Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Official (Pre-Combine) ClanRam Draft Board - Discuss the Results

Okay... I totaled the votes by assinging point values for each spot on the voters' draft boards (i.e. 5 points for #1, 4 points for #2, etc.). Here are the totals for all players who received at least 2 votes (and their vote totals):

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forrest (121)
    2. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia (98)
    3. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech (79)
    4. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama (49)
    5. B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College (42)
    6. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State (23)
    7. Jason Smith, OT, Baylor (19)
    8. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas (15)
    9. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss (8)
    10. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC (4)

Others receiving individual votes (w/their point totals): Rey Maualuga (4), Fili Moala (2), James Laurinaitis (2), Matthew Stafford (2), Tyson Jackson (1).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Official (Pre-Combine) ClanRam Draft Board - Discuss the Results

That looks like a pretty fair consortium board. A month from now, I could see some risers and fallers. Such as.....

1. I see Monroe overtaking Curry, as reports come out that Curry will not project to a 4-3 MIKE. Hope I'm wrong about that one, but I could see it.

2. The two biggest risers? Jason Smith and Brian Orakpo. The Combine will be a showcase for those two and many will want to bump them up the board.

3. The biggest dropper? Andre Smith. The Combine (ie. biggest board movement stimulator this month) is all about measurement. And Smith's 6'4" height and less than ape-like arms are going to hurt his case to project to the outside of an NFL o-line.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-09-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Curious that Curry is running away with the lead right now considering most of the recent threads have focused on Crabtree and the offensive linemen. Looks like the silent majority has spoken. Not that it isn't deserved. I only see one list in the thread that doesn't include his name (not counting the ones that were deleted).

Of course, if there was more of a consensus on who the top offensive tackle prospect was, I'd imagine Curry would fall to second.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Jason Smith is rising, the Knocks on him are that he didn't play in a pro style offense and he isn't that big. He is as tenacious as Andre Smith and Athletic as Eugene Monroe. He might not be as good of a run blocker as Smith or as good of a pass blocker as Monroe, but he does a damn good job in both aspects of the game and has the highest ceiling of all 3 tackles. He is a name to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Jason Smith is rising, the Knocks on him are that he didn't play in a pro style offense and he isn't that big. He is as tenacious as Andre Smith and Athletic as Eugene Monroe. He might not be as good of a run blocker as Smith or as good of a pass blocker as Monroe, but he does a damn good job in both aspects of the game and has the highest ceiling of all 3 tackles. He is a name to watch out for.
    I found it interesting that he scored higher than Michael Oher.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Of course, if there was more of a consensus on who the top offensive tackle prospect was, I'd imagine Curry would fall to second.
    Probably so, given that the top two OTs (Monroe, A.Smith) had a combined score of 147.

Warner4prez Guest

In the onset of the offseason my initial thought was that we should focus on offense, but I'm beginning to wonder more about that.
    I honestly think our young D is only a few key pieces away from being something worth mentioning in the NFL. AV is making me wonder if Raji is the best pick these days. I'd still love to see a great young MLB though.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That looks like a pretty fair consortium board. A month from now, I could see some risers and fallers. Such as.....

1. I see Monroe overtaking Curry, as reports come out that Curry will not project to a 4-3 MIKE. Hope I'm wrong about that one, but I could see it.

2. The two biggest risers? Jason Smith and Brian Orakpo. The Combine will be a showcase for those two and many will want to bump them up the board.

3. The biggest dropper? Andre Smith. The Combine (ie. biggest board movement stimulator this month) is all about measurement. And Smith's 6'4" height and less than ape-like arms are going to hurt his case to project to the outside of an NFL o-line.

Agree with all the points there. Although our opinion on the board accounts for exactly zero percent of the actual draft equation, I'd like to see more people come around on the offensive line pick, and switch the top two choices.

Glad to see Malcolm Jenkins that high on the list as well.

Majpain Guest

Wow Oher so far down on the list.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    What concerns me about Jason Smith is that he may have "Kyle Turley Syndrome". Recall that when Turdley first went to college he was a 220 lb TE and he eventually grew into a 305 lb Tackle. This was all well and good for awhile until he developed serious lumbar disc problems which required major surgery to correct, and has all but ruined his NFL career. I believe that Mr. Turdley did not have the physical capacity to carry the extra weight effectively and it eventually caused him to break down. Hopefully this is not the case with J. Smith, but one has to wonder.

WHAT SAY YE?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

A solid draft board.

Can't believe Crabtree only got 79, because as Goldenfleece stated, mostly all the threads in this section of the forum for the past 3 weeks have been nothing but Crabtree threads.

"We need Crabtree"
    "Why the Rams need Crabtree"
    "Reasons why I think Crabtree is the answer"
    "Crabtree is like Fitzgerald"
    "A dominant playmaker like Crabtree cannot be passed up"

And on and on...

Good to see Raji in the middle rather than the bottom, Curry looks nice on the top of the list, Monroe is getting up there, Jason Smith woohoo now seems more popular than Oher.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

BTW who voted for Tyson Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    A solid draft board.

Can't believe Crabtree only got 79, because as Goldenfleece stated, mostly all the threads in this section of the forum for the past 3 weeks have been nothing but Crabtree threads.

"We need Crabtree"
    "Why the Rams need Crabtree"
    "Reasons why I think Crabtree is the answer"
    "Crabtree is like Fitzgerald"
    "A dominant playmaker like Crabtree cannot be passed up"
    Right now, the Crabtree supporters can be accurately described as a vocal minority.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower
    Although our opinion on the board accounts for exactly zero percent of the actual draft equation
    Not true, shower. Turns out, I am Billy Devaney. Who would you like? I'll make it happen.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not true, shower. Turns out, I am Billy Devaney. Who would you like? I'll make it happen.
    Wait, I'm confused. I thought I was Billy Devaney???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast