Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Official Pro Days Thread

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Official Pro Days Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But why would you drop him if there's no doubt in your mind that he will be a superstar at the next level?
    Well depends on what you're talking about. If I'm doing a mock draft I'm going to plan prospects according to how the teams GM would pick, not myself. If I had a choice in this first round as a GM and I needed an RB, I'd consider Michael in the first, but would probably wait until the 2nd to take him because there is a very good chance he is still there.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well depends on what you're talking about. If I'm doing a mock draft I'm going to plan prospects according to how the teams GM would pick, not myself. If I had a choice in this first round as a GM and I needed an RB, I'd consider Michael in the first, but would probably wait until the 2nd to take him because there is a very good chance he is still there.
    Okay. It just seems to me that if there was a prospect in which I had no doubt would be a superstar at the next level, I'd take him as soon as I could, even if I had someone at that position. It's just not that often that a prospect who one has no doubt in their mind will be a superstar at the next level comes along.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pro Day: Strong positional workouts the story at UCLA
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    March 13, 2013 1:36 pm ET

After strong performances at the Senior Bowl and combine, UCLA stars Datone Jones and Johnathan Franklin knew they didn't have to do much at their Pro Day in terms of timed workouts and they didn't, choosing instead to focus on positional drills.

With only UCLA and NFL personnel allowed into the workout, specific numbers weren't immediately available. However, one source on hand who did see the workouts was willing to provide a general overview of some of the positional workouts turned in by UCLA's most prominent prospects.

Jones, according to the source, demonstrated the light feet and good upper body explosiveness during bag drills he'd used in racking up 17 1/2 tackles for loss as a senior.

Frankin's athleticism continues to impress. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder who clocked in at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the Combine, showed off his burst by accelerating through the "holes" and exploding in his lateral cuts. He also caught the ball well during this portion of the drills.

Jones is still considered the favorite to be the first Bruin selected on draft day, perhaps in the first round. Franklin seems to be gaining on him, however, earning second-round grades from a number of clubs. There is growing sentiment that he is the second-rated back behind Alabama's Eddie Lacy. Frankin currently ranks fourth among running backs on NFLDraftScout.com's board, after a spectacular senior campaign (1,734 rushing yards) and impressing us in Mobile.

Tight end Joseph Fauria had more on the line after suffering what appeared to be a hip injury during East-West Shrine Game practices, which caused him to miss most of the combine workout.

Fauria accelerated smoothly during his timed drills but is not an explosive runner. When pressed, the source estimated him to have run in the 4.8s in the 40-yard dash. He was impressive during positional drills, demonstrating very good burst in and out of his breaks during short- and medium-range routes and catching the ball cleanly.

Fauria isn't an explosive threat down the seam but uses his 6-foot-7, 259-pound frame well around in the red zone, as evidenced by the fact that he led the Bruins with 12 receiving touchdowns as a senior and leaves with 20 over his career, tied for third in school history.

2013 Draft: Underrated Williams rocks Alabama pro day
    By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
    March 13, 2013 6:40 pm ET

Bull-strong defensive tackle Jesse Williams set many pens to paper at Alabama's pro day Wednesday in Tuscaloosa.

A star attraction at the combine -- he did 30 reps of 225 when many were projecting as many as 50 -- Williams stood out again in the presence of dozens of scouts Wednesday, when all 32 teams were represented.

Williams posted a 40-yard dash in the range of 4.84-4.92 seconds, and then he posted a 7.69 three-cone time even at 6-3, 326 pounds, displaying for NFL types how exactly he earned his nickname "Monster."

"I feel more comfortable being here because I played here and we practiced out here every day," Williams said. "It is always good to come back here and show everyone what I got."

Alabama had four first-round picks in 2012, and four in 2011. The Crimson Tide could match that number in April. Or possibly exceed it.

Cornerback Dee Milliner, offensive guard Chance Warmack, offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, Williams and running back Eddie Lacy are candidates to go in the first round on April 25.

Milliner, the No. 1-ranked cornerback in the draft, is recovering from shoulder surgery and his All-Pro junior season, combined with a stellar combine workout left him nothing to prove to evaluators. He had his arm in a sling after surgery to repair a torn labrum.

Warmack and Fluker worked themselves into a full lather from competing in position drills. Each held a blocking pad for the other and held nothing back, performing with top effort on a day when neither had much -- if anything -- to gain.

"I ain't scared of nobody," said the loquacious Fluker. "Work day, baby. That's how we do it. It's the Bama way."

Warmack has several private team visits arranged but did not want to disclose specifics regarding his March itinerary. Head coach Nick Saban said it didn't much matter where Warmack winds up -- he'll make that team better from Day One.

"He's very powerful, he's athletic, he's got good feet, he can pass block and he can get moving in the run game," Saban said. "I think people that have his kind of balance and body control and the kind of athleticism that he has at his size are rare commodities. Everybody knows that those guys play 12, 14, 15 years. I think Chance has a chance to have that kind of career."

Lacy faces the most doubt, if only because he was again unable to display his ability to scouts who'll now have to return to Alabama for a future pro day that isn't yet scheduled. If he wants to be the third Crimson Tide running back drafted in three years, following Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, Lacy must display his competitiveness and ability for scouts in a workout setting.

"I'm not concerned about it at all," Lacy said. "NFL coaches like you because of what you do in games and what you do in big stadiums. ... This is just something that you want to receive glowing evaluations, but at the end of the day somebody takes you."

West Virginia Pro Day: Geno Smith shows first-round stuff
    By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
    March 14, 2013 11:20 am ET

West Virginia's campus was swimming with scouts on Thursday. Quarterback Geno Smith and Tavon Austin were the star attractions.

Smith showed a mastery of his 64-play scripted workout put together by his personal coach and former NFL quarterback, Chris Weinke. He completed 60-of-64 with two drops by Stedman Bailey.

Most impressive in the workout was his downfield touch and accuracy, zip on the move and balance throughout his compact release.

Smith's college playbook from the "Air Raid" system was mostly horizontal and crossing route dependent. Intermediate accuracy is his greatest strength. What evaluators needed to see was whether Smith can throw on the move, maintain his balance and accuracy on rollouts and waggle design, and throw with zip while hitting targets at 25-plus yards and beyond.

Thursday's pro day was attended by 28 NFL teams. The Eagles worked out Smith earlier in the week and ran him through an unrehearsed, full-scale passing workout that exceeded 80 throws. Bills general manager Buddy Nix was present as were high-ranking reps for the Chiefs (No. 1), Jaguars (No. 2), Raiders (No. 3), Browns (6) and Cardinals (7), among others.

Head coach Gus Bradley represented the Jaguars, and Mike Tomlin represented the Steelers, who could have interest in Austin after losing Mike Wallace in free agency. The Minnesota Vikings, who lost another high-profile receiver in Percy Harvin, were also on hand to look closely at a player with a similar skill set in Austin.

Any team interested in Smith will want to see more and get him out of the overpracticed routine that he owned at the team's indoor practice facility on Thursday.

If he can replicate his pro day performance in that next phase of the predraft gauntlet after a solid showing at the scouting combine, Smith solidifies a spot in the top half of the first round.

Oregon State shows off its top talents at pro day
    By Gil Brandt
    Published: March 15th, 2013 | Tags:

Oregon State University’s pro day work out was held on Friday indoors on FieldTurf. It featured 17 teams with 11 OSU players. No NFL head coaches were in attendance.

Jordan Toyer, DB (6-foot, 190 pounds) — Worked out at NFL Scouting Combine. He recorded a 28 1/2-inch vertical, 9-foot-7 broad jump, and 11 reps at 225. He did positional workouts as a defensive back.

Markus Wheaton, WR, (5-foot-11 1/8, 186 pounds) — Did wide receiver drills. He caught the ball very well, but he had some trouble tracking the ball overhead on long throws.

Colin Kelly, (6-foot-4 3/4, 298 pounds) — He’s a seventh-round choice or a priority free agent kind of player. Kelly ran the 40-yard dash in a time of 5.4 seconds in both attempts. He had a 29 1/2-inch vertical, a 9-foot-3 broad jump, ran the short-shuttle in 4.52 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.27 seconds. He did 28 reps of 225 pounds. He had a good positional work out.

Pro Day Review - March 16th
    Russ Lande passes along what he has been told by NFL sources from some of this week's Pro Days.
    Russ Lande
    March 16, 2013

Now that the Combine is over, NFL personnel are in the thick of the Pro Day schedule traveling all over the country working out prospects. As there are so many Pro Days across the country, we cannot be everywhere at once, so we rely upon a network of NFL sources that we have built during our time working for the Rams and Browns. Below is a breakdown of what we have been told by different NFL sources at these workouts:

1. Florida: Matt Elam, SAF (5097, 208 and 4.53 – All from Combine) and Josh Evans, SAF (6010, 207 and 4.48 – 40 Time from Pro Day):

Having been hyped as a premier safety prospect throughout the 2012 season, Elam’s workout at Florida’s Pro Day was solid, but not spectacular. Although his 40 time at the Combine was not stellar, during the workout Elam displayed excellent foot quickness accelerating to full speed and the elite speed to give him great range in coverage. In games, Elam was much more effective in coverage on passes in front of him and struggled when he had to flip his hips to adjust in coverage. During his workout at the Pro Day, Elam displayed a little tightness in his hips and was not as quick or smooth flipping hips and changing directions as elite safeties usually are. Obviously, Elam’s lack of ideal size is an issue for NFL teams and the hip tightness he showed in his workout raises concerns about if he has the top level athleticism to make up for that lack of size. Teams definitely are impressed with his competitiveness, football intelligence and aggressive playing style, which should keep him from sliding out of the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft.

While Evans has been viewed as the “other safety” at Florida throughout the 2012 season and not regarded as a top prospect, sources at the Florida Pro Day told us that Evans had a strong all-around workout. Although not an explosive athlete, Evans was smooth throughout the positional drills staying over his feet and changing directions easily. One NFL person in attendance told us that it was clear to him that Evans is the more flexible and fluid athlete of the two safeties, Matt Elam being the other, and that he felt Evans was also better in coverage in games. Although his workout was impressive and we think he warrants being selected above Elam, the sources we spoke with said that while they agreed with our evaluation of Evans as a better prospect that Elam will still likely be selected first.

2. Michigan State: William Gholston, DE (6062, 281 and 5.00 – 40 Time from Pro Day), Dion Sims, TE (6047, 262 and 4.74) and Le’Veon Bell, RB (6013, 230 and 4.59):

After a disappointing Combine, Gholston needed to step up at his Pro Day to have any chance of being drafted in the first two rounds, but he did not do so. When he ran in the high 4.9’s at the Combine, many expected he would improve upon that at his Pro Day, but when he ran a 5.00 40 it was not a good start to the day. Not only was his 40 time disappointing, but his positional workout did not impress as teams came away feeling he definitely is a “tweener.” A long and linear defensive end, Gholston did not show the foot quickness or explosiveness during the workout, which only accentuated what he showed on film in 2012, to threaten the corner as an edge pass rusher. At the same time he did not show good flexibility to maintain leverage to be an effective two gap player. Most concerning however was the lack of aggressiveness, intensity and passion that Gholston displayed during the workout. An NFL source in attendance told me that Gholston’s demeanor throughout the workout made them question if he has the mental makeup to handle being a five technique who has to anchor and physically control blocker. Although Gholston’s workout did not help his draft status, both Dion Sims and Le’Veon Bell definitely helped their stock.

Sims looked in even better shape than he was at the Combine and an excellent workout. For such a big tight end, he displayed shocking balance, body control and coordination running routes and catching passes. His hands and ball skills catching passes were extremely impressive throughout the workout. Almost as impressive was his ability to bend knees and sink hips to maintain good leverage throughout the blocking drills. As a player who was not a good blocker in games, Sims looked much better in blocking drills during his Pro Day. An NFL source in attendance told us that while Sims’ production on film is that of a third round pick, if someone just saw his Pro Day workout they would come away feeling that Sims warrants first round consideration.

A strong and powerful back, Bell impressed at the Combine by running in the mid 4.5’s in his 40 and with a strong all-around workout and he did not disappoint at his Pro Day. With a number of running back coaches in attendance, Bell displayed better quickness, movement skills and blocking ability than expected. He did a good job of staying over his feet and using good technique in the pass blocking drills. Unlike many 225+ backs, Bell’s hands and receiving skills were impressive throughout his workout. Able to twist to catch a few off-target passes, he displayed soft, natural hands. While he is still not viewed as a premier prospect, a number of sources at Michigan State’s Pro Day told us they believe he will be selected in the second or third round.

Georgia Pro Day: Jarvis Jones produces mixed results, others shine
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    March 21, 2013 4:05 pm ET

If prospects were drafted on production alone, Georgia's Jarvis Jones would be in the conversation to be the No. 1 overall pick. But for Jones, his path to the NFL is a little more complex.

On Thursday at Georgia's Woodruff Practice Fields, Jones and 16 other former Bulldogs worked out for scouts at the school's on-campus Pro Day. All 32 NFL teams were represented, including several head coaches and general managers, including Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, Jets head coach Rex Ryan and Giants general manager Jerry Reese.

After tripping on his first 40-yard dash attempt, Jones ran an official 4.92 on his second attempt, according to the school's athletic department. He also added 20 reps on the bench press, 30-inch vertical and a 9-foot-3 broad jump, results that would have placed him near the bottom of the linebacker rankings at the combine. Jones decided not to work out in Indianapolis last month, choosing instead to focus on his health and “take all the tests needed.”

Jones was diagnosed with spinal stenosis while at USC in 2009, an injury that kept him from finding the field for the Trojans. After transferring to Georgia and playing two relatively healthy seasons, the durability concerns are a large part of his draft projection due to the long-term ramifications. As Rob Rang reported this week, Jones will participate in the “combine re-check” on April 5-6 in Indianapolis to review the medical progress and analysis of flagged conditions. But on Thursday, the emphasis was on Jones' athleticism and performance in drills, not about his durability concerns.

“At the end of the day, everybody knows what I do,” Jones told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I'm a football player. I compete. Today, I left it on the field. It is what it is. I've just got to take my visits and continue to work on becoming a better football player.”

Jones, who measured 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds at the combine, confirmed he has workouts scheduled with the Kansas City Chiefs (who own the No. 1 overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft), the Detroit Lions and the Philadelphia Eagles.

“At the end of the day, I think I'm the No. 1 player.”

The mediocre workout numbers weren't surprising for Jones as he lacks elite athleticism and is often unfairly compared to Von Miller due to his college production off the edge. Jones, who looked “average” in positional drills according to a pro scout in attendance, has the ability to be an impact run-and-chase player, but many question his ability in tight quarters to take on and shed blocks. Jones has proven he can be effective if given space to operate, but he doesn't always properly use his length or strength once engaged, struggling to win with secondary moves.

As long as teams feel comfortable with the medical aspect of Jones' game, he will likely find himself in the mid-first round on draft day.

Other results from Georgia's Pro Day:
    -- Another possible Bulldog first-round defender, linebacker Alec Ogletree, showcased his athleticism for the dozens of scouts in attendance, running his 40-yard dash in the 4.58-4.65 range. He was clocked at 4.70 “official” at the combine, which ranked him middle of the pack among linebackers. Ogletree also “starred” in the other drills.

-- A combine snub, cornerback Branden Smith, turned heads with his athletic showing on Thursday, clocking a 4.38 40-yard dash, 10-foot-8 broad jump and 34-inch vertical jump.

- Pass rusher Cornelius Washington decided to stand on his numbers from the combine, which wasn't a surprise after he tested better than expected in Indianapolis. Safety Shawn Williams and wide receiver Tavarres King also decided to rest on their combine results.

- Here are other results from participants, according to Seth Emerson of The Macon Telegraph:

40-yard dash times
    Kwame Geathers 5.35
    John Jenkins: 5.20
    Abry Jones: 5.15
    Christian Robinson: 4.95
    Mike Gilliard: 4.79
    Bacarri Rambo: 4.59
    Richard Samuel: 4.56
    Branden Smith: 4.38

Broad jump
    Richard Samuel: 10-5 1/2
    Bacarri Rambo: 9-9
    Christian Robinson: 9-5
    Mike Gilliard: 9-5
    Kwame Geathers: 8-7
    Jon Richt: 8-5
    Ty Frix: 8-3
    John Jenkins: 8-0

Vertical jump
    Richard Samuel: 36.5
    Bacarri Rambo: 34.5
    Mike Gilliard: 30.5
    Christian Robinson: 30
    Kwame Geathers: 29
    Ty Frix: 28.5
    John Jenkins: 24.5
    Jon Richt: 24.5

Bench press
    Richard Samuel: 23
    Sanders Commings: 23
    Kwame Geathers: 21
    Christian Robinson: 20
    Ty Frix: 16
    Marlon Brown: 10

Pro Days: As expected, former Vols' athleticism leaves scouts drooling
    March 20, 2013 9:26 pm ET

The 2013 draft is lacking in the top-notch skill-position talent of recent years but don't blame the University of Tennessee.

In junior quarterback Tyler Bray, wide receivers Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Zach Rogers and tight end Mychal Rivera, the Vols featured arguably the most gifted set of skill-position prospects in the country last season.

The fact that the team finished 5-7 (including 1-7 in the SEC) is why Derek Dooley is now serving as the Dallas Cowboys' wide receivers coach and not still the head coach in Knoxville.

Based on tape, scouts know the Vols were talented. They had one final opportunity to witness the Tennessee standouts together Wednesday during the school's Pro Day.

The 6-foot-6 (3/8), 229-pound Bray stood on his numbers from the combine but threw the ball Wednesday. According to a league source on hand for the workout, Bray was "good, not great" during the throwing session, firing in passes to all levels of the field and demonstrating the arm talent that has earned comparisons to anyone to former SEC star Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt).

Patterson, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated receiver, also elected to largely stick with his numbers from Indianapolis. The 6-2 (5/8), 217-pound receiver has explosive top-end speed and unbelievable agility but remains largely inconsistent as a route-runner and, according to the source, dropped a few passes Wednesday. He did compete in the shuttle drills, with unofficial times of 7.19-seconds in the three-cone and 11.72-seconds in the 60-yard shuttle.

Hunter measured in a shade under 6-4, 200 pounds. He had a 7.20-second three-cone time and elected to compete in the vertical jump Wednesday despite posting an impressive 39.5" effort in Indianapolis. The explosive Hunter, who was characterized as having the flexibility and springs of "Gumby" by the league source, led all Vols with a 40.5" effort Wednesday. He also improved in the broad jump (11'4" at the combine) with an 11'6" effort in Knoxville.

Zach Rogers, who was not invited to the combine, helped his chances at getting drafted by clocking in the low 4.5s in the 40-yard dash and beating his more highly touted former teammates in both the short shuttle (4.40) and three-cone drills (6.76). Rogers, 6-0, 182, also caught the ball well, according to the source.

Rivera matched the 31-inch vertical Wednesday that he'd previously had at the combine.

Perhaps the most surprising turn of events was the fact that former Tennessee wideout Da'Rick Rogers was also allowed to participate in the workout. Rogers was kicked off the team prior to the start of the season after repeated violations of the team's conduct policy. He wound up transferring to Tennessee Tech, where he caught 61 passes for 893 yards and a career-high 10 touchdowns despite frequently being double-teamed.

Like his former teammates, Rogers did few of the timed drills after enjoying a standout performance at the combine. He did, however, compete in the vertical jump (38.5") and performed well during positional drills.

The source commented that between Bray, Patterson, Hunter and (Da'Rick) Rogers, there could be four former Volunteers who wind up being selected within the first two rounds. No other team in the country is expected to challenge that mark this year.

Other Notes:

Versatile offensive lineman Dallas Thomas was unable to perform in any of the drills Wednesday as he continues to recover from the torn labrum he suffered during practices at the Senior Bowl. Thomas underwent surgery on Feb. 7 and is expected to miss the next 4-5 months, which could significantly impact his draft stock.

Among the NFL decision-makers on hand were Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert (each of whom reportedly dined with Bray on Tuesday night), as well as Oakland Raiders' general manager Reggie McKenzie, New York Jets' general manager John Idzik and St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead, among others.

Pro Days: Fresno State, SDSU, Hawaii DBs catching attention
    March 20, 2013 10:44 pm ET

Representatives of 19 NFL teams traveled to Fresno State on Wednesday in large part to see if All-America free safety Phillip Thomas and record-breaking running back Robbie Rouse could improve upon their combine performances.

Each was able to do so.

Thomas, a Thorpe Award finalist who led the country with eight interceptions in 2012, shaved more than a tenth-of-a-second off of his combine time in the 40-yard dash, clocking in at 4.53-seconds, according to multiple sources. Thomas had been timed at 4.65-seconds in the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis.

Thomas also showed great fluidity and ball skills during positional drills orchestrated by a member of the New England Patriots.

The workout may have been even more important for the short (but not small) Rouse, who registered a disappointing 4.80-seconds in the 40-yard dash after measuring in at 5-feet-5 (3/8), 190 pounds in Indianapolis.

While clearly shorter than scouts would prefer, Rouse is a powerfully-built runner whose vertical and lateral burst helped him generate a school-record 4,647 rushing yards over his career.

Rouse was clocked at a much more respectable 4.57-seconds in the 40-yard dash Wednesday, perhaps pushing him back into the draft. Regardless of whether he's drafted or not, Rouse's game-tape speaks for itself. He'll get an opportunity and will prove to be a tough cut for an NFL team due to his natural elusiveness and surprising power.

"The 40 [yard dash] that I ran at the combine was definitely not what I wanted to run and for me to come out here and run the 4.5 that I wanted was definitely a goal that I set," Rouse said. "It felt good to get it."

Some of the scouts on hand for Wednesday's workout at Fresno State had traveled from San Diego State's campus a day earlier where a number of former Aztecs and 10 former Hawaii Warriors had worked out.

While the most well-known defensive back at the workout was SDSU's all-conference pick Leon McFadden, the Senior Bowl standout largely stood on his numbers from the combine, though he did register a 34.5-inch vertical jump.

Perhaps the defensive back who helped himself the most at the workout was Hawaii junior Mike Edwards, a talented cornerback and kick-returner who originally signed with Tennessee out of high school.

Edwards ran well at the combine (electronically timed 4.56 seconds) but proved faster Tuesday at the pro day workout, registering times between 4.41-4.45 seconds, according to multiple sources. He also demonstrated his fluidity during drills. Scouts would have liked to have seen him fare better during ball-drills, however, as he'd shown a greater ability throughout his career in breaking up passes (26) than intercepting them (three) while with the Warriors.

Another intriguing "defensive back" at the SDSU workout played receiver while with the Aztecs.

Wideout Brice Butler caught 24 passes for 347 yards and four touchdowns in 2012 for San Diego State but some of the scouts on hand for the workout asked him about his willingness to make the switch to cornerback, the same position his father -- Bobby Butler -- used to play for the Atlanta Falcons from 1981-1992.

The younger Butler certainly helped his cause Tuesday by turning in blazing times in the 40-yard dash (4.36 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.62 seconds), as well as showing off his explosiveness in the vertical jump (39 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 9 inches).

The 6-3, 206-pound Butler currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 96-rated wide receiver. After this sparkling workout, he'll be rising up draft boards regardless of which position he'll be performing at in the NFL.

Jarvis Jones might benefit from position switch
    By Gil Brandt
    Published: March 22nd, 2013

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams gathered at Georgia’s pro day on Thursday for a workout held outdoors on FieldTurf in approximately 40-degree temperatures.

Among the notables in attendance at the pro day were New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley and general manager David Caldwell, New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese, Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix, and Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim.

Marlon Brown, WR (6-foot-4, 217 pounds) — Brown was only measured and stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, with the exception of the bench press (10 lifts of 225 pounds).

Sanders Commings, CB (6-3 3/4, 216) — Commings did 23 strength lifts, stood on his numbers from the combine, and did positional drills.

Kwame Geathers, NT (6-6, 335) — Geathers ran the 40-yard dash in 5.41 and 5.43 seconds, and did the three-cone drill in 7.85 seconds. He had a 29-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-7 broad jump. He also had 21 strength lifts.

John Jenkins, DT (6-4 1/4, 343) — Jenkins ran the 40 in 5.29 and 5.34 seconds. He had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.94 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.74 seconds. Jenkins had an impressive workout.

Abry Jones, DE (6-2 5/8, 312) — Jones ran the 40 in 5.19 seconds with the wind and 5.29 seconds against the wind. He had a 4.94-second short shuttle and a 7.93-second three-cone drill. He also did positional drills.

Jarvis Jones, LB (6-2 5/8, 249) — Jones — who chose not to work out at the combine (which didn’t help alleviate concerns over health) — ran the 40 in 4.92 seconds on each of his runs. He had a 30 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-3 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.69 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.43 seconds. He also performed 20 strength lifts. Jones worked out as both an outside linebacker and defensive end at the pro day. There is sentiment that Jones’ best position in the NFL might be as a pass-rushing defensive end.

Tavarres King, WR (6-0 7/8, 191) — King opted to stand on his combine numbers and only did position drills at Georgia’s pro day.

Alec Ogletree, LB (6-2 5/8, 244) — Ogletree ran the 40 in 4.64 seconds with the wind and 4.75 seconds against the wind. He had a 4.57-second short shuttle and a 7.11-second three-cone drill. He also performed 18 strength lifts. His best NFL position is probably as a weak-side linebacker.

Bacarri Rambo, SS (6-0 3/8, 209) — Rambo ran the 40 in 4.64 and 4.66 seconds. He had a 34-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.31 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds.

Cornelius Washington, LB (6-4, 263) — Washington ran really well at the combine (officially 4.55 seconds in the 40, which placed him among the top performers in his position group), so he only did the short shuttle (4.75 seconds) and three-cone drill (7.48 seconds) at Georgia’s pro day. Washington worked out at linebacker, and the scouts on hand also wanted to see him work out as a defensive lineman with his hand in the ground. However, a pulled hamstring prevented Washington from doing so.

Shaun Williams, SS (6-0, 215) — Williams was measured, stood on his numbers from the combine and went through position drills. Williams is not a good-looking athlete, but the best way to describe him is as a “football player,” meaning that while he doesn’t work out well he does shine when it’s 11-on-11 on the field.

Each of the aforementioned player was at the combine.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Maybe if Jones packs on another 15-25 lbs he'd be good to go at DE!

THE DREAM TEAM

Conner Vernon shines for Duke football at Pro Day
    By Daniel Carp | March 26, 2013

In the middle of the program’s spring practice schedule, Duke football players, coaches and alumni assembled at the team’s indoor practice facility to support a select group pursuing their professional football dreams.

Pascal Field House was abuzz Monday afternoon as scouts and coaches from 21 NFL teams were on hand for Duke’s annual Pro Day. Seven former Blue Devils—Jackson Anderson, Jordon Byas, Tony Foster, Desmond Scott, Donovan Varner, Conner Vernon and Johnny Williams—participated in drills to display their strength, speed and abilities at their respective positions.

Leading the charge for Duke was Vernon, a wide receiver and the ACC’s all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards. He is widely projected to be the Blue Devils’ first NFL Draft selection since 2004.

“Watching him today, I went over to Kurt Roper and I said, ‘That reminds me of why you want him on your team,’” Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. “The way he accelerates to the ball, whether it’s a post or a dig, and everything he got his hands on, he caught it. You just don’t do what he did in a career without being a great football player.”

Vernon only participated in the field work after working out at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last month. The wide receiver’s route-running ability was on display throughout the afternoon as he made cuts to the football with ease. Vernon did not drop a pass on the day, though his lone mistake came when he slipped on the turf and lost his balance during an out route, throwing off his timing.

The Miami native made up for it on the next set of routes when he made the play of the day. Running a deep corner route, Vernon fully extended to reel in a pass that was well out in front of him and held onto the ball after he hit the turf, drawing a number of cheers from onlookers.

“The quarterback put it out there, I just had to go get it and made sure that I caught it,” Vernon said. “I’ve made a lot of catches throughout my career, but to catch one like that was great.”

Vernon was not the only one running routes at Duke’s Pro Day—wide receiver Desmond Scott put on a show with his strength and footwork. Scott stands at just 5-foot-9 but impressed in the weight room, bench pressing 21 reps at 225 pounds, which would have ranked third among wide receivers at the 2013 NFL Combine.

Scott’s agility was on display during his position drills, and his route-running ability was impressive for a player who moved to wide receiver from running back less than a year ago.

“The stuff we did today was just the stuff I used to do in my backyard growing up,” Scott said. “So today was no pressure, it was just going out in the backyard and having fun.”

On the other side of the football, cornerback Tony Foster showed he has made significant strides since the end of his senior season. In addition to his 40.5-inch vertical leap, Foster showed off his quickness and natural hands during his position drills.

Foster lined up at wide receiver during the afternoon’s drills as well, showing off his versatility and athleticism that could translate to the next level.

Another bright spot of Pro Day came from Blue Devil long snapper Jackson Anderson, who took center stage when he showed off his ability to place snaps for punts and field goals with pinpoint accuracy. Anderson hopes to emulate the career of Duke alum Patrick Mannelly, a long snapper who was a sixth-round selection in the 1998 NFL Draft and will enter his 16th season with the Chicago Bears this fall.

“Jackson has had an incredible career. Four years and not a single bad snap—that’s about as good a test of time as you can have,” Cutcliffe said. “I was over there talking with a few friends and I said, ‘I don’t know who needs one, but that kid is a first-year starter.’”

After working out for scouts for the final time before April’s NFL Draft, Vernon noted that the number of scouts on hand was indicative of the Blue Devils’ growth as a program during his four-year career. Duke quarterback Sean Renfree was not among those working out for scouts, though Cutcliffe noted he is pain free and on his way toward a recovery.

Cutcliffe added that the best may be yet to come for Duke football’s NFL hopes.

“I couldn’t help but to look around the exterior, and we had a lot of our returning squad on hand. I’m looking at how many guys I think are draft choices and combine guys, and that number was in double digits,” Cutcliffe said. “We haven’t been able to say that since we’ve been here.”

Re: Vaccaro ? No Freaking Way in Round One!!

Quoting Rotoworld:

Texas S Kenny Vaccaro is suffering from a hip flexor injury and will not run the forty at the school's pro day.

Many were hoping to see Vaccaro improve on his "official" 4.63 forty time from the Combine, but in the grand scheme of things the time isn't a big negative. Expect representatives form nearly every team to attend the school's Tuesday pro day. Vaccaro will likely be a top-17 selection.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Vaccaro Doesn't run at Pro Day

The highly anticipated forty time for Kenny Vaccaro didn't happen.

Though he did a bunch of workouts, he sad an injured hip flexor he hurt at the Comboys workout would prevent him from running straight ahead 40 yards..

You get the idea that he KNOWs his lousy time is gonna hurt him, so he is just not gonna run for anyone to confirm it.

Typical of stuff that goes on, with AGENTS advising yheir players whena nd when not to work out.

I don't see how you can do all those stop and start and coverage drills but are too hurt to run a straight line.

Sorry, that's a red mark for me.

Manti Te'o took the chance and ran 4.71, so kudos to him for not ducking anything

Hopefully Keenan Allen won't wuss out tomorrow.
    Barry Waller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast