Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,043
    Rep Power
    75

    Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Why canít we start the negotiations with our pick? Today I heard the NFL does not want the draft too take place before the draft. Ok why let the first pick have such talks and get a deal done. They are off the clock we are on, whatís the deal. How great would it be to open dialog with both players and try and get him signed. We are 3-13 sure would be nice to have our 1st pick signed and ready for OTA. Let stop making the rules up as we go.


  2. #2
    keith m. klink Guest

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Thats because if everyone after the first pick started signing people , the NFL would have a very boring start to the draft if players are already signed . i NFL would like the RAMS to wait , and that is what LINEHAN has said they would do anyway . they want their money from the T.V. audiance , and if they are not watching because the picks were signed a week or 2 earlier the NFL would loose money .

  3. #3
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    I don't get it. I thought the NFL wanted a shorter draft. Why else would they cut the length of the first two rounds.

  4. #4
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I don't get it. I thought the NFL wanted a shorter draft. Why else would they cut the length of the first two rounds.
    Exactly. I think that it should go like this...

    The Dolphins signed Jake Long. This gives the Rams the chance to sign who they want. If they get a contract signed, the Falcons can start negotiating. They don't have to publicly release who the teams have signed, just allow the teams to do it and keep it behind NFL doors. This would make the draft so much shorter, instead of several gruling hours, which most of us don't want to sit through.

  5. #5
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,043
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    and that is what LINEHAN has said they would do anyway
    It would be nice to say we are in talks with Dorsey to see what Atlanta does.

  6. #6
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,909
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    I want to wait until draft day.

    It's like opening your gifts on Christmas Eve. Spoils the surprise and the anticipation on the day.

  7. #7
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,605
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Why canít we start the negotiations with our pick? Today I heard the NFL does not want the draft too take place before the draft. Ok why let the first pick have such talks and get a deal done. They are off the clock we are on, whatís the deal. How great would it be to open dialog with both players and try and get him signed. We are 3-13 sure would be nice to have our 1st pick signed and ready for OTA. Let stop making the rules up as we go.

    Why would the Rams want to screw themselves by negotiating a contract with any player? I say thank God for the NFL ruling. What on God's green earth is the rush?

    To me that would serve no benefit to the Rams. Instead it would only serve to handicap them.

    It is much smarter to allow the draft to take place on draft day, because you never know what could happen.

    How stupid would we look if we sign Chris Long to a contract and then find out on draft day, that we could've had Chris Long and a 2nd round pick or Vernon Gholston and a 2nd this year and considerations for next year?

    We'd actually look pretty ridiculous, and to say nothing of the possible future pro-bowlers we will have screwed ourselves out of. And for what? Absolutely nothing.

    The bar has already been set with the Jake Long signing, so it shouldn't be that difficult to hammer out a contract with whoever the pick may be.

  8. #8
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,043
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    What on God's green earth is the rush?
    Ask that when camp is going on and our draft pickis not signed and is missing camp.

    If Atlanta wants Dorsey lets put the heat on them, by starting talks with both Long and Dorsey.

    Maybe we find out that one player may be harder to sigh then the other.

    How stupid would we look if we sign Chris Long to a contract and then find out on draft day, that we could've had Chris Long and a 2nd round pick
    I think we would hear the phone ring as soon as the word got out and we would put the world out, that we are talking too both players. Did Miami just make a stupid move? Should they have waited? What did they gain? They have their guy signed, ask the Raiders how it worked out for them last year.

    To me that would serve no benefit to the Rams. Instead it would only serve to handicap them.
    Think about it...

  9. #9
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Why would the Rams want to screw themselves by negotiating a contract with any player? I say thank God for the NFL ruling. What on God's green earth is the rush?

    To me that would serve no benefit to the Rams. Instead it would only serve to handicap them.

    It is much smarter to allow the draft to take place on draft day, because you never know what could happen.

    How stupid would we look if we sign Chris Long to a contract and then find out on draft day, that we could've had Chris Long and a 2nd round pick or Vernon Gholston and a 2nd this year and considerations for next year?

    We'd actually look pretty ridiculous, and to say nothing of the possible future pro-bowlers we will have screwed ourselves out of. And for what? Absolutely nothing.

    The bar has already been set with the Jake Long signing, so it shouldn't be that difficult to hammer out a contract with whoever the pick may be.
    Atlanta is not stupid enough to (effectively) give the Rams a free 2nd round pick. They know if the Rams really want Dorsey, no trade's going to dislodge them, and if the Rams really want Long, well, they can have Long and the Falcons are free to take Dorsey.

    Of course I'm not a big fan of Vernon Gholston either, so missing out on him is no huge loss from my perspective.

    I also agree this franchise needs all the help it can get when it comes to contract negotiations. It's best to get the pick signed ASAP.

  10. #10
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,605
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Ask that when camp is going on and our draft pickis not signed and is missing camp.



    Fortuninerhater : And you think the 2 days between now and draft day is going to make all the difference? Please.....

    Rambos : If Atlanta wants Dorsey lets put the heat on them, by starting talks with both Long and Dorsey.

    Fortuninerhater : If Atlanta really wants Dorsey, all we have to say is we want him too. No negotiating necessary.

    Rambos : Maybe we find out that one player may be harder to sigh then the other.

    Fortuninerhater : The bar has already been set for the second pick. All the players know they won't get more than what Jake Long agreed to.



    Rambos : I think we would hear the phone ring as soon as the word got out and we would put the world out, that we are talking too both players. Did Miami just make a stupid move? Should they have waited? What did they gain? They have their guy signed, ask the Raiders how it worked out for them last year.

    Fortuninerhater : Atlanta already knows full well that we have interest in Dorsey. We've only managed to beat it over their heads a few times during this process.

    Fortuninerhater : Miami's situation is much different from ours. They were the ones with the responsibility of setting the bar for everybody else. Now that we have that bar set, it should be much easier for all teams to negotiate, particularly us.

    Obviously Oakland was in the exact position that Miami was in, which like I said, is much different from ours.





    Think about it...
    What is there to think about?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-24-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: To clarify confusion on who said what.

  11. #11
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,043
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Once again the NFL screws the Rams

    I guess I see opportuninty you disagree, Mike and Mike radio show where talking and said that Miami had an advantage having the power to negotiate, next year the NFL will change the rule.

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Trivia - Share What You Know
    By AlphaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: -11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live, November 6, 2007
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
  3. PaRamFan48 Chistmas '99
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
  4. Rams History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -02-08-2006, 03:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •