receiver, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds and recorded a 38-inch vertical while measuring 6-foot-3 and weighing 241 pounds.

Malena, the Aggies’ leading running back the last two seasons, clocked 4.54 seconds in the 40 while checking in at 5-8 and 194 pounds. He also had the second-most repetitions in the bench press, lifting 225 pounds a total of 22 times.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-06-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Former Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson still aiming for No. 1 spot in NFL Draft
    Brandon Marcello
    on March 04, 2014 at 5:32 PM, updated March 04, 2014 at 5:38 PM

AUBURN, Alabama -- Where Greg Robinson lands in the NFL Draft does matter to the former Auburn left tackle.

Robinson is expected to be picked in the top 10, with many draft projections placing him second overall to the St. Louis Rams or sixth to the Atlanta Falcons.

"I think it would matter to anybody," Robinson said Tuesday at Auburn's Pro day. "As high as I can go, that's my goal. I gave it my all. Hopefully the highest -- well the No. 1 pick, hopefully they'll take me. I always want the best for myself and I felt I worked for it so wherever I go, that's where I go."

Robinson did not participate in on-the-field workouts, but he did run some drills for teams Tuesday. All 32 NFL teams were represented at the pro day workouts.

Auburn's Greg Robinson aiming as high as No. 1 pick in NFL Draft Former Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson, with his stock soaring, hopes to be drafted as high as he can go.

The question for Robinson, who wowed scouts and coaches at the NFL Combine, is whether he can supplant Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater or South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney as the Houston Texans' No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

Four Auburn players have been selected No. 1 overall in the school's history.

"They are highly-(rated) players and they deserve the same, but it's all about need really in the league," Robinson said. "So I've just been hearing a lot of things and it's a possibility that I can go No. 1 but I don't know. As far as Clowney and all the rest of them, I don't really know what they've been doing and which coaches like them but it's fair game really. You never know."

Robinson said the Texans "gave me love" at the NFL Combine.

Robinson said last week the Texans met with the St. Louis Rams and Pittsburgh Steelers following Auburn's Pro Day. He spent a lot of time with the Rams during and after Pro Day workouts.

"We were just trying to get to know each other because we only had 15 minutes when I was in Indianapolis," Robinson said. "He was just trying to pick my brain and test me on football and stuff like that."

Robinson stuck with his impressive numbers in the 40-yard dash (4.92) and bench press (32 reps) from the combine instead of trying to improve upon those numbers Tuesday.

Several NFL analyst, including ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, moved Robinson ahead of Texas A&M's Jake Matthews as the best tackle in the draft. NFL Network's Mike Mayock did the same Monday.

Robinson is scheduled to work out with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who own the seventh overall pick, on Friday.

"Greg Robinson is one of the more talented players, not just linemen, but talented players in the whole draft," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "The more he tests, I think the more that's seen. When they add that with the film that they watch, that's the reason you're hearing a lot of people talk about his name."

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's an ESPN report on Clemson's Pro Day:

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Quarterback Tajh Boyd had a strong showing at Clemson's pro day Thursday and felt he erased some of the doubts about his skills that have cropped up since the season ended.
    Boyd, consensus top-10 pick Sammy Watkins and 6-foot-5 receiver Martavis Bryant were among the ex-Tigers who auditioned for some 60 NFL personnel, including New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and recently hired Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell.
    Watkins was as smooth as expected catching the ball while Boyd looked like his record-setting college self in about 20 minutes of throwing.
    "I feel like I answered a lot of questions today," Boyd said. "I'm looking forward to see how everything plays out."
    Boyd had thrown for nearly 12,000 yards and an Atlantic Coast Conference-record 107 touchdowns his four years with the Tigers. He entered last season as the face of the program, a Heisman Trophy contender and likely first-round draft choice. But Boyd's stock started sliding after Clemson's 51-14 loss to national champion Florida State at Death Valley in October.
    Boyd took another hit in January when he was just 7 of 16 for 31 yards and an interception and the Senior Bowl.
    This time, Boyd took full advantage of the home field and familiar receivers he's worked with for years in Watkins, Bryant, ex-Clemson tight end Brandon Ford and last year's 1,000-yard rusher for the Tigers, Rod McDowell.
    Boyd was on target on short routes, middle routes and long routes as dozens of NFL scouts took notes on his style.
    "I wanted the guys to see he could make those throws and he put in on the money every time," said Ken Mastrole, the former Maryland quarterback who tutored Boyd the past few months.
    St. Louis general manager Les Snead was impressed with Boyd's latest workout.
    "Compared with the combine, you knew he knew these receivers," Snead said. "I don't think the ball hit the ground once."
    Boyd said throwing in Clemson's indoor facility made him more comfortable than in Indianapolis last month.
    "There are obviously reasons why things happened" at the Senior Bowl and the combine, he said. "The scouts told me this was a great workout, so I'm just going to keep pushing."
    No pushing necessary for Watkins, who stood on his time on his 40-yard dash time of 4.43 seconds at the combine. He didn't really need to show off his pass catching ability, but was there as much to support Boyd as impress NFL teams.
    "We probably had the prettiest, smoothest pro day out here today," Watkins said. "Of course, our leader, Tajh Boyd, put on a show."
    Watkins is considered the top available receiver in the draft. He's got sticky hands and a sprinter's speed to turn a simple swing pass into a long touchdown.
    Among the other general managers to attend were Doug Whaley of the Buffalo Bills, John Idzik of the Jets and Martin Mayhew of the Lions.
    St. Louis picks second, Buffalo ninth and Detroit 10th in May's draft.
    The Jets' Ryan, whose son Seth is a receiver at Clemson, said he'd like to add a wideout to the roster and coveted Watkins. "But there's no way he'll be there" when New York selects 18th.
    Watkins has several NFL meetings and individual workouts lined up over the next several weeks. "I'm getting ready to travel the world," he said, smiling.
    For now, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound receiver says he'll fine tune his route running and focus his mind on making as big a splash in the NFL as he did at Clemson when he was an All-American as a freshman.
    He doesn't care who picks him.
    "I'm willing to go to any team and try and have that instant impact," he said.
    Watkins, who gave up his final college season for the pros, set Clemson marks last season with 101 catches for 1,464 yards, both school records. He left with a flourish, catching 16 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns in the Tigers' 40-35 win over No. 6 Ohio State at the Orange Bowl this past January.
    The session brought out Clemson players past and present, including Bills running back C.J. Spiller. Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith attended and spoke briefly with Watkins.
    "I was just asking him about the transition to the pros," Watkins said. "He's one of the best."

2014 NFL Draft: Week 1 Pro Day takeaways
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    March 7, 2014 6:55 pm ET

The statistics generated at the annual scouting combine can border on information overload -- and that is with all of the players attending the workout competing in the same environment.

Pro Day workouts complicate the process. They're completed under varying conditions throughout the country and can be overblown. Only in rare occasions do the results of Pro Day workouts actually impact a player's stock.

As such, we've boiled down the five storylines from this week's Pro Day workouts that every NFL Draft fan needs to know.

5. Carey crashing? As the nation's leading rusher over the past two seasons, Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey entered the 2014 combine with plenty of hype. Concerns about whether his success was partially due to head coach Rich Rodriguez's spread offense were only increased with a disappointing workout in Indianapolis, including a 4.70-second time in the 40-yard dash.

Carey was unable to significantly improve on his time at his March 6 Pro Day, registering times varying from 4.66-4.69 in the all-important event and electing not to participate in shuttle drills at all.

Graded the top back in the class by many (including me) throughout much of the 2013 season, Carey's poor workouts and questions about his decision-making off the field could push him into Day 3 of the draft.

4. Dee gets his day: Auburn pass rusher Dee Ford terrorized opponents throughout the Tigers' run to the BCS title game and the Senior Bowl but the frightening news that came out of the combine centered on an old back injury rather than his athleticism, sidelining him for the biggest workout of his life.

"There is nothing wrong with Dee and he will show it," Adisa Bakari, Ford's agent, told the Sports Xchange on Monday. "He had a procedure on his back in 2011 and has played a lot of great football since then with no problem whatsoever. We were all surprised he was held out. There was no reason for it."

While teams will certainly rely on their own medical staff to determine Ford's long-term health, he showed off his unique blend of athleticism at his Pro Day, recording a 35-inch vertical, 10-foot-4 long jump, 29 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press and 4.59 on his first 40-yard dash attempt and 4.54 on his second after measuring in at 6-feet-2, 244 pounds.

3. Small frame, not game: Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward eased any concerns about his straight-line speed and toughness Friday as well, unofficially clocking in at 4.47 seconds in his two attempts at the 40-yard dash. How does that demonstrate his toughness? Ward informed scouts before running that he'll soon undergo surgery to insert a screw in his foot.

Speaking of tough defensive backs, TCU's Jason Verrett managed to post 19 repetitions of 225 pounds during his workout despite having a torn labrum in his shoulder. Best of all, the grit Verrett showed on the bench is reflected in his scrappy play on the field. Add this toughness and strength to the fact that Verrett was clocked at 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis and one can appreciate why he's viewed as a near lock to get selected in the first round despite his 5-9, 189-pound frame.

Ward, similarly built at 5-11, 193 pounds, is gaining traction as a top-32 pick himself.

2. Go Wildcats! Northwestern hasn't produced a first round pick at any position since 2005 (Luis Castillo) and only one quarterback in school history -- the legendary Otto Graham -- has ever earned the distinction of being drafted in the opening frame.

With the ever-increasing buzz surrounding Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo, the Wildcats might be able to at least boast they held a Pro Day with a highly regarded NFL passing prospect.

Garappolo was allowed to participate at Northwestern's on-campus workout because Eastern Illinois did not have a Pro Day workout of its own.

Garappolo threw for 45 minutes with San Francisco ***** head coach Jim Harbaugh and later conducted a private workout with the Houston Texans, who were represented by head coach Bill O'Brien and quarterback coach George Godsey.

Garappolo reportedly threw 36 passes -- 22 of which were specifically requested by NFL personnel -- to demonstrate his ability. He has enjoyed a steady rise up draft boards following an impressive showing at the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl and combine.

Intelligent, accurate and athletic, Garappolo is an ideal match in a timing-based offense -- just like the ones the Texans and ***** are expected to use in 2014.

1. Who needs a hamstring? Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier was unofficially clocked at 4.36 seconds in the 40-yard dash Friday despite struggling with a hamstring injury. The 6-1, 237-pound linebacker had previously wowed by leading the combine with a 42-inch vertical and -- oh, by the way -- led the Big Ten with 143 tackles this past season.

Shazier's workout was terrific but like every other linebacker in the 2014 draft, he's chasing Buffalo's Khalil Mack when it comes to draft position.

The 6-3, 251-pound Mack shaved over a 10th of a second off of his combine 40-yard dash time of 4.65 seconds, clocking in at 4.53-4.55 in his first attempt on campus. Because of minor hamstring tightness, Mack did not run a second 40 on Tuesday.

Like Shazier, production is not a question with Mack. He set school records for sacks (28) and FBS marks for tackles for loss (75) and forced fumbles (16) and kicked off his senior campaign in style with a dominating performance against Shazier's Buckeyes, recording 9 tackles, 2 sacks and an interception which he returned 45 yards for a score.

Mack is viewed as a top-six lock and is one of five players -- along with South Carolina's Jadaveon Clowney, Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, and quarterbacks Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) and Blake Bortles (Central Florida) -- that rank as legitimate candidates to be the No. 1 overall pick.

NFL ‘who’s who’ attends Ohio State pro day
    By Gil Brandt |
    Published: March 7th, 2014 | Tags: Ohio State, pro day

Ohio State’s pro day Friday drew probably the largest group of NFL scouts and personnel since 2004. There were 31 teams there, and I’m willing to bet that the one team that was not spotted, the Redskins, probably had a guy there, too.

There were general managers — Pittsburgh’s Kevin Colbert, Buffalo’s Doug Whaley and the Jets’ John Idzik among them — as well as head coaches, offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators. Rob Chudzinski, a former head coach who is now an assistant in Indianapolis, was there. Seven director of player personnels were there, including Duke Tobin of the Bengals and Rick Reiprish of the Saints.

There must have been at least 50 coaches overall who were present for what was essentially a mini-NFL convention.

The last pro day that I could remember being bigger was Miami’s back in 2004. That might have been the last year in which Miami, in an attempt to make its pro day a more special event, would tell its players not to work out at the NFL combine so that they could all perform at the school’s pro day the following Saturday.

To make the event even more grand, Miami would run its pro day in conjunction with something it called Junior Day, when nearly 2,000 kids from all over the state would visit the football program. Imagine how impressed you would be if you were one of those kids touring Miami on that day and saw all 32 NFL teams, maybe six or seven NFL coaches, as well as several coordinators and even team owners.

That’s what Ohio State’s pro day was like today.

A total of 15 players worked out Friday, plus two guys from other schools, and conditions were ideal. Here’s a list of notable names:

Ryan Shazier, LB: Shazier ran the 40-yard dash once, and the times that were recorded varied, with a high of 4.41 seconds to a low of 4.35. Averaging out the best and the worst times, I’d give him a time of 4.38 seconds. Shazier pulled up at the end of his run with what was initially thought to be a left hamstring pull, but it was later changed to a strain, which isn’t as bad as we originally thought.

An interesting side note about Shazier and his training habits: He’s very careful about what he eats. I’m told he takes a picture of every one of his meals and sends it to his performance trainer, Mickey Marotti, because he wants to make sure that he’s eating correctly.

Jack Mewhort, OL: Mewhort (6-6, 315 pounds) kept all of his numbers from the combine. His workout Friday was very good, and he continued to show that he’s a good knee bender and waist bender, which is important if you want to be a good offensive lineman. Plenty of offensive line coaches were on hand, and Mewhort was worked out by a bunch of them. The consensus is that he’ll be a very good NFL guard.

Bradley Roby, CB: Roby (5-11, 195 pounds) kept everything he did at the combine, except for one thing: He ran the 3-cone drill in 6.78 seconds. He moves really well and is very good at defending passes that are thrown in front of him; his ball skills are not as good when he has to go back on passes.

Carlos Hyde, RB: Hyde (6-0, 234 pounds) kept everything from the combine. He pulled up with an injury when he ran the 40 at the combine and wasn’t ready to run today, but he’ll do that March 26 (location TBD). Hyde looked outstanding today in his position drills as a running back, and was especially impressive catching the ball.

Corey Brown, WR: Brown (5-11 3/8, 182 pounds) ran once today and posted a 4.50 in the 40. He had a good workout today and will probably be a third-day draft choice.

Corey Linsley, C: Linsley (6-2 3/4, 301 pounds), who was at the combine, posted 40 times of 4.97 and 5.00 today. He also had a broad jump of 8-foot, 11 inches, a short shuttle of 4.58 and a 7.86 3-cone drill. His arms measured at 31 7/8 inches. I think he’ll probably be a third-day pick.

Andrew Norwell, G: Norwell (6-5 3/4, 318 pounds) has 33 5/8-inch arms. He ran the 40 in 5.27 and 5.28 seconds. He had a 28-inch vertical and 8-foot, 9-inch broad jump. He put the bar up 22 times. He’s probably a free agent or a seventh-round pick.

Kenny Guiton, QB: Guiton (6-1 7/8, 204 pounds) was Braxton Miller’s backup at Ohio State but played pretty well in a couple of starts last season. Today he ran the 40 in 4.78 and 4.76 seconds. He did the short shuttle in 4.31, had a 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot, 9-inch broad jump. He looked good and had a lot of poise throwing the ball. I think he’ll probably be a free agent and enter camp as someone’s fourth quarterback.

2014 NFL Draft: Week 2 Pro Day takeaways
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    March 14, 2014 6:01 pm ET

The NFL scouting world is in the thick of Pro Day season as scouts, coaches and evaluators travel the country from campus to campus.

With double-digit workouts each day, it can be tough to properly track each prospect, so we narrowed down the last week of Pro Days to the top five storylines that every NFL Draft fan needs to know.

Amaro back on pace
    After North Carolina's Eric Ebron, who will be the second tight end drafted in May? For most of the draft process, that player was expected to be Texas Tech's Jace Amaro, but after an inconsistent NFL combine performance, that became less clear. He ran a disappointing 4.74 40-yard dash with more drops than expected during the positional drills.

But Amaro helped himself on Friday at his on-campus Pro Day, recording a 4.59 and 4.62 (into the wind) in the 40-yard dash with better results catching the ball from former Red Raiders quarterback Seth Doege. With 22 team in attendance, including New York Jets general manager John Idzik, Amaro remains the favorite to be the next tight end drafted after Ebron. The bigger question might be: Will he sneak into the late first round?

Dennard and Gilbert continue to ascend
    For many (not me), the top two cornerbacks in this draft class are Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard and Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert. Both had positive showings at the combine and kept that momentum going this week with strong Pro Day performances.

Dennard's 4.51 40-yard dash in Indianapolis wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't terrible either. However, his results in the vertical jump (36-inch) and broad jump (11-foot-2) at Michigan State's pro day this week can be classified as spectacular, showing off his lower body explosion and technique. Dennard didn't do either drill at the combine due to a left hamstring injury, but he looked plenty healthy this week and helped solidify himself as a top-20 prospect.

After running a 4.37 40-yard dash in Indianapolis, Gilbert was advised not to run at Oklahoma State's Pro Day on Thursday, but he did slightly improve his time in the 3-cone drill (6.91) and performed average in the short shuttle (4.43) after not participating in that drill in Indianapolis. With his blend of height, length and pure speed, Gilbert will likely be high on several draft boards and nothing at his Pro Day will change that.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin were present at both workouts and will likely consider both with their 15th pick in the first round … if either is still on the board.

Bama's bumps and bruises
    Nick Saban's program has developed a discouraging reputation in recent years as a place that produces damaged goods on the football field. And LB C.J. Mosley and OT Cyrus Kouandjio in this year's class don't do much to dispel that notion as both left the combine with less than favorable medical reviews.

However, Mosley and Kouandjio fought back this week at Alabama's Pro Day. Mosley looked “fluid” in positional drills and ran his 40-yard dash in the 4.65-4.72 range after not running in Indianapolis due to soreness. Although Kouandjio didn't work out or help his paltry numbers from the combine (he'll have his own pro day on April 8), he did emphatically shoot down the thought that his knee will be a long-term durability issue. And his former coach backed him up:

“The teams we talked to, I can't find anybody that failed the guy on a physical,” Saban said. “If you don't understand how people grade players in terms of NFL medical grades, it's not pass-fail. There are usually five categories that a guy falls in, and if you don't understand it you shouldn't be writing about it, because he didn't really fail.”

The medical situation can be a murky one for prospects, but stay tuned to this situation, we haven't heard the last of it yet.

De'Anthony Thomas' redemption
    Going into the combine, when I was asked who the top 40-yard dash result would be, I debated between Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas and Kent State's Dri Archer. Most times I answered Thomas. And was obviously I was wrong as Archer blazed a 4.26 and Thomas ran a disappointing 4.50.

But Thomas redeemed himself on Thursday in Eugene, clocking a 4.38 and 4.34 in his 40-yard dashes according to one long-time NFL scout at Oregon's Pro Day. His other results were good, not great, including a 6.95 3-cone drill and 4.23 shot shuttle, but boosting his straight-line speed numbers were important for a player known as a track athlete.

Thomas is a little bit of an enigma due to his lack of a natural position in the NFL, but he should make an impact on special teams right away while attempting to find a home on offense. And with 4.34 speed, he'll get a chance at cornerback or another position before he's without a job in the NFL.

Barr. Is. A. Star.
    Considered an elite athlete by many, UCLA OLB Anthony Barr turned in ho-hum numbers at the combine with a 4.66 40-yard dash and 34.5-inches on the vertical jump. But at the Bruins' on-campus pro day on Tuesday, he ran 4.44 electronic time, according to his head coach at UCLA, Jim Mora.

“With Anthony, the ceiling is so high,” Mora told the Orange County Register. “He's only played the position for two years, and they see the talent. Then, he comes out today and runs a 4.45 at 247 pounds and 6-foot-4 . Then he goes and benches 19 times, which is a four-rep improvement from two weeks ago. They understand that there's so much room for growth.”

Barr has above average physical and athletic traits, that much is clear. But the technique and consistency needs to catch up for him to become a complete football player and that's something that will come with more reps. Barr was a running back two years ago and he seemed to discover how to be more successful on defense with each game. It's clear he's not yet a finished product, but his numbers back up what he shows on tape: an outstanding specimen who is learning on the fly.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i wouldn't trust the pro day for UCLA

they had six...SIX guys apparently run under 4.4

don't buy that for a second

bench presses were wonky too, can't find 'em though

Joel Bitonio worked out as tackle, guard, center
    Gil Brandt
    By Gil Brandt |

Published: March 15th, 2014 | Tags: Joel Bitonio, Nevada, pro day

The offensive line coaches from the Bengals, Rams, Colts and Chargers were at the pro day for the University of Nevada at Reno on Wednesday to watch Joel Bitonio. The Bengals and Rams coaches worked Bitonio mostly at center on his pro day; the Colts and Chargers coaches worked him out at left tackle and at guard the following day.

Bitonio (6-4 1/4, 305 pounds) stood on all of his numbers at the combine and had a very good workout. He’ll probably be a second-round pick, some place between the 40th and 50th pick.

Also of note at Nevada’s pro day was WR Brandon Wimberly. At 6-2 1/8, 207 pounds, Wimberly ran a 4.84 and 4.82 in the 40. He had a 29 1/2-inch vertical and a 9-5 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.40 and the three-cone drill in 7.53 seconds. He also had 12 reps in the bench press. Wimberly lacks speed but has great hands and will probably be a free agent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast