Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Official Senior Bowl News/Notes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Although I cannot post a link, but it's a video from Todd McShay reporting that Harrell is sucking it up at the senior bowl. Claiming he is unable to read coverages while dropping back, I imagine because he didn't have to do it in college. He's saying he could now slip until the 5th or 6th round.

The video is on ESPN, under the Senior Bowl Buzz on the front page.

Thoughts?
    I viewed him as a mid-round prospect already, so it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him in the fifth or sixth round. The reports I've read about Harrell from the first two days were kind of mixed. He looked okay when I watched him on the first day, but that was a pretty limited viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Anyone else remember Jimmy Clausen coming out of HS...but if I remember right his RB teamatee was outstanding as well.
    Marc Tyler, a five-star running back prospect who now plays for USC. Saw a few carries this season, I believe.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I viewed him as a mid-round prospect already, so it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him in the fifth or sixth round. The reports I've read about Harrell from the first two days were kind of mixed. He looked okay when I watched him on the first day, but that was a pretty limited viewing.

As did I, but if I remember correctly, there were some on this board who thought highly of him.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

I go to central arkansas and Brown doesn't impress me

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nick, I thought you were clear on the plan of trying to keep Ramses Barden under the radar! (also some nice comments on Mike Thomas who I probably have too low as the Rams 7th round pick).

I've had the pleasure of watching Ramses Barden play the last few years at our local University (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) and the match-ups almost didn't even seem fair most of the time.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Okay, so real life commitments on my part - namely the girlfriend and work - prevented me from keeping this as updated as I wanted to. I will be searching for additional Senior Bowl articles to post in here, and will also continue to view the NFLN coverage that was added to my DVR while recording my own impressions. I know this is a couple of days old now, but here's what I jotted down while watching the North and South practices shown on NFL on Tuesday...

NORTH SQUAD - TUESDAY

-B.J. Raji (DT, Boston College): Another impressive outting from Raji, who I think is securing a place in the top 15-20 thus far. He simply walked back Max Unger with ease at one point today. I haven't seen Raji stopped very much so far.

-Ron Brace (DT, Boston College): Was a little high in lateral movement drills but showed good push in both 1-on-1 drills and in team practices. At 6'3" 324 pounds, he looks like he could be an anchor in the middle that could help the Rams' D-line.

-Scott McKillop (LB, Pittsburgh): Saw him once on a blitz drill and he was completely engulfed and nullified by Pettigrew. Granted Pettigrew is a first round talent at tight end, but Scott didn't impress me. Later during team practices he avoided a downfield block from a center in order to make a good play on a running back sweep.

-Derrick Williams (WR, Penn State): One of the best receivers from the clips I've seen. Simply runs good looking crisp routes and knows how to separate.

-Juaquin Iglesias (WR, Oklahoma): If Derrick Williams isn't the best receiver on the field, this guy might be. Very crisp and sharp in his routes, he had some nice triple moves that seemed to throw off his coverage man.

-Macho Harris (CB, VA Tech): A physical guy who looks like he can stay tight in coverage. Did a good job mirroring his man and then making a play for the ball to try and prevent the catch. Isn't projected to have top speed but I don't recall seeing him get beat from the clips on NFLN.

-Patrick Chung (S, Oregon): You wouldn't necessarily expect a safety prospect to hold up well in man coverage, especially one whose strengths are generally run support. But Chung looked pretty solid in man coverage against a receiver on a sideline go route.

-Ramses Barden (WR, Cal Poly): His route running and cuts were not as crisp or smooth as some of the other top receiver prospects, but he still seemed nearly impossible to cover on short range routes. At this point, forty time is going to be key to determining where he lines up value-wise.

-Marcus Freeman (LB, Ohio State): Haven't seen much of Freeman, but during Tuesday's team drills, he had what looked like a nice drop into zone coverage and made a good break on a ball in the air to deflect a pass over the middle.

-Alex Mack (C, Cal): Had some nice moments where he stopped both BC tackles and won the leverage battle, also did a nice job at second level blocking on a screen pass in team drills. He did fall victim to the infamous Ziggy Hood spin move though.

-William Beatty (OT, Connecticut): Looked very good in 1-on-1's against Larry English; nice foot slide to seal the corner and then he mirrored English when he tried to redirect inside. Got bull rushed by Cody Brown on one series but stonewalled him on the next try. If we don't go OT in round one, keep an eye out for Beatty at the top of round two. He may need some time to groom, but could develop well as Pace's back-up.

-Trevor Canfield (OG, Cincy): He's the first guy I've been able to see that actually slowed down Mitch King, which was impressive. Got beat later on though by Alex Magee of Purdue.

-Phil Loadholt (OT, Oklahoma): Saw times on both sides of the line again on Tuesday, but I thought he looked much more comfortable on the right side. He seemed to be more effective containing the edge rush from the right.
    SOUTH SQUAD - TUESDAY

-Rey Maualuga (LB, USC): Inconsistent as a blitzer. Started off with a nice outside fake only to slip inside by his man, then got negated by Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson and later by Tennessee RB Arian Foster.

-Darry Beckwith (LB, LSU): I like what I see out of him. Would have been nice if he'd been bigger (weighed in at 6'0" 233), but he consistently found ways to get by his blocker in blitz drills. Seemed to make contact and then shed quickly.

-Alphonso Smith (CB, Wake Forest): Another one that doesn't have the size the Rams may be looking for but he looked great in a match-up I saw of him against Georgia's Mohammed Massaquoi down the sideline. Massaquoi ended up with the ball but Smith put up a nice fight for a guy giving up four inches or so.

-Ellis Lankster (CB, WVU): Loved him while he was here in Morgantown, and I thought he mirrored Mike Wallace very well in a short crossing route. Played pretty physically, perhaps even too physically. Made a nice move to try and break up the pass.

-Antoine Caldwell (C, Alabama): He may be emerging as one of my favorite mid-round center prospects. I thought he looked pretty good on Tuesday in one on one drills, as he stood up UGA's Corvey Irvin and did a nice job redirecting Georgia Tech's Vance Walker.

-Fili Moala (DT, USC): Looked good taking the edge from Auburn's Tyronne Green, later he blew by Louisville's Eric Wood in 1-on-1's. His combination of size and quickness could make him a nice fit for the three-technique on a Tampa 2 defense.

-Michael Oher (OT, Ole Miss): I definitely saw the infamous inconsistency that has caused Oher to drop a little bit in the online rankings. The first two 1-on-1's I saw him in, he was beat. First time was a beat inside from Hawaii's David Veikune, then got beat again with an inside swim. He responded well though on the next rep. Will he stay hot and cold for the rest of the week?

-Kyle Moore (DL, USC): I thought he looked pretty impressive. He beat Herman Johnson (though it doesn't sound like that's been tough this week) both outside and inside while Johnson was at RT I believe, then had a nic swim move to beat Antoine Caldwell when he was lined up at guard.

-Jonathan Luigs (C, Arkansas): Not very impressed with him today. I saw him get walked back by both Vance Walker and Robert Ayers, and Luigs measured in as being bigger than both of those guys.

-Robert Ayers (DE, Tennessee): Ayers looked good today with a nice bull rush against Tulane's Troy Kropog, who has a 40+ pound advantage. I've read reports that Ayers' battles with Oher have been close. Could be the kind of guy Spags looks at in the mid rounds to try and mold into a worthwhile player on the DL.

-Peria Jerry (DT, Ole Miss): I read one report that said Jerry might end up being the better pro than Oher, and he did look good on Tuesday. He burned by Eric Wood on one rep only to come back on his next rep and win with a nice bull rush.

-Herman Johnson (OL, LSU): Not only did he get beat in one on ones as a RT but I saw him get beat by Kyle Moore on a play that would have resulted in a sack in team drills. Moore was practically in the QBs face within three seconds. Nothing I saw from Johnson today countered the reports I've read about his poor play. Maybe there's more to football than being 382 pounds.

-Eric Wood (C, Louisville): I saw him get beat a couple of times in one on one drills, but he did a nice job holding off Fili Moala in the team practice. Looking forward to seeing more of him and determining if he just doesn't test well individually or if it's something to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12