Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Official "Mike Wallace" Thread

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Wallace Benched?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And I will simply agree to disagree, because it's not worth the time continuing to debate point by point when it's clear we won't find common ground.
    Fair enough....

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Fair enough....
    The problem is that you're too much of a "madden thinker". Quick is not guaranteed to progress at all. For me, I understood that Quick came from a small school, so I'm patient and I CAN and expected to wait 2-3 years for him to develop. The problem is he may never.

You are expecting him to become better as well as Givens, and you're also banking on Amendola staying healthy.

So many Rams fans have complained year after year after year for a #1 WR. Why the hell would we not sign a guy who may be the fastest WR in the NFL, a true #1 WR, and someone who can instantly boost this offense to the next level?

I would LOVE the signing. He would instantly take on the #1 CB on every team. He would be good for 1,000 yards. Amendola would have MASSIVE space to operate underneath 2 HUGE deep threats. I can only drool over the thought of a 3 WR set that includes Givens, Amendola and Wallace, with SJ in the backfield. Tell me Sam would be mad....

PAY THE MAN!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The problem is that you're too much of a "madden thinker Quick is not guaranteed to progress at all. For me, I understood that Quick came from r".a small school, so I'm patient and I CAN and expected to wait 2-3 years for him to develop. The problem is he may never.
    Sosa there are no guarantees in life... Not sure I agree with the madden thinker line.

You are expecting him to become better as well as Givens, and you're also banking on Amendola staying healthy.
    If all of these guys suck next year or get hurt... Wallace is not going to save us trust me.

So many Rams fans have complained year after year after year for a #1 WR. Why the hell would we not sign a guy who may be the fastest WR in the NFL, a true #1 WR, and someone who can instantly boost this offense to the next level?
    He was a free agent last year, why did we not get him, if he's such a must have? Why?

PAY THE MAN!
    With what money?

I would LOVE the signing. He would instantly take on the #1 CB on every team. He would be good for 1,000 yards. Amendola would have MASSIVE space to operate underneath 2 HUGE deep threats. I can only drool over the thought of a 3 WR set that includes Givens, Amendola and Wallace, with SJ in the backfield. Tell me Sam would be mad....

PAY THE MAN!
    If anyone sounds like a madden thinker, it would be the fan that does not take into consideration how much will it cost and where do we get the money.

Sosa there are no guarantees in life... Not sure I agree with the madden thinker line.

If all of these guys suck next year or get hurt... Wallace is not going to save us trust me.

He was a free agent last year, why did we not get him, if he's such a must have? Why?

With what money?

If anyone sounds like a madden thinker, it would be the fan that does not take into consideration how much will it cost and where do we get the money.
    Well here is a post from another Rams fan on another forum :

" I know the Rams still have 5 games left in their season, but it is in my nature to look ahead. The NFL salary cap in 2013 will increase slightly to $121 million. The in past week Rams COO Kevin Demoff reported that the Rams currently have about $10 million in cap room for the 2013 offseason. I wanted to confirm his math, and it appears the Rams have more room than Demoff has stated.

The Rams have $75.2 million committed to 11 players making $1 million+ in 2013: Finnegan ($9 mill+$5 mill roster bonus), Long ($13.25 mill), Laurinaitis ($1 mill+$11 mill roster bonus), Bradford ($9 mill), Mikell ($6 mill), Wells ($5.5 mill), Langford ($5 mill), H. Dahl($4 mill), Hunter ($3.95 mill), Dunbar ($1.3 mill), and Quinn ($1.2 mill).

$13.74 million is designated for the 26 remaining players under contract in 2013* (* denotes that LB Sammy Brown has an undisclosed contract that is not accounted for). The players include: Brockers ($800K), Kendricks ($760K), Mulligan ($725K), Saffold ($655K), Quick ($650 K), Pettis ($580K), Hull & Sh. Smith ($575K), Pead ($570K), Barksdale & McQuaide ($555K), Johnson ($500K), Conrath, Daniels, Davis, Ganaway, Givens, Harkey, Hekker, Jenkins, McLeod, Pointer, D. Richardson, Watkins, & Zuerlein ($480 K).

So, a total of $88.94 million is due to the 37 players under contract in 2013.

Which means $32.06 million is left for free agency and the draft.

But, the Rams need to designate approximately $15 million for the upcoming draft as they spent $19.4 million on drafted players and undrafted free agents in 2012. The 2013 draft/undrafted free agency is unlikely to net 16 rookies on the Rams roster at one time or another, so St. Louis will likely spend less on the draft next year.

So, Kevin Demoff is right. The Rams will have about $17 million in cap space to designate towards free agency in 2013.

So where am I going with all of this math? Well I’m trying to get a better sense (and I hope this post is helping you too) for what the Rams will be in the market for when free agency rolls around next spring.

With that in mind, here is a list of the Rams free agents in 2013:

UFA-Amendola, Clemens, Cole, Dahl, Fletcher, Gibson, Haggan, Hayes, Jackson (voided), McIntosh, B. Richardson, St. Smith, Turner, Williams

RFA-Stewart

ERFA-Cudjo, McNeill

Bold denotes key free agents (in my opinion).

The first order of business the Rams must deal with before signing any free agents is restructuring the contracts of Sam, Mikell, and Hunter if possible. Sam has been solid in his 3 years in the league, but was drafted in the last year before the rookie salary cap came into place. Restructuring his contract to look more like a post rookie salary cap QB seems more reasonable (ex. RG3 is due $1.4 mill in 2013). Quintin Mikell’s play has been above average in his 2 years in St. Louis but he has never lived up to making the top dollar price the Rams have been paying him. The Rams likely kept him around for this season because his $9 million dollar salary is guaranteed. I would be open to restructuring his contract to something more on par with his play…say, $3 million. If he is unwilling to oblige, let him walk. As for Hunter, he has been a pleasant surprise this season, but is not worth the contract we will inherit next season ($3.5 mill). I expect him to restructure in the $1-$1.5 million range. Hunter is a good reserve tackle, particularly because he can play left tackle.

My game plan if I were to put the Les Snead hat on would be to resign the above players in bold. Danny and SJ are both focal points in our offense and our offense is noticeably less efficient when they are absent. Danny should be signed to a 3-5 year deal paying around $4-$7 million a year with incentives (a good way to reward him for being healthy). Steven has done everything for this organization over the years and is still playing at a very high level. He deserves to sign a 2-3 year deal worth $4-$5 million a year if he wishes to finish out his career in St. Louis. People overlook his value in the pass blocking game where he is arguably the top RB in the league and his ball carrying ability (has fumbled 3 times since 2010).

I think UFAs Fletcher, Hayes, and Turner deserve looks as they have all contributed significantly this season. For whatever reason Fletch has been in Fisher’s doghouse, which I do not agree with (Johnson is not better at this point). To me it seems like Fletchers demotion will lead to his unfortunate and unfair end in St. Louis this offseason. Hayes has been a force defending the run, has done well rushing the passer, and has shown the versatility to kick inside. Turner proved to be a true utility lineman (unlike Adam Goldberg) as his play at center and guard has been solid.

RFA Darian Stewart deserves one more chance with this Rams squad in 2013, as I think his 2012 has already left a sour taste in Ram fans mouths after promising 2010 and 2011 campaigns. The Rams should not bank on him being the starter, but he deserves strong consideration as a third safety (I haven’t forgotten him ending Ryan Williams’ season). I have always rooted for ERFA Jermelle Cudjo in his time with the Rams, he like Stewart, is the classic underdog-overachiever. He played strong in Brockers’ absence in the beginning of the season, but is better suited as a rotational DT. With speed and surprising strength in his small frame (6’ 295), Cudjo has proved to be a factor on run and passing downs.

Assuming the Rams save about $8-$10 million on the restructuring of the Sam, Mikell, and Hunter contracts the Rams should have about $25-$27 million for free agency. Resigning Danny, Jackson, Hayes, Turner, Stewart, and Cudjo would cost the Rams between $12-$15 million.

With the remaining $13-$15 million the Rams could address any of their 3 major positional needs: WR, OL, S. The Rams likely have enough for one premier player and a more economical option at another position.

My game plan would be to sign either Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace. If sufficient cap were left over after signing Bowe or Wallace, I would target a starting safety like Jairus Byrd. Coming away from free agency with 2 premier upgrades Bowe/Wallace (over Gibson) and Byrd (over Dahl) would be a dream scenario. I would then emphasize offensive line in the first few rounds of the 2013 draft.

Sorry for writing such a long post. Just wanted to get these thoughts out of my head and see if this could initiate a discussion. Thanks for reading! "

Take it for what you want.
    Rambos and Tampa_Ram like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Good stuff Sosa

Assuming the Rams save about $8-$10 million on the restructuring of the Sam

I have not read or heard the Rams doing this with Sam, that would be great if it happens.

I heard KD say the Rams would have about 10-11 million and they would have enough for one or two FA. To be honest he did not sound like the Rams where going to be be restructuring deals to get more cash. But you never know. I will post a link to that later...

Again thanks
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Good stuff Sosa

Assuming the Rams save about $8-$10 million on the restructuring of the Sam

I gave not read or heard the Rams going this with Sam, that would be great if it happens.

I heard KD say the Rams would have about 10-11 million and they would have enough for one or two FA. To be honest he did not sound like the Rams where going to be be restructuring deals to get more cash. But you never know. I will post a link to that later...

Again thanks
    I think there is a good chance those 3 guys restructure. 2 of them basically have to, unless they want to see the door, the other has to do it to help with the guys around him (many QB's have done it, Sanchez as the latest).

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think there is a good chance those 3 guys restructure. 2 of them basically have to, unless they want to see the door, the other has to do it to help with the guys around him (many QB's have done it, Sanchez as the latest).
    How much of a cap hit would it be to let Mikell go during the offseason?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

And just to clarify an earlier question, the main reason Mike Wallace wasn't signed away as a free agent last year is because he was a restricted free agent given the first-round tender. That's basically a non-starter for most teams at this point.

If the Rams enter Year Two of the Fisher regime and only have about $10-12 million in cap room, then it would be wise to do some work to free up more room rather than just sit tight with that limited amount of space. This team is making progress, but they need more help at a number of positions. I don't think that $10-12 million, which would include whatever the rookie allotment is, allows for much wiggle room.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    How much of a cap hit would it be to let Mikell go during the offseason?
    I'm not great with the cap stuff, but I'd guess only the amount he's guaranteed.

" Signed a four-year, $27 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus and all of Mikell's first two base salaries. 2012: $1 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2013: $6 million, 2014: $7 million, 2015: Free Agent"

I believe we'd be off the hook completely, but maybe somebody else can chime in.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I'm not great with the cap stuff, but I'd guess only the amount he's guaranteed.

" Signed a four-year, $27 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus and all of Mikell's first two base salaries. 2012: $1 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2013: $6 million, 2014: $7 million, 2015: Free Agent"

I believe we'd be off the hook completely, but maybe somebody else can chime in.
    If we could get rid of him without taking any kind of hit, could then sign one of the FA safeties without much of a change. That'd be nice. Would still leave us room for 2 more big FA signings(WR, OT, etc.)

Demoff:

For us, we always take a three year snapshot of the salary cap and make sure that we can build flexibility moving forward. One thing we are looking at right now is with all of the draft picks this year and in the future is managing the salary cap for 2015/2016 so we can re-sign all of those picks and keep our homegrown talent in St. Louis. I know enough from the fans here that there is nothing more frustrating than watching good young players leave your building. We will try to use up our cap room in 2013 and 2014 to re-sign our own guys (Long, Laurinaitis, Amendola, etc) leaving the future cap room to re-sign our younger guys just coming into the program. We currently have about $3m in room and hopefully can roll that over to next year.
    I posted this just to show that KD pretty much is a straight shooter... he does not try and spin things. He said this was the plan and they did it.

Friday, November 16, 2012
    101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Kevin Demoff

Here is the interview it's long, good stuff on Amendola and the future plans with the Rams on how we will spend the money.

The one thing that caught my attention is early on he says they added Finnegan bonus money into this year caps 2013... I was was shocked and bummed when I heard him say we did not have 40 mil next year.

I just get the feeling they will not break the bank on one player, maybe I'm wrong.

Hey Nick wouldn't ya know? Big Ben returns to the team and Mike Wallace goes off for 120 yards and 2 TD's.... WOW! What a surprise....

....welp.

The guys a #1. Thats all there is to it.

THE DREAM TEAM

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Wallace was a beast today. I still would love to sign him. I know the reasons why we might not but if it comes down to Amendola or Wallace I'd rather have Wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Wallace was a beast today. I still would love to sign him. I know the reasons why we might not but if it comes down to Amendola or Wallace I'd rather have Wallace.
    More import so was Gibson!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey Nick wouldn't ya know? Big Ben returns to the team and Mike Wallace goes off for 120 yards and 2 TD's.... WOW! What a surprise....