RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Okay here is wild switch to 3-4 defense draft

I would like to see us get a free agent C. Ideally sign Jason Brown or Matt Birk.

Free Agent:
    Jason Brown C 6'3 320

Draft:
    Rd1 Aaron Curry LB 6'3 250
    Rd2 Ron Brace NT 6'3 325
    Rd3 Fenuki Tupou OT 6'6 325
    Rd4 Domonique Johnson CB 6'2 200
    Rd5 Sammie Lee Hill DE 6'4 325
    Rd6 Curtis Taylor SS 6'3 205
    Rd7 Quinn Johnson FB 6'1 265 (May need to package a late comp pick to move up & get him)

Our new defense:

LE - Hill 6'4 325
    NT - Brace 6'3 325
    RE - Carriker 6'6 310

LB - Long 6'3 265
    LB -Witherspoon 6'1 240
    LB - Curry 6'3 250
    LB - Little 6'3 265

CB - Bartell 6'1 210
    CB - Johnson 6'2 200 4.4 - alternates Hill 5'10 185, King 5'11 195

FS - Atogwe 5'11 210
    SS - Taylor 6'3 205 4.5

Defensive review:
    We could switch to a 3-4 with Brace as a NT and Carriker and Hill at DE which they have played in college. I know Spags has not done this much but it would allow us to get bigger and apply pressure. 325, 325, and 310 would be good size for the front three.

Drafting Curry and moving Little and Long to LB along with Witherspoon would give us a stout LB crew that all could blitz the passer. Imagine trying to run against this crew.

Bartell did a good job at CB last year and parring his 6'1 210 frame with another 6'2 200 frame that can run a 4.4 40 would help against bigger receivers and in run support. Tye Hill and Justin King could be used at nickle back.

Atogwe has been a lone ranger in the safety department with Chavous not supplying much production. Pairing him with a 6'3 205 SS who can run a 4.5 40 and hit hard would help improve our secondary.

Our new offense:

QB - Bulger 6'3 205
    RB - Jackson 6'2 235
    FB - Johnson 6'1 265
    TE - McMichael 6'3 255

WR - Avery 5'11 185
    WR - Bennett 6'5 200 - alternate Burton 6'1 200, Stanley 5'11 180

LT - Pace 6'7 325 (Restructurer contract) alternate Barron 6'7 315
    LG - Incognito 6'3 320 alternate Setterstrom 6'4 315
    C - Brown 6'3 320 (FA)
    RG - Bell 6'4 295 alternate Greco 6'4 315
    RT - Tupou 6'6 325 alternate Barron 6'7 315, Greco 6'4 315

Offensive review:
    Bulger will be better with the an improved OL, running game, FB, and Mc Michael back at TE.

Jackson will be even better if healthy and has a big FB (6'1 265) blocking for him and a bigger OL. We have needed a good FB for a long time Hedgecock looked decent but was not good until he left here. James Hodgins was the last good FB we have had. Johnson at 6'1 265 might be the next good blocking FB for the Rams.

TE play has suffered when we dont have McMichael which has been often. If he is healthy he could be a big time contributor.

WR will be better with Avery, Burton, and Stanley having another year under their belt and improved OL play. Bennett if healthy could be a lot better then people think. Avery is the burner, Bennett the big target, and Burton and Stanley pushing for a starting position.

OL will be greatly improved having Brown at C (6'3 320) and the additions of Setterstrom and Tupou. Tupou and Greco could push Barron for a starting OT position. Incognito and Bell could both be pushed for their starting position by Greco and Setterstrom (looked good prior to injuries). Bell may also bulk up this offseason which would help his play. Looking at that OL if Greco beats out Bell you are looking at an OL of 315, 320, 320, 325, & 325 thats one big OL.

One thing this does that the Rams have talked about is help us get bigger. All the guys that I suggested getting are big for their position.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: Okay here is wild switch to 3-4 defense draft

So What ur trying to say is start every rookie we draft from day 1????

1st we need to see if all the rookies make the team! lol!

Steve Spagnuolo is a 4-3 guy and now ur saying in his 1st year as a head coach he will change his scheme??????????

Little is getting old now and i do not think he will transition back to his normal position. Chris long will probably make a good linebacker but he can make an outstanding lineman.

Also Aaron Curry is more of a 4-3 linebacker.

I dont think we will draft a Fullbak anymore. Cuz we are going to run the WCO and it requires plenty of dumpoffs. So i think we will be fine with leonard cathing the ball and Action Jackson running in a single back scheme.

Like u said it is wild and even if we do switch (0.01 %chance) i dont think we will start all of our rookies from tha start.

What should really make you laugh is the players we started last year at these positions.

Here is the starters they would replace from last year:
    Curry - Draft
    Brace - Ryan
    Tupou - False start Barron (who I said will be an alternate. menaing he could start)
    Johnson (4.4) - Fakhir Brown (who we released and then resigned)
    Hill - Pisa (In 3-4. If we still drafted him and went 4-3 he would back up DL and allow Carriker to kick outside some)
    Taylor (4.5) - Chavous (The living statue)
    Johnson - Leonard (who is not a good lead blocker)

Other then possibly Hill there is no one of substance that they would be replacing. Do you not think Curry, Brace, Taylor, and Johnson could perform as good as those guys last year?

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    Steve Spagnuolo is a 4-3 guy and now ur saying in his 1st year as a head coach he will change his scheme??????????
    I did not say he would. I said this is what I would do if we would go to a 3-4. I mentioned he has not run a 3-4 much.

Chris long will probably make a good linebacker but he can make an outstanding lineman.
    Long and Little are both 265 they sometimes have a harder time against the run when they are out weighed by 60 pounds. You have three bigger DL and those guys plugging holes it would help the run game. They could also get several sacks with the added pressure.

I dont think we will draft a Fullbak anymore. Cuz we are going to run the WCO and it requires plenty of dumpoffs. So i think we will be fine with leonard cathing the ball and Action Jackson running in a single back scheme.
    We need a FB that can be a lead blocker. We will run the ball a lot and I don't know why you would not take a FB with the 7th round pick. We need a good lead blocker.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-14-2009 at 09:45 PM.

I wrote this to take a different look at what we could do if we would switch to a 3-4. Here is a modification that could be made for the 4-3 as well with the same players involved. We will be losing Little next year and need another DL. Hill would allow us to move Carriker around more inside and out. It would allow for more line flexibility.

DE - Long 6'3 265
    DT - Carriker 6'6 310 Hill 6'4 325
    DT - Brace 6'3 325 Hill 6'4 325
    DE - Little 6'3 265 Carriker 6'6 310

LB -Witherspoon 6'1 240
    LB - Curry 6'3 250
    LB - Pisa 6'1 240

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Little is getting old now and i do not think he will transition back to his normal position. Chris long will probably make a good linebacker but he can make an outstanding lineman.

Also Aaron Curry is more of a 4-3 linebacker.

Like u said it is wild and even if we do switch (0.01 %chance) i dont think we will start all of our rookies from tha start.
    DjD just pointed out some flaws with your plan.... I happen to agree BUT I like the way you think. However, the reality of this POSSIBLE plan is not very realistic.
    Last edited by Dominating D; -02-15-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I think that your idea was awesome. I have often fantasized of going to a 3-4 scheme. However I have to agree that I dont think that its possible seeing that its spags first year coaching and that hes more of a 4-3 kind of guy. I thought it was a great thread.

djdeeznutz Guest

listen RamsSB99 i was thinking about a 3-4 in early January when rumurs of Rex Ryan were coming. Your idea would be good if we dont start as many rookies cuz how do we know they wont be a bust. Look for us to fill in holes during FA (we might not make that big splash by getting Gross but we will do a good job)
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-16-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Your idea would be good if we dont start as many rookies cuz how do we know they wont be a bust.
    I was projecting that they win that spot. Thats not to say that they would but you never answered my question.

Curry - Draft
    Brace - Ryan
    Tupou - False start Barron (who I said will be an alternate. menaing he could start)
    Hill - Pisa (In 3-4. If we still drafted him and went 4-3 he would back up DL and allow Carriker to kick outside some)

Other then possibly Hill there is no one of substance that they would be replacing. Do you not think Curry, Brace, Taylor, and Johnson could perform as good as those guys last year?

We have more starting positions on this team to fill then we could possibly fill through free agency. When you are as bad as we are at several positions you need to start a youth movement. I don't want to spend big dollars in free agency on mediocre players that will not help this team long term. With 32 teams you will often find a team that is good looking to improve at one or two spots over paying for mediocre players. We are not that close right now we need to fill more then 1 or 2 positions. What money we do spend in free agency should be on younger good players such as Jason Brown.

We have several bad starters with no one to replace them.
    I would say we don't have true players at these positions:
    SS - (no one)
    CB - (Fakhir is gone and Hill and King are just like rookies they have proven nothing yet)
    MLB - (Spoon will be OLB)
    FB - (Leonard is not a FB that will help in the running game and just because we are going to the WCO don't mean we will not use the FB with Jackson as our best weapon)
    NT - (Ryan has not proven worthy of being a starter and Wrotten has not played much and is as suspect as a rookie)
    OT - Barron has not lived up to the hype just yet and Pace is a banana pill away from the DL

I could see Tupou having a tough time beating Barron as a rookie and thats why I said Barron as an alternate starter.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You're really asking a lot to have so many rookies contributing as starters right away. I would start Ryan or Adeyanju at 3-4 DE before I'd insert Hill. I wouldn't start Johnson over Brown (or whomever our other projected starting corner would be), nor would I feel great about starting Taylor over Chavous/Johnson.

I say this because, while these rookies have the potential to end up being better than the people from 2008 you've compared them to, I don't believe many of them are better than those players by the fall of 2009.

What's interesting is that you don't have the Rams making a single free agent signing outside of Brown. We could very well go out and sign a safety or defensive lineman or a fullback, but you didn't factor those possibilities in. The rookies in your starting line-up are there because you didn't give the Rams any other options. I'm still not sure how Hill and Pisa are pitted against each other in that scenario.

At his age, I don't think Little transitions well to being a full-time stand up linebacker. Additionally, Chris Long spent last summer and fall acclimating himself to the nuances of playing 4-3 DE. Now we're going to shift him to 3-4 OLB? It means another year of learning a new position, which makes it hard for him to truly be as effective as he can be. I think Witherspoon is miscast as an ILB in the 3-4. His ability to hold up as a MLB with four DL in front of him is questionable; removing a lineman and asking him to continue to play inside... I don't see it as ideal.

Offensively, there are some improvements but also some questions. Johnson is a fine fullback but is limited as an offensive weapon. You have the Rams cutting Holt it seems, but you haven't added talent to that unit at all so it's weaker off. Brown is a big improvement at center but the Rams still lack an eventual replacement for Pace, which IMO they need to come away with after this offseason. I suspect a rookie tackle would probably be as efficient as Barron when it comes to blocking. Not sure why Incognito and Bell got flipped around. Having McMichael back is a plus, but that's going to happen regardless.

Overall I'm just not a fan, primarily because of your emphasis on getting all of these rookies in the line-up. But also because even with a good offseason's worth of acquisitions, I think we're short a number of positions to make a 3-4 switch work. Combined with Spags not having a history in the 3-4, and I just don't see it as very realistic.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I was projecting that they win that spot. Thats not to say that they would but you never answered my question.

Curry - Draft
    Brace - Ryan

We have more starting positions on this team to fill then we could possibly fill through free agency. When you are as bad as we are at several positions you need to start a youth movement. I don't want to spend big dollars in free agency on mediocre players that will not help this team long term. With 32 teams you will often find a team that is good looking to improve at one or two spots over paying for mediocre players. We are not that close right now we need to fill more then 1 or 2 positions. What money we do spend in free agency should be on younger good players such as Jason Brown.

We have several bad starters with no one to replace them.
    I would say we don't have true players at these positions:
    SS - (no one)
    CB - (Fakhir is gone and Hill and King are just like rookies they have proven nothing yet)
    MLB - (Spoon will be OLB)
    FB - (Leonard is not a FB that will help in the running game and just because we are going to the WCO don't mean we will not use the FB with Jackson as our best weapon)
    NT - (Ryan has not proven worthy of being a starter and Wrotten has not played much and is as suspect as a rookie)
    OT - Barron has not lived up to the hype just yet and Pace is a banana pill away from the DL

I could see Tupou having a tough time beating Barron as a rookie and thats why I said Barron as an alternate starter.
    Fine il answer ur question

1st off i am not sold at all in drafting Curry i am all for Crabtree. But if we do draft Curry then he will start.

If we take Brace he will not be a starter. I dont think Cliff Ryan was bad. Brace would help with the DL substitutions that Spags is so good with

Id start Barron over Tupou anyday. Cuz yea Barron has gotton plenty of False starts but the # of False starts per year have been going down and if he now has stability ar OL coach so he might be do for a solid year. (remember i never said great year.)

Yea we may have released an re-signed Fakir Brown and yea he does get lost in coverage but if there is a pre-season battle at CB Tye Hill will win cuz covering a college wideout is differnt from a NFL WR. But Johnson could start in 2010.

I dont know why people dont think Pisa is good. If Spoon moves to WLB Pisa could transition to SLB. Are u forgeting that Pisa got 104 tackles and 3 sacks. Plus right now he is our best coverage LB.

I dont think the draft will be the place we are going to get our starting SS it is going to be FA. James Butler will be the guy but Taylor could fill in a back up role.

Johnson will be our starting FB if we take him i dont think we need a starting Fullback. in the WCO there will be many RB dump offs and screens. So i think a 2 RB set of S-Jax and Leonard could do . But Johnson would be the starter.

SO only 2 rookies start witch would be good cuz they still need to make the tranistion to the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Do you not think Curry, Brace, Taylor, and Johnson could perform as good as those guys last year?

Curry would not be an improvement over spoon but will be an improvement to the LB core.

Brace will not be much of an improvement cuz remember Ryan had to split time with GLover. and in college he had a NT in Raji so he did not have to be the guy.

Taylor would be an improvement but will not start.

Johnson would be but i just dont thin S-jax needs a FB. He could go Single back and get his own yards.
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-16-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: didn answer bold question

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

RamsSB99, personally, I'm pulling for your theory. I hope you are exactly right. Because if the new regime can grab 7 starters with 7 picks, it will be the greatest draft since the '74 Steelers. The new decision makers will have my full confidence, no doubt.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thermobee is offline Registered User

If this actually happens, it would be a dream come true!

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4. I would like to see the Rams pick up another DT/NT in draft (Sammie Lee Hill 6'4" 328 or Dorell Scott 6'4" 320 projecting 4th-7th rounds in draft )and a undrafted free agent (Antonio Dixon 6'3" 328 Miami was projected 3rd round until knee injury during season now projects undrafted freeagent).
    Running play
    DE Carriker. On Passing downs Little
    DT Drafted Rookie
    DT Ryan. On Passing downs DT Wrotten
    DE Long
    You could move people around for the freshed legs. The other Rams players on Roster DT Willie Williams & DT Antwon Burton. Glover retires and Rams Cut Wroten or League suspension the Rams will have to find more help for the D-Line.