Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

Rawr is offline Registered User

Re: Teddy Bridgewater "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Da

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    Question, If Bridgewater somehow miraculously makes it to our 2nd round pick. Do we draft him as Bradfords backup? Or would that raise too many media speculation pre and throughout the season?
    It would depend on who is still available, but it's definitely something we should consider. I'd prefer a QB in the 3rd or 4th, but he's worth a second rounder.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Teddy Bridgewater "less accurate than expected" during Monday's Louisville Pro Da

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    Question, If Bridgewater somehow miraculously makes it to our 2nd round pick. Do we draft him as Bradfords backup? Or would that raise too many media speculation pre and throughout the season?
    I'd be tempted to take him at 13 if he was there. In the second absolutely I'd take him with us picking 12th in the second round.

richtree is offline Registered User

No way...he doesn't have arm or accuracy ....nor it factor.....too average all around....he is career backup

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    No way...he doesn't have arm or accuracy ....nor it factor.....too average all around....he is career backup
    And you base this on one afternoon?

Teddy Bridgewater is the MOST accurate QB in the draft. This is not a great year for elite level QBs, but Bridgewater is still along side Blake Bortles as the top QBs in this draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MACD is offline Registered User

Bortles' Pro Day

I watched it on NFL network as it pre-empted the Rams-Steelers Super bowl XIV playback.

Bortles looked great. He only threw one off pass that I saw. Tight spirals. Accuracy. He sure didn't hurt his prospects, which is good for the Rams, right?

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Bortles' Pro Day

him or clowney...........someones will come to the Rams for the number 2.
    Semper Fi!

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: The Official 2014 Pro Day Thread

I'm hopeful for Bortles and by the sounds of things he had a good day.

I think taking the QB at number one maximises our realistic trade partners for Clowney. Agreed?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And you base this on one afternoon?

Teddy Bridgewater is the MOST accurate QB in the draft. This is not a great year for elite level QBs, but Bridgewater is still along side Blake Bortles as the top QBs in this draft.
    I'm not a major Bridgewater fan but someone is taking a QB in the top few picks and 1 day isn't going to change that. When people compare this to 2011, I see that as reinforcing the simple fact that in 2011 NFL teams drafted 4 marginal QBs in the top 12 picks because they recognize the importance of the position. 90+% of Mizzou fans knew Gabbert wasn't an elite QB on the field. Didn't matter. IMO, Manziel is a better prospect than Gabbert ever was.

If I were betting right now, all 3 QBs will be taken in the top 11 picks.
    HUbison likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Johnny Manziel to Mike Evans. 60+ yards... And a "BOOM!

OK not sure this will change his draft status but I have to say. I watched his pro day and he threw the deep ball better then anyone I have ever seen in a pro day setting. He threw a lot of them too. Rolling out both directions he seems to have great feel for the deep ball no doubt. I thought he had a great day.

It was a different way to go as well. He had the music pumping the whole time. He had his pads and helmet on. A lot of energy throughout. He did hot hurt himself thats for sure.

On the last throw he throws a deep pass and yells boom right before Evans catches the ball, another deep ball right on the money.

I hope it gets the buzz it can only help us.

Evans looked good too.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Re: Johnny Manziel to Mike Evans. 60+ yards... And a "BOOM!

Johnny Manziel - QB - Player

The Bears and Browns were the only two teams absent from Johnny Manziel's Thursday Pro Day.
    They missed a show, as Manziel impressed as he threw in shoulder pads. Manziel made a believer of noted skeptic Ron Jaworski, prompting ESPN's Jaws to proclaim he'd now be comfortable selecting the former Heisman Trophy winner in the first three rounds. NFL teams' opinions are far less malleable, but Johnny Football did what he needed to do on Thursday. Questions about Manziel's ability to drive the ball are going to persist, but he only needs one team to fall in love in the first round. The Browns' absence from Manziel's Pro Day is notable, but they're expected to conduct a private workout with the A&M signal caller.
    Related: Bears, Browns
    Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Johnny Manziel shines at circus-like pro day workout
    By Bryan Fischer
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: March 27, 2014 at 01:40 p.m.
    Updated: March 27, 2014 at 02:11 p.m.

The only thing missing might have been an introduction from the late Ed McMahon.

There were general managers. There were head coaches. There was a former president of the United States. There was plenty of rap music, too.

It's safe to say there will never be another pro day like Johnny Manziel's ever again. And surprisingly it might have lived up to the hype.

"He showed us he can make all the throws," NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner said. "That deep ball was impeccable. Great touch, good enough velocity and was able to set it out there."

"I think (Manziel) loves competition," NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "He lights up like a Christmas tree with all these GMs here."

Manziel completed 61 of 64 passes Thursday at Texas A&M's indoor facility. He had one blemish with a throw that was too low, but was otherwise on target with just about every throw. One throw was caught out of bounds and the other incompletion was a drop.

Mayock compared Manziel's arm strength with the other top quarterback prospects in this year's draft -- Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- and said Manziel's arm was at least as strong as Bortles' and looks stronger than Bridgewater's. Mayock raved about Manziel's competitiveness and said Manziel confirmed that he can make every throw mechanically.

The quarterback was likewise pleased with how he performed.

"My main thing is I'm not scared of anything. I don't play that way. Why come out here in a scripted workout and be scared of anything?" Manziel said in a post-workout interview on NFL Network. "Throw the pigskin around and let's have fun. This was a football player's dream."

Eight teams sent head coaches to the pro day -- Bill O'Brien, Chip Kelly, Gus Bradley and Mike Zimmer were among those in attendance. NFL general managers also flocked to College Station to catch a glimpse of the most anticipated pro day in recent memory.

The end result was not only a chance for Manziel to impress front offices with what he can do on the field, but also to prove to teams that he has the makeup to be the top pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

"I'm an extremely coachable kid and I'm ready to learn. That's the biggest thing for me," Manziel said. "There were things that I wasn't asked to do at A&M, protections and so many things you have to do, so throw it at me. I want it. I need to learn it eventually. I'm tired of saying 'Man, I wish I would have known that when I was there.' Let's try and get ahead of the game.

"I just want to let these guys know that my focus is football. This is my life, this is what I love to do. I've never been more dedicated my entire life. I'm so excited. I understand the challenge."

It remains to be seen if that will be enough to persuade the Texans to make him the selection atop the draft this year. The club that decides to take a chance on the gunslinger from A&M could be getting a future Pro Bowl player based on what Mayock saw on Thursday.

"There's a leap of faith involved from a general manager or team perspective if you want to take this kid in the top 10," Mayock said. "When chaos happens, he's phenomenal. What you have to buy into, if he's a top-10 pick, is that he's going to learn. If you combine his spontaneity with an ability to win from within the pocket, then you've got something unique in today's NFL. If you get that, yeah, he's the No. 1 pick in the draft."

Will he ultimately wind up hearing his name called first by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at Radio City Music Hall on May 8? We'll see. He certainly took a step in the right direction with his workout on Thursday, though.

Re: Johnny Manziel to Mike Evans. 60+ yards... And a "BOOM!

Brandt: Mike Evans has best hands since Calvin Johnson
    By Bryan Fischer
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: March 27, 2014 at 02:09 p.m.

Listen, it's hard to be overshadowed if you're a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

On Thursday, at least, former Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans was swallowed up by Manziel Mania. While most of the focus from media and fans centered on who was throwing the ball at Texas A&M's second pro day, one of the receivers catching it turned a few heads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
    Mike Evans has the best hands I've seen since Calvin Johnson.
    NFL Media analyst Gil Brandt has been around the game of football for a long time and has seen a lot of receivers enter the draft, so he's not making that comment lightly. Evans is generally considered the second-best receiver in the draft behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins, but it's clear the former Aggie has plenty of momentum behind him to push him into the conversation for the top spot.

Evans (6-foot-5, 231 pounds) led the SEC in touchdowns last year as he presented a nightmare matchup issue for teams with his size and speed. In the latest NFL.com mock drafts, Evans has been slotted anywhere from ninth overall to the Bills to the Giants at No. 12. The Lions have also expressed serious interest in the pass-catcher as well.

Fellow analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah even remarked on "Path to the Draft" on Wednesday it will be Evans who posts the better numbers between the two in their rookie year. Double-digit touchdowns? That has to be appealing for a team looking for a big red-zone threat.

It's clear most of the crowd in College Station was there to see Manziel throw, but Evans certainly had a good enough workout to solidify himself as a top 10 pick. We're sure a few quarterbacks around the league sent a text to their general manager saying they would be delighted to throw to Evans in the future after watching him run routes on NFL Network.

Snead was there today and he was positioned down field with an eye on Evans.
    Warner Pride and turbofargo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Snead was there today and he was positioned down field with an eye on Evans.
    Well, he showed us last year he's willing to trade up for a weapon they like. Could they make it two years in a row?

It's hard to believe Evans makes it by Detroit if he's there, and IMO could go as high as Oakland depending on if Watkins comes off the board early.

It could very well cost a second rounder to move up and take Evans in the 5-7 range. Is that worth it? Or, do you orchestrate a trade down from #2, take Evans with the 4th-6th pick (wherever the Rams end up), and then have the 13th pick open for someone else?

I like Evans a lot, but I'd feel better about him being the Rams' second pick in the first round than the first. Coming out of the first round with Robinson/Matthews and Evans would be ideal, and ironically that's a projection many had two months or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, he showed us last year he's willing to trade up for a weapon they like. Could they make it two years in a row?

It's hard to believe Evans makes it by Detroit if he's there, and IMO could go as high as Oakland depending on if Watkins comes off the board early.

It could very well cost a second rounder to move up and take Evans in the 5-7 range. Is that worth it? Or, do you orchestrate a trade down from #2, take Evans with the 4th-6th pick (wherever the Rams end up), and then have the 13th pick open for someone else?

I like Evans a lot, but I'd feel better about him being the Rams' second pick in the first round than the first. Coming out of the first round with Robinson/Matthews and Evans would be ideal, and ironically that's a projection many had two months or so ago.
    I'm all for Robinson/Matthews over Evans but you never know. We could trade back to 6-8 and take Evans. Then go for Taylor Lewan at 13.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast