throwback week

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Official ClanRam Scouts Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This question is for HUbison,

I see that you were the lucky one to have the RAMS pick (#14).

ALDON SMITH ???? Really????

I have one glaring question.

Can he get to the quarterback?????? :-)
    Ooh, you caught me off-guard with that one. I'll have to do some research and get back to you.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well... the Rams have made their choice - ALDON SMITH!

What do you think?
    I like it!

Just made the Miami pick, and I went with a bit of a curve-ball. It's not necessarily the direction I'd go, and ultimately I don't know if they'll do it without trading down a bit. But it's certainly an option, and I wanted to see how it'd shake things up, if at all.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But to be fair, Dave, Pat Kirwan is not exactly "everyone and their mother". Your point is accurate, and if NFLfan0145 makes a mock, I'm not putting much stock in it. But when Pat Kirwan or Mike Mayock or Charles Davis or Gil Brandt, etc. make a statement it holds a little more value in my opinion.
    Mock Drafts Central

On NFL Network they are split (your experts) so it is not like I'm pulling this out of my @$$. Really, it is a mute point since Jones is gone. So I guess we can follow the Beatles and Let it Be but don't act like getting this from "NFLfan0145."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I ended up making a pretty stock pick for the Patriots, but the value was GREAT on Watt at 17. I don't know how the Pats manage to stay a step ahead of the curve: every year, it seems like they're in need of the players that other teams don't have a dire a need for, and as a result they end up with good value with each selection. They needed a DE, and I think Watt is the best available to fit a 3-4 front.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Can't argue with Aldon Smith to the Rams. If Chris Long is the future at LE, it would make sense to add more of a speed rusher at RE. As an added bonus, he's a local product, and if he takes some time to develop as a starter, he can still provide value in his rookie year as a situational pass rusher. Spags seems to like having a frequent rotation on the defensive line to keep everyone fresh.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Can't argue with Aldon Smith to the Rams. If Chris Long is the future at LE, it would make sense to add more of a speed rusher at RE. As an added bonus, he's a local product, and if he takes some time to develop as a starter, he can still provide value in his rookie year as a situational pass rusher. Spags seems to like having a frequent rotation on the defensive line to keep everyone fresh.
    Agreed. Also, given his size, I think that James Hall could take a lot more reps at DT if we had an end rusher like Smith on the field.

Interesting note on the Mock -- 8 of the first 18 players taken have been DL. I think that is a trend we are likely to see repeated on draft day.

We're into the playoff teams now, and there's still a lot of talent on the board.
    • We've yet to see a RB taken.
    • Only one OT has been selected.
    • Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker are still waiting to hear their names called.
    • The "second tier" of WRs and CBs are still available.
    Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    Mock Drafts Central

On NFL Network they are split (your experts) so it is not like I'm pulling this out of my @$$. Really, it is a mute point since Jones is gone. So I guess we can follow the Beatles and Let it Be but don't act like getting this from "NFLfan0145."
    Dave, don't misunderstand me; I'm not lumping you in with every guy that throws a mock out there. I'm just not willing to lump Kirwan into that crowd either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

A couple more OTs off the board...

10/23 players taken have been DL...

A Heisman Trophy winner sweating in the Green Room...

Who has been the biggest reach?

Who has been the biggest steal?

Best fit? Worst fit?

Give us your thoughts!

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Well... the Rams have made their choice - ALDON SMITH!

What do you think?

For me, with the players left on board, my top two choices would have been Smith and Ryan Kerrigan. I may have also given some thought as to taking Justin Houston (though there are some character concerns there that would have required some evaluation).
    I'm hesitant on Smith. Could he have produced when teams game-planned for him in his sophomore year if he wasn't hurt? Can he hold up against the run at 260 lbs? Is he just a less athletic version of Vernon Gholston? He probably has the biggest boom/bust potential of the non-quarterbacks aside from Bowers' knee. The pick makes sense, but who knows what we end up with.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

A couple more OTs off the board...

10/23 players taken have been DL...

A Heisman Trophy winner sweating in the Green Room...

Who has been the biggest reach?

Who has been the biggest steal?

Best fit? Worst fit?

Give us your thoughts!
    I think i see the first OT going to Dallas, which will then start a bit of a run on the OL players. Dallas suffered through Alex Barron last year, and Marc Colombo is getting on in years. I hear a lot of talk of Dallas going OL, and although it could be a smokescreen, i see that as their major position of need. They will have first choice of any tackle they wish to take.

I still see the Lions taking a tackle aswell, as they can't hope to convince everyone that Jeff Backus is a quality enough LT to protect Matt Stafford.

I think the biggest "reach" would be Da'Quan Bowers at 6, solely because his knee issues have him dropping down the draft in the eyes of some experts. However, if he gets healthy and can stay healthy, you could have five teams regretting passing on him in the future, so he could even end up being a steal at 6!!

I'm not surprised on Julio Jones going before the Rams pick at 14. In an ideal world he would fall to St Louis, but there are just too many teams picking before the Rams that could use a WR. I was actually thinking this morning that the Rams may have to jump ahead of Minnesota to get Jones, as they have no real WRs under contract except for Percy Harvin. And Harvin is really a slot guy like Amendola, you would rather have two WRs to play outside with Harvin in the slot. Still, if Newton or Gabbert falls near Minny, they could move up to grab them. They also need help on the DL where they are expected to lose two starters.

Could he have produced when teams game-planned for him in his sophomore year if he wasn't hurt?
    Not sure what you mean. He DID play hurt, AND he produced.
    Can he hold up against the run at 260 lbs?
    He's the same weight now that Little played at, and he still has room to grow. If he doesn't make at DE, it won't be because of his weight.
    Is he just a less athletic version of Vernon Gholston?
    Not sure I understand this comparison at all. He's not as strong as Gholston, but every bit as mobile and athletic. And Gholston failed because he has the IQ of a grapefruit and couldn't pick up the playbook.
    He probably has the biggest boom/bust potential of the non-quarterbacks aside from Bowers' knee.
    Again, I would be interested to hear what you base this on. He's raw, yes. But everything else points to a quality product with no more of a bust/boom issue than any other prospect.

Am I completely objective regarding Aldon Smith? Absolutely not. I am a Mizzou fan. But as such I watched this kid in every game he's played in the Big XII. He has everything a team should look for in a 4-3 DE. If Jones is gone, and Smith is there, he should be a Ram.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

He's not as strong as Gholston, but every bit as mobile and athletic. And Gholston failed because he has the IQ of a grapefruit and couldn't pick up the playbook. Again, I would be interested to hear what you base this on.
    After thinking about it, the Gholston comparison was just a bad one. Smith just reminds me of Gholston physically(both have crazy long limbs). Lots of guys with Smith's description go on to have amazing careers in the NFL, so its a pretty weak comparison.

Am I completely objective regarding Aldon Smith? Absolutely not. I am a Mizzou fan. But as such I watched this kid in every game he's played in the Big XII. He has everything a team should look for in a 4-3 DE. If Jones is gone, and Smith is there, he should be a Ram.
    I just wish we could have seen it for more than 1 3/4 years, where the last 1/2 season he was playing hurt. I guess I'm comparing him to a guy like Kerrigan or Julio Jones, who had 3 full productive years in college.

Not sure what you mean. He DID play hurt, AND he produced.
    3 sacks in his final 7 college games. Kerrigan has not gone through a sack-drought like that since 2008. I'm fine with overlooking it as health reasons, but there are better candidates production-wise.

You've seen him play a lot more than me. I KNEW Brian Orakpo was going to be solid in the NFL regardless of stats and combine because I saw every college game he played, so maybe you are just seeing the same thing in Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think the biggest "reach" would be Da'Quan Bowers at 6, solely because his knee issues have him dropping down the draft in the eyes of some experts. However, if he gets healthy and can stay healthy, you could have five teams regretting passing on him in the future, so he could even end up being a steal at 6!!
    The media coverage of Bowers is curious. Here's what we do know: he had a meniscus repair a few weeks ago, and he's clearly not at 100%. We also know he had a monster year at Clemson in 2010 with 15.5 sacks.

I've read reports speculating that his knee issue is more severe than originally though (the jokers at PFT have even gone as far as to quote "unnamed sources" commenting that he might need microfracture surgery), but I have yet to read one report that even claims to be based on anyone who has accessed his medical records.

In the end, taking him will be a risk but, as you said, it could pay off in a BIG way.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    I just wish we could have seen it for more than 1 3/4 years, where the last 1/2 season he was playing hurt. I guess I'm comparing him to a guy like Kerrigan or Julio Jones, who had 3 full productive years in college.
    If you like Kerrigan over Smith, that's fine. Its actually an entirely rational opinion. Kerrigan is more of a known commodity, and his work-ethic/passion for the game is evident.

Smith, on the other hand, is a classic example of a potential "tip of the iceberg" prospect. We've seen some good things from him in college, but he has the tools to achieve a higher level of play.

If it came down to Smith vs. Kerrigan, you certainly won't hear me complain about how the Rams make the final decision. They are both fine prospects for a position of need. I suspect that if you asked, HUbison would probably say the same thing.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast