Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Official Combine Thread

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    A few initial thoughts...

Sammy Watkins is still my #1 WR, but Mike Evans closed the gap.

I'm considering dropping Cyrus Kouandjio from my board.

Tre Mason solidified his status as my top RB.

Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson are close (slight edge to Matthews for me), but Taylor Lewan is more athletic than I expected.

Martavis Bryant is a big riser for me. Could be as high as my No. 4 WR behind Watkins, Evans and Benjamin.

A.J. McCarron has a better arm than I thought. Blake Bortles is very raw.
    Randart likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Official Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Richtree View Post
    Brandon Coleman just locked up a First round spot...I really, really can't explain how good this WR class is...you are in the mist of 8 WR in round 1....Plenty of Studs ....

Brandon Coleman is using this to move up to the same level as all the elite WRs in this class...

Crooks is sooo fast, he is a stud, but Rams have Austin, so we are good....Copeland and Bryant super, sleeperss !!!!!

Mike Evans running fast....UN BEEEEE LIEVEEEA ABLE WR CLASS.....

Coleman and Evans looking like pure studdddss !!!!!!!

Totally agree: Benjamin, Coleman, Evans, Watkins. Would be GREAT to have one of these at #13.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Jadeveon Clowney's first unofficial run: 4.47 forty and a 1.56 10 yard split.

THE DREAM TEAM

Aaron Donald runs a 4.65 forty with a 1.59 10 yard split. He also repped 225 35 times.

THE DREAM TEAM

Those DL times are "unofficial," of course (meaning they'll likely be slower when the official times are released), but they are impressive nonetheless. I'm actually more surprised/impressed with Donald's time.

Another one which caught my eye is Deandre Coleman, DT, California, who was projected as a Round 3-5 prospect, (unofficially) ran a 4.78 at 314 pounds.

Daniel Jeremiah‏@MoveTheSticks2mJadeveon Clowney official 40 time- 4.53
    Still very fast for a guy his size. Pretty much what people expected from Clowney. I'll be more curious to hear how his interviews went.

Randart is online now Registered User

Hey AvR liked your comment about AJ Mac, I mentioned a few months back I thought he could be a real steal in this draft. Sadly the guy showed too much at the combine, he may not be available to us when we might be ready to take a guy to groom. I sure hope our guys are doing their homework on him, he would be ideal to back up Sammy. The guy had one bad game and people kinda gave up on him, I think he might really surprise allot of us down the road when looking back at this QB class he might just be the Tom Brady of the group... IMHO- (Oh Gads I hate to use Brady as an example, dang cheatriot! grrr)

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Brandon Coleman just locked up a First round spot...I reallly, really can't explain how good this WR class is...you are in the mist of 8 WR in round 1....Plenty of Studs ....

Brandon Coleman is using this to move up to the same level as all the elite WRs in this class...

Crooks is sooo fast, he is a stud, but Rams have Austin, so we are good....Copeland and Bryant super, sleeperss !!!!!

Mike Evans running fast....UN BEEEEE LIEVEEEA ABLE WR CLASS.....

Coleman and Evans looking like pure studdddss !!!!!!!
    Why are you saying that about Coleman? Let me preface, its a pure question not a dismissal. You seem super excited about him! From the coverage yesterday I didn't hear his name much, and I don't know a lot about him. When top 5 WRs were mentioned in this or that his name wasn't up there. I would love to learn more. Is he someone you could see us taking, if so what scenario? Moving back with extra pics, moving up in the 2nd, etc?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

2014 NFL Combine: Five takeaways from Monday
    By Frank Cooney | NFLDraftScout.com
    February 24, 2014 5:10 pm ET

Kony Ealy impressed in the three-cone drill, and may be moving up draft boards. (USATSI) Kony Ealy impressed in the three-cone drill, and may be moving up draft boards. (USATSI)

Almost lost among the constant conversation surrounding what defensive end Jadeveon Clowney did and didn't do at the NFL Scouting Combine Monday, were notable performances by several other defenders, including three with intriguing backgrounds -- outside linebackers Anthony Barr and Kahlil Mack and defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

They headline the five things we learned Monday.

1. Outside linebackers in a rush

Barr, an athletic pass rusher from UCLA whose many highlight plays included the blindside sack that sidelined USC's Matt Barkley, was timed on TV in 4.66 and 4.63 in 40 yards and had only 15 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press. Those are pedestrian numbers for a player NFLDraftScout.com has rated in the top 10, but they may not have a big negative effect on his draft because his athleticism and upside are a key factor.

Mack's 40-yard time was also announced at 4.66, but he showed his explosiveness with a 40-inch vertical. And, like Barr, who led the Pac-12 with 13.5 sacks last season, is considered to have great value in terms of upside.

NFLDraftScout.com has a verified 40-yard time on Barr from last spring at just below 4.50 and he had a much faster three-cone -- 6.82 seconds -- than Mack's 7.08. That is not entirely surprising or unexpected given his offensive background.

Barr was an offensive player until his last two years and is still learning his way around the other side of the line of scrimmage. Mack, who played only one year of high school football before becoming a big fish in Buffalo's small pond looks as good on game tape as he did on the 2013 stats sheets -- 19.0 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three interceptions.

Because Barr is newer to defense, some scouts believe he has the higher ceiling.

2. Pitt's decorated DT Aaron Donald turns in more elite numbers

Donald, thought to be undersized at 6-0, 285 at Pittsburgh, played big last season and is getting bigger in the post-season.

His explosive power was obvious in games, were be blew up the line of scrimmage and led the nation with average sacks per game (1.6) and tackles for loss (2.4). On Monday, he showed why. He blasted through 40 yards in 4.86, had a 32-inch vertical and benched 225 pounds 35 times.

This should validate that this mighty mite of an interior lineman -- think John Randle skill set -- could move up in the first round of the draft.

3. Jadeveon Clowney questions, bro?

Clowney, the No. 1 rated player in the draft, did enough to show why, with a 40-yard time that was announced in 4.53 second, a vertical jump of 37.5 inches, 21 reps on bench and a 10-03 broad jump.

He had promised a 40 time in the 4.4 range, but at 4.53 is among the best ever for defensive ends at the combine. Four other defensive ends have run as fast or faster this century at the combine on NFLDraftScout.com's list.

The best time this century for a defensive end at the combine came in 2002 when UAB's Bryan Thomas, at 6-4, 266, was clocked in 4.47 and was the 22nd overall pick (New York Jets).

Clowney's 10-yard split was 1.56 seconds.

Three others had a 4.53 -- Lawrence Sidbury Jr. (6-3, 226, Richmond, fourth round, 125th overall to Atlanta); and two in 2013 -- Margus Hunt (6-8, 277, SMU, second round, 53rd overall to Cincinnati), and Cornelius Washington (6-4, 265, Georgia, sixth round, 188th overall, Chicago).

Clowney said he wanted to best Jevon Kearse's mark of 4.42, but Kearse actually ran a 4.58 and was listed as an outside linebacker when he came out of Florida in 1999. The last defensive end picked No. 1 overall in the draft was North Carolina State's Mario Williams in 2006 who, at 6-7, 299, ran 4.70.

After his impressive, albeit limited performance, Clowney pretty much stayed out of the position drills, which left him open to criticism by the talkative crew at NFL Network -- at least unit he sat among them on stage -- as well as other players.

4. Auburn's Dee Ford backed up by docs, doesn't back down

Auburn defensive lineman Dee Ford was unable to work out because, reportedly, he had back problems. But his mouth worked fine.

"I'm better (than Clowney)," he claimed "Let's put it like this. People like to talk about size all the time. Size is pretty much overrated in my eyes. People are just looking at the fact that he's a physical speciman. Honestly, if you want to watch the film, he plays like a blind dog in a meat market, basically."

When given a chance to back off, he kept his mouth doing what his feet couldn't -- running:

"When I rely on my athleticism rather than bring the technical aspects, the fundamental part, watch film to become a great pass rusher, I become a blind dog in a meat market," Ford said. "When I watch Jadeveon that's what I see. He's 6-foot-6, 240 and he just plays. But at the end of the day, does that make you a great pass rusher or a better pass rusher than me? No. ... We're not saying that dog can't run. We're just saying he can't find the meat. That wasn't a personal shot at him at all. It's just fun, it's competition."

Ford, who claims he'll be a full go March 4 at his pro day on the Auburn campus, eventually claimed "That wasn't a personal shot at him, you know what I'm saying?. ... It's all good. It's fun. It's competition. I want everybody to understand it was not a personal shot at him.

"Me a Jadeveon are cool. We laughing about the situation. I think his fans are very upset right now. But we are out here having fun and we are competing. I was just speaking matter-of-factly about the situation."

Clowney took it in stride.

"I just let that motivate me. I still think I am the best coming out of college...I feel like he was just saying something like that to just build his stock up, but it doesn't bother me.
    "I told him 'I'm still better than you'

"I just told him we'll just see what happens when we get to the next level. It's cool, it's competition, like he said. We are just enjoying ourselves. He felt like he needed something to help himself out, to throw off that heat. I'm fine with it."

The other high-profile injury scratch was Notre Dame defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt, who might also miss his the Irish pro day with a Jones fracture in his foot. The 300-pounder isn't out of the first-round picture and could benefit greatly from the NFL schedule change that leads into the first ever May draft.

Missouri junior defensive end Kony Ealy, ranked 17th overall by NFLDraftScout.com, showed the kind of explosive, quick-twitch acceleration and change-of-direction agility to be bumped up draft boards.

His 6.83-second three-cone drill was stunning for an edge defender. For perspective, consider former Pitt running back LeSean McCoy -- the Eagles running back who led the NFL in rushing in 2013 and draws legitimate comparisons to Barry Sanders for his stop-and-go suddenness -- had a verified 6.82 in the three-cone at his pro day after not working out at the combine in 2009.

5. Michael Sam ... is who we thought he was

Sam said Monday he was disappointed in his 25 1/2-inch vertical leap (nevermind his 4.91 40). We can understand why.

In 2004, Miami (Fla.) nose tackle Vince Wilfork's vertical was 26 inches at his pro day. Wilfork, the behemoth Pro Bowl lineman for the New England Patriots, was 6-1, 329 during the pre-draft measurements (safe to say he might be up a few pounds, or 10). Last February, eventual No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher had a 28 1/2 vertical. A reminder -- he's 6-7, 302 and plays offensive tackle.

The vertical and broad jump were not impressive for Sam, nor were they as vital as position workouts. He was tight and stiff in the hips and ankles and kept his head down and chest up through linebacker drills.

The workout proved what Sam showed at the Senior Bowl last month -- that his niche to begin his NFL career will be on special teams and as backup depth who might eventually get time in nickel pass-rushing situations.

Sam needs a great scheme fit to be drafted, which no longer looks like a guarantee. His fourth- or fifth-round grade in a deep draft is an indication he will not be a priority even on the third day.

Some more thoughts...

I can definitely imagine Aaron Donald in a Rams uniform, terrorizing QBs from the inside while Quinn and Long close in from the outside (with Kendall Langford keeping him fresh by playing on running downs). I just don't know that the Rams can afford (at least at their current draft positions) to invest the pick necessary (probably their No. 13) to get him.

The dilemma with the top WRs may be that neither is the guy the Rams will wish to take at No. 2, and neither will be there at No. 13.

I'm liking Tyler Gaffney of Stanford as a possible mid-round RB option. Would be a nice complimentary back with Stacy.

Though he didn't run the 40, Ryan Shazier (LB, Ohio State) put up some intriguing numbers. A second round option for the Rams (particularly if they get an extra pick in the round), perhaps?

I think the Texans will remain a mystery until close to draft day. The Rams may have to have two (contingent) deals in place. One to a team seeking Clowney (i.e. Atlanta) if Houston takes a QB, and one for a team looking at a particuarly QB (probably Manziel), if Houston goes with Jadaveon (i.e. Cleveland, Minnesota).

Looking forward to the DBs tomorrow. My CB and S rankings could definitely change based upon the workouts.

I'm not going to post any times, as they are "unofficial," but it looks like Gilbert, Dennard, Roby and Fuller are doing well in the 40, as are the big'ns (Jean-Baptiste, McGill), while Roberson, Joyner and Purifoy are a bit slower than expected.

Some official CB 40 times:

Justin Gilbert 4.37
    Bradley Roby 4.39
    Darqueze Dennard 4.51
    Stanley Jean-Baptiste 4.61
    Kyle Fuller 4.49
    Lamarcus Joyner 4.55
    Keith McGill 4.51
    Louchiez Purifoy 4.61
    Jason Verrett 4.38
    Marcus Roberson 4.61
    Pierre Desir 4.59

And... some of the notable safeties:

Deone Bucannon 4.50
    Hasean Clinton-Dix 4.58
    Calvin Pryor 4.58
    Craig Loston 4.65
    Ahmad Dixon 4.54
    Tre Boston 4.53
    Ed Reynolds 4.57
    Terrence Brooks 4.41
    Dion Bailey 4.66
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-25-2014 at 05:24 PM.

How about my guy Aaron Donald putting on? Dude is a BEAST. He's the best DT in this draft hands down. He is going to be dominant in the league. I realllllllly want him on the Rams.

THE DREAM TEAM

Some DB's I thought had pretty good days:

Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert, Haha Clinton-Dix, Terrence Brooks, Keith McGill, Phillip Gaines, and Antone Exum.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast