Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Official Sam Bradford Pro Day Reviews Thread

Please use this thread to post reviews of Sam Bradford's workout. As always, no links, and please identify your source (or, if you watched the workout on line, let us know that you are providing your own opinions).

Here's the first one I found, from MSNBC:

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford completed a perfect 50-of-50 passes at the Sooners' Monday Pro Day.

He was also jacked up in terms of his build. Pro Days are obviously geared toward making players look as good as possible, but Bradford was as sharp as can be, exhibiting a quick release, plenty of velocity on throws outside the numbers, and outstanding accuracy. We noticed just one throw behind his intended target (Jermaine Gresham still gathered it in), and he delivered one wobbler on a 40-yard slant-go. Rams GM Billy Devaney was undoubtedly impressed.

Tiko377 is offline Registered User

Re: Official Sam Bradford Pro Day Reviews Thread

damn i didnt see this thread i already posted it on the rams talk

From USA Today:

Sam Bradford on pro day workout for NFL scouts: 'I felt like I performed very well'

12:48 PM

Former Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford showed off his repaired right throwing shoulder for the first time in front on NFL scouts at his pro day on Monday.

Bradford, whom the St. Louis Rams may select with the No. 1 overall pick in next month's draft, said he was pleased with the workout.
    "I thought I made a lot of great throws today," Bradford said in an interview on ESPN from the pro day. "I felt like I performed very well."
    Bradford, who decided to return to Oklahoma last year despite being highly rated as a potential 2009 pick, injured his right shoulder twice last season and had AC joint surgery on Oct. 29. He began throwing about 4-5 weeks ago, and medical reviews of Bradford's repaired shoulder have not raised red flags.
    The 2008 Heisman Trophy winner said he had been waiting for a chance to prove himself to NFL talent evaluators.
    "I've had to listen to questions about my shoulder, questions about my decision last year to stay in school," he said.
    "I'm still the same player I was and the arm is back to normal."
    Bradford said he felt he proved to scouts and coaches why he should be selected high in the draft and said he fits "a lot of the categories" the Rams are looking. -- Sean Leahy

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

Here's what I saw when watching it online. Beware that I am more critical than most to offset the fact that the pro-days are drastically in the players favor. I expect the player to look perfect on pro-days because that is their goal:

His arm strength was better than I expected as he was hitting WR's on posts and fly's in stride about 30-40 yards down field.

His accuracy looked average to me, he hit his receivers well on most deep routes, slants and most outs, but there were a couple balls where his WR's made nice catches behind themselves or had to adjust to the ball thrown to the wrong shoulder.

He also had trouble keeping the nose of the ball down on the deep throws and his spirals could have been tighter. His footwork looked pretty good from "under center" and his roll outs looked smooth, but he could have made better throws on the run.

I don't think he completely solidified himself at 1 with this workout, but he did look pretty good.

Other notes on other guys: Jermaine Gresham looks like a brick wall, he's a big solid kid and looked pretty good even if it wasn't his workout. I'd love the Rams to steal him at the top of the second to ease Bradford into the NFL. One of Bradford's wide receivers was a complete loafer, most guys were really working hard out there to make Sam look good, but this guy was running half speed, not making good cuts, etc.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

From the Washington Post

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    Sam Bradford impresses in Pro Day workout at Oklahoma University
    Quarterback Sam Bradford has finished throwing at his Pro Day in Norman, Okla. The university offered a live-stream of the workout on the Internet and, from what we were able to see online, it sure looked as if Bradford did everything that was needed to solidify his standing as the No. 1 pick in the April 22 NFL Draft.

He was scheduled to a follow a 50-pass script but threw 63. According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, only one pass hit the ground. Bradford, who said in a post-workout interview that he'd only been throwing for "4 1/2- 5 weeks," threw a variety of passes and looked very sharp. His passes seemed to have zip and were accurate. He showed no visible signs of pain in his shoulder.

It'd seem very unlikely, at this point, that Bradford will be picked anywhere besides No. 1.

The question now becomes, who grabs him at that spot? Do the Rams lock him up and start negotiations right away? Or do they entertain trade offers? (It's worth noting that one of the first people to greet Bradford after his workout was Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo.)

Most NFL teams were in attendance today. Redskins general manager Bruce Allen was among the Washington contingent. According to Yahoo's Robinson, more than 50 coaches, scouts and executives were onhand, including representatives from the Raiders, Eagles, Colts, Browns, Patriots, Seahawks, Jaguars and *****. They weren't all there for Bradford, though, as the day also provided an opportunity for teams to get a closer look at Oklahoma's receivers.

Bradford's workout lasted about 25 minutes and, while the coaches had a closer look than the live-streaming video and surely took diligent notes, the safe guess is that the Bradford camp is very happy with the results.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

from draftinsider.net

Quote Originally Posted by draftinsider.net
    Bradford Kills It!

Oklahoma

Sam Bradford’s pro-day ended just a few minutes ago and it will be classified as a success.

Bradford was accurate from start to finish, nicely placing the ball in receiver’s hands. He threw several beautiful strikes downfield, hitting receivers in stride some forty yards from the line of scrimmage. His deep outs, the money throw for any quarterback in these workouts, were also on the mark.

Bradford also displayed good footwork when asked to move outside the pocket then make the throw in motion and was accurate when throwing in motion.

Early on receivers were waiting a bit for the pass to arrive, likely a timing issue as Bradford becomes more accustomed to setting up in the pocket from underneath center. Bradford did not display a rifle arm but showed enough strength to make all the throws.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

From Gil Brandt, NFL.com:

Bradford’s workout ‘near flawless’
    Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: Oklahoma, Picasso, Sam Bradford
    Sam Bradford just finished his workout, and let me tell you, it was near flawless. I’m not saying he solidified his spot at the top of the draft, but he sure didn’t hurt himself. It was one of the best individual workouts I’ve seen in a long time. A real Picasso.
    I’m getting the numbers together now and will get them to you shortly.
    Gil Brandt

More from Gil Brandt:

Bradford’s pro day workout left crowd in awe
    Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: Oklahoma Pro Day, Sam Bradford, Troy Aikman
    NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford’s workout today in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.
    Bradford threw more than 100 passes during the workout and in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree.
    It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of his performance. In fact, Bradford put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California.
    If Bradford is feeling the effects of his shoulder or is experiencing any weakness, there were no indications of that today. It didn’t show. He threw with velocity during the entire workout.
    Terry Shea, the former college and NFL coach who is working with Bradford as a quarterback consultant, told me they’ve been working together for nine weeks. The first five weeks of workouts, Bradford didn’t even throw. They only worked on footwork because Bradford hadn’t been cleared by doctors yet.
    I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw today. And today, it was very strong.
    – Gil Brandt

shower beers is offline Registered User

I caught about 15 minutes of the demo, and he looked solid, especially in the deep throws, which is about as a good of a "real look" as you'll get from a heavily scripted pro day. I wanted to see more pressure throws, where he has a defender in his face. But from the one I saw, he made a good dump pass. Footwork looked good enough, and he didn't seem like he was working that hard to make the throws, arm strength wise.

He came out and did what he was supposed to do with minimal mistakes.

From the PD:

Bradford’s pro day: 63 passes, one hit ground
    By Reid Laymance
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Bryan Burwell was in Norman, Okla., today for Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford’s pro day. Some of the highlights:
    – Bradford threw 63 passes, only one hit the ground.
    Tex Schramm, the former Dallas Cowboys executive, said it was the best pro day he has seen since Troy Aikman.
    – Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said he was “very impressed” and spent time “recruiting” Bradford on the plusses of St. Louis and the Rams.
    – Rams GM Billy Devaney was still playing it close to the vest saying this was just another step in the process.
    The Rams have the first pick in the NFL draft on April 21 and have said they are currently negotiating potential contracts with Bradford, Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, and Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen.
    Bradford missed most of his senior season with a shoulder injury suffered in the opener against BYU and then re-injured against Texas in October.
    By all accounts he appeared to show no ill effects in today’s workout.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_man13 View Post
    Here's what I saw when watching it online. Beware that I am more critical than most to offset the fact that the pro-days are drastically in the players favor. I expect the player to look perfect on pro-days because that is their goal:

His arm strength was better than I expected as he was hitting WR's on posts and fly's in stride about 30-40 yards down field.

His accuracy looked average to me, he hit his receivers well on most deep routes, slants and most outs, but there were a couple balls where his WR's made nice catches behind themselves or had to adjust to the ball thrown to the wrong shoulder.

He also had trouble keeping the nose of the ball down on the deep throws and his spirals could have been tighter. His footwork looked pretty good from "under center" and his roll outs looked smooth, but he could have made better throws on the run.

I don't think he completely solidified himself at 1 with this workout, but he did look pretty good.

Other notes on other guys: Jermaine Gresham looks like a brick wall, he's a big solid kid and looked pretty good even if it wasn't his workout. I'd love the Rams to steal him at the top of the second to ease Bradford into the NFL. One of Bradford's wide receivers was a complete loafer, most guys were really working hard out there to make Sam look good, but this guy was running half speed, not making good cuts, etc.
    I appreciate your honesty rams_man, but the accuracy of Bradford is his biggest strength when healthy. Today was more about arm strength and mechanics after the operation, and he passed with flying colours. The accuracy and timing are bound to be a little off,while he is rehabbing. Good news this. The Rams can take him or maybe now someone is willing to give up some premium picks for that 1 spot in the draft?

rob6465 is offline Registered User

The closer it gets to draft day, the more I think we should draft him. I wish we could get both Suh and Bradford, but i'm okay with drafting a YOUNG QB and building around him. We just don't know if next year we can draft a better QB than bradford.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I appreciate your honesty rams_man, but the accuracy of Bradford is his biggest strength when healthy. Today was more about arm strength and mechanics after the operation, and he passed with flying colours. The accuracy and timing are bound to be a little off,while he is rehabbing. Good news this. The Rams can take him or maybe now someone is willing to give up some premium picks for that 1 spot in the draft?
    I understand about trading down but WHO will be our QB for next 2, 3, 5 yrs?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I was impressed with the velocity he had on the ball when moving outside the "pocket". Accuracy is difficult to tell on a feed like that. Lastly, he obviously has very poor blood circulation because he kept blowing on his throwing hand to warm it up between throws. That puts him as a 7th round prospect.

richtree is offline Registered User

So, I guess I should order my blue #14 Jersey now ? LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast