Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Milan Guest

Okoye, Adams, C. Johnson admit to using Marijuana

"Pro Football Weekly reports that three consensus top-ten draft picks -- receiver Calvin Johnson, defensive end Gaines Adams, and defensive tackle Amobi Okoye -- admitted during their scouting combines interviews that they have used marijuana.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network also reports on the Okoye admission. Schefter obtained confirmation from Okoye's agent, Ian Greengross.

We reported on Tuesday that there were multiple players in the top ten who had admitted to smoking pot. The player to whom we were referring in our initial story on the matter was Johnson. We don't have the sufficient legal defense fund, however, to break a story of that ilk.

The PFW story says that the players have admitted to using marijuana. As to Johnson, we heard only that he admitted to experimenting with it.

The reaction to the news is mixed. League sources who contacted us regarding the issue on Tuesday took a ho-hum approach.

Johnson is the most surprising of the trio, and it's the only cloud (pun intended) over an otherwise spotless background. But it's still not enough to make him, in our view, anything other than the No. 1 prospect in the draft.

An obvious question that arises regarding this issue is whether the admission is enough to qualify a guy for inclusion in the league's substance-abuse program. The answer is: It depends.

Behavior can be enough, as Randy Moss almost found out in 2005. After admitting to smoking marijuana "once in a blue moon," Randy's handlers had to do some fancy verbal dancing to keep him out of the program."
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Most people probably won't care about this. I think it's a knock on their character, do you guys still feel the same about drafting Okoye?

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Re: Okoye, Adams, C. Johnson admit to using Marijuana

I would still draft Okoye in a heartbeat

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I would much rather have a guy with a spotless record, personally.

Drug abuse might just be the tip of the iceberg.

RamsFan16 Guest

Who cares? I know its illegal but I bet more than 5 players on the Rams smoke it.

Some people think its a big deal, but I don't. I have plenty of classmates that do it too.

RamsNation Guest

Well, it makes me want to draft him more. Just imagine how he would play if we could get him to stop smoking weed! For real, it bothers me none. Ive smoked it, when I was 19 and for about a month I was a pot head, then I got over it and havent touched it since. I say Pick him.

max
    max is offline Registered User

I'm off the Okoye bandwagon. The pot smoking is just one part of it. I think he is overrated to begin with. He didn't play that well at Louisville. He is undersized. I think he is gaming the system. And I believe we are getting Jenkins.

I would actually take Ginn over Okoye at this point.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Total non-issue. The fact that he has tried it at some point in his life doesn't indicate a pattern of behavior or an addiction.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Who cares?
    EVERYONE has tried it..once or twice.
    Just because they play football...they're expected to NOT do what others their age do? I mean...seriously. It's no problem.
    Wroten, part of the reason his stock fell last year, was because he got stopped by the police..and admitted having some with him. I see nobody complaining...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm...

So Okoye was 287 lbs at the Combine, then showed up at over 300 at his Pro Day...

There can be only one explanation: THE MUNCHIES!!!!

As an aside, what does it mean to merely "experiment" with marijuana? Does that mean he put some in a test tube and added some boron and magnesium to see what would happen?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    I would actually take Ginn over Okoye at this point.
    Wow, couldn't possibly disagree more. It's interesting that you criticize Okoye for being overrated and undersized, as many could say the exact same thing about Ginn.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Total non-issue. The fact that he has tried it at some point in his life doesn't indicate a pattern of behavior or an addiction.
    Exactly. I believe he said that he tried it as a 16-year-old freshman. This isn't a Marcus Thomas situation, though. It's not as if Okoye has been gracing the cover of High Times or anything. I don't think this admission hurts Okoye or the other two prospects much at all. Now, if they'd been suspended for it or had repeated offenses of it during their college career, then we're talking. But simply admitting to trying it at one point is hardly anything to get worked up about.

RamsFan16 Guest

I had to post this.

This is the Marcus Thomas issue

RamsNation Guest

One more thing, people should at least give kudos for these gentlemen being honest in a situation where millions of dollars and careers are on the line. If they had something to hide, like they still smoke it, they probably would have just lied, like no telling how many have done.

RealRam is offline Registered User

It saddens me and frankly, I'm disappointed. :\ Nevertheless, if Okoye is there at 13, take him!

I hope the NFL continues to be proactive and will somehow work with the collegiate organizations to educate and help build character -- with or without drugs and alcohol problems.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just to echo some other opinions here... it's a non-issue in my opinion, no worse than a player saying they've "experimented" with alcohol before. I won't go into the whole moral/legal issue with marijuana... been there, done that, not gonna help anyone here or change any opinions.

For every one player that admits they've tried it, there are at least 10 that lied about it. Kudos to these guys for their honesty.

:l

-jake-

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Okoye tried it once when he was a 16 year old freshman. He had the balls to come out and admit to this fact, even though he knew it could very well cost him millions of dollars as it could affect his draft position. I dont see how it is a big deal.

It isnt like he was tested at the combine and they found traces of the drug in his system. They asked him and he just admitted to it. He is now 19 so hasnt touched the stuff for three years.

If anything, im more wary of someone with a completely spotless record then a guy with one or two very minor black marks. With the way the world is nowdays anyone with a completely clean slate is either Jesus himself or a liar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast