Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Official ClanRam Scouts Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Okay... here's where you can let us have it!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Official ClanRam Scouts Mock Draft Discussion Thread

At this point in time, I have a hard time believing that one of the QB's won't be the pick for Carolina. Personally, I think it will be Newton, when all is said and done, but at the moment I think it's an even bet either way.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The momentum is moving towards a quarterback, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went another direction either. No prospect is perfect, but these guys are a bit riskier than normal. There isn't a Sam Bradford in this class, and even Bradford had his questions. So the Panthers could opt for a safer pick and try to give Clausen another year. That said, it doesn't sound like Clausen did much in Year One to give people confidence for the future. One reason I'd lean Gabbert over Newton at this point for Carolina is that the Panthers already have one QB with a sense of entitlement in Clausen, so they may not want another in Newton. But Newton does have the better athletic skills and ability, so you never know.

As for Denver's selection, Peterson is certainly an option and a good one. I would probably lean towards Marcell Dareus for Denver at this point, because I think they need that disruptor in the middle to help Dumervil and Ayers make the conversion back to defensive end. Their personnel at DT is pretty weak. That being said, regardless of whether or not Denver goes CB or DT, I think they'll have Round Two options at either position. If they go Peterson in round one, there will probably still be good value at DT at the top of the second round. Same with CB. I think the Broncos are in a good position to improve in this draft, especially with their second Round Two pick.

I agree that, from a pure need standpoint, a DT is probably the best choice. I just think Peterson is such an elite prospect that Denver will take him as the BPA.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, Denver's defense sucked all around last year, but ranked 31st against the run vs 25th against the pass. Further, I just feel that Fox is more of a front 7 guy than a secondary guy, and will lean towards the disruptive player vs the cover guy. I can remember a few different linemen who have played for Carolina, but can't think of any secondary players. My last point on going with a lineman, they're switching to a 4-3 this year, and if they don't believe that they have the required personnel, then they'll go after the line. Besides, imagine a healthy Dumervil and Dareus next to one another!

As for Carolina, I have to think that they will actually go defense, and just may go Peterson with the first pick. The GM likes Clausen, and the head coach has a defensive background. He'll wait until next year when they pick early again to tie himself to a QB.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Further, I just feel that Fox is more of a front 7 guy than a secondary guy
    His background is actually as a defensive backs coach, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As for Carolina, I have to think that they will actually go defense, and just may go Peterson with the first pick. The GM likes Clausen, and the head coach has a defensive background. He'll wait until next year when they pick early again to tie himself to a QB.
    There's a part of me that agrees with you, and thinks they'll go Peterson or Dareus. But you can never really bank on being able to get a franchise QB in the next year. Some people argued last year that Locker would be that guy this year, but questions emerged with Jake that have cost him a bit. There isn't a shortage of "franchise quarterbacks" in the sense that at least 1-2 highly regarded guys are usually available in each class, but will Carolina be in a position to get one? You never really know. This decision would have been so much easier for them if Andrew Luck had come out.

richtree is offline Registered User

I personally think there is less than a 10% chance that Buffalo picks Dareus. Maybe even like 2%. Can you justify this?

Cam Newton is still there and Nick Fairley - Buffalo has good WR core with some RBs -- they would obviously go QB here...but if you want to pick a DT it has to be Fairley because of his skills, body size, etc...

Picking Dareus over Newton and Fairley is not gonna happen...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I hope your right about Peterson AV, but I doubt it. Coach Fox will pick DT at 2. He loves getting his lines sturdy. Peterson is a better prospect I agree. I do not want the ***** getting Peterson, they will if he is there for them at 7.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I personally think there is less than a 10% chance that Buffalo picks Dareus. Maybe even like 2%. Can you justify this?

Cam Newton is still there and Nick Fairley - Buffalo has good WR core with some RBs -- they would obviously go QB here...but if you want to pick a DT it has to be Fairley because of his skills, body size, etc...

I beg to differ. As of right now, Dareus is the higher rated prospect of the two. He's more versatile, and by the sounds of it, he has a greater work ethic and passion for the game than Fairley. If you caught much of the Bills last season, you'd have seen Ryan Fitzpatrick light it up, and I have to think that they'll at least give him a chance before they throw the franchise under the Newton bus.

So far, I think everything has been pretty realistic. I don't think Gabbert would get past Cincy if the Panthers were to pick Newton #1 overall, and that's probably a best case scenario for the Rams as far as Julio Jones is concerned. Miller to the Cardinals is a good pick, and Green to the Bengals, as much as I loathe it as a Rams fan, makes a ton of sense also.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Newton is certainly a possibility for the Bills, but he's far from a guarantee. They may feel Fitzpatrick is good enough to allow them to pass on a first round QB, and have their pick of what's left at the top of the second round. As for Fairley, he's lost ground this offseason to Dareus in most DT rankings due to character and work ethic concerns, among other things. Furthermore, he's not as good of a fit in the 3-4 front, which Buffalo is still planning to use.

I wonder if some teams might pass on a QB in the Top 10 and target someone like Christian Ponder in Round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I wonder if some teams might pass on a QB in the Top 10 and target someone like Christian Ponder in Round 2.
    There is also some growing Round Two buzz about Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick. Plus, you never know if Ryan Mallett could be there, and some would argue Jake Locker will as well, though I personally doubt he makes it out of the first round.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think this is a pretty distinct possibility. You could make a case for quarterback for at least half the teams in the top 10 (Carolina, Buffalo, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee), but you could also make the case that there are at least 10 other players available that are more talented than the best quarterback.

That said, Gabbert to Carolina wouldn't be a huge shocker.

I'd lean Dareus over Peterson for the next pick, but it's basically a toss-up. Denver clearly recognizes the value of a shutdown corner.

I would agree with Dareus to the Bills if Denver takes Peterson. Ryan Fitzpatrick probably is not an elite quarterback, but he may well still be one of Buffalo's best players.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Cinci going defense with their first pick. Actually, there aren't a lot of positions I would rule out other than tight end.

Von Miller to the Cardinals makes sense, although I'd argue that the NFC West isn't really a running division so much as a "passing very poorly" division. For most of the last decade, the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals have been passing teams, so I think there are still too many pieces left over from those days to really say the division has become a running division--at least not in the sense of say the AFC North in a good year.

Things are getting interesting. We're 9 picks in, and Cam Newton is still available.

The Skins are up next - do they break the Rams' hearts and take Julio Jones?

So far, we've had 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 LB, 2 CBs, 2 DEs and 2 DTs taken. When will the first OL go?

Stay tuned?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I bet that Newton looks too much like Elway to Shanny to pass up. They need an entirely new team, but that won't stop him from grabbing a QB that may not be able to contribute much in his first year. In fact, that might be a smart move anyway... if you know that it'll take a year to rebuild the Skins, and a year to get Newton up to speed, why not grab him?

First OL should be either Skins or Lions.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast