throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Official Sam Bradford Pro Day Reviews Thread

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, that settles it. Unless he gets abducted by Visitors, Sam Bradford will be buying Keenan Burton's number 14 from him.
    Why buy it from somebody who won't make the team?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

This one's from Peter King on SI..dot..com:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Monday was the first day of the NFL Draft. That's because rehabbing Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford took the field to throw a 50-pass script that the NFL world -- particularly St. Louis, picking first in the April 22 first round, and Washington, picking fourth -- had been awaiting. By all accounts, he looked wonderful, which means he moved much closer to becoming the first pick in a very deep draft.

According to scouts, "Bradford was accurate from start to finish. He threw several beautiful strikes downfield, hitting receivers in stride some 40 yards from the line of scrimmage. He didn't display a rifle arm, yet showed enough strength to make all the throws."

Bradford, who underwent shoulder reconstruction on Oct. 28, would have had to mess up his 50 balls today, and then not be very good in private workouts with the Rams and Redskins, to not be the first player chosen in the 2010 draft.

I spoke with him before the workout and also with his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews. There's that in today's column and a detour from the NFL owners meetings to a spring training tour with my brothers, and the story of the man 95 percent of you have never heard of but who now is a major power broker in the best draft in years. But we start on the phone with Bradford.

For the last three weeks, beginning March 4, Bradford had been throwing 100 passes several days a week at Athletes Performance Institute in Pensacola, Fla. ... with, he says, no pain.
    "I haven't had pain or discomfort since they turned me loose right after the combine,'' Bradford told me. "I can't believe how good it feels. There's no pain.''

"Now,'' I said, "you're going to get grilled on this Monday, and if you don't tell the whole truth, somebody's going to make a big deal of it. So be honest now.''

"I'm being totally honest,'' Bradford said. "There's been no pain. They told me that after I threw without restriction that first time, I might wake up the next morning or come in to work out the next day and feel something. But there's been nothing. Not one day have I woken up sore.''

On Sunday night, I asked Andrews about Bradford's no-pain declaration, and whether that could be true less than five months after the reconstruction of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder. That wasn't a scope Bradford had. It was a full-fledged reconstruction.

"I've tried to get him to come clean with me too,'' he said. "But he's come through it great. He's full go. The last time I saw him and questioned him about it [nine days ago], he told me, 'I feel stronger in my throwing shoulder than I ever have in my life.' I did everything I could to deliver him to this draft healthy, and I think he is.''

I asked Andrews what he'd say if the Rams and Redskins called and asked about Bradford's condition, and whether the quarterback was ready for the rigors of an NFL camp and season.
    Too late. They already called. Andrews, who is a senior orthopedic consultant to the Redskins as well as one of the foremost independent orthopedic surgeons in the world, was unequivocal in his prognosis.

"I talked to the Rams, and told them Sam has no restrictions,'' Andrews said. "I gave him a clean bill of health. And I talked to the Redskins, of course, since I am affiliated with them. I told [owner] Dan Snyder, [GM] Bruce Allen and [coach] Mike Shanahan the same thing. I would have no reservations recommending him to them as the first pick.''

One of the benefits of Bradford having the surgery, then rehabbing at API in Pensacola, is the byproduct of how fit and strong he has become after putting on 13 pounds. He's up to about 235 pounds now, and the former frail-looking passer now looks more like a pro quarterback. "He looks like a man now,'' said Andrews. "The way he's worked is a credit to him. He's one of the most sincere, hard-working kids I've been around. He's in the mold of Drew Brees, and that's a pretty good mold to be in. The kid's tougher than hell, and I moved up the date he'd turn it loose by about two weeks, just because he was doing so well in his rehab.''

Bradford felt the rehab was going so well that he felt confident heading into Monday's workout.
    "I don't want to hide anything,'' he said. "I know everyone's coming to see how healthy my arm is, and they're going to see me make all the throws. They're going to see the same player they saw on film in the 2008 season.''

That's when Bradford threw 50 touchdowns passes and won the Heisman Trophy as a Sooner sophomore. And when the 2009 season was twice interrupted by shoulder injuries, that's when Andrews said enough's enough, and the surgery took place.

Though it's possible the Rams could trade down to Washington (or farther) if they got the right offer for Bradford, it's highly unlikely. It would probably take a ransom to get the pick from the Rams. Two years ago, St. Louis passed on Matt Ryan to pick defensive end Chris Long. Last year, the Rams passed on Mark Sanchez to choose Baylor tackle Jason Smith. If they pass on Bradford, it'll be for a defensive tackle, making it the third straight year they'd have let a potential franchise passer go for an interior lineman.

It's conceivable they could trade but only if they really like Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, and believe they could still get him with the fourth pick. But I'm hearing Bradford is the number one quarterback on their board, clearly.

Read More:
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

From Bernie-

HERE’S A POST-WORKOUT UPDATE:

The session is over. Bradford threw 50 passes to receivers as part of the showcase. According to John Hoover of the Tulsa World, who was tweeting during the event, Bradford connected with his receivers on 49 of 50 passes. Bradford threw a couple of “brilliant” deep balls, Hoover said. After one impressive deep pass, those in attendance applauded Bradford; OU defensive tackle Gerald McCoy hollered out “King Sam.” After the throw, Bradford was all smiles. He was hugged by his St. Louis-based agent Tom Condon. And Spagnuolo was the first NFL person to venture over to Bradford and offer congrats; Spags also asked Bradford a couple of questions. Bradford also threw 13 passes to stationary targets and hit on all 13.

One of Bradford’s throws traveled at least 65 yards in the air; Terry Shea thinks it was more like 70 yards.

Legendary retired Cowboys draft scout Gil Brandt of NFL.com attended Bradford’s throw and said: “That’s the best I’ve seen since Troy Aikman.”

And Wes Bunting of NationalFootballPost.com tweeted this after the workout: “Bradford was brilliant. Stronger arm than given credit for but it’s his accuracy and ball location that makes him the special QB he is … WOW.”

And here’s a take from Russ Lande of The Sporting News, who wrote, “There is nothing left for Bradford to prove,” and Russ tells us what he saw. Lande’s conclusion: “Other than the shoulder injury, the only unanswered question had been arm strength. After Monday’s workout, all questions have been answered.”

When asked by ESPN.com’s Todd McShay why he should be the Rams’ first pick, Bradford said: “There’s a lot of different reasons. I feel like I’m a great player, feel like I’m a great leader. It’s not my decision. It’s up to them. I don’t know exactly what they’re looking for, but I think I fit a lot of the categories they’re looking for.”

We’ll add more later if we have more details….

-Bernie

ludairv is offline Registered User

amazing....lets move on to round 2 shall we

TakeSuh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Just like there will be another highly touted D player. Like Dorsey, Curry and now Suh and McCoy. Eventually we have to get a QB, or we will just continue to draft in the top of the draft every year

dorsey was not even close as good as suh has triple the stats of dorsey in one year. suh has more tackles for loss in his senior year than the entire defensive line of alabama.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TakeSuh View Post
    dorsey was not even close as good as suh has triple the stats of dorsey in one year. suh has more tackles for loss in his senior year than the entire defensive line of alabama.
    I feel ya man, I was all about Suh after watching him almost single handedly beat Texas. But the thing is, in the NFL, QBs win football games, not defensive tackles. The Rams offense was atrocious, I believe our defense will play much better when they aren't on the field the entire game.

Also, this is about making the Rams a better team, not being infatuated with one player. Your user name alone tells me you are an Ndamukong Suh fan, not a St. Louis fan. This draft is about making the Rams better, nothing more, nothing less.

#39 Fan Guest

Thumbs up Re: Official Sam Bradford Pro Day Reviews Thread

kid's going to be real good.

i'd like him in Horns come next month.

I still LOVE Suh, but I'm starting to think we need Bradford.

Sam: I also officially forgive you for being a Sooner.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Welcome to St. Louis Sam!

#39 Fan Guest

Talking Re: Official Sam Bradford Pro Day Reviews Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Why buy it from somebody who won't make the team?
    *rimshot ....

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Kid's going to be real good.

I'd like him in Horns come next month.

I still LOVE Suh, but I'm starting to think we need Bradford.
    That's right, 39. I agree. And I kind of have the feeling that coaches of the Rams D (and some players as well) also LOVE Suh but are probably willing to go for QB SB. Primarily defense-oriented Coach Spags. Today's little rehearsal show really helped Bradford prove his quality. It's not as though he would be a luxury for the Rams ... he's a long awaited necessity.

Chances are we're going QB SB. Now the plan and challenge is keeping him protected during games!
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-29-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Content

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I feel ya man, I was all about Suh after watching him almost single handedly beat Texas. But the thing is, in the NFL, QBs win football games, not defensive tackles. The Rams offense was atrocious, I believe our defense will play much better when they aren't on the field the entire game.

Also, this is about making the Rams a better team, not being infatuated with one player. Your user name alone tells me you are an Ndamukong Suh fan, not a St. Louis fan. This draft is about making the Rams better, nothing more, nothing less.
    I hate to admit your right, I'm slowly unwillingly starting to walk to the edge of the sUH band wagon and go find where Bradford's is and climb aboard...

redhawks6 Guest

If you wanted to see Bradford Highlights of Pro day go to soonersports.com and go to sports then football. I know there is no links but someone asked.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I don't know if this has been posted or not by an earlier member, but here it is:

NORMAN
    — On his 48th pass Monday,
    Sam Bradford rocked back and heaved the ball so high, it nearly touched the rafters of the Everest indoor practice facility.
    But instead of smashing into the ceiling, the ball sailed flawlessly into the arms of a full-striding Adron Tennell 65 yards downfield.

Off to the side, Gerald McCoy smiled and uttered, "King Sam,” as if to concede the No. 1 pick to his former Oklahoma teammate.
    So impressive was Bradford’s first workout before NFL scouts since undergoing shoulder surgery, everyone else might have to concede the top pick to King Sam, as well.
    "He’s the man,” McCoy said, "and he showed why he’s the man.”
    NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt called Bradford’s workout the best by a quarterback prospect he’s seen since Troy Aikman’s 21 years ago.
    "It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe,” Brandt said. "He didn’t throw one bad ball. It was a clinic.
    "It was Picasso out there today.”
    In all, Picasso tossed 63 picture-perfect passes, ranging from quick outs to deep posts. Sixty-two of those throws were completed, and the one that wasn’t was a dropped slant pass that hit Tennell in the hands.
    Afterward, even the usually unassuming Bradford had to admit he put on a show.
    "I thought I did very well,” he said. "I showed a wide variety of throws. I didn’t just come out and show the basic things, I showed some in the gun, on the move and different throws.
    "I think I showed everyone that I can still make all the throws and my shoulder is just what it was before I got hurt.”
    For Bradford, Monday was a long time coming.
    The 2008 Heisman Trophy winner elected to return to school for his junior season. He suffered a third-degree AC joint sprain during OU’s season-opening loss to BYU. Bradford came back a month later, but against Texas reinjured the shoulder, which required season-ending surgery.
    "As soon as the season ended, I knew this was going to be the day everyone was gonna see me throw,” Bradford said. "But it wasn’t until Saturday, Sunday that I started getting butterflies.”
    Yet even with several NFL head coaches watching, Bradford showed no signs of butterflies, and made it easy on his receivers: Tennell; tight ends Jermaine Gresham and Brody Eldridge; running back Chris Brown; and ex-LSU standout Josh Reed, currently a free agent.
    "His accuracy is as sharp as it’s ever been,” said Terry Shea, a former NFL quarterbacks coach who has been working with Bradford the last three months in Pensacola, Fla. "He had a couple of balls where receivers made some nice catches. But that’s the exception. For most quarterbacks, that’s a completion. For Sam, that’s almost like an incompletion. He has that tremendous accuracy that allows a receiver to stay in stride on a catch.
    "He has such touch on the ball.”
    But Bradford didn’t just display precision.
    Fatigue in the shoulder is a concern coming off such a surgery. But Bradford actually got stronger and threw the ball with more zip and accuracy as the workout progressed.
    "Most guys get a little tired on throw 40,” said Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren, who along with head coach Eric Mangini attended the workout, "but it didn’t affect his accuracy.”
    Shea tried to cajole Bradford into taking a short break midway through the 25-minute workout.
    But Bradford, who has been throwing more than a hundred balls a day the last five weeks, resisted.
    "His arm does not fatigue,” Shea said. "He’s like a darn thoroughbred. He gets lathered up, and he wants to go more and more and faster.”
    Said Bradford: "My shoulder feels great. I feel like it’s getting stronger every week. As long as it continues to get stronger, I think there is no doubt that by the time it levels off it will be better and stronger than it was before the surgery.”
    Said OU coach Bob Stoops: "I think he more than answered questions that he is ready.”
    With Bradford’s workout out of the way, the only question remaining is, will the St. Louis Rams take him with the No. 1 pick in next month’s draft?
    "That’s what everyone dreams about growing up, being the No. 1 pick,” Bradford said. "But that’s really nothing that I can control.”
    Rams general manager Bill Devaney, head coach Steve Spagnuolo, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Richard Curl flew to Norman to watch Bradford throw, and Spagnuolo ate breakfast with Bradford on Monday morning.
    After visiting Washington next week, Bradford is scheduled to spend a couple of days with the Rams in St. Louis.
    According to ESPN, the Rams aren’t expected to make a final decision on Bradford until conducting a private workout with him April 19, three days before the first round of the draft.
    However, Rams officials came away impressed on Monday.
    "I thought the whole workout was really positive,” Devaney said. "He was throwing in the end just like he was in the beginning, there wasn’t any dropoff at all. No arm fatigue. He looked as strong at the end as he did at the beginning. And the guy is really accurate — oh, my God. "I think he answered a lot of questions for a lot of people today.”
    Last edited by RockinRam; -03-30-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Didn't get to see the live video (was on my honeymoon), but it didn't matter. I'd expect the guy to do well at his pro day. That's what top prospects do, not only because they're very talented players, but because these events are scripted and practiced so much that they're going to be good.

There were people who were looking at this pro day as the critical moment for Bradford - will he show he's healthy and able to throw? I don't think that was in question at all. It seemed obvious he was going to come out and throw and be fine. There wasn't a whole lot of mystery surrounding it, I don't think.

The question that's holding me back from being thrilled about Bradford as a possible Ram is his history, not his present. He's healthy now, and everyone basically expected him to be. But is he going to be healthy ten weeks into the season after he's taken a beating at the hands of NFL defenses? That's the real concern, and no one is going to know that until he steps onto an NFL field and performs, and we see over the course of his career how durable he is.

If the Rams feel he's going to be able to hold up to the punishment, so be it. I'll certainly hope they're right and cheer him on. Just not sure I could pull the trigger if I was in their shoes.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123