Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Re: The Official NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Lawrence Timmons is looking a little light too. The last thing we need is another undersized linebacker.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Why do they keep showing Brady Quinn so much? Is he that good? Is it important that he can bench press as a QB?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

My Top Linebacker choices:
    1. Patrick Willis
    2. Jon Beason
    3. Lawrence Timmons
    4. Stewart Bradley
    5. Prescott Burgess
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think we should overreact to Okoye putting on some weight. He came in low at the Senior Bowl and said he was going to add weight, and he did. He also said his ideal playing weight is right around 295 pounds. I'm really not convinced that he's going to continue to put on pounds into the typical nose tackle range.
    Whoever said he was a typical NT. Personally, I think this guy shouldn't be an undersized NT, but an oversized UT. He can penetrate and at 19, his body will probably add a few more pounds before he's done. I expect him to settle in around 310, not bad for a UT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Calvin Johnson continues to live up to his billing as one of the best WR prospects to come along in quite some time, as he clocked in at 4.35 in the forty yard dash. Here are some other WR numbers...

Aundrae Allison (6'0" 192): 4.39
    Dwayne Bowe (6'2" 221): 4.51
    Steve Breaston (6'0" 193): 4.41
    Craig Davis (6'1" 207): 4.46
    Anthony Gonzalez (6'0" 193): 4.44
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (5'11" 186): 4.48
    Jason Hill (6'0" 204): 4.32
    Calvin Johnson (6'5" 239): 4.35
    Robert Meachem (6'2" 214): 4.36
    Sidney Rice (6'3" 200): 4.53
    Chansi Stuckey (5'10" 197): 4.61
    Paul Williams (6'1" 205): 4.41

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    My Top Linebacker choices:
    1. Patrick Willis
    2. Jon Beason
    3. Lawrence Timmons
    4. Stewart Bradley
    5. Prescott Burgess
    IMO Beason really projects to the weak side at the next level, perhaps the middle in a Cover 2 scheme. I think that takes him off of our radar. I believe Timmons, though he came in a few inches shorter than expected, still has a body of work and skill set that suggests he can man the strong side in an aggressive athletic scheme like the one we run. At this point though, he's going to have to go out there and impress people tomorrow with his bench press, in the shuttles, and in the forty yard dash and display that kind of ability in assessments.

From a size perspective, Bradley and Burgess both appear to be more along the lines of what people look for when they think of a SAM 'backer. Bradley would be the much better choice, because while Burgess has the measurables he's never put it all together and I have questions about his upside at the next level. I think Burgess is a guy we could look at in the middle rounds if we haven't done anything to address the position yet. Bradley is a guy who I think has solidified a spot on Day One and I'm anxious to see how he looks in drills.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Whoever said he was a typical NT. Personally, I think this guy shouldn't be an undersized NT, but an oversized UT. He can penetrate and at 19, his body will probably add a few more pounds before he's done. I expect him to settle in around 310, not bad for a UT.
    No one said he was a typical nose tackle, which is why I didn't quote anyone specifically. I was making a general comment about what I expected some to say - "now that his weight's back up, maybe he is a nose tackle." I don't think that's the case. He simply did what he said he was going to do, and his doing so doesn't change the way he plays or the ideal playing weight he himself cited.

Rams | Team spoke with J. Simpson at the Senior Bowl
    Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:53:42 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Alabama LB Juwan Simpson said he spoke with the St. Louis Rams at the Senior Bowl.

Rams| Team showing interest in Olajubutu
    Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:21:36 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Arkansas LB Sam Olajubutu said the St. Louis Rams were one of the teams showing interest in him.

Rams | R. Alexander talks with team
    Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:58:13 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Oklahoma LB Rufus Alexander said he has talked with the St. Louis Rams.

NFL | Timmons discusses role in 3-4 defense
    Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:17:07 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Florida State LB Lawrence Timmons measured a height of 6-0 7/8 and a weight of 234 pounds. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. During the interview, Timmons was asked where in the 3-4 scheme he felt most comfortable. Timmons said, "In our 3-4 at FSU I played at Will and Sam so I played both outsides. We switched it up, 3-4 and 4-3. We did more 4-3. We ran 3-4 like 25 percent of the time."

NFL | Olajubutu asked about moving to safety
    Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:16:35 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Arkansas LB Sam Olajubutu measured a height of more than 5-8 and a weight of 227 pounds. His agent is Marty Magid. Olajubutu said about "30 or 40 percent" of teams have asked him about playing some safety. "I think I can just play football, no matter where you put me on the field. I'll be able to pay football," Olajubutu added.

NFL | Everett discusses one of his strengths
    Sun, 25 Feb 2007 07:57:41 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Florida LB Earl Everett measured a height of 6-2 and a weight of 238 pounds. His agent is Hadley Englehardt. During the interview, Everett was asked to discuss one of his strengths. "My strength is my speed. Covering a back out of the backfield. Covering down on the slot receiver. I can do those things," Everett said.

NFL | Branch comfortable all along the defensive line
    Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:39:47 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Michigan DT Alan Branch measured a height of 6-5 1/2 and a weight of 324 pounds. During the interview he discussed the different positions he played with Michigan. "Nosetackle my freshman year, defensive end my sophomore year and defensive three technique my junior year. I love all of them. As long as it's on the d-line, I feel comfortable. When I learn defenses, I try to learn all three just in case you get caught out of place and you've got to switch positions. I'm not going to get caught not knowing what I'm supposed to do. I feel anywhere along that defensive line is home for me," Branch said.

NFL | R. Alexander feels he would work well in a Cover-2 scheme
    Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:35:34 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Oklahoma LB Rufus Alexander measured a height of 6-0 and change and a weight of 228 pounds. During his interview, Alexander was asked why a Cover-2 scheme would work well for him. Alexander said, "Because it's more for your speedier guy on the outside, a guy who can make plays in space, make tackles on receivers and guys coming out of the backfield."

NFL | Teams concerned about Harrell's bicep
    Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:04:51 -0800

At the NFL Combine, Tennessee DT Justin Harrell (biceps) measured a height of 6-4 3/4 and a weight of 300 pounds. There is a concern about Harrell's bicep. He plans to take part in the bench press and is hoping to complete 25 repetitions.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-25-2007 at 04:29 PM.

No one said he was a typical nose tackle, which is why I didn't quote anyone specifically. I was making a general comment about what I expected some to say - "now that his weight's back up, maybe he is a nose tackle." I don't think that's the case. He simply did what he said he was going to do, and his doing so doesn't change the way he plays or the ideal playing weight he himself cited.
    We agree, Nick. I didn't mean to imply that he was our answer at NT. However, I'm sure some will quickly jump to make that argument. He is a solid UT prospect. My point was that at 19 years old, I think it's hard to tell what his true playing weight is. I doubt that most college freshmen (19 years old) play at the same weight as they would when they get to the pros (21-23).

He probably has a little bulk to put on, but again as a big penetrating disruptive UT, not the space eating NT that some are expecting.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I know my Rams bias is showing, but.......

...is it just me, or did Mike Nolan (in his press conference at the combine) look and sound like an absolute phallic cranium?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I was just reading through all the posts and when I was reading about defensive lineman this guy stuck out at me. Paul Soliai. What's the deal with him? I've never even heard his name mentioned before and I don't know anything about his college years. Just based on his height and his weight he seems to be the massive run stopper that we are craving. Or is he not worth picking?

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

I just saw that Tank Tyler hit 42 on the bench. That's a lot of raw power and he played NT for the Pack in a 4-3 penetrating defence. I think he would be great for us in the second round. What do ya'll think?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

To people who think Willis is to slow to play outside... He just ran a 4.49!

Timmons ran a 4.59!
    RamsFan16

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Amobi Okoye Reports to The Combine At 302 lds

Early reports on Okoye stated that he was gonna come in at about 285 lbs, however, I read today in the Post that he is up to 302. I used to be a skeptic but the bigger this guy gets, the more I hope he falls to the Rams.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Amobi Okoye Reports to The Combine At 302 lds

I still have us taken him at 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    To people who think Willis is to slow to play outside... He just ran a 4.49!

Timmons ran a 4.59!
    A 4.49 is a lot better than some expected from him, so he'll likely be moving up boards and could secure a spot in the mid first. That being said, the concern about Willis playing outside isn't as much a speed issue as it is a coverage issue. Most have acknowledged that he has good speed and sideline to sideline range.

The question is whether or not he's able to drop back in coverage and stay with a guy in coverage. I still think he's a much better MLB than he'd be on the outside, particularly at SAM. And if that's the case, with the announcement that Witherspoon is staying put, one has to wonder how much of an option he really is for this team.

As for Timmons, I think he did well today, too. A 4.59 in the forty complimented by 25 reps on the bench as an OLB, I think that was fairly good for him. Between these numbers and him measuring in two inches shorter than advertised, I'm not sure what's going to happen with his stock. I'm anxious to see the agility results for both, though.

Here are some of the other LB numbers...

LB numbers...

Name (Hgt/Wgt): 40 time, Bench

Jon Abbate (5'9" 231): 4.98, 26
    Rufus Alexander (6'0" 228): 4.7, 25
    Jon Beason (6'0" 237): 4.64, 19
    Desmond Bishop (6'1" 239): ???, 33
    Quincy Black (6'1" 240): 4.42, 24
    HB Blades (5'10" 236): ???, 22
    Stewart Bradley (6'3" 254): 4.69, 28
    Prescott Burgess (6'3" 240) 4.85 19
    Buster Davis (5'9" 239): 4.67, 24
    Justin Durant (6'0" 230): 4.51, 25
    Earl Everett (6'2" 238): 4.88, 19
    David Harris (6'2" 243): 4.53, 23
    Paul Posluszny (6'1" 238): 4.67, 22
    Juwan Simpson (6'2" 225): 4.51, 15
    Lawrence Timmons (6'0" 234): 4.59, 25
    Patrick Willis (6'1" 242): 4.49, 22
    Since I'm unable to watch the combine (no NFL Network), here are my general impressions based on those numbers: Beason's numbers weren't as good as I was expecting and, if he was a borderline first rounder, may slide him into the second. Stewart Bradley continues to impress both with his straight line speed and reps for a guy of his size. He should continue to rise, maybe into the second round. Prescott Burgess' numbers are disappointing. If you're a big slower guy, you should at least compensate with some strength. Poz did about as expected, so I'm not sure if his numbers will cause him to rise or fall much either way.

Country is offline Registered User

1. Willis has some speed and is the best option at LB period.

2. Tank Tyler did 42 reps and has now benched himself into the 1st round and out of reach of the Rams in the 2nd round.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast