View Poll Results: How would you classify the Rams' apparent interest in Ted Ginn Jr.?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Rams' interest in Ted Ginn Jr. is legit, making him a realistic option in the first round.

9 30.00%
  • The Rams are blowing smoke; they have no intention of taking Ginn in round one.

21 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Ohio State's Ginn piques Rams' interest... or is it all smoke?

Ohio State's Ginn piques Rams' interest
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Apr. 12 2007

Rams Park was oozing with return ability Wednesday. No less than five draft prospects with at least one kickoff or punt return for a touchdown in college had visits with the team.

Why then, did a five-man Rams contingent zip over to Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday to watch ... a return man?

The answer: Ted Ginn Jr.

Coach Scott Linehan, offensive coordinator Greg Olson, wide receivers coach Henry Ellard, special teams coach Al Roberts and vice president of player personnel Tony Softli were there to watch Ginn's eagerly awaited pro day.

When last seen on a football field, Ginn returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown for Ohio State against Florida in the Bowl Championship Series title game.

But Ginn suffered a sprained left foot during a post-touchdown celebratory pileup. That was the last of Ginn against Florida, and as it turned out, the last of him as a college player.

The wide receiver-return phenom turned pro after his junior season. But the injury prevented him from working out at the NFL scouting combine in February and Ohio State's regularly scheduled pro day in March. On Wednesday, Ginn put on a one-man show in a workout held at the Buckeyes' indoor football facility.

On a surface regarded as a fast track, Ginn ran the 40-yard dash in just under 4.40 seconds. That's considered slow for him. But according to the Columbus Dispatch, Ginn's father said his son is only about 75 percent to 80 percent healthy.

"It confirmed he's still not 100 percent," Linehan said. "But he ran a 4.4 with a bad foot and couldn't finish the workout. We're really not concerned with it."

With scouts from more than half the NFL teams in attendance, the general perception was that no one went away disappointed. Mid-foot sprains can take a long time to heal, and Ginn probably needs a few more weeks to reach full strength. Ginn spent some time speaking with the Rams' contingent. He has made no pre-draft visits to NFL cities this spring.

While factoring in the "smokescreen" possibility remember all the Rams talk about Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler last year? the prospect of the Rams selecting Ginn in the first round isn't far-fetched. That's particularly true if a trade for Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins materializes before the draft.

Under that scenario, the Rams would have fulfilled their most pressing need a defensive tackle and basically would have lots of flexibility in the first round.

Ginn had eight kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns in three seasons at Ohio State.

Whether the Rams make the bold move for Ginn, there's little doubt that Linehan is serious about improving the team's return game. The guest list for visits Tuesday and Wednesday at Rams Park included:

Miami (Ohio) wide receiver Ryne Robinson, who returned seven punts for TDs in college. His 1,677 punt return yards is the second-highest career total in NCAA Division I-A.

Kansas State wide receiver Yamon Figurs, who ran a sizzling 4.30 at the combine and averaged 14.7 yards on punt returns and 22.6 yards on kickoff returns last season.

Maryland cornerback Josh Wilson, who averaged 27.3 yards on kickoff returns last season, including a 100-yard TD against Georgia Tech.

Pittsburgh cornerback Darrell Revis, who had a college career average of 10.3 yards per punt return, including touchdowns of 73 and 79 yards.

Wide receiver Jacoby Jones of Lane (Tenn.) College, who had nearly 1,200 yards and three touchdowns returning kickoffs and punts last season.

The article brings up a very interesting point. As the draft approached last year, the first round talk related to the Rams really began to start turning towards Jay Cutler. In the end, the Rams had a chance at Cutler but traded down and went defense in Tye Hill.

So what do you think, Clan? Is Linehan tossing the smoke grenades with a little more than two weeks left before the draft? Or is the interest in Ginn legit and he's a real target for us at pick #13?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Ohio State's Ginn piques Rams' interest... or is it all smoke?

smoke.

The taking of the five man team to the pro day is nothing more then research. There were no other pro days going on that the rams were interested in, and Ginn hadnt worked out before, so why not take a group down there to see if he has the stuff? I dont think we could have worked out Ginn if he came to STL on a visit, so this was the only way to see what state he is in and what he can do.

Linehan is more likely trying to get a team above us to grab Ginn, allowing a defensive player we are more interested in to fall to us.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    smoke.

Linehan is more likely trying to get a team above us to grab Ginn, allowing a defensive player we are more interested in to fall to us.
    A la Robert Meachem, Right?

And I totally agree. It's a light, smoke and mirrors show.

Rambos is offline Registered User

While factoring in the "smokescreen" possibility remember all the Rams talk about Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler last year? the prospect of the Rams selecting Ginn in the first round isn't far-fetched. That's particularly true if a trade for Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins materializes before the draft.
    Still slim to none. IMO

Rambos is offline Registered User

Cold Pizza just stated that the Rams where impressed with Ginn. Coach Scott Linehan, might just be a master of the smoke screen. Not sure who would want to move up and get him.

general counsel is online now Registered User

In the immortal words of Deep Purple, "Smoke, on the water, fire in the sky"

The rams are NOT going offense in round one, i dont care if we sign jenkins, deacon jones and merlin olsen before the draft. We could still use a top notch corner to go with hill and both hall and reevis will be available.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The article brings up a very interesting point. As the draft approached last year, the first round talk related to the Rams really began to start turning towards Jay Cutler. In the end, the Rams had a chance at Cutler but traded down and went defense in Tye Hill.

So what do you think, Clan? Is Linehan tossing the smoke grenades with a little more than two weeks left before the draft? Or is the interest in Ginn legit and he's a real target for us at pick #13?
    Hmmmmmmmm... Jenkins, Jenkins Jenkins...let see, if we trade for Jenkins our next biggest weakness is the return game....Ginn Jr. not out of the question.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

I hope all of you are right. If a team above us grabs Ginn and leaves the door open for Branch or a DE, Linehan would be my new idol.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I think this depends on what happens before the draft. Looking at Ginn gives the impression we're interested in case we want to create some smoke but also lets us evaluate a potentially valuable special teams performer in the event circumstances open the door to actually taking Ginn.

RamsNation is offline Registered User

I honestly think this is a ploy to get someone to trade with us (just like denver last year with talk of us taking Cutler) so we can trade down for later picks and a later 1st and select Justin Harrell . This being contingent on okoye or whoever is our guy not falling to us.
    Last edited by RamsNation; -04-12-2007 at 01:46 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why is this shocking to everyone? The Rams are all about offense. The Rams are desperate for a kick returner. RamWraith had it pegged early. It is a very legit chance that we take Ginn in the first round. I would say around 70 percent. I don't think they are sold on Branch. Okoye, Adams and Carriker will probably be gone.

I guarantee you that if Ginn is there and he's the BPA on the Rams board, they'll draft him.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

Hmmmmmmmm... Jenkins, Jenkins Jenkins...let see, if we trade for Jenkins our next biggest weakness is the return game....Ginn Jr. not out of the question.
    Our next biggest need is Defensive End not Kick Returner, we had virtually no pass rush last year, I'm hoping we take Jamaal Anderson or Jarvis Moss. I think its all smoke and mirrors to get someone ahead of us to take him in order for a good defensive player to drop to us. there are plenty of good kick returning prospects in the draft ala, Steve Breaston, Ryne Robinson, and Yamon Figurs all of whom are projected for the late rounds.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's see what Carmak has to say about this one.....

The answer is: Smoke

What are Cheech & Chong's favorite pastime, a great way to cook a turkey, and the Rams interest in Ginn?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

bozo, you have to be kidding , maybe anderson , he only did22 rep's at combine , he is kinda a 1 dimentional player , big , but not really strong , but MOSS in the first he did 17 rep's , brady quinn did 24-25 . moss is not a #13 pick . and if i had to pick one of these guy's , i would have to say , and this hurts me because i called PAT KIRWIN a crack head for thinking this , but i would take REVIS , in the first before GINN . or FIGURES in a later round . even wilson , to get a double value . i never really saw GINN as a good reiceiver .

keith m. klink Guest

so i hope this is just a ploy to get someone to trade up , that really was hoping that GINN would fall to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast