Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    doubleaa is offline Registered User

Is This OL Too Scary

Barron, Bell, Brown, (Cogs or Greco), Loadholt

I am one of the minority that thinks that Alex Barron's skills are more naturally suited to LT than RT. His best season was at LT, he has more of a LT body type (tall, long arms), and just seems more comfortable on the left side. I saw enough of Phil Loadholt when he was at OU to convince myself that he'd fit Spags running game perfectly.He's a massive, powerful road grader . Plus, if Barron stays on the right side and still doesn't perform up to par we still have a hole to fill.

I guess the bottom line is I've finally confinced myself that Curry is too good to pass up and am in a quandry, so I'm looking to justify him as our #1.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is This OL Too Scary

Here's the problem...

Let's say the Rams go with this lineup (spending a second round pick on Loadholt), and it works out really well. What happens in 2010, when Barron's rookie contract runs out? Suddenly, he thinks he's a top flight LT and wants to be paid as one (look at the deal that Vernon Carey, who's a RT, received from the Dolphins). Do the Rams really want to pay this guy a boatload of cash and, if they don't, does that mean that this time next year we'll again be talking about drafting a LT?

If the Rams take J.Smith or Monroe, they will likely have the LT spot filled for the next 5 years (or more). Finding a suitable RT will be a much easier task. A guy like Greco might be able to fill the spot. If not, RTs can be had in the 3rd and 4th round every year.

I really like Curry too, but I'm having a hard time justifying him as the choice.

#39 Fan Guest

Looks alright to me, agree with you on LOADholt, a very suitable name.

Av, I don't think I could pass on a Curry because of worrying what kind of $$$ Barron could or could not demand and get in the future.

Assuming we get Curry, I'd be good with this

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The will eliminate anyone with character issues off there draft board so Loadholt is already off the board.

Loadholt arrested in 2006 for disorderly conduct and in 2008 an suspicion of DUI

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    The will eliminate anyone with character issues off there draft board so Loadholt is already off the board.

Loadholt arrested in 2006 for disorderly conduct and in 2008 an suspicion of DUI
    Exactly, I really don't see how Loadholt is an option for this team given their strict stance on character players.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

You're right, i think Marc would be scared of this line too

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Av, I don't think I could pass on a Curry because of worrying what kind of $$$ Barron could or could not demand and get in the future.
    But you have to. Especially when you have an opportunity to pick up the best talent at the most important position in that year. The LT is more important to me than the QB. You have a chance to nail down that position for 5 years with the best one available and don't do it the ripple effect of that will by equal to anything Zyggy ever done. You don't draft an OT, Barron leaves and Loadholt (who I watched quite a bit) isn't a LT at all but you draft him. That leaves you Goldberg and Loadholt at the tackles. THAT'S SCARY.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    You're right, i think Marc would be scared of this line too
    lol this guy is right!!!!!!!

I think Bulger and S-Jax will be scared of the line more than opposing team would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    I have been a big fan of Curry and stated here on different threads I would like the Rams to draft him. But, the closer we get to the draft the more i have leaned to J. Smith or Monroe. Barron has been incosistent at best and like stated before if he has a decent year he'll command way too much money IMO. I say draft the best Tackle available this year and let Barron walk at the end of the season. Eventhough the rookie will command big time money also, the chances are he will be way better then Barron ( which IMO isn't that hard to accomplish ).
    So I am officially on the J. Smith bandwagon... Go Rams.
    Good points. If the Rams are going to throw $30 million guaranteed at a tackle, I'd prefer it be outstanding talents and character guys like Smith or Monroe rather than Barron, who has underachieved and does not have a great work ethic or attitude.

thoey is offline Registered User

But... What if we get through this year with Barron there and then draft possibly a better LT next year? I am not a draft guru, but besides these two OT's that are similar and could be great or might not be, how do you say that you must take one of them and pass on what might be a better player all around.

Ok, I know I am a Curry homer. I will be satisfied with any of the three. But five years from now, when we look back, and we are speaking of Curry in the same voice as a Singletary, I would be pissed if we have to say, "yeah, but instead we got that *good* LT."
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    But... What if we get through this year with Barron there and then draft possibly a better LT next year?
    How can the Rams bank on being able to draft a better left tackle next year when (1) they have no idea where they'll be drafting and (2) have no idea if the value of a LT will be there?

Besides, if the logic is we can wait and a find a player next year, who's to say the Rams won't be able to add a stud linebacker next year as well? Let's not forget that, as a junior, Curry was given a third-round projection by the NFL. For all we know, another linebacker projected in that first to third round range could continue to impress and become an option for the Rams next year if the position is still a need.

If the Rams improve in 2009 and end up picking, say, 10th overall in the 2010 draft, historically speaking they'll have a better shot of still being in range of the draft's best LB than they would the draft's best tackle.

richtree is offline Registered User

Just playing Devil's advocate here., but we already paid Bell, Brown lots of cash...

I think it may be time to invest some of Defensive this year.

I say we go Curry.

I try to make a strong OL pick in the later rounds

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate here., but we already paid Bell, Brown lots of cash...

I think it may be time to invest some of Defensive this year.
    Using that argument, we already paid Pisa and Spoon a good bit of cash as well. We've also invested our last three first round picks on defense. In fact, in the last decade, we've invested twice as many first round picks on defense (eight) as we have on offense (four).

#39 Fan Guest

Remember guys, one draft pick isn't going to make or break this draft, or fix this team, no matter which way we go. More often than not, a good draft is made in the 2-6 rounds, and so long as you don't drastically reach in round one; they're the most important in a draft. Rams have alot of holes, and we need starters, no matter who is chosen in round 1.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Remember guys, one draft pick isn't going to make or break this draft, or fix this team, no matter which way we go. More often than not, a good draft is made in the 2-6 rounds, and so long as you don't drastically reach in round one; they're the most important in a draft. Rams have alot of holes, and we need starters, no matter who is chosen in round 1.
    So again, BPA of need.
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast