Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Official Scouting Combine Thread

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Official Scouting Combine Thread

This thread will be for all Combine-related news.

Here is the schedule of workouts for this weekend:

Combine workout schedule:
    Saturday, Feb. 23: Tight ends, offensive linemen, special teams
    Sunday, Feb. 24: Quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers
    Monday, Feb. 25: Defensive linemen, linebackers
    Tuesday, Feb. 26: Defensive backs

I will ask that, as the workouts take place, please try to avoid posting rumors. As I recall, last year the "Twitterverse" had many inaccurate reports regarding 40 times, etc. Try to wait until times are official before posting them here, as we want information, not misinformation.

Thanks!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Official Scouting Combine Thread

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks I'm told Alabama OT DJ Fluker checked in at 339 lbs today. He was 355 at the Sr Bowl. #NFLCombine

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks
    Chance Warmack checked in at 6'2 317 lbs. Smaller than expected but he did have 34 6/8 inch arms

Menelik Watson checked in at 6'5 1/8 310 lbs. His arms were 34 inches. #NFLCombine

Jonathan Cooper 6'2 1/8 311 lbs. Lane Johnson 6'6 303. #NFLCombine

Here are some verified WR measurements:

Keenan Allen 6’2, 206
    Tavon Austin 5’8, 174
    DeAndre Hopkins 6’1, 214
    Justin Hunter 6’4, 196
    Cordarelle Patterson 6’1 7/8, 216
    Terrance Williams 6’2, 208
    Robert Woods 6’0 3/8, 201

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are some verified WR measurements:

Keenan Allen 6’2, 206
    Tavon Austin 5’8, 174
    DeAndre Hopkins 6’1, 214
    Justin Hunter 6’4, 196
    Cordarelle Patterson 6’1 7/8, 216
    Terrance Williams 6’2, 208
    Robert Woods 6’0 3/8, 201
    Man, I just keep getting higher on Hopkins. Now that all the "huge" WR's are not so big, he closes any sort of gap anybody had on him. But DAMN! Hunter's 6'4? Guys going to run fast too! Like a polished and much more talented Stephen Hill.

THE DREAM TEAM

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Official Scouting Combine Thread

Hopkins has been my favorite. Patterson is a talent for sure, but Hopkins represents something that the Rams seem to have had a shortage ofa WR that can run a route. If he makes it to the second I think we would look back (much like 2009) and say,"the rams stole him in the 2nd. Continue this trend of 1st round talent grabbed in the 2nd!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Per Jim Thomas (Twitter): Rams met with D.J. Fluker today.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wisconsin C Travis Frederick: 21 reps w/ 33-in arms
    Alabama RT D.J. Fluker: 21 reps w/ 36.75 in arms
    Alabama OG Chance Warmack: 35 reps w/ 34.75 in arms
    Rice TE Vance McDonald: 34 reps w/ 34.5 in arms
    UNC G/C Jonathan Cooper: 35 reps w/ 32 in arms
    Kentucky OG Larry Warford: 28 reps w/ 32 in arms
    Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson: 28 reps w/ 35 in arms
    Texas A&M OT Luke Joeckel: 27 reps w/ 34.25 in arms

Rams meeting with Lane Johnson in a "suite interview" tonight. Only get 60 of them, one spent on Fluker, the other on Johnson.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Rams meeting with Lane Johnson in a "suite interview" tonight. Only get 60 of them, one spent on Fluker, the other on Johnson.
    If you believe Jeff Fisher won't draft OL in the first round, this is the foundation of an elaborate smokescreen.

If you believe Jeff Fisher is willing to draft OL in the first round, then this is an encouraging sign of someone doing due diligence.

Either way, we'll find out in April.

Tyler Eifert throws up 22 reps at the combine.
    Zach Ertz throws up 24 reps. (31 3/4" arms) shorter arms than Eifert
    Jordan Reed throws up 16 reps.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you believe Jeff Fisher won't draft OL in the first round, this is the foundation of an elaborate smokescreen.

If you believe Jeff Fisher is willing to draft OL in the first round, then this is an encouraging sign of someone doing due diligence.

Either way, we'll find out in April.
    I think the FO is just doing their due diligence. Want to find out the "people" that they really are. If they are impressed, then they draft 'em. This is at least a sign that they were high on these guys by watching their tape.

THE DREAM TEAM

If the NFLN continues to talk about Manti Te'o as much as they have in the pre-Combine coverage this morning, this might be hard to watch today...
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Alabama OG Chance Warmack Speaks
    Posted by nickwagoner on February 23, 2013 – 4:51 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -

- Alabama guard Chance Warmack is viewed as a once in a generation type of interior lineman, the type who could find himself getting drafted in the top 10. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock calls him the best player in this year’s draft regardless of position.

- Warmack wasn’t available to the media on Thursday but did come through on Friday. He talked about a wide range of topics and the laid back but focused guard made a strong impression on the media.

- Word on Warmack is that he is a dedicated lover of the game, someone who will put in the extra work to excel and dominate.

- Here’s what Warmack had to say:

What do you think of Eddie Lacy calling you a freight train:

“That’s my running back. I’ll do anything for my running back, so whoever’s in the way, he needs yards, they’ve got to get out of the way. Push ‘em out of the way.

Three biggest strengths:

“I consider myself real explosive, tough player, real physical player.”

How playing in big games at Alabama help transition to next league: “I don’t think the number of people attending the game will affect my level of play.”

No guard has gone in the top five since (check year 1975):

“My mentality right now is not even thinking about the draft. I’m just trying to perform well, perform for pro day and just stay in shape.”

Thought play into guard not seen as a high pick:

“It’s widely known that guards aren’t drafted that high. If that did happen, that would be an honor as a player that plays guard. I’m not thinking about that right now.”

How did you get your name Chance:

“It came from a movie. My mom and my dad went to see a movie and the main character was named Chance.”

Name of movie: “I don’t know. I wasn’t there. I wasn’t born yet.”

How do you not think about the draft:

“It’s pretty easy, just don’t turn on ESPN or NFL Network and just try to stay focused on the task at hand. I know I’m not perfect. Just try to work on the little details of what I’ve got to work on and just get better every day.”

What’s the deal with these jerseys, did you request a small jersey:

“No, not at all. We were playing Florida two years ago and it was really hot. That jersey’s a little tight, so I had to roll it up. It’s been like that ever since.”

Like a signature like that:

“I didn’t even know it was a signature until somebody told me. That’s just what I had to do. I was hot. I do it in practice and in the game. They don’t me I won’t be able to do it here; I’ll get fined. We’ll find out.”

Not willing to pay the price?:

“No, no, no, no.”

Did you always have this athleticism for your size:

“It’s a blessing. God’s blessed me with this ability. I work with what I have and I’m appreciative of what I have and try to apply the things that God has given me and amplify them as much as possible.”

Parents tell when you young you were advanced:

“I thought everybody was like this. Everybody’s good. It’s just working what you’re good at.”

Mayock called you the best player in the draft, how that make you feel:

“It makes me feel good to get the level of respect in that manner. But at the same time I don’t really pay attention to that too much. I know where I came from, I know where I started and that’s the same mentality I have now. I appreciate the praise, but nothing’s perfect. I’m human. I make mistakes. I’m just going to continue to get better.

What part of your game do you take most pride in:

“I like being physical and explosive. I like that word a lot, explosive. I consider myself to be very explosive. In terms of where I want to be, I want to be the definition of that word.”

Did you always have that:

“It was like that in high school, just took it to another level in college after I learned a little bit about how to be more explosive with my steps.” S

Saban’s background, prepare you for the NFL:

“It’s like a mini-NFL. If you’re not on time, if you’re not early you’re late. (a reporter says ‘If you’re early, you’re on time, if you’re on time, you’re late, if you’re …”) All I know is if it’s 10:30, I’m getting there at 9 o’clock. (laughter) And it’s been like that since my freshman year. Everybody’s programmed that way. That’s just how we do it at Alabama.”

A lot of people say you’re best run blocker. Do you have a certain mentality?:

“First and foremost, I want to give it up to God for making me 6-2. I appreciate that because I can get under players very well with not a lot of difficulty. That’s just technique, technique from my coaches, coach Joe Pendry and coach Jeff Stoutland. They do a really good job just explaining how to take a step and exploding on your second step, and I’m taking that with me wherever I go.”

Legacy of Alabama’s class with guys who are here and guys who aren’t here:

“Off the field, which I think is more important, I think everybody who graduated or is leaving the team this year has a mentality of trying to be the best at their position no matter where they get drafted. I feel like a lot of players have a chip on their shoulder even though we won the national championship. We all want to strive to be the best players at our position as possible. That goes from Eddie Lacey, Nico Johnson, myself, Barrett Jones, D.J. Fluker, so on and so forth. That’s just the mentality that we have at that school, in that program that coach Saban instilled in us.”

You’re not playing a glamorous position. Have you come to grips with that?:

“I’m not a glamorous person. Look at what I’m wearing. I love it, though. I love being big and mean. That’s what I like.”

With explosiveness you have, you could have been a defensive lineman:

“I had the option to play defense, but I love the offensive line and I embrace what I do. I love what I do. It’s not a job to me. So that’s why I like it, love it so much.”

How do you flip switch:

“It’s not hard. You just get into that zone and you just block everything out. You know what you do and you have to execute on the play. Whoever’s playing against you is the enemy. I don’t know them. They don’t know me, so it’s fair game.”

Have you always played with that type of mean streak:

“Yes, but as I got to college, I kind of understood it better in terms of no mercy. It’s not play. This is a real game and I think that’s the mentality that you’re going to have to have going to the next level.”

- It’s quite obvious that Warmack would be a fit with what the Rams are looking for and with their opening at left guard, he’d be a quality pick at No. 16. But here’s the reality: it’s very unlikely he’s going to be available at that pick. Rams coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead said they are not against taking a lineman in the first round, not even a guard. But it remains to be seen if they’d pull the trigger if someone of Warmack’s stature was available. Thing is, he probably won’t be.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If the NFLN continues to talk about Manti Te'o as much as they have in the pre-Combine coverage this morning, this might be hard to watch today...
    Couldn't agree more with you. Other than his friends and family and the mystery girlfriend.....WHO CARES.

On a separate note I am enjoying the talk about Kyle Long, whom I wouldn't mind seeing us draft in round 2. Hope he's there.

Go Rams!

2013 NFL Draft: Tyler Eifert shatters misconceptions about speed
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    February 23, 2013 2:14 pm ET

Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert may qualify as one of the early "winners" of the 2013 combine by posting an eye-popping times of 4.60 and 4.62 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Eifert, who also posted an impressive 35.5" vertical jump, may have secured his standing as a first round pick with his performance today.

Eifert, frankly, was more impressive than Stanford's Zach Ertz, the only tight end NFLDraftScout.com currently ranks ahead of the Irish star. Ertz was unofficially credited with a 4.72 on his first attempt but improved to 4.65 on his second try. He posted a surprisingly pedestrian 30.5" vertical jump.

While the Stanford star's times were solid, Eifert could see significant boost after demonstrating better straight-line speed than many, including myself, had previously given him credit. Perhaps because of the fact that the 6-5, 250-pound Eifert was often lined up wide at Notre Dame (and thus covered by cornerbacks), he didn't appear to be this explosive.

As such, some will debate as to whether Eifert's 40-yard dash time is an example of manufactured speed that doesn't really translate to the field. Regardless of this debate, Eifert has an all-around game which projects nicely to the NFL.

He improved significantly as a run-blocker as a senior and now ranks among the better blockers at the position in this draft class. His most impressive traits, however, remain his vacuum hands and body control. Eifert was consistently able to adjust in space and make the contested grab. His timely grabs likely played a significant role in his landing the Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end in 2012 despite the fact that his production actually dropped from his sophomore to junior seasons. Eifert enjoyed his most productive campaign in 2011, leading the nation's tight ends with 63 catches for 803 yards and five touchdowns. As the focus of the Irish passing attack a year later, Eifert caught 50 passes for 685 yards and four touchdowns in 2012.

As an acknowledgement of Eifert's abilities and his role in Notre Dame's offense, Alabama lined up All-American cornerback Dee Milliner on him when the the 6-5, 250-pounder lined up wide in the BCS title game. Eifert matched his season-high with six grabs in the game but was largely contained, registering "just" 61 yards in the 42-14 loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast