Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A Once-in-a-lifetime Prospect? Scouts Break Down Jadeveon Clowney

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: A Once-in-a-lifetime Prospect? Scouts Break Down Jadeveon Clowney

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Maui did you think the O line was not good enough this year? And if it was why do you think the Rams staff can't do it again without high draft pick to anchor it?
    My names not Maui but I'd like to chime in here.

Last year's line wasn't bad. The problem is, that same line isn't guaranteed next year.

Long tore his ACL late in the season and Saffold is a free agent. Two key pieces that are two huge question marks.

Not to mention, Dahl and Wells are both injury-prone vets who could potentially become cap casualties.

Add all these variables up and it equals the need for a first round lineman, in my opinion.
    Nick likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm kind of banking on the fact that Boudreau can take players like Joe Barksdale who was a third round pick and turn him a into starters when another team could not.
    Great chefs can make an average piece of meat taste pretty good, but I'm sure they'd still tell you they'd prefer a top quality cut to work with if they had the choice. While I think this was probably the best OL unit we've seen as Rams fans in quite a while, I don't think by any means we should get complacent and think what we have is enough.

According to Pro Football Focus, of the 41 quarterbacks who played at least 25% of their team's snaps this season, Sam ranked a very average 22nd in pressure percentage (or percentage of snaps under pressure) with 36.3%. That percentage is actually worse than what they had recorded for Sam's 2011 season under McDaniels, though his sack % from 2011 was much higher.

While Zac Stacy nearly hit 1,000 yards on the season despite not really rushing for a quarter of the season, he did it with a 3.9 ypc average which isn't great. In fact, Stacy's 3.9 ypc average ranked 22nd out of the 31 running backs who played 50% of their team's offensive snaps. That average declined after the bye, where Stacy averaged 3.6 ypc in the final six games of the year.

I think we should be cautious placing a lot of our eggs into the "young guy developing" basket. We've been waiting for a number of promising young guys on this team to take the next step (Givens, Quick, Rok Watkins, etc) only to be disappointed, so I'm hesitant to look at Joe Barksdale and conclude we're okay now that he's arrived, especially since he came into the NFL with a reputation of not playing up to his ability.

When you combine that with Long's injury and questionable long-term status plus the relative instability on the interior with potential cuts and free agents, I think this offensive line is teetering on the fence and could really go either way. It could continue to improve and develop, or it could fall back into disarray and become a liability.

An infusion of elite talent in the form of Matthews or Robinson would give them a much needed building block for the long-term. If a coach like Boudreau can turn solid players into capable starters, imagine what he could do for someone with top level skills and ability.
    MauiRam, chiguy, Rammed and 2 others like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Great chefs can make an average piece of meat taste pretty good, but I'm sure they'd still tell you they'd prefer a top quality cut to work with if they had the choice. While I think this was probably the best OL unit we've seen as Rams fans in quite a while, I don't think by any means we should get complacent and think what we have is enough.

According to Pro Football Focus, of the 41 quarterbacks who played at least 25% of their team's snaps this season, Sam ranked a very average 22nd in pressure percentage (or percentage of snaps under pressure) with 36.3%. That percentage is actually worse than what they had recorded for Sam's 2011 season under McDaniels, though his sack % from 2011 was much higher.

While Zac Stacy nearly hit 1,000 yards on the season despite not really rushing for a quarter of the season, he did it with a 3.9 ypc average which isn't great. In fact, Stacy's 3.9 ypc average ranked 22nd out of the 31 running backs who played 50% of their team's offensive snaps. That average declined after the bye, where Stacy averaged 3.6 ypc in the final six games of the year.

I think we should be cautious placing a lot of our eggs into the "young guy developing" basket. We've been waiting for a number of promising young guys on this team to take the next step (Givens, Quick, Rok Watkins, etc) only to be disappointed, so I'm hesitant to look at Joe Barksdale and conclude we're okay now that he's arrived, especially since he came into the NFL with a reputation of not playing up to his ability.

When you combine that with Long's injury and questionable long-term status plus the relative instability on the interior with potential cuts and free agents, I think this offensive line is teetering on the fence and could really go either way. It could continue to improve and develop, or it could fall back into disarray and become a liability.

An infusion of elite talent in the form of Matthews or Robinson would give them a much needed building block for the long-term. If a coach like Boudreau can turn solid players into capable starters, imagine what he could do for someone with top level skills and ability.
    Agree 100% this is what I've been trying to say for months. Our line as is just is too old, too brittle and too mediocre. We have a great coach there so lets give him some thoroughbreds to work with. Our defense doesn't need a bunch of high draft picks to address the few week spots. Our offense has been in the bottom third of the nfl for far too long.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm not surprised by the poor numbers at all, considering after week 4 Fisher completely changed our scheme.

“So we’re gonna fix it as I said (Thursday) night. And we’re gonna have to ... adjust our offensive philosophy to I think what’s probably better suited for us right now — and that’s to hand it off. And then everything else spins off of that.”
    The Rams went with two and three TE sets and went play action. If the Rams where determined to run the spread and not use extra blockers Kendricks, Harkey and Cook, then I would say we need some "kobe beef" up front.

The offensive line has been the oldest and most often injuries group over the last two years. I'm all for drafting a few young guys to for developing and add a younger vet in free agency. Not claiming that Barksdale has arrived but I did hear on ESPN that he did grade out as the 5th best pass protecting RT in the league. Is he going to get better or worse no one knows not even PFF at this point. My guess is that after free agency and the draft we will know what Fisher and Les really think. That could be the Rams running to the podium to draft the best OT on the board or not.
    I completely agree with this, but like I said in this thread. I have to believe that Fisher and Les will put a solid O line and scheme in place to continue to run the ball and protect Bradford. How they do it is anybody guess.

I'm sure coach Boudreau would do wonders with some elite talent. I'm not saying adding adding elite talent up front would not make us better because it would. I'm saying does the Chef spend the money on an average cut of beef so he can provide his sous-chef with only the finest ingredients to complete the meal.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-08-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not surprised by the poor numbers at all, considering after week 4 Fisher completely changed our scheme.

The Rams went with two and three TE sets and went play action. If the Rams where determined to run the spread and not use extra blockers Kendricks, Harkey and Cook, then I would say we need some "kobe beef" up front.
    According to PFF, Clemens was pressured on 36.4% of his snaps, one tenth of a percent more than Sam. The numbers suggest the pressure didn't vanish or significantly diminish when the Rams shifted to a power running focus for the rest of the season.

And again, I don't think we can understate the rushing averages of Stacy. 3.9 ypc on the season, but 3.6 ypc after the bye.

Even if we consider that teams may have stacked the box to force Clemens to beat them, Stacy only mustered 3.1 ypc against the Panthers with Bradford behind center coming off of two of their best offensive performances of the season. Take away the 21 yard rush Stacy had in that game, and he averaged 2.0 ypc on his other 16 carries. This was against a defense that finished the year allowing 4.0 ypc per game.

We're used to seeing some pretty poor OL units from the Rams in recent years, so I think any semblance of a solid group has us jumping up and down in joy. But when I take a closer look at the finer details, I'm not at all convinced that this group is enough to help this team reach the next level. You could argue the entire interior needs to be upgraded, and the two outside tackles are big question marks going forward. You're right, ultimately we'll have to wait and see how Fisher and Snead proceed because theirs is the only opinion that's going to matter in the end, but that shouldn't stop us from using relevant and available information to form one of our own in the meantime.

I'm sure coach Boudreau would do wonders with some elite talent. I'm not saying adding adding elite talent up front would not make us better because it would. I'm saying does the Chef spend the money on an average cut of beef so he can provide his sous-chef with only the finest ingredients to complete the meal.
    I know we're stretching this cooking analogy about as far as we reasonably can at this point, but if the numerous cooking shows my wife watches on the Food Network are any indication, that's not the case.
    Mikey likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

According to PFF, Clemens was pressured on 36.4% of his snaps, one tenth of a percent more than Sam.
    While I agree with your conclusions about the OL, as an aside, I don't think this "stat" is very meaningful.

Even if you could standardize the definition of the term "pressure," all this number does is divide "pressures" by pass attempts. There is, of course, another factor: time. I think Clemens rate of being "pressured" was likely increased by his tendency to hold the ball longer than Bradford (meaning that, even if the OL did a better job later in the season, the "pressure" ratio might remain relatively the same).

All that said, anyone who thinks that the Rams don't need to prioritize bolstering the OL (and, possibly, the depth at RB) is engaging in very wishful thinking.

Rambos is offline Registered User

According to PFF, Clemens was pressured on 36.4% of his snaps, one tenth of a percent more than Sam. The numbers suggest the pressure didn't vanish or significantly diminish when the Rams shifted to a power running focus for the rest of the season.

And again, I don't think we can understate the rushing averages of Stacy. 3.9 ypc on the season, but 3.6 ypc after the bye.

Even if we consider that teams may have stacked the box to force Clemens to beat them, Stacy only mustered 3.1 ypc against the Panthers with Bradford behind center coming off of two of their best offensive performances of the season. Take away the 21 yard rush Stacy had in that game, and he averaged 2.0 ypc on his other 16 carries. This was against a defense that finished the year allowing 4.0 ypc per game.

We're used to seeing some pretty poor OL units from the Rams in recent years, so I think any semblance of a solid group has us jumping up and down in joy. But when I take a closer look at the finer details, I'm not at all convinced that this group is enough to help this team reach the next level. You could argue the entire interior needs to be upgraded, and the two outside tackles are big question marks going forward. You're right, ultimately we'll have to wait and see how Fisher and Snead proceed because theirs is the only opinion that's going to matter in the end, but that shouldn't stop us from using relevant and available information to form one of our own in the meantime.

I know we're stretching this cooking analogy about as far as we reasonably can at this point, but if the numerous cooking shows my wife watches on the Food Network are any indication, that's not the case.
    Ok you got me on that one but I watch them with my wife and I can't stay focused. Might have to do with...
    A Once-in-a-lifetime Prospect? Scouts Break Down Jadeveon Clowney-padma-lakshmi-1236131.jpg
    Nick likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

And you may find yourself, with the second pick in the draft.
    And you may find yourself, with a need for offensive linemen
    And you may find yourself, with a chance at great defensive end
    And you may find yourself in a tough division, with tough defenses
    You may ask yourself, well, where do I go from here?
    Letting the days go by, let the Scouting Combine go down
    Letting the days go by, Pro Days follow, all around
    Into the free agency, too, till' the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime, offensive lineman or the Clown.

Same as it ever was?
    citr92 likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Good thing is the draft is later in the offseason so by then the Rams should know:

- how Jake Long's recovery is going
    - whether or not Saffold is re-signed
    - whether or not Dahl and Wells are cut

Now if Long looks good and Saffold resigns I'd be more than happy to take Clowney at #2 and focus on our secondary with the 13th pick (unless we could trade down, which I'd be fine grabbing Matthews or Robinson at that point). With our 2nd and 3rd round picks we could go OG and CB/S to help out both our offense and defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12