Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

Rambos is online now Registered User

Teddy Bridgewater "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Day

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Player

The Houston Chronicle reports Teddy Bridgewater was "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Day, as "several" of his passes were "clearly off target" and his ball "often fluttered."
    The workout was held indoors. Bridgewater (6'2/208) also weighed in six pounds lighter than his Combine measurement and proceeded to make numerous underthrows and overthrows. Per the Chronicle, "more than ten" of Bridgewater's 65 Pro Day throws were "either misses or drops." Conceded Bridgewater afterwards, "it was nowhere near where I wanted it to be." Added NFL Network's Kurt Warner, "I think he missed a few more throws than you expect at a Pro Day." Bridgewater ran a 4.78 forty-yard dash. He threw without gloves after donning them throughout his high school and college careers. Bridgewater's draft stock has seemingly been falling since the end of the college season.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Teddy Bridgewater "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Da

Bridgewater having a less than stellar day is alright in my opinion, as long as Bortles keeps looking the part of a number 1 pick.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Teddy Bridgewater "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Da

Bridgewater’s apparently having a middling performance at his pro day workout, with the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock panning the effort.

“Most quarterbacks have good pro days,” Mayock said. “Today, I thought it was very average at best.”

turbofargo is offline Registered User

That is interesting. Throughout the season when I would check the mocks they ALWAYS had him picked number 1 overall. Now he might not be 3rd or worse QB taken. Wonder what happened, seemed almost a mental thing on his part, maybe the pressure is getting too him?

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Also if the Texans, with the news of them wanting too ship their QB to the Raiders, takes Bortles with the Number 1 overall that will leave Johnny M as the only other top QB could work out very well for teams wigging out that they might not get a starting QB.

So either way if Clowney is gone or Bortles looks like we will be in a prime position to trade with multiple offers!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

We'll see if JFF can have an elite pro-day.
    Having 2 elite QBs in the draft is optimal.
    Having 1 and the Texans taking Clowney is also fine.
    I find it unlikely the Texans take Clowney.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

With as scripted as these pro days are for quarterbacks, it's hard to look bad.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Living in Louisville, I've been hearing some of the insider thoughts on this, and it makes no sense at all. Bridgewater has changed his throwing motion and threw w/o gloves for the 1st time ever.

Why in the world do you change up your mechanics that have you gotten you so far?!

The kid's been getting some bad advice from somebody.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

demiurge is offline Registered User

Actually, this might help the Rams, as all of a sudden there's one less option for the 'sure thing' QB in this draft. That means you have to go higher to get your man - and compensation for that #2 pick may increase.
    timsum1283 likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Six NFL head coaches on hand for Teddy Bridgewater's pro day
    By Dan Parr
    Published: March 16, 2014 at 04:37 p.m.
    Updated: March 17, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Six NFL head coaches are on hand to witness Teddy Bridgewater's pro day workout. Bill O'Brien of the Houston Texans, Gus Bradley of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Chip Kelly of the Philadelphia Eagles, Dennis Allen of the Oakland Raiders, Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings and Ken Whisenhunt of the Tennessee Titans were at the Louisville football complex to watch the potential No. 1 overall pick.

The Texans, owners of the No. 1 overall draft pick, have a need at quarterback, as do the Jaguars (No. 3 overall pick) Raiders (No. 5) and Vikings (No. 8). The Titans could also be in the market for a signal-caller, as the new coaching staff determines whether to add competition for Jake Locker.

Several NFL general managers were also in attendance -- including Rick Spielman of the Vikings, John Idzik of the New York Jets, Ruston Webster of the Titans and Ryan Grigson of the Indianapolis Colts. In all, more than 100 people jammed the complex to watch the workouts, which will also feature potential first-round safety Calvin Pryor.

On the eve of his highly anticipated pro day workout, Bridgewater spent time with an NFL team he likely hopes will have to trade up for a chance to draft him.

Representatives from the Vikings held a private meeting Sunday afternoon with Bridgewater, NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Minnesota appears to be doing its due diligence on this year's quarterback prospects even though it re-signed QB Matt Cassel earlier this month and still has Christian Ponder on the roster. The Vikings sent three officials to Alabama's pro day last week, fueling speculation that they're interested in drafting former Alabama QB AJ McCarron.

Bridgewater is considered the most NFL-ready of this year's quarterback prospects and could potentially be the No. 1 overall pick to the Texans. If Houston passes on him, he might not fall far. NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock lists Bridgewater No. 1 in his positional rankings, and NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah sees an excellent fit for the former Louisville signal-caller at No. 3, where the Jaguars are slated to draft. The Browns (No. 4) and Raiders (No. 5) have a need at quarterback, as well, so it would be a surprise to see Bridgewater still on the board by the time the eighth pick is made.

That said, the Vikings might not be wasting their time by doing their homework on Bridgewater. John Middlekauf, a former NFL scout, told College Football 24/7 last week that he had yet to talk to a scout that believed Bridgewater was a top-five pick and went a step further, tweeting that he didn't think Bridgewater is worthy of a top-10 pick.

The stakes were already high for Bridgewater's pro day -- the interest in the event grew stronger after he didn't throw or run the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine last month -- and, if Middlekauf is right, he'll have to put on quite a show to convince teams with a quarterback need drafting in the top five that he is the answer.

The reason he decided to wait to throw in front of NFL evaluators until his pro day is because he'll be in a better controlled environment that should be set up for him to perform well. If he can't impress on Monday, Bridgewater is going to have quite a few more skeptics.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Incomplete passes are rare on a pro day. I believe Sam only had 1 incomplete pass on his pro day, and that was a dropped pass. Definitely wasn't a good workout. Apparently he chose not to wear gloves despite the fact that he always wears them, and that may have been a bad move.

However, nobody has changed their minds on him. Norv Turner was very impressed with what he saw.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why he chose not to wear gloves if he has worn them his whole career

Now the question becomes: were the bad passes because he didn't wear gloves, or did he not wear gloves so he had an excuse for any bad passes?

Randart is offline Registered User

To me Teddy is the kinda guy who today may be my 5th best QB in the draft but 5 years from now with growth and strength a good coach or two... He could be something special, if he goes to a place he has to be the hero next year I see problems for the ladd. I watched him play this season a few games and I just never saw the zip you would like from a number one QB. I think he is the kinda kid you got to believe will be one day all you hope for and give him time to mature. Then he might just prove those who doubt him today wrong. Just my take on Teddy B.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I'm not sure why he chose not to wear gloves if he has worn them his whole career

Now the question becomes: were the bad passes because he didn't wear gloves, or did he not wear gloves so he had an excuse for any bad passes?
    The gloves; and his throwing motion was all different. It was truly odd. I still can't make heads or tails of why you make those changes right before your Pro Day. Just no sense whatsoever.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Question, If Bridgewater somehow miraculously makes it to our 2nd round pick. Do we draft him as Bradfords backup? Or would that raise too many media speculation pre and throughout the season?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast