Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Okoye, Adams, C. Johnson admit to using Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Who Hasnt Smoke Weed When They Were Young???
    So far, that would be me and tomahawk. Anybody else?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

So much is going on in regards to the moral fiber of citizens.

This, the emphasis on character, is nothing new of course, but with so many professional athletes getting into such deep legal trouble -- especially related to the use of drugs and/or alcohol (ditto with celebrities outside of the sports arena) -- much scrutiny is thus brought upon young athletes that aspire to enter the pro ranks.

I totally agree with HUbison's views on the fact that an illegal drug is ... an illegal drug. I also agree with his post that mentions that not "everybody" has used, much less abused, drugs or alcohol. Thankfully, in every school and in every pro sport out there there are young men and women, or even teenagers for that matter, that are clean, exemplary characters.

Tomahawk, would I cast the first stone for not having a "black mark somewhere" as you put it? No. Never. But this thread is about the admission of Okoye for using (I trust not abusing) marijuana. To me it is disappointing but I certainly would not turn my back on him. From what I've read, I believe he is too smart to make that same mistake again. He has a good, strong background that goes all the way back to childhood in Nigeria. I believe he really has a future in the NFL and that the chances of him being involved in using illegal drugs or alcohol are minimal, even if he turns into a superstar.

But to reiterate my point, no, not everyone has "done it." I never have and hopefully, never will. Never had an alcoholic beverage, never tried an illegal drug. Never have regretted it either. But I have my faults and penalties.

By the same token, many names, Merlin Olsen, Kurt Warner, Aeneas Williams, and many more, can attest to the strong and steadfast recommendation to condemn the use of illegal drugs or alcohol. If they in fact did use these at one time, they at least don't anymore [to the best of my knowledge and trust] and will help young people to stay away from such perilous and unhealthy substances which, really, are simply an unnecessary risk.

I would love to see Okoye in a Rams uniform. And I would love to see him grow and develop into a full-horned Ram DT star with character and pride, perhaps with a 10 or 12 year career under his belt, an example to kids and football peers alike. An embassador of the game. A good citizen regardless of money or fame.

Again, kudos to the NFL and NFL Players Association for trying to restore some discipline and, particularly, character from within the league, even ahead of time, setting both paradigm as well as fact to the youngsters dreaming to play pro football in one of its 32 teams.

Amobi Okoye, welcome to the NFL. Look for the good in it. It may be with the Rams.

PS: Moderators, I realize how sometimes it is difficult to hover over the themes of certain posts / threads and I therefore appreciate, really, your dedication to the Clan. Please try to keep this thread alive as it may serve well to discuss Okoye's future ... and maybe not his alone.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Proud to say I never smoked it, never tried any drug, and never smoked a cigarette. I do drink on occasion, but never to excess.

I had way too many friends and family members who royally screwed up their lives doing drugs. Yes evenpot can ruin your life. I have 2 friends who smoke so much weed that their life is consumed by it, and both in order to support their habit ended up selling it. One later started doing acid and shrooms, dropped out of school, lost his scholarships, lost his fiancee and mos tof his friends. The other is just a box of rocks who can't remember anything and at 40 is still waiting tables and smoking up every penny he earns.

So don't tell me pot is harmless, it is quite the opposite for anyone who smokes it everyday. And all the scientific evidence backs that up.

Milan is offline Registered User

I'm still 'young' but I haven't either, I've had many opportunities to though.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

I'm going to have to assume that you ask this question for one of two reasons:

1. You haven't read this thread to know that Okoye admitted to smoking marijuana as a freshman at Louisville.

2. You don't think marijuana is a drug.

If 1, read the thread.

If 2, the US Government would disagree with you.
    Ohhh yes! Since the US government disagrees with it..IT MUST BE WRONG! Yeah..no. I'm sure they'd legalize marijuana in a heartbeat, if they could easily put a tax on it...but they can't. They won't "legally" make money off of it, so they make it "illegal" for others to.

Back on topic, who cares? Really..They're kids. In today's society, many kids try it. Just because they have, does that mean they're already labeled a pothead? No...last time I've checked it doesn't. I'm a student athlete. Play WR for my highschool team. I occasionally smoke it. Does that make me a bad person/player? No..not at all.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'll up the count to five-

So Far

Hub, Tomahawk, RFTID, Milan and Bar-bq.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    Ohhh yes! Since the US government disagrees with it..IT MUST BE WRONG! Yeah..no. I'm sure they'd legalize marijuana in a heartbeat, if they could easily put a tax on it...but they can't. They won't "legally" make money off of it, so they make it "illegal" for others to.

Back on topic, who cares? Really..They're kids. In today's society, many kids try it. Just because they have, does that mean they're already labeled a pothead? No...last time I've checked it doesn't. I'm a student athlete. Play WR for my highschool team. I occasionally smoke it. Does that make me a bad person/player? No..not at all.
    Actually, Marijuana does hinder your performance.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Actually, Marijuana does hinder your performance.
    MAYBE If you smoke it..all the time.
    There's plenty good that can come from it.
    That's what they're teaching in Health now, atleast.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Okoye, Adams, C. Johnson admit to using Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    I'm still 'young' but I haven't either, I've had many opportunities to though.

Good job, Milan!

Good for you, excellent choice. ...I'm sincerely proud of you and the others too for that. Does this make us "better people"? It would be childish to think so. But there is a certain pride and virtue in not getting involved with that kind of sadness (even if it is often made a 'happy' sadness). Tobacco, illegal drugs, alcohol. We know better than that (I've never, ever, appreciated the "drink responsibly" gimmick [in this case I'd much rather be a bit more responsible by not drinking at all -- don't drink ANY of it, period! For me, it's that simple]).

I would surmize that Okoye isn't proud for that silly experience. Sometimes it makes an individual a little wiser to fall into a hole, even if only a ditch -- or merely trip over it -- to admit it, and move on with responsibility and effort for a better condition, for better health and testimony.

Amobi Okoye. Ahh, may this DT prospect be initiated with self respect, success and a tradition of winning in all aspects of his life! He sure seems to be on his way!
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-19-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Format

keith m. klink Guest

O.K , with all this being said , nobody should be mad and nobody should feel upset about being disrespected , in this country there still is FREEDOM OF SPEECH , and THE FREEDOM TO EXPRESS IDEA'S , and the FREEDOM TO QUESTION AUTHORITY AND THE GOVERNMENT . and it might seem funny to some and not others that this whole thing about smoking pot , and what players do or don't do i wrong or just stupid . i myself smoked when i was a younger person , i don't smoke cig's or pot , and i rarely drink (maybe 1-2 every 3-6 months or so on special occasions , one being the draft) but my morals are very high and intact , before my head injury , i was very intelligent ( without a college degree) i did great in school and was a top athlete in my school , while being high everyday of school . i don't judge people who smoke as being stupid or idiots or even evil . but i do agree with lLAW'S , and RULES TO BE FOLLOWED . the law is pot is illegal , you can agree or dissagree , ( FREE COUNTRY , REMEMBER) but the nfl has a policy , and that is NO DRUG USE, and we all agree on that . if they did pot in college , they only do this to themselves , not you . if they do it while in the nfl , they pay the price with suspention and fines . they hurt themselves and teammates, which THEY have to deal with . so everyone take a breath , noone here should be mad at anyone voicing an opinion or even a smartass remark . it is a FREE COUNTRY , and last i new , JOHNSON , AND OKOYE 's past or present had nothing to do with me or my future . nore yours . so this should be put to rest , and we should look to what we want to know about , who's being drafted and where the rams come into play in the scheme of things . KK

itsguud is offline Registered User

You're free to do so. You'd be wrong, but you're free to do so. Nothing offensive in my statement. The NFL has a policy against drug use, including marijuana. America also has a law against marijuana. Therefore, you proclaiming your Canadian citizenship as a factor in this argument is irrelvant. Well, good, so it was option #1 all along. Glad we cleared that up. Excellent, again we (and everyone else who has posted so far on this issue) are in agreement. Disrespectful? There was nothing disrespectful in anything I posted. One of us did take a shot at the others government, but it wasn't me. In fact, I even called your country the Great White North.

Disrespecting where you're from? Funny stuff.
    Man you have got some serious issues. Why don't you mock me a little more. Or better yet, why not just come out and start saying what you really want instead of dancing around it. I've already posted how I think you've disrespected me, saying "if they were auditioning for the CFL then my view may be relevant. I know the laws of the states don't talk to me like I'm stupid. That my southern friend IS DISRESPECTFUL. Why not just tell me to go to hell cause my opinion doesn't matter.

You know what, I'm sick of even posting about this... respond if you like but I ain't checking this crap no more.
    Last edited by itsguud; -04-20-2007 at 01:20 PM.

keith m. klink Guest

c'mon guy's , you both better apologise for getting all up in a bundle about someone who has no bearing on your lives what so ever , we can debate the issues if we want , but this is football , not the halls of congress , so let's leave this one alone now , we should all respect the free thoughts of others even if we don't agree , but some of this negativity is going to far for guy's who are , or should be friends or mates or whatever . so nock it off and give everyone around you a hug or something , and let's get back to football . hey , i don't get mad when NICK , rips me a new one every other day . so let's get back to football . KK. ya know i love you guy's and it hurts when you fight .

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    Ohhh yes! Since the US government disagrees with it..IT MUST BE WRONG!
    As I've already stated once in this thread, and now state for a second time......the US government does not decide right and wrong, only legal and illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by guud
    Why don't you mock me a little more.
    I don't even know you; I wouldn't "mock" you if I did.
    I know the laws of the states don't talk to me like I'm stupid.
    Then you already know that partaking in illecit drugs, like smoking marijuana, in America, is illegal. Please note, I'm not saying right or wrong. Debate that at your leisure. I'm saying legal vs. illegal.
    Why not just tell me to go to hell
    Because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123