Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Official ClanRam Scouts Mock Draft Discussion Thread

I'd probably wind up taking Torrey Smith or trying to trade down (which I realize isn't something we're predicting in this mock). I have some reservations about him, as well, because a receiver who can't catch is about as useless as a quarterback who can't throw. However, a lot of the technique issues can be improved with time, and we can't wait forever for our current receivers to reach their potential. I certainly get the "we don't need another number two" sentiment; I said it last year about some guys, but we also can't go to the other end of the spectrum and say that we won't take a guy unless he's an elite top ten prospect unless we're willing to go the distance and trade up to make sure we get that kind of guy. IMO, Smith has potential starting talent. He has good straight line speed, leaping skills, is a willing blocker and by all accounts seems to be a model citizen. On the other hand, the similarities to Heyward-Bey are obvious, as Maryland always seems to have these guys who post incredible workout numbers with mixed results in the pros. That said, it's worth noting that Nolan Cromwell was one of the pro coaches who worked him out at his pro day.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fleece
    I think that's debatable. Mark Clayton lines up in the X "split end" spot.
    Simply because somebody HAS to. This roster does not have a starting split end at this point. Alexander, Curry, maybe Gibson...but none of those are true starters.
    Amendola, whose most natural spot would be at the Y "slot" position.
    Absolutely agree. Amendola is this team's best slot option.
    That leaves Donnie Avery (who hasn't gone deep much since 2009) and Laurent Robinson (who apparently can't run deep routes like he used to) as our best Z "flankers".
    Robinson should be pumping gas somewhere. And the last ball Avery caught was a deep route. If he comes back healthy, he and Clayton are the most natural flankers on the roster.
    If you add Julio Jones to that list, you find room for him at split end
    And there my friend is the equation changer. If we get Jones, he's the starting "X" day 1.

Here's the way I see it, with and w/o Jones:

X - Jones
    Y - Amendola
    Z - Clayton/Avery (and since McD likes 4-wide sets it could be both)

otherwise...

X - Clayton/Alexander/Gibson
    Y - Amendola
    Z - Avery/Clayton

Personally, I like the first option better.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I get the Torrey Smith argument (I think you could also throw guys like Randall Cobb and Titus Young into the mix). The Rams need WRs. There's no doubt there. I think it comes down to (1) whether you think Rudolph was the BPA (or, at least, Best Offensive Skill Position Player Available - BOSPPA?), and (2) whether you think Josh McDaniels can make good use of a TE like Rudolph.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm a big believer in this team's need for help at wide receiver, but given how things have fallen in this scenario, I wouldn't be upset at all with Rudolph. McDaniels hasn't always made good use of tight ends in the past, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't make an effort to incorporate that more into the offense, especially since Bradford's collegiate history was with a strong tight end in Gresham.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Mcdaniels under uses his TE? Mcdaniels actually has a TE on the field more often then not. He also puts 2 TEs on the field at the same time. As long a Rudolph is willing and able block he will be on the field more often. And being on the feild more often will make him part of passing plays. At the end of the day it is Bradford's choice who to pass it too and through college and his rookie year he has favored the QB.

Rudolph gives McDaniels another dimension. And he can be a real nice weapon for bradford. The rams really dont have a deep middle threat. Rudolph can fill that role with DX and Avery going deep on the sides we can be a safties worst nightmare if McDaniels can gameplan as well as he did in NE.

Coming down to the final pick of our mock.

Which teams have done the best?

Which Scout has the most accurate selections?

Stay tuned!

And there you have it!

Two full rounds of expert selections!

Thanks to our Scouts: Nick, 39thebeast, VegasRam, Bar-bq, HUbison and laram0.

Some notables still left who might be there for the Rams with their third pick: Mason Foster, Quan Sturdivant, Daniel Thomas, Jordan Todman, Ryan Williams, Dontay Moch, Quinton Carter, Robert Sands, John Moffitt, Kendall Hunter, DeMarco Murray and Greg Little.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-19-2011 at 01:10 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And there you have it!

Two full rounds of expert selections!

Thanks to our Scouts: Nick, 39thebeast, VegasRam, Bar-bq, HUbison and laram0.

Some notables still left who might be there for the Rams with their third pick: Mason Foster, Quan Sturdivant, Daniel Thomas, Jordan Todman, Ryan Williams, Dontay Moch, Quinton Carter, Robert Sands, John Moffitt, Kendall Hunter, DeMarco Murray and Greg Little.
    A lot of good options for the Rams still there. And I know that folks will be pushing for a WR at this point, but an option as of yet unmentioned, Drake Nevis. At a playing weight of 290, he's not the biggest DT, and won't play every down, but he is very disruptive and would fit a Spags scheme nicely.

Just a thought.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567