Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Official Combine Thread

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Official Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rapoport
    Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”
    Not good news for Cyrus.

richtree is offline Registered User

Pre-Combine Talk-- On going thread for next few days....

First off guys, I wanted to say sorry that I haven't caught up with my normal pre-combine analysis of all the WRs...I promise I will be fully caught up with post - combine analysis.

THIS IS THE BEST WR DRAFT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY RECENTLY MEMORY...

For Wide Recivers, the bench press and height and weight official measurables are all listed.

Right off the bat Maquise Lee and Allen Robinson not doing this could be a red flag...definately for Lee with his strength being questioned.

Marqise Lee measured at 5-11 6/10 and 192 pounds at the NFL combine.

I think Lee will be the biggest faller of the big names. Once thought of the easy lock for a top 10 pick, he will be lucky to stay in Round 1. Obviously, he still has NFL starter talent, but more and more Burleson/Maclin than some NFL game changer...

Allen Robinson didn't measure 6ft 3in but with his size and hands at 9.5 his combine will rest on his speed and mobility....If he can show scouts he can play at NFL speed he could be a true threat...

Other things to note....

B.Coleman and J. Matthews (and C.Lattimore) helping their stock will the best bench press numbers.....

Watkins, Crooks, Bryant, Adams all did well...

Benjamin, Mike Evans, O. Beckham, and Landry didn't help themselves in the bench.

For Benjamin and Evans you want to see more reps as they are not speed guys, and want to see 15 reps or more from your big wideouts.....This makes their speed drills even more important....This often shows teams they need a year of NFL training to be ready if both strenght and speed are lacking....

Beckham's stock is falling and will probably end up being only a special teamer and WR4/5....

Evans, Coleman, and Benjamin all showing they are really, really big...gonna be a fun combine...Devote Adams has small hands and not that tall...he will slip without strong speed numbers....

Magic numbers to watch for Evans, Coleman, and Benjamin 4.55 -- if any of them run this or faster, but them in top 30 picks...4.51 or faster top 20...
    For those thinking Coleman will be there in round 3 or 4 stop and be honest to yourself and say the only reason you are saying that is because ESPN is telling you that and Rutgers was not on TV enough with a big time QB....its time to shine...

Marquise Lee has to run 4.49 or faster or I could see him falling to pick 35.....
    there are so many good Wideouts...I ll talk more after its all done...

out of nowhere guys....Willie Snead and Damian Copeland....keep an eye maybe even Ryan Grant.....

more to come....Only 1 constant...Watkins clear stud...lock top 6 pick...

Also, love watching the Tight Ends in recent years.....

If draft was today, I think Rams take Robinson at pick #2 due to Bradford's lack of Oline stability and injury concerns...Watkins is great but the depth at WR make it easier to pass on him...
    Trading down helps but there isn't a stud QB, nevermind 2, as there were with Luck and RGIII...plus Fisher would like to win sometime soon

Just a note even nfl.com has Jordan Matthews could be moody and a diva...lol..

good luck and happy combine watchings.....

I sincerly think if the Rams actually make 2 draft choices in Round 1 the only positions that it will come from is OL, WR, or CB

Some unofficial WR 40 times...

Davante Adams: 4.50
    Odell Beckham: 4.31
    Kelvin Benjamin: 4.53
    Martavis Bryant: 4.34
    Brandon Coleman: 4.50
    Brandon Cooks: 4.30
    Bruce Ellington: 4.31
    Mike Evans: 4.47

2014 NFL Combine: Five takeaways from Friday
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    February 21, 2014 5:40 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Day 2 of the NFL Combine provided a little more action than Day 1, highlighted by the quarterbacks stepping to the podium and addressing the media. Central Florida's Blake Bortles and others attracted mobs of reporters, but predictably it was Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel who drew the largest crowd Friday.

Understandably, Manziel was controlled and professional in his responses, not giving away too much, but not backing down from the tough questions.

"I tried to really hone in on some things this year, get better in the pocket and continue to develop as a passer," Manziel said in response to his growth as a player. "There was some scrutiny off the field, but I'm continuing to learn from my mistakes and continuing to grow up. I have an opportunity now moving into a professional phase. This is life now, this is a job for me. I'm taking it very seriously and I'm really excited about the future."

While Johnny Football was the headliner, he wasn't the only story from Friday at Lucas Oil Stadium. These were the five biggest takeaways of the day:

5. Arguably the most gifted running back in this draft class, Isaiah Crowell has NFL talent, but it's the extra baggage that will likely determine his landing spot in the draft. Two years ago at this time, Crowell was coming off a productive true freshman season at Georgia and was arguably the top running back in all of college football. But he often found himself in the coaches' doghouse throughout his freshman year and was eventually dismissed from the program in June 2012 after a weapons-related arrest.

Crowell resurfaced at Alabama State where he starred the past two seasons, leaving school after his junior year for the 2014 NFL Draft. The weapons charges were eventually dropped and he has stayed out of the police blotter since, but Crowell is still focused on damage control during the interview process.

"All the teams want to know about the past situation," Crowell said on Friday. "It was a mistake, childish mistake. I'm a different person now. More mature now, trying to put it behind me."

On the field, Crowell has the quickness and strength to be productive in the NFL and he pointed out his pass protection and hands out of the backfield as his strengths. He also added that it's "not all about him anymore" with a son at home, pointing out his desire to stay humble and keep his dreams in sight.

"I played against lower competition, so I feel like I still have a lot to prove."

The baggage from his past is there. But Crowell is definitely focused on the future. And if that's truly the case, the NFL team that takes a chance on him might find a gem in the middle rounds.

4. The underclassmen exodus to the 2014 NFL Draft class has added tremendous star power and depth to this draft class at several positions, but especially the wide receiver group. Of the 48 wide receivers invited to the combine, almost half (22) are underclassmen. And NFL executives have taken notice.

"Early last May when we started looking at what was coming, we had a gut feeling it was going to be a deep draft, it's turned out to be that," said Les Snead, general manager of the St. Louis Rams. "The receivers are very deep. The 15th receiver could be a starter in this league. There are a lot of different flavors."

Snead is exactly right. I'm not convinced there is a true No. 1 receiver prospect in this draft class, but there are well over a dozen receivers who project as dynamic, reliable No. 2 starters and players who will have long, productive careers. Snead's comments back up my opinion that I probably wouldn't draft Clemson's Sammy Watkins in the first seven picks because of the depth of this class and the ability to find a quality receiver in Rounds 2 or 3.

3. Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson (6-5, 332) arrived in Indianapolis as arguably the top tackle prospect for the 2014 class due to his aggressive mean streak in the run game to steer defenders wherever he wants. But he is somewhat unproven in pass protection. Robinson embraces the doubt and is determined to prove those doubters wrong.

"I excel at run blocking because I worked at it a lot," Robinson said on Friday. "But I've also worked the pass, it was limited, but I feel I'm decent enough and I'll prove myself if anyone is doubting me."

Robinson, who benched 225-pounds 32 times, said his limited experience as a starter is the reason he is behind Jake Matthews in some rankings, calling it a "personal goal" to be the first tackle drafted. Robinson has all the potential in the world and he seems to realize that, but he also knows he has a lot to learn. He also didn't shy away from the notion that he's a mean-spirited blocker.

"I wouldn't say angry, but I'm not trying to be nice."

2. With so many underclassmen in this class, the "official" heights, weights and other measureables become much more intriguing, especially at the quarterback position. Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel didn't make the six-foot plateau at 5-11 3/4 and 207 pounds, but his hands size (9 7/8 inches) is the biggest among this quarterback group.

Manziel won't be able to fix his height, but he's worked hard to bulk up in the weight room, adding 35 pounds since arriving in College Station. During his media interview on Friday, he didn't have much to say about his size, but did say: "I feel like I'm 10-feet tall. A measurement to me is just a number."

Too much can be made of the heights and weights, but it's important to find exact measurements on each player to better paint the overall picture of who he is as a NFL prospect. Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater came in at 6-2 1/8 and 210 pounds with 9 1/4 hands and Central Florida's Blake Bortles was 6-5 and 232 pounds with 9 3/8 hands -- the rare example of a prospect who is actually bigger than his listed measureables from school.

1. I took a lot of heat back in early January when I put Blake Bortles atop my first mock draft of the 2014 calendar year. But here we are in late February and I'm sticking with it. In fact, if the Texans keep the No. 1 overall pick I believe there are two clear-cut favorites: Bortles and Manziel. But Houston isn't revealing much of anything about their draft plans.

On Friday at the combine, Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien stepped to the podium and was coy on the direction they're leaning with the No. 1 pick.

"We're always going to do what's best for the organization," O'Brien said on what the team plans to do with the top pick. "And what people need to understand is it takes a long time. It's not something that you develop right away or overnight. These are a lot of discussion, meetings, communication between Rick (Smith) and myself, the coaching staff, Rick's staff, the scouts and all those things that go into this decision and that's what we're in the process of doing."

The draft process is exactly that, a process. The Houston Texans don't know who they're drafting yet and no one else does, either. O'Brien brushed off the widespread thought that Bortles is his "type" of quarterback, but he did say he would talk with George O'Leary, Bortles' head coach at UCF and O'Brien's former mentor.

"Obviously I have a connection with George O'Leary and their coaching staff thinks very highly of him there," O'Brien said about Bortles. "He's athletic. He's a competitive guy. So it's been fun to watch him play on tape and it'll be good to watch him work out here."

2014 NFL combine: Five takeaways from Saturday
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    February 22, 2014 5:03 pm ET

It was not a good day for tight ends at the combine, and especially for Jace Amaro. (USATSI) It was not a good day for tight ends at the combine, and especially for Jace Amaro. (USATSI)

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | NFL combine workout results

INDIANAPOLIS -- Given the competitive nature of the NFL combine, emotional highs and lows are to be expected.

Day 3 of the 2014 edition, however, provided extremes -- with medical concerns overshadowing some remarkable workouts and insightful interviews with some of the year's biggest names, including NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated player (South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney), highest-ranked quarterback (Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater) and Missouri pass rusher Michael Sam, who is attempting to be the first openly gay player in NFL history.

These were the five biggest takeaways of the day:

5. It was a tough day for highly regarded tight ends. Washington junior Austin Seferian-Jenkins was informed that medical testing done in Indianapolis revealed a pre-existing foot condition and the NFL would not allow him to work out. Seferian-Jenkins later spoke of his health in an interview for the NFL Network, characterizing himself as "fine," but wasn't sure yet if he'll be working out at Washington's Pro Day, scheduled April 2.

North Carolina's Eric Ebron -- NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated prospect at the position -- was unable to finish his workout Saturday. He appeared to pull up slightly on his second running of the 40-yard dash and was given an official time of 4.60 seconds in the event. Ebron was seen icing his hamstrings following the end of the 40-yard dash tests. He discarded the ice and followed the rest of the tight ends' workouts, walking with a slight limp.

Texas Tech junior Jace Amaro was healthy enough to compete in all of the drills but struggled as a pass-catcher Saturday, dropping multiple passes. Further, Amaro's lack of definition in his upper body stood in stark contrast to several of the other highly regarded prospects at the position. While he posted an impressive 28 reps of 225 pounds, Amaro doesn't play with this physicality and served as a monstrous slot receiver rather than as an in-line blocker with the Red Raiders.

On a more positive note, Tennessee State's A.C. Leonard enjoyed a spectacular workout, leading all tight ends with a 4.50-second 40-yard dash and tying at 6-foot-2, 252 pounds and showing off that acceleration and agility as a route-runner during drills. Leonard, a Florida transfer, also caught the ball well, as did Wisconsin's Jacob Pederson and Georgia's Arthur Lynch.

4. Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson was expected to perform well at the combine, but the numbers he's posting are eye-popping, especially considering that he's 332 pounds.

Robinson was clocked at 4.92 seconds in the 40-yard dash on Saturday morning, with a 10-yard split of 1.68 seconds. The numbers reinforce what the tape shows: Robinson is a tremendous athlete with light feet and easy movement skills. He also lifted 225 pounds 32 times on the bench press and with 35-inch arms, that number is equally as impressive. But again, the tape backs it up. Robinson uses his strong, aggressive hands to latch and drive defenders out of the play in the run game.

Robinson, who didn't start playing offensive line until his junior year in high school, is still learning the game and needs time to develop, especially in pass protection. But the raw skills are extremely impressive and along with the notable numbers he produced Saturday, Robinson is proving why so many around the league believe he's a top-five overall talent and this year's top tackle prospect.

Michigan OT Taylor Lewan has the fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive lineman at 4.87. Other standouts include LSU guard Trai Turner (6-foot-3, 310), Miami offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson (6-foot-7, 331) and UCLA guard Xavier Su'a-Filo (6-foot-4, 307), who clocked in at 4.93, 5.04 and 5.04 seconds, respectively in the 40-yard dash.

3. While the workouts demonstrated the remarkable athleticism of this year's offensive linemen, one highly regarded blocker whose stock could take a massive hit this week is Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio, who failed multiple team's physicals due to an arthritic knee, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

Kouandjio didn't look especially athletic during drills conducted at the combine, finishing last among all offensive linemen tested by clocking in at 5.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Kouandjio posted "just" 21 reps of 225 pounds on Friday, as well, though scouts won't worry about this nearly as much given the strength and aggression with which he plays and his incredibly long arms (35 5/8 inches).

2. Like the rest of the defensive linemen, Missouri pass rusher Michael Sam won't work out until next week but he passed an important test Saturday, standing up to the glare of an overflow media contingent.

"I wish you guys would see me as Michael Sam the football player," Sam said Saturday. "Not Michael Sam the gay football player."

The vast majority of the questions posed to Sam revolved around his personal life, rather than how or where the SEC's Co-Defensive Player of the Year projects into the NFL.

"I think Michael Sam is an effective outside pass rusher," Tennessee Titans general manager Ruston Webster said. "He has some strength at the point. But his main thing is getting up the field and rushing the passer and putting pressure on the quarterback. He was obviously very productive."

After starring at Missouri as a 4-3 defensive end, Sam struggled when moved to outside linebacker at the Senior Bowl, showing less-than-ideal flexibility and balance. Given his struggles changing directions fluidly in Mobile, Sam's times in the short shuttle and three-cone drill could prove effective barometers of any improvement he has made since the all-star game.

1. Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater announced that he is bypassing the opportunity to throw for scouts at the combine and will instead wait for Louisville's Pro Day, scheduled March 17. Bridgewater confirmed that he is planning on running the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis.

Though he has been passed on the hype machine by fellow quarterbacks Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles, Bridgewater remains NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated passer in large part due to his Pro Bowl-caliber accuracy and his experience in a pro-style offense that asked him make adjustments to the defense at the line of scrimmage. Bridgewater didn't necessarily erase concerns about his ability to hold up to an NFL pass rush by measuring in at a relatively slim 6-foot-2 1/8 and 214 pounds. Dating back to high school, however, he's never missed a game due to injury, impressing with his physical and mental toughness including playing through a broken left wrist late in 2011.

Bridgewater joins Manziel and Fresno State's Derek Carr in announcing their plans to wait for their Pro Days to throw for scouts. Bortles is the only one of the four projected first round quarterbacks who will throw for scouts in Indianapolis.

2014 NFL Combine: Manziel runs unofficial 4.56
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    February 23, 2014 9:38 am ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel confirmed Sunday morning that he has ample speed, perhaps enough to override concerns about his 5-foot-11 frame.

Manziel ran 4.63 and on his second attempt clocked 4.56.

His "official time" will likely put him in the same range with several top quarterbacks in recent years, including Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Luck was clocked at 4.66 and 4.59; Newton's time was 4.59.

Kaepernick's official 40 time was 4.53.

Manziel was thought to be faster by a wide margin than the two other candidates to be the top quarterback drafted in May. Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater did not run. Central Florida's Blake Bortles was timed unofficially at 4.8.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Someone needs to explain to me the value of "unofficial" 40 times.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The false positive paradox is a statistical result where false positive tests are more probable than true positive tests. per wiki

Means nothing...

punahou is offline Registered User

Mike Evans-- 4.47 40 at Combine!

Fantanstic!

I really hope he is on the radar.

Height--speed---reach--- all the tools for the #1WR

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm salivating at the thought of coming away with a first round of Greg Robinson and Mike Evans.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the NFL could process and publicize official numbers right away, then they wouldn't be an issue. But until then, unofficial numbers will continue to be talked about, as they give everyone their first glimpse of how prospects did immediately after their run.

On a semi-related note, Sammy Watkins unofficial 4.34 in what I believe is his first attempt.

According to Jim Thomas, Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State, one of the top corners in the draft, said he met with the Rams on Saturday.

We also know the Rams met with Jake Matthews on Friday.
    Rambos likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

I'm even more certain after watching these WR drills I want nothing at all to do with Stephen Morris or Connor Shaw. Some horrible balls coming out of their hands.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 41m

Louisville's Calvin Pryor, considered one of the top safeties in the draft, said he had formal interview with Rams Saturday night.
    Nick and FestusRam like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

just to defend lee a bit

making a decision off of his 40 times would be silly

he'll jump out of the building for the vertical and broad jump lol

if ya watch his 40 closely, he seems to struggle the first 20, but the last 20 is super smooth, that's the type of runner he is

though seeing that lee is actually slower in a straight line than robert woods is definitely surprising

citr92 is offline Registered User

my god, seriously, i can hardly watch the bench press cause they bounce it off the chest so hard

stupid how you have to do that even though it could cause a horrible injury
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Brandon Coleman just locked up a First round spot...I reallly, really can't explain how good this WR class is...you are in the mist of 8 WR in round 1....Plenty of Studs ....

Brandon Coleman is using this to move up to the same level as all the elite WRs in this class...

Crooks is sooo fast, he is a stud, but Rams have Austin, so we are good....Copeland and Bryant super, sleeperss !!!!!

Mike Evans running fast....UN BEEEEE LIEVEEEA ABLE WR CLASS.....

Coleman and Evans looking like pure studdddss !!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast